• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a question to all my fellow LA Gaffers. What do you usually do with your car when you have to fly out of LAX or Burbank? I have only ever used SuperShuttle, but I recently moved and I don't think it will be an affordable option anymore. Does anyone have experience with the FlyAway bus (the Van Nuys one) or any of the parking lots nearby at either airport? I am all ears to your thoughts! :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Here's a question to all my fellow LA Gaffers. What do you usually do with your car when you have to fly out of LAX or Burbank? I have only ever used SuperShuttle, but I recently moved and I don't think it will be an affordable option anymore. Does anyone have experience with the FlyAway bus (the Van Nuys one) or any of the parking lots nearby at either airport? I am all ears to your thoughts! :)

Lyft has been running so many 50% off deals that's been my main method right now. Honestly any trip out of LAX - you're talking minimum 13 bucks a day for parking usually, so it doesn't take a trip too long to make Lyft or UberX worth it.

Flyaway is fine, though you pay to park your car there too. It's more of a pain when you come back (waiting for one) - or if you end up at like Terminal 7 and have to wait to drop people off at every other terminal.

Burbank I just park my car at my office.

It really depends on length of the trip though

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Lyft has been running so many 50% off deals that's been my main method right now. Honestly any trip out of LAX - you're talking minimum 13 bucks a day for parking usually, so it doesn't take a trip too long to make Lyft or UberX worth it.

Flyaway is fine, though you pay to park your car there too. It's more of a pain when you come back (waiting for one) - or if you end up at like Terminal 7 and have to wait to drop people off at every other terminal.

Burbank I just park my car at my office.

It really depends on length of the trip though

Thank you for your tips!

I didn't realize the FlyAway charged you for parking too. Jeeze. Also I can understand the pain upon your return, SuperShuttle has the same problem. It was like pulling teeth to just find/get on a shuttle.

I am just further away now in the west SFV and a considerable distance from my last place, so much so that the $13/day in parking might be cheaper than SuperShuttle.

I'll look into the Lyft options. Thank you for the coupon alert. :)

yup, that might be your overall cheapest combo. I think flyaway parking is like 4 bucks a day though, so not terrible, but I haven't used it in years.

flyaway ride price and parking have doubled in the past few yrs. still a good value though. new buses have wifi and shit.

Zyzyxxz

flyaway ride price and parking have doubled in the past few yrs. still a good value though. new buses have wifi and shit.

The last time I was on a bus (5-6 months back didnt have wifi) but yeah the flyaway ride is $8 now which to me isn't worth if now since I usually uber-combo it.

Recently I just took a bus shuttle to the rental car companies for free and then called an uber since its outside the LAX area.

Can't wait until we get full uber pickups though.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
The last time I was on a bus (5-6 months back didnt have wifi) but yeah the flyaway ride is $8 now which to me isn't worth if now since I usually uber-combo it.

Recently I just took a bus shuttle to the rental car companies for free and then called an uber since its outside the LAX area.

Smart! Lol. I like the way you think.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

lots of times if you drag the pin outside of LAX, and then summon the uber or lyft - I just immediately call them with their info after I get it and have them pick me up from the departure level, works like a charm.

that or take any hotel shuttle

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, I've got to say that LA is one damn city (UK gaffer visited in November) and I plan to move over there in a year or so! Will be living in Sherman Oaks area but I just want to say that I loved every minute of there and looking forward to being a permanent resident there soon!

Someone say Galvatron? JK

Hey LA Gaf does anyone here play a bunch of different games and want to start a podcast. Im talking about someone who doesn't just play shooters or mobas but plays all difffernt games for all different systems. I live in LA and want to find someone who plays a ton of games each week. Let me know. Thanks.

JEKKI

ayo wtf is up with Facebook?!?!

like I'm on my phone on the amazon app looking for nerf guns yesterday,

then today I'm on my PC looking at facebook and the ads are like "hey are you interested in Nerf Guns from amazon?"

like wtf?!?! I'm not even using the same websites, not even using the same devices to browse the net, yet they know all this hella creepy info about me!!!!

and it gets worse!!! another ad they showed me today was this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1780NShAeo

so first of all, that video is both the best and the worst thing I have seen today, I obviously could not stop watching it and had to find it on youtube after the fact,

but the thing is, I did take the metro this past weekend to get to DTLA from Long Beach, and it wasnt even an online transaction, I jus used my credit card and hopped on, so how did facebook know this?!?!

I imagine if I'm checking my phone while on the train the app is sending GPS data over to whoever indicating that I'm currently riding the blue line?

but also they know I'm into that jpop shit, and they somehow managed to combine the two?!?!

seriously tho, that's hella creepy! like I'm legit scared now...

ummm... but on the other hand, the Metro is actually really cool.

I live in OC so I can use it to easily get to DTLA, which includes the convention center, dance practice, and a lot of good restaurants. The time on the train allows me to catch up on reading and the fare is way cheaper than gas + parking. It just does a poor job at taking you anywhere that isnt DTLA or LAX...

