• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
The trains are great, they just need a good six or seven more lines throughout the city (and valley) so we can stop taking shitty bus routes that are overcrowded and never on time.

Dear god yes. More in the valley please! That and a lot of the bus routes don't even have an express to boot! Just, WHY?

I take the Red line to the Expo line every week to USC for class. It's hit or miss. They can be perfect and clean some times and other times be filled with homeless degenerates. I've seen people smoke weed on them, deal drugs openly, someone get punched in the face, people screaming at each other, etc. But hey, it's cheap.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question for everyone! I have yet to go visit Venice beach and I have a guest in town wanting to go. What do you recommend? Weekday or weekend? Best place to park? What's a must see/do? Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I have a question for everyone! I have yet to go visit Venice beach and I have a guest in town wanting to go. What do you recommend? Weekday or weekend? Best place to park? What's a must see/do? Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

eat a Blue Star donut.

Walk Abbott Kinney and the strand itself. Maybe rent bikes if you want to ride (you can ride all the way up to the Santa Monica Pier quite easily).

Enjoy the show

eat a Blue Star donut.

Walk Abbott Kinney and the strand itself. Maybe rent bikes if you want to ride (you can ride all the way up to the Santa Monica Pier quite easily).

Enjoy the show

This is all good advice. There are fairly cheap hourly lots off Main Street heading from Santa Monica into Venice and those are just a couple blocks from the beach. You might also find street parking but the weekends there are really busy so YMMV.

Biking along beach is the best as there are miles and miles of trail from Venice to Santa Monica and back. There's a lot to see along Venice beach with great people watching, but if you want a bite do go to Abbot Kinney and check things out. There's also a delish casual/ take out spot a couple blocks from there, Gjusta.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This is all good advice. There are fairly cheap hourly lots off Main Street heading from Santa Monica into Venice and those are just a couple blocks from the beach. You might also find street parking but the weekends there are really busy so YMMV.

Biking along beach is the best as there are miles and miles of trail from Venice to Santa Monica and back. There's a lot to see along Venice beach with great people watching, but if you want a bite do go to Abbot Kinney and check things out. There's also a delish casual/ take out spot a couple blocks from there, Gjusta.

oh yeah, Gjusta is a terrific call for lunch. Blue Star for a donut snack (go Apple Fritter or Blueberry Bourbon Basil)

Bollocks

LA GAF, I need to get to Pasadena
Fly in via LAX or Bob Hope?

I would prefer LAX because there are direct flights but I know the LA traffic.

Obligatory, what is there to do in Pasadena?

Pasadena itself is wack. It feels like a giant mall to me. I've heard good things about that ramen shop that opened up there a few months ago but an hour + line is bullshit.

Bollocks

Well in my case I'm flying from Europe, so it's either non stop LA or layovers in Chicago - Phoenix - Burbank :/

Jet lag hits you pretty hard when you're flying to the West Coast. So I would really prefer nonstop LAX and just uber to Pasadena but it's quite the distance.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well in my case I'm flying from Europe, so it's either non stop LA or layovers in Chicago - Phoenix - Burbank :/

Jet lag hits you pretty hard when you're flying to the West Coast. So I would really prefer nonstop LAX and just uber to Pasadena but it's quite the distance.

really? Flying west is way easier than flying east, in my mind (whether coming back from Europe or going to Asia). You just have to keep yourself awake on the flight to make it a really long day and then crash in the Western destination.

The overnight flights are what kills me, so hard to sleep.

Bollocks

Idk, the problem is that it is always daylight when flying West, at least that's how it was on all my transatlantic flights so far. so while you arrive at like 11:00pm - 03:00am EU time it is still daylight at your destination and that messes with me. While my return flights happen at night and they are also shorter. But in general I have no difficulties adapting to the new time zone, 1 night is usually enough.

Are you by any chance affiliated with Insomniac Games? Because I think I remember your name, you gave me a beta code for Resistance 3 lol

LA GAF, I need to get to Pasadena
Fly in via LAX or Bob Hope?

I would prefer LAX because there are direct flights but I know the LA traffic.

Question is difficult to answer without date and time of LAX arrival. It's either like 35-40 minutes to Pasadena or 2 hours.

Pasadena is great, although pretty chill. Not a whole lot to "do" there. But it's a nice place to hang out.

_Isaac

Anything fun to do in the Anaheim area besides Disneyland and Knotts? (Technically Anaheim is part of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area! )

golem

Oh wow that's great. The new line extensions are making this more viable an option, just don't know anyone that's ever used it lol.

I used to take it from Downtown to Hollywood all the time. Nice ride, clean, not crowded.

Its kind of a quiet town but theres some entertainment to be had.

Old town pasadena is a shopping area, its nice. There are some quality restaurants down there
Norton Simon museum and Huntington Library (garden) are pretty decent. Also you can take a tour of JPL if thats your thing.
The Rose Bowl is a nice jogging destination on non-game days. Also there is a huge flea market there every second Sunday of the month.
Theres a pretty huge gamestore in town called Game Empire. Can go play/watch Magic, Warhammer, etc. Bonus chik-fil-a across the street.

JEKKI

I'll be there! hoping to get all the free shit!

as far as things to do in Anaheim... nothing. lol.

there's the Packing District which is crowded and I've walked thru there but never actually eaten anything even tho I'd like to.

Downtown Disney, u can watch old ppl dance which is actually cool.

if u drive into Orange there's a place called Cali Tacos which makes california burritos as good as the ones in SD,

there's also a mom & pop video games store called PTR that had a copy of Lufia II for $60 last time I went...

