• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Argyle

Anyone? :(

So far I'm planning on going to Disneyland, Huntington Beach, Hollywood and Beverley Hills. For food, I'm trying to avoid any fast food restaurants that I can find here and plan on only exploring unique places. So far I only have Bruxie's on my radar. Also what are the best areas to shop? I went to Americana At Brand in Glendale the last time I went down and thought it was lovely.

Probably not many people replied because of jstevenson's post above. My list (at least for food) would be slightly different.

I would skip Tito's Tacos. I love Tito's, but I wouldn't take someone from out of town there. Tito's is like...Mexican-American comfort food. Basically hard shell tacos with shredded beef and (optional) cheese in it.

I agree on Jitlada (although I haven't made it there myself) and also agree on Kogi, the truck that blew the food truck craze wide open here in LA, and IMHO deservedly so. If you don't want to drive around town to chase it, you can always get Kogi at the Alibi Room in Culver City.

I also love Roscoe's (and I wouldn't necessarily skip it) but if it's fried chicken you want I prefer Honey's Kettle (in Culver City and Compton). No waffles there, but they will serve you fried chicken and hotcakes. Another alternate choice: Pann's near LAX. Great waffle and wings breakfast combo (which you can get anytime I think), cool Googie architecture. A few movies were filmed here (one that I remember was that Nicolas Cage movie Next which came out a few years back).

I'd stop in the SGV and get Chinese food somewhere. If you're only going to go to one place the one I'd recommend to an out of towner is Din Tai Fung in Arcadia, which is popular enough that they had to expand to two locations, next to each other.

K-Town might be an interesting stop too. I haven't explored K-Town enough to confidently recommend anything but if you want Korean BBQ and money is no object, I recommend Park's BBQ. We have a couple of Korean pizza places (like Mr. Pizza which I recomended above, and Pizza and Chicken Love Letter) as well, and if you haven't had Korean style chicken wings, you can check those out at places like, well...Pizza and Chicken Love Letter, although I think Kyochon and the like are better.

Another place that might interest you is the Seoul Sausage Co. which just opened up on Sawtelle in West LA (they are the guys who won the last season of the Food Truck Race on Food Network). I haven't been myself but I hear it is good (and I did try their kalbi sausage, when they had a booth at the Korean BBQ cookoff a few years back). That neighborhood has some cool places to eat, including Tsujita, which serves what is IMHO the best ramen/tsukemen in the city (lunch only).

I'll let someone else answer your questions about the malls, I don't go to malls all that often I'm afraid :)

beat

I'd stop in the SGV and get Chinese food somewhere. If you're only going to go to one place the one I'd recommend to an out of towner is Din Tai Fung in Arcadia, which is popular enough that they had to expand to two locations, next to each other.
Haven't managed to get to SGV more than once or twice, so I haven't been to Din Tai Fung yet. A family friend did take me to Beijing Pie, which was also delicious, and in the same sort of general culinary area (filled dumpling with hot soup inside).

Argyle

Haven't managed to get to SGV more than once or twice, so I haven't been to Din Tai Fung yet. A family friend did take me to Beijing Pie, which was also delicious, and in the same sort of general culinary area (filled dumpling with hot soup inside).

I generally recommend Din Tai Fung because it's a pleasant experience for an out-of-towner - the dining room, especially the second location, is nice, and the food in my experience has been consistently good.

I haven't been to that place but I have heard good things. Maybe I'll try to go before I leave town...

Linkhero1

Probably not many people replied because of jstevenson's post above. My list (at least for food) would be slightly different.

I would skip Tito's Tacos. I love Tito's, but I wouldn't take someone from out of town there. Tito's is like...Mexican-American comfort food. Basically hard shell tacos with shredded beef and (optional) cheese in it.

I agree on Jitlada (although I haven't made it there myself) and also agree on Kogi, the truck that blew the food truck craze wide open here in LA, and IMHO deservedly so. If you don't want to drive around town to chase it, you can always get Kogi at the Alibi Room in Culver City.

I also love Roscoe's (and I wouldn't necessarily skip it) but if it's fried chicken you want I prefer Honey's Kettle (in Culver City and Compton). No waffles there, but they will serve you fried chicken and hotcakes. Another alternate choice: Pann's near LAX. Great waffle and wings breakfast combo (which you can get anytime I think), cool Googie architecture. A few movies were filmed here (one that I remember was that Nicolas Cage movie Next which came out a few years back).

K-Town might be an interesting stop too. I haven't explored K-Town enough to confidently recommend anything but if you want Korean BBQ and money is no object, I recommend Park's BBQ. We have a couple of Korean pizza places (like Mr. Pizza which I recomended above, and Pizza and Chicken Love Letter) as well, and if you haven't had Korean style chicken wings, you can check those out at places like, well...Pizza and Chicken Love Letter, although I think Kyochon and the like are better.

Another place that might interest you is the Seoul Sausage Co. which just opened up on Sawtelle in West LA (they are the guys who won the last season of the Food Truck Race on Food Network). I haven't been myself but I hear it is good (and I did try their kalbi sausage, when they had a booth at the Korean BBQ cookoff a few years back). That neighborhood has some cool places to eat, including Tsujita, which serves what is IMHO the best ramen/tsukemen in the city (lunch only).

