• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Seth C

Use Metrolink to the Tustin stop. $1 shuttle to John Wayne? (why aren't you using Metrolink anyways? its like half the price of Amtrak)

Be VERY careful about that shuttle from MetroLink. There are lots of times when it doesn't run. I discovered that the hard way.

Also, anyone want to hang out the evening/night of the 17th? I'm in town for just two nights.

Linkhero1

Hey all,

My friends and I went to SoCal for several days in early January of this year and we're thinking about returning again in the summer. I want it to be a different experience than our January visit. Here's what we did in January in no particular order:

- Walked the Hollywood WoF
- Drive around Beverley Hills, Pasadena, Glendale etc.
- Universal Studios
- Disneyland
- Watched Conan O'Brien live

Somethings on my list for the summer:

- Disney's California
- Go up to the Hollywood Sign
- Visit the Griffith Observatory

Any other recommendations would be awesome, especially for the nightlife that doesn't involve drinking or clubbing.

thirty

Banned
Hey all,

My friends and I went to SoCal for several days in early January of this year and we're thinking about returning again in the summer. I want it to be a different experience than our January visit. Here's what we did in January in no particular order:

- Universal Studios
- Disneyland

- Disney's California

Any other recommendations would be awesome, especially for the nightlife that doesn't involve drinking or clubbing.
subway to downtown, LA Live area. Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach. The 2 Getty museums.

Linkhero1

Thanks for the recommendations. I was wondering something. When I went there in January, downtown LA seemed a bit dead, in terms of foot movement, compared to SF. Are there parts that are lively and full of people?

Eat a pastrami sandwich at Langer's. (My recommendation for anyone visiting LA)

Hey all,

- Universal Studios
- Disneyland

- Disney's California

Any other recommendations would be awesome

StopMakingSense has the right idea.
Top of your list, as in ENSURE THIS HAPPENS, is: Go to Langer's, get the #19 sandwich and a cream soda.

Best goddamn sandwich in the world. You also get the side benefit (?) of seeing how quickly LA can turn from "oh this area's kinda nice" to "holy shit what happened here?". Also, check their hours because they operate in a tight window (only lunch, pretty much).

Linkhero1

Is it really that damn good? I mean, I wouldn't mind trying a sandwich but I was actually trying to avoid sandwiches and stick to unique things I can only find in LA haha.

Hey all,

- Universal Studios
- Disneyland

- Disney's California

Go see this show. It's great. Not as Good as their last production, Point Break Live but still a blast.

http://www.terminatortoo.com/terminatortoo/HOME.html

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
StopMakingSense has the right idea.
Top of your list, as in ENSURE THIS HAPPENS, is: Go to Langer's, get the #19 sandwich and a cream soda.

Best goddamn sandwich in the world. You also get the side benefit (?) of seeing how quickly LA can turn from "oh this area's kinda nice" to "holy shit what happened here?". Also, check their hours because they operate in a tight window (only lunch, pretty much).
You mean to your wallet?
#19 - PASTRAMI, SWISS CHEESE and COLE SLAW Russian Style Dressing $15.20
:p

Was out this week and had a bite at Bob's Big Boy. Nothing to write home about, but very nice atmopshere.
Is a GAF meetup ever gonna happen? I've been here 4 months!
We had one, but everyone flaked after HPro wasn't going to make it. I still had a good time though.

Maybe I'll figure out one this at the end of this month/start of next.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
You mean to your wallet?

Was out this week and had a bite at Bob's Big Boy. Nothing to write home about, but very nice atmopshere.

We had one, but everyone flaked after HPro wasn't going to make it. I still had a good time though.

But Bob's OG vanilla coke man. So goooood!

it's meet up time again?? Yay!!

How does this happen?

