• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

4_30_10_map2.jpg

We can only dream.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You live in Culver? I just moved here from Temple City. Anything fun to do/restaurant locations?
Nope, but that's where I am driving from, I'm a bit west of there and not active in the city social life.

I'll rep Tsujita LA Ramen again though. Get their pork broth lunch ramen.

beat

You live in Culver? I just moved here from Temple City. Anything fun to do/restaurant locations?

Eat at Chego if you like really really bold flavors. (Chego isn't in Culver City, but it's Culver City adjacent)

Related: Chego just announced they'll be opening a second location in Chinatown this spring.

I dunno, there's a bunch of nice places to eat in downtown Culver City, but nothing really mind blowing.

If you like art books, definitely check out Arcana Books. It's in the Helms District furniture mall, and then that will also give you an excuse to eat at Lukshon (I've never been but want to ) or Father's Office (been several times, I like it).

PG2G

I have learned to never take the 5 to go to south regardless of day and time. I always end up regretting it :/

Just off the top of my head so I may be forgetting some:

Culver Blvd in Downtown Culver City
Ford's Filling Station - Owned by Ben Ford who's Harrison Ford's son. Good gastro pub with a decent beer selection.
Honey's Kettle - Really solid fried chicken, but you have to deal with the worst counter service ever.

Washington Blvd
A-Frame - Been here once and I still can't get over how amazing their Kettle Corn is.
Rutt's Hawaiian - Go here for breakfast and either get the french toast made from Hawaiian sweet bread or the Royale. I usually go for the Hawaiian Royale, which is egg, rice, Portuguese sausage, and Chinese BBQ pork all unceremoniously mixed together on one plate.

Washington Place
Tito's Tacos - Old favorite, not authentic Mexican at all, but dem Tacos. Don't let the Eastside cats tell you that King Taco is better.

Venice Blvd
Father's Office (in Helms) - I love their burger. LOVE it!
Versailles - Cuban food. It's an old nostalgic favorite of mine. I will usually go for the garlic chicken, but their lechon (pork) is good too.

If you are looking for good Carne Asada to grill at home, go to Sanchez Meat Market on Inglewood just south of Culver. They can either just sell you the meat or you can get it marinated to order, just get it marinated you wont regret it.

Eat at Chego if you like really really bold flavors. (Chego isn't in Culver City, but it's Culver City adjacent)

Related: Chego just announced they'll be opening a second location in Chinatown this spring.

I dunno, there's a bunch of nice places to eat in downtown Culver City, but nothing really mind blowing.

If you like art books, definitely check out Arcana Books. It's in the Helms District furniture mall, and then that will also give you an excuse to eat at Lukshon (I've never been but want to ) or Father's Office (been several times, I like it).
I still need to make it out to Chego. I went to A-Frame a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

rinse82

Is the Camarillo Premium Outlets worth the 45 min drive ?

I'm visiting LA from Mon-Fri next week and wanted to do some outlet shopping. Citadel seems to be the only option in LA.

Is the Camarillo Premium Outlets worth the 45 min drive ?

I'm visiting LA from Mon-Fri next week and wanted to do some outlet shopping. Citadel seems to be the only option in LA.

It depends on if you really, really like shoes.

And half-ass electronics stores.

Bars are 21+. You might find some sports bar that allows 18+ but they're not really the same.
Applebee's is the shiznit!

I can't think of a any bar outside of ones that are attached to chain restaurants that allows anyone under 21 to enter. Then again I haven't had worry about being under 21 in over a decade.

JEKKI

awww mans so I know it's no coincidence seeing celebrities n stuff randomly when out n about;

I went to this place called Blind Barber last nite in culver city,

afterwards I went to a nearby taco place to sober up when guess who I saw?!?!

YS1EJQ4.jpg

the based god himself... Gabe Newell!!

53QOPNF.jpg

I didnt say hi or anything... I was actually kinda pissed at daylight savings time and jus wanted to eat these tacos and stop being drunk so I can drive back to OC

beat

I saw Zach Braff at Ike Sushi. Funny thing: I overheard him making a joke to the sushi chef, I overheard my neighbors saying to each other "I love Zach Braff", I've watched pretty much all of Scrubs and yet it didn't register for me that it was him until I was getting up to leave. (I didn't say anything to him; seemed like the polite thing to do would be to let him eat dinner in peace.)

FStop7

Banned
I have seen a few celebs. The weirdest was getting on a flight at LAX after watching a bunch of episodes of The Wire and seeing Sonja Sohn (Kima from The Wire) get on the plane and sit down across the aisle from me. The odds of that...

PG2G

Had a Chinese beef roll in Alhambra. Now where do I find this delight in the San Fernando Valley?

101 Noodle Express has expanded a bit (even to Culver City) but the ones I have tried don't quite live up to the Alhambra original.

beat

The lack of southern BBQ around me makes me sad.

I went to Western Smoke House on the Westside once. It's pricey for BBQ, and the meat was just good, not great. The collard greens were legit great though.

(I guess I should add the caveat that I'm from Vancouver, not the South, for what that's worth.)

Top Bottom