• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

sikkinixx

Weekdays, parking is a breeze. Weekends, not so much. That's a lot of time, you can visit Hermosa, Manhattan, Venice, 3rd St Promenade, and Santa Monica pier.

Depending on what you are looking for in a beach, both are solid places to check out. They will be crowded on weekends but you should be able to manage parking. Santa Monica is more touristy and iconic I would say.

Thanks! Anywhere worth eating around there?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Sup' fellow L.A. gaffers

Dunno what you guys are doing next thursday night, but my band is playing our newest single release at House of Blues on the sunset strip. Turns out the HOB is closing and we're playing its final week or so. Super excited, was just spreading the LA love to anyone here!

It's all here if you're interested!

Zyzyxxz

If you want to see intersting stuff you could check out the Venice Boardwalk and each on Abbot Kinney Blvd, there are several great eateries on that street.

Gjelina, Gjelina Takeaway, and Salt Air to name a few.

I've skeptical of living in DTLA cause of how shitty most parts of it are but I'm planning on moving into a 2 bedroom with a one of my buddies who and have to find a new place. Currently in Hollywood area, but am starting school part time at USC. The idea of living near 7th St/Metro Station downtown is appealing as it would be convenient as I could utilize subway to get to work in Hollywood and to USC campus. Does anyone recommend living near that area? The only parts of Downtown that I've found to be decent is near Staples Center but I can imagine there's downsides there as well? I honestly don't know much, I rarely venture downtown.

My girlfriend works in Glendale so we can't go much further West of Sunset Strip. Right now we are targeting Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, Vine/Hollywood/Sunset in Hollywood, or possibly Downtown LA. Anyone have recommendations of downtown? Targeting a 2 bedroom with max ceiling of $3,600 rent.

I've skeptical of living in DTLA cause of how shitty most parts of it are but I'm planning on moving into a 2 bedroom with a one of my buddies who and have to find a new place. Currently in Hollywood area, but am starting school part time at USC. The idea of living near 7th St/Metro Station downtown is appealing as it would be convenient as I could utilize subway to get to work in Hollywood and to USC campus. Does anyone recommend living near that area? The only parts of Downtown that I've found to be decent is near Staples Center but I can imagine there's downsides there as well? I honestly don't know much, I rarely venture downtown.

Other than being super expensive, that area is fine. The triangle formed by there (even a little south of that), the area around 4th/Main, and Bunker Hill is generally really nice these days.

Also maybe look into the K-Town area around Wilshire? It's actually getting pretty nice, with some nice high-rise / lofts available. Also you'd have easy Red line access, and your girlfriend could just hop onto the 2 via Alvarado to get to Glendale super quick, better than 110 to the 5 will ever be..

Other than being super expensive, that area is fine. The triangle formed by there (even a little south of that), the area around 4th/Main, and Bunker Hill is generally really nice these days.

Also maybe look into the K-Town area around Wilshire? It's actually getting pretty nice, with some nice high-rise / lofts available. Also you'd have easy Red line access, and your girlfriend could just hop onto the 2 via Alvarado to get to Glendale super quick, better than 110 to the 5 will ever be..

My buddy is coming into town this weekend so we will probably wander around the area and check it out. Would $3,200 be enough to get a pretty decent two bedroom do you think?

As for Koreatown... nothing about that area has seem very nice to me, or appealing. My girlfriend works at Forest Lawn in Glendale too, which isn't near any train station, so that doesn't exactly work unfortunately.

Zyzyxxz

My buddy is coming into town this weekend so we will probably wander around the area and check it out. Would $3,200 be enough to get a pretty decent two bedroom do you think?

As for Koreatown... nothing about that area has seem very nice to me, or appealing. My girlfriend works at Forest Lawn in Glendale too, which isn't near any train station, so that doesn't exactly work unfortunately.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of "nice"? For $3200 your options are pretty good.

Have you considered Little Tokyo? It's a nice sub-section of Downtown which is fairly separated but it has a gold line station. Grocery stores, restaurants, bars, some retail.