I'll let someone else answer your questions about the malls, I don't go to malls all that often I'm afraid :)
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in my initial post that it's all adults going and no kids. :p

I don't drink, so bars are out of the question, but I'm sure there are plenty of other places to check out. I'm formulating my list as we speak and will check out some of the places you mentioned. :)

Argyle

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in my initial post that it's all adults going and no kids. :p

I don't drink, so bars are out of the question, but I'm sure there are plenty of other places to check out. I'm formulating my list as we speak and will check out some of the places you mentioned. :)

Another place I like a lot is A Frame in Culver City. Same chef as Kogi - I think Roy Choi would be my standard bearer for what I like right now as far as food in Los Angeles.

beat

I generally recommend Din Tai Fung because it's a pleasant experience for an out-of-towner - the dining room, especially the second location, is nice, and the food in my experience has been consistently good.

I haven't been to that place but I have heard good things. Maybe I'll try to go before I leave town...

Beijing Pie does NOT have a nice dining room. It is only about tasty food there.

Also, I agree with you about Roy Choi. I picked my apartment because it's close to work, then I later learned I won out big because it's also really close to Chego. I cannot wait for Choi's forthcoming cookbook.

PG2G

Do yourself a favor...

Joan's on Third - Short Rib Sandwich

images

Son of a Gun - Chicken Sandwich, Lobster Roll, Shrimp Toast <3 (make reservations, though they are also open for lunch)

images

Also, please consider going to Mario's for Peruvian food. I find a lot of people outside of LA don't know about Peruvian food, it is FANTASTIC. El Pollo Inka is good too, and only a few miles away from the airport.

Anyone? :(

So far I'm planning on going to Disneyland, Huntington Beach, Hollywood and Beverley Hills. For food, I'm trying to avoid any fast food restaurants that I can find here and plan on only exploring unique places. So far I only have Bruxie's on my radar. Also what are the best areas to shop? I went to Americana At Brand in Glendale the last time I went down and thought it was lovely.
My wife and I love Church and State. It's in downtown in the old Nabisco building. My favorite thing from there is the bone marrow. I mean look at this thing:
xwcAC.jpg

The entrees are good but my wife and I usually go for the marrow, the charcuterie and other appetizer things. If you do go for an entree the pork belly is very good but heavy as sin.

Argyle

Also, please consider going to Mario's for Peruvian food. I find a lot of people outside of LA don't know about Peruvian food, it is FANTASTIC. El Pollo Inka is good too, and only a few miles away from the airport.

Peruvian food is awesome! I also recommend Mochica downtown (although I haven't been to its new upscale incarnation), and Pollo ala Brasa in Koreatown has the best, well, pollo ala brasa (rotisserie chicken) in the city. (Warning, zero ambiance there.)

Speaking of chicken, for awesome cheap eats there is always Zankou Chicken. The chicken tarna wrap is always fantastic, one of the things I will miss the most about Los Angeles...

Zyzyxxz

My wife and I love Church and State. It's in downtown in the old Nabisco building. My favorite thing from there is the bone marrow. I mean look at this thing:
xwcAC.jpg

The entrees are good but my wife and I usually go for the marrow, the charcuterie and other appetizer things. If you do go for an entree the pork belly is very good but heavy as sin.

I love Church and State and can't wait to go back. Unfortunately I hate bone marrow, I want to like it but I can't stand it the taste is so offensive to me yet I love all the weird shit like kidneys, liver, and ultra fat meat. Still everything I had there was great and service is top notch at least the night I went. Also prices are fairly reasonable too although they do stuff you with bread so be careful with over ordering.

beat

I hope they're good...West LA really could use a good Chinese restaurant...

I went earlier tonight. We had dumplings and more dumplings, plus three cup chicken and a few other dishes. The food was really good: nice wok hei, good seasoning -- I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do after their grand opening.

Anyone know of any mom & pop shops that sell games early in the LA area?

I'm dying for some Halo 4.
There is (or was) a place on Venice just west of Overland in Culver City that sold games early. I believe it's called Game Play, it's been awhile since I've been there but I had good luck in the past getting stuff early.

Argyle

Well, my time as a resident in Los Angeles has come to an end. I'll still poke my head in here from time to time to give increasingly outdated restaurant recommendations, but now I'm going to have to rely on you guys to tell me what the new hotness is for the next time I visit...

Zyzyxxz

Well, my time as a resident in Los Angeles has come to an end. I'll still poke my head in here from time to time to give increasingly outdated restaurant recommendations, but now I'm going to have to rely on you guys to tell me what the new hotness is for the next time I visit...

Where you moving to man?

Ok, so I'm officially looking for a new one bedroom apt. on the westside as the place I currently live in has horrible management + loud neighbors (family of 4 that let their kids run wild plus one of them snores so damn loud, I can hear it in my bedroom at night). What are the best places to find listings? My budget is around $1000-$1100 a month so Palms/Culver area are my best bet. Also, in your experience, is it worth haggling to bring down the rent? I really don't want to pay any more than I currently do but the only bargaining chip I can think of is to offer 6 months rent money up front. Is that even a good idea?

My internship is likely gonna be in Santa Monica... what should I know about the area? How expensive is it to live there

Very expensive, and places sell/lease/rent extremely quickly. Do you have a car? You may want to live in Venice or something and take the short drive up.

Top Bottom