• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

k9advance

Neo Member
Repost from my other thread posted....

Hi, I am going to California this May for vacation with my family. Mainly I will be stay at Los Angeles and San Francisco. Can you advise/recommend a few place for:

1. Buying Wii U and Used game
2. Good eating/drinking place

Is there any else you want to recommend would be appreciate!!!

Sorry for my English, and Thanks in advance.

This thread is very long, don't know where to start...

bluemax

Banned
Game Play in Culver City is another excellent choice for used games shopping.

As for food/drink, what do you like? Where are you staying?

Garage Pizza is only good for their happy hour special.

My favorite pizza place is Grey Box, but they only have like 2 or 3 locations around Venice/Santa Monica/Culver City.

Do you mean Grey Block?
I've never tried them, though I'm not too far from one. I called them once to order a pizza and they never picked up their phone :p

PG2G

Looks like its just a split from Abbot's Pizza, which was good. Glad to see that as I was disappointed to see them close down in Culver City.

bluemax

Banned
Do you mean Grey Block?
I've never tried them, though I'm not too far from one. I called them once to order a pizza and they never picked up their phone :p

Yeah that's what I meant. Honestly I was super disappointed with their delivery service last time I ordered. They're 5 minutes from my apartment and it took almost an hour, if the pizza wasn't so good I would've been angry!

Here is a crappy lo quality cell phone pic of the pizza I got:

644557_10101464019649715_1915756022_n.jpg

Looks like its just a split from Abbot's Pizza, which was good. Glad to see that as I was disappointed to see them close down in Culver City.

It's not a split, it's more like a rebranding AFAIK. They use the same locations and have mostly the same menu. They still have a location on the border of Culver City on Sepulveda, that's the one closest to me.

I also want to go to that Brasilian pizza place on Venice near Game Play. Apparently they have $10 all you can eat. They don't do delivery though.

And since I'm talking about food, why are there like 0 good Chinese places on the West Side? The best one I've been to is Mao's and the service there is so fucking bad.

Thanks for the info, bluemax. I'll have to give their Santa Monica location a shot, it's pretty close by.

And since I'm talking about food, why are there like 0 good Chinese places on the West Side? The best one I've been to is Mao's and the service there is so fucking bad.

No fucking kidding, the Chinese food situation out here is dire.
We've been going to Dragon Palace on Santa Monica Blvd lately, and it serves I guess but doesn't blow you away.

PG2G

It's not a split, it's more like a rebranding AFAIK. They use the same locations and have mostly the same menu. They still have a location on the border of Culver City on Sepulveda, that's the one closest to me.

Looks like it was formed by the brother and once co-owner of Abbott's.

For Chinese you can try ROC Kitchen. I was very impressed sees and it got approval from the Chinese folks I was with. Beware of Westside prices though

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I also want to go to that Brasilian pizza place on Venice near Game Play. Apparently they have $10 all you can eat. They don't do delivery though.

I have a coupon for that AYCE pizza place I think. I've been meaning to make time for it, but I have a whole year. LMK if you make plans for it.
Thanks for the info, bluemax. I'll have to give their Santa Monica location a shot, it's pretty close by.

We've been going to Dragon Palace on Santa Monica Blvd lately, and it serves I guess but doesn't blow you away.
LMK when you are planning to swing by.

bluemax

Banned
I was also about to ask about game stores seems you guys answered already.

How's their SNES selection?

Also any good swapmeets or pawn shops in LA were i can find some SNES games?

Game Play isn't a huge store so I dunno how extensive their selection is. But the people who work there are super nice and basically the opposite of Gamestop employees.

Ill have to check it out, also ROC kitchen.

The other thing that annoys me are the lack of good Teriyaki places. Growing up in Washington where they're almost as prevalent as Starbucks its hard to believe I can't find one within 5 miles.

I was also about to ask about game stores seems you guys answered already.

How's their SNES selection?

Also any good swapmeets or pawn shops in LA were i can find some SNES games?

I'd also like to add World 8 on Vermont in koreatown south of los feliz. It's really awesome, they have lots of SNES games even consoles. Picked up a bunch of classic gameboy games recently when my girlfriend found her OG Gameboy.

beat

For Chinese you can try ROC Kitchen. I was very impressed sees and it got approval from the Chinese folks I was with. Beware of Westside prices though
Agreed on both points. It's good and it's got Westside prices.

JLG-

Game Play isn't a huge store so I dunno how extensive their selection is. But the people who work there are super nice and basically the opposite of Gamestop employees.

I'd also like to add World 8 on Vermont in koreatown south of los feliz. It's really awesome, they have lots of SNES games even consoles. Picked up a bunch of classic gameboy games recently when my girlfriend found her OG Gameboy.

Thanks. I'll go check these out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
it was especially egregious today. took me half an hour to drive from the ucla campus to wilshire blvd. i don't even think that's a mile.

gonna laugh (and then cry) when they finish this whole 405 carpool lane business and the traffic is exactly the same.

Have no idea. We cover 'em but I never pay attention. Music and shit I think?

We have a video game issue coming up next Thursday. Check it out. It'll be good

Cool I'll read it.

There are a bunch of kids walking by my house really dressed up I was like WTF is going on tonight. I mean these dudes have suits on. It can't be that serious.

beat

I felt it. (Palms, aka "Culver City adjacent"). Was really short, just felt like a truck hit the building.

Random question. Does anyone with Verizon and iPhone ever get their 3G randomly cut off to 1G? I've noticed that ever since I got here and it's pissing me off. And I switched from tmobile too

RedAssedApe

Banned
(palms here) that earthquake jolted me awake. wasn't sure what had happened as i had fallen asleep in front of my laptop after a long day at work lol

JEKKI

I went to the grand opening of Tsujita Annex over the weekend!!

best part is I got to eat dinner with the man behind goramen.com, Keizo, who owns a restaurant in japan called Bassanova which I got to eat at a few weeks earlier!!

check it here: http://www.eataku.com/post/31065889684/bassanova-ramen-setagaya-japan

d9009228afaa11e2a8b322000a1f9691_7.jpg

anyways it's real good but nothing mind blowing, I'd say Yamadaya level.

Tsujita proper I'd say is much much better, but this place is still real good!

I'd love to go back and can't wait to try the miso ramen they're gonna put on their manu!

Any recommendations for video game arcades in LA? Somewhere near the USC area would be great, but anything would be welcomed.
Japan Arcade in Little Tokyo! my friend works there lol.

Top Bottom