Or possibly Chinatown, the new Jia apartments are decent and there is going to be a lot of development in the area in the next few years.

golem

Here's some stuff I like out there.. maybe others can chime in

Manhatten Beach: Sesame Moe's (mediterranean food)

Santa Monica: Bay Cities (Godmother sandwich), Tsujita, Father's Office (burgers), Shinsengumi

Also Carthay Circle is the best restaurant at Disneyland/California Adventure (also Corn Dog Castle) ;)

HORRORSHØW

My girlfriend works in Glendale so we can't go much further West of Sunset Strip. Right now we are targeting Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, Vine/Hollywood/Sunset in Hollywood, or possibly Downtown LA. Anyone have recommendations of downtown? Targeting a 2 bedroom with max ceiling of $3,600 rent.

i used to live at the glo on wishire and bixel. lots of usc students. apartment is nice. little pricey. gf and i had a 2 bdrm for $2700. you can also try the 1010 next door. the adjacent medici is probably cheaper.

sikkinixx

Thanks for the suggestions forby folks above. We were dead tired so we ended up hanging out on Santa Monica beach for a while before heading to LAX to come home. Really beautiful, though a lot of people begging passive aggressively ("CAN YOU POSSIBLY SPARE JUST A QUARTER SIR? NO? TOO MUCH THEN? HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY SHOPPING THEN SIR") and a super sketch looking dude dressed in a run down Elmo costume wanting to take pictures with people. That and a dude screaming he got mangos for sale in a super thick accent.

Driving in LA sure was a thing... pretty sure I exited and entered at least 5 or 6 different 4-7 lane freeways as I made my way across town.

Still, loved my time there and we are thinking of going back and actually visiting for more than just Disneyland plus a couple hours at the beach next time. We spent 10 days in the Coachella valley roasting so some time closer to the water would be welcome.

golem

Thanks for the suggestions forby folks above. We were dead tired so we ended up hanging out on Santa Monica beach for a while before heading to LAX to come home. Really beautiful, though a lot of people begging passive aggressively ("CAN YOU POSSIBLY SPARE JUST A QUARTER SIR? NO? TOO MUCH THEN? HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY SHOPPING THEN SIR") and a super sketch looking dude dressed in a run down Elmo costume wanting to take pictures with people. That and a dude screaming he got mangos for sale in a super thick accent.

Driving in LA sure was a thing... pretty sure I exited and entered at least 5 or 6 different 4-7 lane freeways as I made my way across town.

Still, loved my time there and we are thinking of going back and actually visiting for more than just Disneyland plus a couple hours at the beach next time. We spent 10 days in the Coachella valley roasting so some time closer to the water would be welcome.

This probably makes more sense now: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-californians/n13474

Glad you had a good time

FStop7

Banned

The passive aggressive panhandling sucks.

The latest game is guys with clipboards hanging out in front of stores and restaurants (typically Whole Foods and Chipotle) claiming to be students who have been accepted to Howard University, but they're broke. And they get SUPER pushy, borderline hostile. One guy tried to physically block me from walking away. What really makes me mad about these guys is that someone might actually fall for the scam, meanwhile some poor kid who actually IS trying to find a way to go to Howard is struggling.

I mean the very core area actually on Wilshire b/w Western and Vermont. It's a place you could find a apartment like in downtown, but probably a bit cheaper, and that core area on Wilshire is nice, and gives quick access to the 2, which makes getting to and from Glendale super easy.

And Forest Lawn do you mean the area in Burbank? Is there a Forest Lawn in Glendale proper?

Grimløck;171834557 said:
i used to live at the glo on wishire and bixel. lots of usc students. apartment is nice. little pricey. gf and i had a 2 bdrm for $2700. you can also try the 1010 next door. the adjacent medici is probably cheaper.

That's definitely the area that I would be looking for, but ideally a little more upper scale. More modern interior and amenities. I think with $500 extra per month that's gotta be pretty doable? I'm just not wanting a place that has easy access for people to wander in and a place that isn't overrun by people partying every day. Weekends I don't mind. I feel higher entry of cost limits the noise factor sometimes. I'm paying $2,300 for a studio in Hollywood area and would like to get more bank for my buck.

Exes. Released our newest single yesterday, if anyone is interested. We're playing a free show at the kbitz room for a friends party at the end of the month too.

Jesus really weird my brother and college buddy got into town last night and were with my girlfriend driving around and decided randomly to stop at House of Blues because I work for Live Nation and have never been there before. I accidentally wore sandels and wasn't allowed into the Foundation Room. Went downstairs and randomly remembered some guy on NeoGAF said he was playing at House of Blues. Checked this thread. Saw your username. Totally got nostalgia kick because I remembered you from Nintendophiles and was hoping to blow your mind if you were playing downstairs and introduce myself but it didn't happen.

Really small fucking world. I don't think I've talked to you like 8 or so years?

Hey LA GAF!!!

I'm traveling next month to see Taylor Swift at the staples center. I'll be staying for 4 nights (2 of which I will hopefully be going to her concert, only have tickets for one at the moment). I've never been to LA but so far I'm considering staying somewhere around the Staples Center (Downtown?). Any other areas you could recommend? On the other 2 days I might try to go sight seeing but don't have any concrete plans. I don't mind using public transport like the metro, but I guess I wouldn't to travel more than 30 minuts to get to/from the Staples Center.

