• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Outlaws Cafe in the Valley has the best burger I've had yet. It seems the restaurant is finally catching on.

o.jpg

(oh, and their chips or wedges are unlimited which is also awesome)

I created the title to this thread. I know what I'm talking about. Are you going to trust me or go on eating middling burgers?

Outlaw Cafe is great and their service is even better. Free brownies too after your meal.

As far as the best burgers, it's personal preference.

I just moved to Long Beach and was wondering if anybody has any food recommendations or if there are any cool mom and pop vidya game stores? (I know not technically LA but at least it's in the county so sorry if offtopic)

I just moved to Long Beach and was wondering if anybody has any food recommendations or if there are any cool mom and pop vidya game stores? (I know not technically LA but at least it's in the county so sorry if offtopic)

Rivera's for Mexican food (their chile colorado is so damn good). Canadas grill is also good and Hole Mole for tacos. La Porelaccia Osteria for upscale Italian. Michael's Pizzeria has good upscale pizza. Deli News Pizza is good cheap pizza. Long Beach Fish Grill for fish (any kind). George's Greek Cafe on 2nd street. 39 degrees for Sushi (good happy hour too). Also, go to Seal Beach for Angelo's Italian Deli for sandwiches.

There's good Peruvian place but forgot the name. Callilloo has good Caribbean. MVPs has decent fast food hamburgers. And of course there's a Roscoe's.

For Breakfast, the Coffee Cup Cafe and Royal Cup are quite good. There's a place in Seal Beach as well, name escapes me. It's at the East end of main street...a bakery and cafe. Oh, and the Crooked Duck is a good breakfast place, too in LB.

for ice cream, there's Creamistry and Paradis on 2nd street.

Long Beach is super underrated in terms of food. With the exception of 2nd street which is mostly way overrated (outside of George's Greek and the ice cream places), there's really good food everywhere. Especially Mexican food.

Long Beach is super underrated in terms of food. With the exception of 2nd street which is mostly way overrated (outside of George's Greek and the ice cream places), there's really good food everywhere. Especially Mexican food.

Been living in LB for 6 months give or take and I miss korean food so much. The place on atlantic is shit in comparison to anywhere in Ktown. Also no ramen to be seen. Number 9 has OK Pho but I need to find a place with good bahn mi.

Zyzyxxz

Been living in LB for 6 months give or take and I miss korean food so much. The place on atlantic is shit in comparison to anywhere in Ktown. Also no ramen to be seen. Number 9 has OK Pho but I need to find a place with good bahn mi.

But you can easily drive to Torrance for great Japanese food (and ramen) and Gardena for Korean.

There's a Korean Fusion (like burritos) I've yet to try but supposedly is quite good on 7th street called Seoulmate. Cyclo Noodles has better Pho than Number 9 IMO.I haven't tried Pho Hang Phat yet It might be good.

Long Beach doesn't have much asian food outside of Sushi and Thai.

Mendocino Farms Pork Belly Bahn Mi has my heart, but it's no where near LB.

But you can easily drive to Torrance for great Japanese food (and ramen) and Gardena for Korean.

But this is 100% accurate. Gardena has tons of Korean places. Cerritos has some as well, which is closer.

And yeah, Torrance is amazing for Ramen. Thanks for reminding me I haven't been to Santouka Ramen in a while!

Eusis

Welp, leaving LA after today. Maybe I should've said something when I came up last year, but it's been a really crazy period for me that I keep being too nervous about really talking about, and with how crappy things have been my plan has been to go back to North County San Diego now that my work transfer went through, go back to college, and try to find a place to live at again that I can afford or get assistance for anyway. I definitely want to visit though when I'm in a more comfortable position, I've only scratched the surface.

Just a heads up but a certain game store near the beach already has MGS V and should be getting Mad Max today

sorry if being cryptic makes this a shit post but i dont wanna dry snitch the store out on a major gaming forum ;_; msg me if you wanna know

FStop7

Banned
Just a heads up but a certain game store near the beach already has MGS V and should be getting Mad Max today

sorry if being cryptic makes this a shit post but i dont wanna dry snitch the store out on a major gaming forum ;_; msg me if you wanna know

Thanks so much, dude. I just picked up a copy for the PS4.

