• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, we will make the 20-minute drive there for lunch occasionally, and I sometimes go out there for dinner or weekends with the wife, who loves it.

actually will be moving quite a bit closer to it, soon (dangerous).

If you do go, get the moist brisket before you order anything else. It's by far their best meat. Everything is by the half pound, served on paper with white bread. And they have beer. They also have some sort of weird happy hour policy during games they are showing, but as far as I know it's ANY game? I haven't really figured out when this is actually happening.

pecan pie is pretty good too. side wise I'm a fan of their mac and cheese.

the only thing is I feel a little dirty with all the burnt orange and Texas stuff. But the food is so tasty

The lack of southern BBQ around me makes me sad.

Been a while since I've been, but I remember Baby Blues BBQ being rather good. Pulled pork, brisket, links, all that stuff, along with collard greens and mac 'n cheese, etc. My southern wife enjoyed it well enough. Lots of good sauces too.

Main issue? The cornbread sucks. I don't know how you can fuck up cornbread but they have.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Been a while since I've been, but I remember Baby Blues BBQ being rather good. Pulled pork, brisket, links, all that stuff, along with collard greens and mac 'n cheese, etc. My southern wife enjoyed it well enough. Lots of good sauces too.

Main issue? The cornbread sucks. I don't know how you can fuck up cornbread but they have.

So true. My only experience was from South Park when I'd pick up 70 person orders, so it was quite good as far as catering goes.

But that cornbread. C'mon, son. Get it together. Ain't nothing like my mamma's. And don't even start about my grandmother's. Mmhmm.

And now I'm hungry. Damn.

PG2G

I went to Baby Blues once and never went back. I don't know why its so hard to get good BBQ in LA. I haven't tried Bludso's yet, but have been meaning too. It is unfortunate that it is a Texas BBQ spot, because I'm a fan of swine.

I kinda feel like the ribs my pops makes kicks the crap out of any of these other places.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
LA GAF- I have a huge craving for a hearty Nabeyaki Udon. Where's the best place to satiate this craving?

shoot thru little tokyo...cuz I think I've read/seen a menu item like that when I was looking for some japanese noodles.

Say a dude wants to get from an Amtrak to SNA.

But Google Maps is being unkind.

But this dude - this handsome, skinny dude - distinctly remembers going into an airport from Amtrak.

Does GAF have any guidance for this dude?

(the idea here is to avoid paying almost $60 for Roadrunner Shuttle. I know the flight I want, I know the price of Amtrak, I just need a good way of getting to SNA that doesn't require me paying a taxi)

Zyzyxxz

But this dude - this handsome, skinny dude - distinctly remembers going into an airport from Amtrak.

(the idea here is to avoid paying almost $60 for Roadrunner Shuttle. I know the flight I want, I know the price of Amtrak, I just need a good way of getting to SNA that doesn't require me paying a taxi)

Look into Task Rabbit.

Use Metrolink to the Tustin stop. $1 shuttle to John Wayne? (why aren't you using Metrolink anyways? its like half the price of Amtrak)

Having The Wein for the first time tonight. So so good Nintendoll. Havent had a NY dog since I moved out here. Please come to on the lot more often, its where I usually get my food on Mon.

beat

I have no idea. Subscribe to their blogs and twitter feeds, I guess. (like @kogibbq, or @eatchego)

That said, I ordered the sriracha chocolate bar once and was underwhelmed.

beat

Well no word if they will reopen their original location but they are coming to Chinatown which is nice since its closer to me.

The old location is closed due to renovations and the Chego truck is parked right outside it... plus, I think Roy Choi tweeted that they wouldn't abandon the Westside. I suppose that still means they could relocate to some other Westside location though.

Zyzyxxz

The old location is closed due to renovations and the Chego truck is parked right outside it... plus, I think Roy Choi tweeted that they wouldn't abandon the Westside. I suppose that still means they could relocate to some other Westside location though.

Yeah honestly it wasn't a good location for that place in general.

JEKKI

I saw this today while on my way thru DTLA lol

hIMNrxm.jpg

it's a blimp!

Having The Wein for the first time tonight. So so good Nintendoll. Havent had a NY dog since I moved out here. Please come to on the lot more often, its where I usually get my food on Mon.

You shoulda said hi! Thanks much for giving us a shot, next time we're out there, I'll hook you up with a sampler pack :)

Anyone know where I can get good pizza? I live in Los Feliz, I've tried everything I know near by. I don't need gourmet, I'd just love a nice crispy thin crust cheese pizza.

You shoulda said hi! Thanks much for giving us a shot, next time we're out there, I'll hook you up with a sampler pack :)

Yeah it was great, havent had a hotdog that good in a long while. Wasn't sure if I should say anything lol, plus I didnt see you there, just one of the guys when I grabbed my food. He was very cool though.

Zyzyxxz

Are you guys open on the weekends too? I'm thinking of coming by next week.

Yup we are going to try for 7 days a week, although because its a soft open if we run into any problems we may close for the day, best to follow us on Twitter.

Anyone know where I can get good pizza? I live in Los Feliz, I've tried everything I know near by. I don't need gourmet, I'd just love a nice crispy thin crust cheese pizza.

Tomato pie?

I remember really enjoying... I think it was Garage Pizza? Something like that. Meatball and jalapeno pizza. BAM.

I remember really enjoying... I think it was Garage Pizza? Something like that. Meatball and jalapeno pizza. BAM.

Had my hopes up for that place, just went recently. Had a nice thin crust, but the sauce/cheese was very bland. Still willing to try their calzones though.

I love LA Pizza Company on Sunset in Echo Park.

I will put that on my list to check out, appreciate it.

Tomato pie?

That might be the answer, my favorite pizza is Tomato Pie. I figure if you can make it delicious without any cheese you've already won. I remember someone telling me about it when I first moved here a year and a half ago but totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

Had my hopes up for that place, just went recently. Had a nice thin crust, but the sauce/cheese was very bland. Still willing to try their calzones though.

That might be the answer, my favorite pizza is Tomato Pie. I figure if you can make it delicious without any cheese you've already won. I remember someone telling me about it when I first moved here a year and a half ago but totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

It's funny, I was just in that area last night. My friend that lives there said he's burnt out on Garage Pizza -- that it changed management or something and isn't as good as it used to be.

We ended up getting Tomato Pie :p

Top Bottom