Also I've been looking into airbnb since hotels seem to be quite expensive there.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Jesus really weird my brother and college buddy got into town last night and were with my girlfriend driving around and decided randomly to stop at House of Blues because I work for Live Nation and have never been there before. I accidentally wore sandels and wasn't allowed into the Foundation Room. Went downstairs and randomly remembered some guy on NeoGAF said he was playing at House of Blues. Checked this thread. Saw your username. Totally got nostalgia kick because I remembered you from Nintendophiles and was hoping to blow your mind if you were playing downstairs and introduce myself but it didn't happen.

Really small fucking world. I don't think I've talked to you like 8 or so years?

Yeah dude, I remember you. Rocksteady right? I JUST saw daisy and jared yesterday actually. We were playing up in the parrish room, next to foundation. That woul have been insaaaaaane.

FStop7

Banned
Anyone else seen this #100Days100Nights thing on Twitter? Claims that the Rollin 100 crips are out to kill 100 people in the next 100 days in retaliation for one of their members being killed. Their territory is near USC. There are a lot of claims of "6 people shot yesterday" and "I know someone who was shot" but it's impossible to verify if there were really shootings or if that any shootings that have happened are related to this. Still, there is a LOT of noise about it right now...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LA Gaf

Having a retro game moving sale at my apartment on Sunday. If you want info, let me know, but probably 1000+ games from NES-SNES-Turbo Duo-Genesis/CD/32X-Saturn-Dreamcast-N64-GBA-DS-Wii-PS2

Lots of stuff. Shoot me a PM.

(also other random things if you want, mattress, vacuum cleaner, iron, coffee table, etc)

West LA TWC GAF, I'm moving to a different apt and so I'm shopping for ISP's (TWC and ATT U-Verse are my only options- I fucking hate how ISP's don't serve certain areas).

How much are you paying for TV and internet? I'm currently paying $138 for TV+ 50 Mbps internet but I'd like to get a better deal. How much can I realistically shave off my bill by threatening to cancel?

Zyzyxxz

West LA TWC GAF, I'm moving to a different apt and so I'm shopping for ISP's (TWC and ATT U-Verse are my only options- I fucking hate how ISP's don't serve certain areas).

How much are you paying for TV and internet? I'm currently paying $138 for TV+ 50 Mbps internet but I'd like to get a better deal. How much can I realistically shave off my bill by threatening to cancel?

Dam that seems like a lot but then again I cut the cord and have gone internet only.

Personally ATT U-verse is kinda shitty in Koreatown where I am and slow for the money. I've been meaning to swtich to TWC but then I'd need a cable modem.

Zalman

So I'm going to LA for the first time. I'll have about 8 days there. All I know is that I will check out Disneyland. Part of me kind of wants to see the Convention Center from the outside too since I've seen so many pictures of it over the years, haha. Other than that I don't really know much yet, so I'd gladly take recommendations and suggestions. What are the best places to shop? What's the best way to see the city? All help is appreciated.

Zyzyxxz

So I'm going to LA for the first time. I'll have about 8 days there. All I know is that I will check out Disneyland. Part of me kind of wants to see the Convention Center from the outside too since I've seen so many pictures of it over the years, haha. Other than that I don't really know much yet, so I'd gladly take recommendations and suggestions. What are the best places to shop? What's the best way to see the city? All help is appreciated.

Most important question of all: WILL YOU HAVE A CAR?

Zyzyxxz

Yes, I plan to rent a car. Why do you ask? :) I hear driving in downtown is not that good of an idea though.

My reaction when tourist say they will use public transportation to get around LA:

giphy.gif

Downtown is great driving IMO but just as good to walk (in some areas). It really depends on what you are looking to do. LA is so spread out so you need to drive some places for sure.

I would check out Grand Central Market in Downtown its a cool food hall with a few artisan vendors (and I helped put it on the map *humble brag). While there you can check out the Bradbury building known from a movie called "Bladerunner".

Downtown has a lot of cool architecture and a young thriving art scene. Coffee is big here and there are so many great coffee shops in Downtown alone but across LA you can take your pick.

For hipster, artisan shopping I would check out Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach.

For eating, you gotta tell us what kind of food you want to try because LA is pretty diverse and tell us how far you are willing to drive.

Need advice on LAX transportation.

Going to Cabo for 4 nights. Based on reviews the shared transport shuttles are pretty unreliable. So I was thinking of driving to LAX and just get long term parking. But again, online reviews are horrible for most lots.

Anyone here used the shared shuttle transport or long term parking?

My other option is Lyft.

Going to Cabo for 4 nights. Based on reviews the shared transport shuttles are pretty unreliable. So I was thinking of driving to LAX and just get long term parking. But again, online reviews are horrible for most lots.

