• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

broz0rs

I used to live in LA for 20+ years before I moved up north to the Bay Area. It is so damned boring here. Whenever I visit, I try to pack in as many places as possible.

My new favorite Korean place is Kang Hodong Baekjeong, which is considered the most popular place for Korean barbecue at the moment. The surprising thing is that the restaurant is probably one of the most non-Korean friendly places I've eaten in.

There's also a convenience to this place in that it's in the epicenter of Koreatown's drinking culture. There are some famous Koreantown bars that are all within a block of each other.

The only bad thing is the wait. I've waited an hour for a table, but it's worth it. I recommend the beef or pork combo, as well as the dosirak (Korean lunch box rice). The value is outstanding.

Zyzyxxz

I used to live in LA for 20+ years before I moved up north to the Bay Area. It is so damned boring here. Whenever I visit, I try to pack in as many places as possible.

Been meaning to try it, but how is it boring up there? Sometimes I wish I could move up there because the food scene seems pretty much what I'm into now.

So, my San Fran plans fell through. Going to drive to LA in a couple of weeks for another internship. Time to subscribe to this thread.

Any LA Gaffers need a roommate? :)

hey all, just got into town last night. gonna meet up with some friends downtown this afternoon. not quite sure what we're going to do yet, but i'm excited. i'll subscribe to this thread.

golem

Mandarin Noodle House and Yamadaya are two of my favorites actually.. awesome food

Pho 79 is ok. Golden Deli down the street is better

The noodles arent all that at 101

Im not a fan of Santouka or Daikokuya (the quality has gone down severely in recent years. I'd recommend Shin Sen way above it). Actually I'd rank Yamadaya over Shin Sen.

PG2G

It is kind of hard to rate ramen when most of the shops focus on a particular style. It comes down to a mix of quality and personal preference.

golem

It is kind of hard to rate ramen when most of the shops focus on a particular style. It comes down to a mix of quality and personal preference.

Well, sure but Yamadaya, Shin Sen and Daikokuya all serve similar variations of tonkotsu ramen as their primary course. I'll agree that me not liking the shio and other style ramens at Santouka is more of a personal preference.

PG2G

Maybe you're right. I remember feeling the styles were different but I tend to just stick to shinsen Gumi because it is my fav of the group and is muuuuuch less hassle than daikokuya. So yeah, its been a while for me.

hey all, just got into town last night. gonna meet up with some friends downtown this afternoon. not quite sure what we're going to do yet, but i'm excited. i'll subscribe to this thread.

Go to Tsujita and try their Tsukemen. You dip the ramen. The broth is some sexy shit.

You have to go before 2 pm though and during the weekends you can wait up to an hour and a half.

woxel1

There are gonna be major street closures Downtown tonight because of a marathon, so be prepared for some potentially awful traffic.

Mandarin Noodle House and Yamadaya are two of my favorites actually.. awesome food

Pho 79 is ok. Golden Deli down the street is better

The noodles arent all that at 101

Im not a fan of Santouka or Daikokuya (the quality has gone down severely in recent years. I'd recommend Shin Sen way above it). Actually I'd rank Yamadaya over Shin Sen.

I can vouch for Pho 79...good place to go before watching a movie.

There are gonna be major street closures Downtown tonight because of a marathon, so be prepared for some potentially awful traffic.

my friends and i ended up going to little tokyo, we left around like 7:30. seemed like the right time to head out, too. after dropping them off in burbank, when we passed through downtown i saw a lot of streets were seriously backed up, guess we left at the right time.

probably gonna go somewhere else today, not quite sure yet. might try to find something good to eat in town.

Driving out of Florida in a few hours. I'm excited and nervous.

When's the next LA GAF meetup?

Ah nice, what route are you gonna take? My friend and I took I-10 pretty much all the way across. Just got slowed down in El Paso, Texas due to a random ass snowstorm. But yeah good luck on the trip here!

A little update.

I start my shift to drive and within 5 minutes a cop pulls me over. We wait a really long time for the ticket and he comes back and tells me that the computer is down and that I'm fine

But then I try to start my car up and the battery is dead. The cop doesn't have jumper cables and now I'm waiting on road side assistance while the cop is still pulled over behind me

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A little update.

I start my shift to drive and within 5 minutes a cop pulls me over. We wait a really long time for the ticket and he comes back and tells me that the computer is down and that I'm fine

But then I try to start my car up and the battery is dead. The cop doesn't have jumper cables and now I'm waiting on road side assistance while the cop is still pulled over behind me
How far are you driving? Get your car in order!

Well I should've turned off my engine right away. He took so long with the stupid ticket that my battery died.

Shouldn't cops have cables in their cars???

Zyzyxxz

Well I should've turned off my engine right away. He took so long with the stupid ticket that my battery died.

Shouldn't cops have cables in their cars???

Wait isn't it standard procedure to shut off your engine so you can't drive away while he's not paying attention or something?

Top Bottom