• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

I don't want to turn this into a debate thread about me vs him. Every chef has an ego of some sort of course we all think we are better than each other and I'll leave it at that. I'll let my work and those who have worked with me speak for my abilities.

Speaking about that. Where are you at now?

JEKKI

u know I know a food truck too!! called Shake Ramen!

it's ramen in a cup that you have to shake!!

I saw it at Twin Galaxies, but couldnt eait it coz I already had lunch,

(shout outs to Red Hot Kitchen! lol)

but they never update their website and twitter and say where they're gonna be so I donno but I really want to try it :(

Anybody go to button mash?
I tried to go last nite!!

drove right past it tho coz line to get in was hecka long...

I think it may have been the indie cade crowd...

82 is cool tho, they got Walking Dead pinball for 50 cents a play!

Went to Button mash tonight! Got there at 7:30, parking was a bitch. Massive line by 8pm though. It was fun, food was good, they were out of at least half the beers though. Played a few different games, beat X-Men. Good times!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I hate 82, so douchey and the machine selection sucks. Half the space is just wasted on poor layout an ddesign so I look forward to button mash.

game wise yea, though they had lunar lander in there recently.

I think their pinball selection is generally pretty solid though.

JEKKI

yah but they got Walking Dead pinball for 50 cents tho.

Museum of Pinball in Banning doesnt even have that, I dont think they got Star Trek either...

there's a house in the middle of the Walking Deas table and you can hit it and hit the door,

and I'm not sure if the door opens up and you can go inside, but I tried and wasnt good enough,

I wantto try it again.

I'll be in LA/Beverly Hills this year for holloween but don't have any concrete plans yet. Was thinking Universal studios or going to one of the nightclubs in Hollywood. I've never celebrated holloween in LA. So is there something I should turn my focus on?

Also where are the good bars located at in LA in case I end up going bar hopping?

Thanks

Zyzyxxz

I went there last night. It was fun but the selection is small.

What's Button Mash?

Another "barcade" concept but this one has food, not that I'm a fan of the Starry Kitchen food but they have their fans and Echo Park has easier and cheaper parking then Arts district.

Another "barcade" concept but this one has food, not that I'm a fan of the Starry Kitchen food but they have their fans and Echo Park has easier and cheaper parking then Arts district.

God parking in the Arts district is such shit.

I'll have to try out button mash.

The VA tried to give me one for my leg but I denied it. There are people that really need those spots. My friends think I am an idiot.

I'm def. disabled enough. (Bad arthritis, have 4 joint replacements, I walk unaided but not without issues) If anything gets bad enough definitely get it. It is truly transformative in terms of dealing with certain LA things.

I'm def. disabled enough. (Bad arthritis, have 4 joint replacements, I walk unaided but not without issues) If anything gets bad enough definitely get it. It is truly transformative in terms of dealing with certain LA things.

It's nothing that bad. Just fucked up my knee on a jump (acl) and sometimes I walk with a limp. The Fresno VA will give you one for anything. Maybe when I am older but not right now.

FStop7

Banned
Ground Kontrol in Portland is easily the best barcade I've been to. A ton of machines all in good order. Cheap cover. Crowd control. Great atmosphere. Someone really needs to bring that concept down here, particularly the crowd control bit.

Zyzyxxz

Ground Kontrol in Portland is easily the best barcade I've been to. A ton of machines all in good order. Cheap cover. Crowd control. Great atmosphere. Someone really needs to bring that concept down here, particularly the crowd control bit.

Yeah Ground Kontrol is tight! But rents in LA aren't cheap so I doubt you could get something with machines that only get by with quarter plays.

Blipsy's in Mid City/K-Town area is pretty rad. They don't have anything on tap but the prices are cheap and the place is not as crowded or douchey as most of the other Barcades.

I had the best time in LA; you guys really live in a fantastic city. I loved it.

First day started with a short hike up Runyon canyon. Then I went to the marina, rented a boat and sailed for about two hours (I spotted what I think was either a seal or a sea lion!). Then I spent some time at the CADE indie festival (tried the Oculus sleep paralysis demo).

On the second day I went on a 36 mile bike ride and had a nice dinner with friends.

After that I spent most of my time in Culver getting some work done.

I can't wait to come back!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, a UK gaffer here will be soon coming to LA for Eight days on the 15th of November! (meeting a nice girl there so to speak). Any recommendation for first experience of American culture and foods for first hands on?

Hi guys, a UK gaffer here will be soon coming to LA for Eight days on the 15th of November! (meeting a nice girl there so to speak). Any recommendation for first experience of American culture and foods for first hands on?

1. Does this girl have cute friends?

2. Go to Langer's and order the #19.

3. Let's get a pint.

JEKKI

I wanna go to the Gutedama food thing event they have at Plan Check!

I'm sad and depressed coz the girl I like stopped returning my calls :(

now I have nobody to go with, so anybody down to check it out??

http://www.sanrio.com/plan-check/

$40 before tax n tip I presume, but u get a t shirt!

I lived in LA for a year when I went to Occidental college, but I ended up living in San Diego. There's no San Diego OT so I guess this is the closest thing to that.

I don't see why this would be the worst city thread. It seems fine to me. Too bad there is no San Diego OT. I guess it's not as big of a city as LA, but it is the second largest city in California.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
it's cold and windy and we all have Fallout 4 to play.

Eater had their big awards today:

Sqirl and Jon/Vinny/Ludo both take home national awards:
http://www.eater.com/a/2015-eater-awards

Trois Familia is great. I wish it would pull some of the Sqirl crowds. I think JGold's latest list though has people hitting Sqirl again, last time I was there multiple people in line hadn't been there before.

Silverlake also wins LA restaurant of the year with Night + Market Song
http://www.eater.com/a/2015-eater-awards/los-angeles

Need to hit Button Mash soon.

Well shit I got a job an Fallout 4 to play. GAF is 2nd.

it's cold and windy and we all have Fallout 4 to play.

I don't play video games anymore. I've been spending my time drinking and going to art shows.

Eater had their big awards today:

Sqirl and Jon/Vinny/Ludo both take home national awards:
http://www.eater.com/a/2015-eater-awards

Trois Familia is great. I wish it would pull some of the Sqirl crowds. I think JGold's latest list though has people hitting Sqirl again, last time I was there multiple people in line hadn't been there before.

Silverlake also wins LA restaurant of the year with Night + Market Song
http://www.eater.com/a/2015-eater-awards/los-angeles

Need to hit Button Mash soon.

I need to hit up Market Song.

Top Bottom