My other option is Lyft.
Uber or lyft to a Flyaway shuttle station.

My other option is Lyft.

4 nights, not much luggage. What time is the flight? if it's during the day just take public transportation. Metro, MTA

Zyzyxxz

Reportedly, Flyaway from Union Station is great, Flyaway from Hollywood is unreliable. (Different contractor, I think.)

I've taken the Flyaway from both and personally even though Hollywood is technically closer to where I live in Koreatown the Union Station route is better because:

1- you are dropped off/picked up in a nice area with plenty of transportation options (bus, car, train). Hollywood you just get dropped off in the middle of a street and while there are trains and metro nearby its not as convenient.
2- the route from and to the airport is better (the Union Station bus takes the 110 freeway to the 105 and travesl the carpool because its a bus. Almost guaranteed 20-30 min travel time. While the Hollywood one just takes a weird ass local street route thru midcity and baldwin hills.

My other option is Lyft.

Take Uber or Lyft to get to the airport. Uber pool only costs me $15 and for 2 people also (nobody else jumped on the route to the airport for me).

Coming back from the airport is a different story, I would take the LAX- Flyaway shuttles, look up the routes and info on their website. Or walk off the airport to the nearest hotel and then request and uber since they can't legally enter the airport to pick you up yet.

Laekon

My other option is Lyft.

I used this site a lot in the past. http://www.cheapairportparking.org/ Get valet covered parking at a local hotel for as low as $9 a day. Most of the time though its $11. You then take their shuttle to and from the airport. When you get back you txt a number they give you and 80% of the time your car is waiting once you to the hotel. I haven't used it in a year though so not sure what the cost are now. Most of the time I booked at the LAX Marriott or Renaissance. They have a good number of shuttles so you are never waiting long.

I had 2 coworkers get their cars broken into at the Parking Spot. Oddly enough both were Tahoe's and the 3rd row seats were stolen.

FStop7

Banned
I've never liked it. Same with Plan Check. I've been totally over the 15 dollar hamburger for some time now. I still like the one at Belcampo but that's about it.

Yeah, my Umami experience was very underwhelming and I doubt I'll go back when there are so many other options. I think The Counter and The Stand both do better, tbh.

On to better experiences:

Mohawk Bend, in Silver Lake. Cauliflower with buffalo sauce and a bit of bleu cheese. Amazing. Short rib hash. Amazing.

The Tasting Kitchen, in Venice. Fantastic dining experience. Casual but still high end. Great selection of entrees. And a great selection of cheeses, too. The cheeses were served in an amazing presentation, bundled together with some unflavored crackers and strawberry jam. The cheeses, when spread on fresh bread and combined with a bit of the jam... just out of control good. And a glass of Weihenstephaner hefeweizen to finish it off.

Zyzyxxz

I've never liked it. Same with Plan Check. I've been totally over the 15 dollar hamburger for some time now. I still like the one at Belcampo but that's about it.

Check out Cassell's in K-Town. IMO best burger in LA (I know thems fighting words) but its the best classic definition of a burger.

Prime grade beef on a great bun served bare. Tomatoes, onion, pickles, and lettuce all served on the side as you like, sauce on the side.

Meat, cheese, bun at its basics but all great quality ingredients and its so good. Only costs $11-12 but at happy hour they do the burger and a beer/soda for $9. Quite a killer deal and it's not a small burger too 1/3lb.

Simple is best but simple is often hard to execute.
95dcea16_194b_4bdb_826c_843e0bfce9ce.jpg

golem

I know Escape Rooms are in vogue these days, but I just did a fun one last night in Monterey Park -- The Exit Game.

Really fun, and the puzzles were surprisingly intricate. We did their newest room which had a few design issues I'd assume they're going to tinker, but overall it was a lot of fun and I'd highly recommend it with a group of 6-8 people.

I did their older rooms and they were fun. Got to the last one, was paired with some randoms who were useless though.

PG2G

My Los Angeles burger hunt died with Rustic Canyon. I did think Plan Check was tasty though, the Chef's Favorite not the Plan Check Burger. The Standing Room in Redondo Beach is pretty damn good though... them truffle parmesan fries too, damn

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My Los Angeles burger hunt died with Rustic Canyon. I did think Plan Check was tasty though, the Chef's Favorite not the Plan Check Burger. The Standing Room in Redondo Beach is pretty damn good though... them truffle parmesan fries too, damn

still sad the Rustic Canyon burger is gone. oh well

Zyzyxxz

You know it was a decent burger but never understood the hype to me it wasn't amazing and definitely not worth the pain to dine at Rustic Canyon which is quite pricey in itself.

Top Bottom