Going to Thai Town for dinner this Friday night, any recommendations? Palms for Thai Elvis? Thai Patio? Thai Plaza? Ord Noodle is highly rated but I found their broth to use too much MSG.

beat

Going to Thai Town for dinner this Friday night, any recommendations? Palms for Thai Elvis? Thai Patio? Thai Plaza? Ord Noodle is highly rated but I found their broth to use too much MSG.

I haven't nearly tried them all, but Pa Ord Noodle at 5301 Sunset is pretty awesome. .. I've never had soup noodles, just mostly pad kee mao (drunken noodles). "Medium spicy" was a lot hotter than the medium of most other places I've been, though.

I ate at Palms once; I felt it was subpar.

Zyzyxxz

Luv2Eat Thai Bistro - not quite in Thai Town but close enough. They do really great Southern Thai food, So far have not had a bad dish there don't be scared by the stupid name the food is legit. Their specialty is probably the crab curry but make sure you ask for it mild (it's still spicy) unless you like the pain. They also do great noodle dishes and a killer pork leg over rice.

Yai's - amazing crispy pork and general Southern Thai food as well. The menu doesn't state it but their specialty are their crispy pork dishes which come either stir fried with Chinese broccoli or in thai basil.

Isaan Station - Ok its Koreatown but its the best Northern Thai food you can find in LA probably on par with Night + Market but without the hipster setting.

Hi LA-GAF!

I'm visiting LA in about a month or so (late October), will be there for about a week, on a business trip. I'll be working most of the time but I will have a full weekend and (probably) most nights off. I'm not a very touristy kind of guy so if I do get some free time I'd prefer to go to a park (Griffith, Topanga) or some other place where I can go for a nice walk/jog (botanical gardens perhaps?), rather than go to a boulevard or gallery, etc. Suggestions are welcome.

I'll be staying in Culver City (close to the people I'll be working with) and so I guess most of my plans will be focused on the area since I won't be renting a car. I'm ok with walking or taking public transportation to places (as long as it's safe, I don't really know the area that well).

So recommendations on where to guy groceries or where to go out for a healthy lunch/dinner are also appreciated.

I've been scanning the area on google maps but still, it never hurts to ask the locals.

Also, any tips or do-s/don't-s also welcome. First time in LA. Thanks!

beat

I'll be staying in Culver City (close to the people I'll be working with) and so I guess most of my plans will be focused on the area since I won't be renting a car. I'm ok with walking or taking public transportation to places (as long as it's safe, I don't really know the area that well).

So recommendations on where to guy groceries or where to go out for a healthy lunch/dinner are also appreciated.
The Expo line (streetcar, partially elevated track) and express bus (733, red) are handy. Non-express LA Metro buses are orange, mostly. Culver City also runs its own bus system, green, and Santa Monica does as well, blue. All three agencies run service the Culver City area. They should all take the TAP card (contactless transit card). Culver City's buses shut down earlier than LA Metro's though. Anyways, use Google Maps, LA Metro's app, or the Transit app to help with route planning.

When I lived in that area, I did my grocery shopping at Ralph's, mostly, with supplements from Mitsuwa a little further down Venice Blvd and Simpang Asia (a place that's both a small Indonesian grocery and an Indonesian/American cafe/restaurant. Plus sometimes the local farmers market on weekends and Sprouts and/or Whole Foods.

It's not that long a bus ride down Venice to Venice Beach or Santa Monica; those might be good places for a jog on the weekend. They are tourist trap-ish and Venice Beach isn't much in the evenings, I don't think.

Also along Venice Blvd in the other direction are Arcana Books (mostly art and architecture books) and Surfas (great kitchen supply place, some fancy ingredients too).

I would also just load up walkscore.com and plug in where you'll be staying and working to figure out if there's anything worth walking to. Or, just ask the people you'll be working with for advice.

That's great, thanks beat! I didn't know about walk score, seems interesting.

