• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Zyzyxxz

That sucks. I wish DTLA could really get it together. It's definitely improved but it's still a ghost town at night.

The contrast between poverty and privilege is real sharp in DTLA, too. Sharper than San Francisco, Baltimore, DC. One block I'm seeing dudes with waxed mustaches eating artisanal fair trade non-GMO brioche and the next block I saw a woman lying on the sidewalk literally rolling around in a pile of garbage because she was so fucked up she couldn't get to her feet. Skid Row is the hardest, most gut wrenching area in the entire country.

You must not spend a lot of time in DTLA because I'm pretty jaded to it, not that it makes the income inequality any right. They need to do something about affordable housing because the average income of permanent downtown residents is over 6 figures and the rents reflect that. If they want a diverse range of people to move in to create a dynamic and balanced economy they need more middle class people to move in.

The lines at DTLA Ralph's at 2 AM and the traffic when leaving it beg to differ.

That's on Olympic & Figueroa, roughly. Head up to, say, 2nd street & Figueroa at 2 AM and there's no people, no cars... nothing. It's like you're in an abandoned city. I mean, there's not necessarily any reason to be up there at 2 AM, but then again that's kind of the point.

On a related note, are there any plans to keep bars open past 2 AM? I feel like the popularity of Uber is a good reason to look at pushing it to 3 or 4.

broz0rs

My parents bought a two bedroom house in 1995 for $135k. It's considered part of Hollywood, right on the edge of Hancock Park. It has a nice backyard.

Now it's worth $1.1 million

Blunoise

Hey guys what is echo park like for a black male who loves diversity? I'm a web developer and want to meet some cool people who likes to play games, go out and have fun and are artistic....I'm also thinking about Oakland the east Bay Area. Any thoughts?

Beach

Anyone have any great Persian restaurant spots in LA? I usually just go to one in Los Feliz.
If you go up the street to Glendale, Raffi's Place is in my opinion (and ratings wise) the best Persian/Armenian food you will get in the Southland

Zyzyxxz

My parents bought a two bedroom house in 1995 for $135k. It's considered part of Hollywood, right on the edge of Hancock Park. It has a nice backyard.

And they say millenials have no right to complain when the baby boomers bought all the property and now hold all the wealth.

Sucks to be a wannabe homeowner in Los Angeles. Even Echo Park is pricey now!

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
If you go up the street to Glendale, Raffi's Place is in my opinion (and ratings wise) the best Persian/Armenian food you will get in the Southland

Seconded! This place gets my vote. There's also a good Lebanese place in Glendale called Skaf's that is fantastic.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Seems about right for the area. Even crappy tiny porky built condos are stupidly pricey the farther west you get.

I've lived around west la since the late 90s due to school and now work. I wish I had known I would be sticking around the area for 15+ years.

beat

What are the basics of rent control in LA and maybe West Hollywood? For LA, it's any multi-unit place built before Nov 1978? Are there price ceilings after which rent control no longer applies anyways? I saw a blog that said most places in DTLA aren't rent controlled.

LA GAF.

Finally going to LA next week and I want some suggestions of stuff to see.

Already have in mind: Hollywood sign (hiking up there), Santa Monica pier, Venice.

Some good overlooks would be nice or good photo spots.

Thanks in advance!

broz0rs

check out LACMA, which has an amazing campus. You don't even need to go inside the exhibits there, just the environment alone is worth the trip. You can walk across the street on Wilshire Blvd to food truck row. From LACMA, drive just about a mile to the Grove, which is LA's premier outdoor mall. It's a lousy place to shop, but sightseeing is nice there. There's an adjacent Farmer's Market that has some really good food. I recommend the Brazilian style barbecue (Pampas Grill).

LA GAF.

Finally going to LA next week and I want some suggestions of stuff to see.

Already have in mind: Hollywood sign (hiking up there), Santa Monica pier, Venice.

Some good overlooks would be nice or good photo spots.

You can't hike up to the Hollywood sign legally. Keep that in mind. Hollywood is pretty gross. Guess you gotta see that but afterwards bail and hit a studio tour instead.

The Santa Monica pier is not the best. Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach piers are more authentic LA, with Redondo in the mix if you want to have a couple pops at Naja's Place and some seafood

If you want good overlooks and great photo spots, kind of hard to beat the Getty Museum.

Syringe

I'm visiting LA this upcoming summer, and wonders if anyone here knows a really great board game store and and an equally really great outdoor store (like trekking and stuff like that)?

Really thankful if anyone could help me out :)

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I'm visiting LA this upcoming summer, and wonders if anyone here knows a really great board game store and and an equally really great outdoor store (like trekking and stuff like that)?

Game Haus Cafe in Glendale is my favorite board game cafe.

Outdoor store? As in gear? Or a place with outdoor activities?

Not sure about board game stores but REI is my got to outdoor store.

Syringe

Game Haus Cafe in Glendale is my favorite board game cafe.

Outdoor store? As in gear? Or a place with outdoor activities?
Thanks a lot. Looking forward to browse around. Do they also have like Star Wars Armada miniatyres and stuff like that?