1st ticket: First week in LA, decided to check out Venice with my gf early in the morning. Didn't realize the tip of my bumper was on the red (No such thing where I'm from).
2nd ticket: A few days into my internship, we have to get there at 8 but the parking doesn't start til 9. Forgot to set an alarm...ticket
3rd ticket: Woke up late, rushed to work (I lived in Arcadia driving to Santa Monica). Forgot to put money in the toll. Boom.
4th ticket: Visited my gf in San Fran. Didn't see the Street Parking sign way down the road.
5th ticket: I'm done with my internship so I've been around at home for the past couple of days. I have to do street parking and guess what today is?

Seriously fuck California for this shit. Makes me miss Florida :(

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
1st ticket: First week in LA, decided to check out Venice with my gf early in the morning. Didn't realize the tip of my bumper was on the red (No such thing where I'm from).
2nd ticket: A few days into my internship, we have to get there at 8 but the parking doesn't start til 9. Forgot to set an alarm...ticket
3rd ticket: Woke up late, rushed to work (I lived in Arcadia driving to Santa Monica). Forgot to put money in the toll. Boom.
4th ticket: Visited my gf in San Fran. Didn't see the Street Parking sign way down the road.
5th ticket: I'm done with my internship so I've been around at home for the past couple of days. I have to do street parking and guess what today is?

I mean, I've gotten about 4 over the past 5 years or so, but as you said, it was always my fault. I've never really blamed California, just my own silliness.

I lived in Orlando for 2 years. I would pay 50 dollars extra a day to be in LA so as to never live in Florida again haha

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

can't blame California for your tickets. you should've at least told some guy on the streets to give you info on the parking around the area

Seth C

You mean to your wallet?

Come on! I'm in town for two nights only, next week! Make it happen.

I've been in here since August and I haven't had any tickets. You really should learn the rules of whichever city you are living in. Also, LA has signs everywhere.

Is it really that damn good? I mean, I wouldn't mind trying a sandwich but I was actually trying to avoid sandwiches and stick to unique things I can only find in LA haha.

Langers is ridiculously overpriced. But goddammit, it is the absolute best pastrami I've ever had, and the #19 is crazy crazy good. You must try it.

Just avoid going over to MacArthur Park, where you might get stabbed, hooked on crack or converted to Marxism.

I mean, I've gotten about 4 over the past 5 years or so, but as you said, it was always my fault. I've never really blamed California, just my own silliness.

I lived in Orlando for 2 years. I would pay 50 dollars extra a day to be in LA so as to never live in Florida again haha

Yeah, Orlando blows.

I'm just frustrated that I can't even have my own parking spot. The only thing I had to worry about in Florida was finding parking on campus.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
But Bob's OG vanilla coke man. So goooood!

it's meet up time again?? Yay!!
Yeah I made sure to get a Vanilla Coke :p
Goddamnit, I can't escape parking tickets around here.

5 in 4 months. FML
I woke up late once and got one for each car. I think I paid more in parking tickets here than that old car was worth.
Come on! I'm in town for two nights only, next week! Make it happen.
I would, but I'm hosting an online tournament. Serious business.
If it's next Sunday, maybe? Good excuse to hit up zxyxyzyzz since I haven't yet if he is open.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Really? I have friends in Studio City and I still have to hunt down parking.

WHERE in Studio City is the key.

I lived on Tujunga until I just recently moved, and parking was abundant.

Living on Arch Dr. however (or in some neighborhoods south of Ventura), is a completely different story.

Seth C

Yeah I made sure to get a Vanilla Coke :p

I woke up late once and got one for each car. I think I paid more in parking tickets here than that old car was worth.

I would, but I'm hosting an online tournament. Serious business.
If it's next Sunday, maybe? Good excuse to hit up zxyxyzyzz since I haven't yet if he is open.

Sadly I'm only in town from Tuesday morning to Thursday around noon. I'll be doing my main drinking on Thursday.

bluemax

Banned
I remember really enjoying... I think it was Garage Pizza? Something like that. Meatball and jalapeno pizza. BAM.

Garage Pizza is only good for their happy hour special.

My favorite pizza place is Grey Box, but they only have like 2 or 3 locations around Venice/Santa Monica/Culver City.

Top Bottom