Do you recommend that I grab a cab from the airport to CC, or should I try a bus? I'm only bringing one medium (30lt) backpack and that's it. I saw a line that goes Manchester-Lincoln-Venice and it seems like a safe bet. I don't mind riding it for a while as that'll somewhat help me in getting my bearings, but I also don't want to end in the wrong neighborhood. I'm usually good when it comes to getting my bearings and dealing with directions, but first time in the city and all that.

edit: I guess my question is "how easy is it to get lost from going from LAX to CC?".

Zyzyxxz

Hi LA-GAF!

I'm visiting LA in about a month or so (late October), will be there for about a week, on a business trip. I'll be working most of the time but I will have a full weekend and (probably) most nights off. I'm not a very touristy kind of guy so if I do get some free time I'd prefer to go to a park (Griffith, Topanga) or some other place where I can go for a nice walk/jog (botanical gardens perhaps?), rather than go to a boulevard or gallery, etc. Suggestions are welcome.

I've been scanning the area on google maps but still, it never hurts to ask the locals.

Also, any tips or do-s/don't-s also welcome. First time in LA. Thanks!

If you want BBQ check out Maple Block Co.
If you want burgers and beer check out Father's Office
If you want Japanese food check out Sawtelle Blvd (Morinoya for izakaya, Tsujita for ramen, Kiriko for sushi, yakitori-ya for yakitori, etc). They have a nice Japanese grocery store on Sawtelle called Nijiya Market as well.
Gjelina has great modern California cuisine, Gjusta their sister concept does great sandwiches and takeaway items.
Honey Kettle in Culver does great fried chicken

Culver has the museum of Jurassic Technology. Surfas is a cool kitchen supply store catered toward professionals (great selection but prices tend to be on the high side).

beat

Do you recommend that I grab a cab from the airport to CC, or should I try a bus? I'm only bringing one medium (30lt) backpack and that's it. I saw a line that goes Manchester-Lincoln-Venice and it seems like a safe bet. I don't mind riding it for a while as that'll somewhat help me in getting my bearings, but I also don't want to end in the wrong neighborhood. I'm usually good when it comes to getting my bearings and dealing with directions, but first time in the city and all that.

edit: I guess my question is "how easy is it to get lost from going from LAX to CC?".
If it were me, I would consider a ridesharing app like Lyft or Uber because Culver City is so close to LAX. (you might have to catch a shuttle to the parking area though)

If you want to catch a bus, just use a smartphone, use Google Maps, and use the GPS to figure out when you're nearly at your stop. Or ask the bus driver to give you a heads-up for your destination.

Does anyone know of being able to rent 2 bedroom apartments to 4 people in LA? My girlfriend and I are trying to move in with two of our friends but the few places we've looked at have had bad reactions to the idea and I think it's going to be hard to do. Anyone ever done this before?

PG2G

Does anyone know of being able to rent 2 bedroom apartments to 4 people in LA? My girlfriend and I are trying to move in with two of our friends but the few places we've looked at have had bad reactions to the idea and I think it's going to be hard to do. Anyone ever done this before?

Seems like it'd be pretty common in areas where there is a college nearby

Zyzyxxz

As long as you dont have 4 cars and only have 2 parking spaces why not?

Zyzyxxz

Anyone eaten at the Shao Kao truck yet? (looking at you zyzyxxz)

http://la.eater.com/2015/10/21/9565375/shao-kao-bbq-los-angeles-chinese-barbecue-dining-on-a-dime

Was gonna try to hit it for lunch today but they're posted at the Vice Venice office and I don't think I can make it.

No and I personally don't care for the so called "chef". Just a kid who likes to fluff his resume full of places that don't matter but enough shit talking its not relevant to your question. I'll just say I won't be supporting his ventures as I'm too busy running real restaurants.

No and I personally don't care for the so called "chef". Just a kid who likes to fluff his resume full of places that don't matter but enough shit talking its not relevant to your question. I'll just say I won't be supporting his ventures as I'm too busy running real restaurants.

That fire.

Zyzyxxz

Is he even good?

I don't want to turn this into a debate thread about me vs him. Every chef has an ego of some sort of course we all think we are better than each other and I'll leave it at that. I'll let my work and those who have worked with me speak for my abilities.

Top Bottom