And yes, I mean like outdoor gear. Like tent, knifes, sleeping bags, boots and the such :)

Not sure about board game stores but REI is my got to outdoor store.
Awesome, thanks, where is it and do they have a homepage?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thanks a lot. Looking forward to browse around. Do they also have like Star Wars Armada miniatyres and stuff like that?

And yes, I mean like outdoor gear. Like tent, knifes, sleeping bags, boots and the such :)

Awesome, thanks, where is it and do they have a homepage?

not really in the miniatures department.

great for other stuff.

the true board game retailers will be better for X-Wing/Armada

Syringe

https://www.rei.com/

Stores are located all around LA County. Not sure exactly where you are staying but I'm sure you can find one close by.

there's plenty. Emerald Knights in Burbank is the local one on the east side of the valley

Game Empire Pasadena and Knight Ware Inc in Studio City are my go to places for such things. :)
Many thanks to all three of you. I've been to LA like 20 times (I'm Swedish), but only with my job (PR) so this will be the first time for me to really spend time there. Will explore all of these suggestions :)

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Many thanks to all three of you. I've been to LA like 20 times (I'm Swedish), but only with my job (PR) so this will be the first time for me to really spend time there. Will explore all of these suggestions :)

You're very welcome! Let us know if you have more questions!

What is the best vegan restaurant in the west side? This might be or not be for a tinder date....

I always liked Real Food Daily on La Cienega. I haven't tried any other vegan places in that area.

Syringe

You're very welcome! Let us know if you have more questions!
May I harass you a final time? I just found out I'm going to LA once before this vacation (job related) and will live in downtown LA. Is there any store fairly close that I can reach with a bus (the only free time is evenings so I can't get far) that sells board games and preferably Star Wars Armada that you know of?

Zyzyxxz

May I harass you a final time? I just found out I'm going to LA once before this vacation (job related) and will live in downtown LA. Is there any store fairly close that I can reach with a bus (the only free time is evenings so I can't get far) that sells board games and preferably Star Wars Armada that you know of?

Downtown doesn't have any board game shops as far as I know so you may want to consider taking an uber.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

gold line to Pasadena would get you close to Game Empire - but I'm guessing with walking on both ends / bus to the main station ---- an hour each way?

Uber would get you there in 20 minutes without traffic.

Maybe one way public and the other way Uber?

Upside - that area of Pasadena is cool

Also - call to make sure they have what you want first!

Syringe

Downtown doesn't have any board game shops as far as I know so you may want to consider taking an uber.

gold line to Pasadena would get you close to Game Empire - but I'm guessing with walking on both ends / bus to the main station ---- an hour each way?

Uber would get you there in 20 minutes without traffic.

Maybe one way public and the other way Uber?

Upside - that area of Pasadena is cool

Also - call to make sure they have what you want first!
Thanks again. Damn this forum is great :)

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member

I know you can get to Knightware via the red line:

map-red-line.png

Union station downtown to Universal/Studio city. Also Uber is an excellent option too. :) I'll ask around and see if I can find any places that can get you Star Wars Armada. I think Game Empire in Pasadena is your best best for that right now, I remember them having a lot of the Fantasy Flight Games. You can take the gold line to Game Empire easily:

map-gold-line_II.jpg

Union Station to Allen I believe.

So how are the metro trains? Actually never been on one.

In terms of? I used to take it from Long Beach -> Downtown daily with no issues. Cheap way to avoid traffic and pretty clean. I did have a friend come in from out of state tell me he felt unsafe taking it at night but that could be because he's from Vermont and doesn't regularly see minorities.

Zyzyxxz

I think they're nicer than the NYC subway. Cleaner and less crowded. I've taken them alone (female) and I've never felt unsafe.

Yes much cleaner than NYC subways and less crowded for sure.

The quality of your ride depends on how new your train car is too as there are some old ones that are on the verge of retiring. If you've been to Asia then of course it will feel 3rd world in comparison.

beat

Oh wow that's great. The new line extensions are making this more viable an option, just don't know anyone that's ever used it lol.
I rode the Expo line when it first expanded out to Culver City. Haven't been on it lately. The red and purple lines are heavy rail subways. There's no cell phone reception underground. The rest are light rail and a mix of above ground, at-grade, and subways. At-grade parts are slow and a bit of pain to board or deboard when you need to cross the street, but I think they were trying to do something clever with traffic light synching so the streetcars aren't held up by red lights too much.

Transit in general is better with apps like Transit, Google Maps, maybe the LA Metro app, and the nextbus.com website.

SeanC

The trains are great, they just need a good six or seven more lines throughout the city (and valley) so we can stop taking shitty bus routes that are overcrowded and never on time.

Having lived in NYC for 14 years, I'm excited to try out the Expo line extension here in Santa Monica. There's a stop a five minute walk from my place and I like the idea of taking it downtown to go out or to see a show. 40 something minutes seems a little long, but maybe better than being stuck in traffic for even longer. I do wish these had been built underground. Ah well, seems like in LA you take what you can get with public transit.

Top Bottom