Someone say Galvatron? JK
yah I said Galvatron.

I heard Scotty drank 5 of you and lived coz he's a fuckin gangster.

JEKKI

don't know, ask Scotty, apparently he's the only one who has ever accomplished it,

maybe you actually get to remember Katelyn??

JEKKI

man I'd totally be down for podcasting, it would be a good 2016 endeavor.

except I dont play games >_<

I only go to pinball arcades, hunt down PVMs on craigslist that I can plug my sega saturn into, and force my way into any social function or person's house that may have a Neo Geo.

seriously, when the hell is facebook gonna start showing me Neo Geo ads?!?!

Zyzyxxz

What bars should I hit up near/in Ktown? Friend is apparently driven to find some Asian girls.

His words, not mine.

Break Room 86 and Pot Bar are both pretty packed on weekends with Asian girls and white girls as well. Both at the Line Hotel so if one doesn't work out just go to the other one. Around the corner from there is also The Normandie Club which is not as much of a scene and much more chill.

Karish

This is a pretty random one - but I'm moving and trying to get rid of it. Anyone in LA that might want to buy a 65" JVC 1080p TV should PM me.

JEKKI

if u guys havent been to Museum of Pinball, they are open this weekend for another event!!!

http://www.arcadeexpo.com/

I highly recommend you go if you like video games!!

the actual place is wonderful! crazy that a place like it exists here in socal and I try to go whenever they open the doors for public, unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend so super bummed about that :(

JEKKI

I jus got back from SoCal Retro Gaming Expo!

it's 2016 and we FINALLY have a retro expo!

http://www.socalretrogamingexpo.com/

closes at 5 so prolly too late to go today, but highly recommend u check it out tomorrow!

just to look of course and be overwhelmed by all the stuff there,

as well as the prices for everything X_X

I feel bad for anybody who actually wants to collect and has to deal with the cost of the hobby.

for the rest of us, thank god for emulators and everdrives...

one guy had a small handful of mother 3 repros; they looked real nice with box and everything, but when I went past his table again he only had 1 more left lol.

couldnt find the one thing I wanted, a Gimmick repro, but a lot of actual rare games were present; I definitely hit a new record for how many copies of Flintstones Dino Peak I've seen in a given space (one guy was charging $1,100 for cart only -_-)

I also learned that apparently 3 Ninjas for SNES is rare too... lots of copies with a $90 price tag... Chrono Trigger is cheaper than this game lol

Cool! When I lived in Portland, Oregon, I went to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. It was a ton of fun! I live in San Diego now, so maybe someday I'll be able to go to the SoCal expo.

JEKKI

aw man, I've always wanted to go to Portland expo but it's during the time of year when work is so busy I cannot take off :(

I've literally been to or am going to like every retro con in the states expect that one lol

this one isnt as organized as an actual expo tho, it's just a section out of Frank & Sons so admission is free, and I have no idea where they are going to hold any panels tomorrow

aw man, I've always wanted to go to Portland expo but it's during the time of year when work is so busy I cannot take off :(

I've literally been to or am going to like every retro con in the states expect that one lol

this one isnt as organized as an actual expo tho, it's just a section out of Frank & Sons so admission is free, and I have no idea where they are going to hold any panels tomorrow

PRGE was the best weekend in my life! So much fun in the retro-arcade and walking around in the vendor area.

I looked up Frank and Sons. There's a collectible store at a mall in San Diego that sells figures and stuff, but they don't have any video game stuff, sadly.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'll be heading to LA in June. Anyone know any good video game stores that has retro stuff?

Also, last time I went back in 2012 I was told that getting around without a car is difficult. Is it still the case now? I can get an International driving license but driving on new/opposite sides of the road stresses me out. I take it my only options are Taxis and/or Uber?

Aside from that, I'm gonna attend a Dodgers game, visit some of the districts in downtown and maybe try and get tickets for a Kimmel screening.

I'll be heading to LA in June. Anyone know any good video game stores that has retro stuff?

Also, last time I went back in 2012 I was told that getting around without a car is difficult. Is it still the case now? I can get an International driving license but driving on new/opposite sides of the road stresses me out. I take it my only options are Taxis and/or Uber?

Aside from that, I'm gonna attend a Dodgers game, visit some of the districts in downtown and maybe try and get tickets for a Kimmel screening.
get a hotel close to a Metro Station and you'll be fine.

www.gamedude.com/ in north Hollywood is great for retro.

beat

Natural History Museum? Too many fucking people there today.

I went to LACMA. The lineup was basically nil at noon*, and then I had to leave around 2 and the lineup was tremendously long.

* I went to the smaller ticket booth at Spaulding and Wilshire rather than the bigger one, if that matters.

Looking for recommendations for a fancy sit-down restaurant with a chill/romantic ambiance that also serves spicy/flavorful food. Could be Thai, Indian, Korean, American, Middle Eastern or Japanese.

ANYWHERE in LA. Don't care about price.

Edit:
We don't eat pork or beef. Chicken, fish, eggs, ect... are ok.

Top Bottom