I wonder if it's still there? I doubt it... lol. I shoulda bought it too but I didnt wanna spend $60.

if all goes well tho, any free shit I get from the Final Fantasy show can be sold for $60.

broz0rs

Just curious:

Disneyland or Magic Mountain?

Cc0OZCBUMAAuLAF.jpg

This is Disneyland in a nutshell.

Even during the offseason, it's jammed packed on weekdays.

Chris R

Anything fun to do in the Anaheim area besides Disneyland and Knotts? (Technically Anaheim is part of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area! )

Are Downtown Disney and/or the Anaheim Garden Walk worth visiting? Visiting Anaheim next month and don't have much planned outside of baseball and/or hockey games.

_Isaac

Are Downtown Disney and/or the Anaheim Garden Walk worth visiting? Visiting Anaheim next month and don't have much planned outside of baseball and/or hockey games.

Downtown Disney is okay I guess. They have an ESPN store with some games kinda like Dave & Busters. There's also a Lego Store, and a Build-A-Bear and a Build-A-Bear-like with toy cars. Other than that it's just Disney stores, regular stores, and expensive restaurants. There is a movie theatre too with Liemax.

Garden Walk is a ghost town. I get a little depressed when I walk there.

broz0rs

If you're in Disneyland, Downtown Disney is pretty much by the tram area that takes you back to the parking lot so you can't miss walking through it.

If you want to shop and find some great deals, check Citadel Outlets. It's a huge outdoor mall with outlet stores. They even have a Disney store that sells the same goods as Disneyland, but considerably cheaper.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey LA Gaf,

Best seats at Dodgers Stadium? I'm wanting to see the Dodgers/Brewers game on Sunday 19th June this year. Should I just buy it online from the official website or are there other ways to get cheap decent seats?

Anyone tried Rukkus? They seem to have decent prices for seats (or at least a better seat selection interface than the Dodgers official website). Wondering if they'll sell tickets to buyers outside the US.

Chris R

Downtown Disney is okay I guess. They have an ESPN store with some games kinda like Dave & Busters. There's also a Lego Store, and a Build-A-Bear and a Build-A-Bear-like with toy cars. Other than that it's just Disney stores, regular stores, and expensive restaurants. There is a movie theatre too with Liemax.

Garden Walk is a ghost town. I get a little depressed when I walk there.

Well I guess I'll skip both then and enjoy some sun by the pool or something.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey LA Gaf,

Best seats at Dodgers Stadium? I'm wanting to see the Dodgers/Brewers game on Sunday 19th June this year. Should I just buy it online from the official website or are there other ways to get cheap decent seats?

Anyone tried Rukkus? They seem to have decent prices for seats (or at least a better seat selection interface than the Dodgers official website). Wondering if they'll sell tickets to buyers outside the US.

I usually just buy from the Dodgers, though if you're willing to wait right up until the day of the game (or even minutes before the game outside) you may be able to do better.

Depends on what the giveaway is, and of course a Sunday day game might be harder too since lots of families to go those

roller coasters? or polished / themed lands and rides?
Personally? Least amount of stress.

I can't stand Disneyland. The prices, the traffic and the crowds drive me insane. I've got a family of five, and I just can't see paying over $500 for the atmospheric pleasure of standing in long lines all day.

Compare and contrast with Magic Mountain; lower prices, less people, more time having fun on rides.

I get that Disneyland is a vacation destination spot, but boy is it overrated.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Personally? Least amount of stress.

I can't stand Disneyland. The prices, the traffic and the crowds drive me insane. I've got a family of five, and I just can't see paying over $500 for the atmospheric pleasure of standing in long lines all day.

Compare and contrast with Magic Mountain; lower prices, less people, more time having fun on rides.

I get that Disneyland is a vacation destination spot, but boy is it overrated.

Magic Mountain can be just as bad on a weekend.

I think Disneyland is much more magical. Magic Mountain is a roller coaster park

rc213

Hey LA Gaf,

I usually use Tiqiq or Gametime to buy tickets to see Kings/Dodgers. I love sitting in the LF pavilion where all the fun crazies usually hang out.

Does Magic Mountain not have the shade in their lines with the mist to cool down. Haven't visited in years.

broz0rs

if it weren't for the insane crowd every day, Disneyland is still a pretty cool place to visit. I also personally love California Adventure.

If you decide to attend, the single best thing to do is to plan your Fastpass times. You can save hours in line if you plan ahead by getting Fastpass tickets.

SKINNER!

Banned
I usually use Tiqiq or Gametime to buy tickets to see Kings/Dodgers. I love sitting in the LF pavilion where all the fun crazies usually hang out.

Does Magic Mountain not have the shade in their lines with the mist to cool down. Haven't visited in years.

I usually just buy from the Dodgers, though if you're willing to wait right up until the day of the game (or even minutes before the game outside) you may be able to do better.

Depends on what the giveaway is, and of course a Sunday day game might be harder too since lots of families to go those

Thanks guys :) Since its a Sunday I'll book it Early :)

Herbs

Banned
It's ridic that you can't find a 1BR in SFV below 1100 anymore

yeah, we got into our latest place in Valley Village a couple of years ago. 2B2B with washer and dryer in the unit and central air and two parking spaces and we get to have our two cats and two dogs and we only pay $1800. Good luck finding that with that many amenities now. We wanted to move but we weren't sure we'd be able to find that kind of setup again.

Zyzyxxz

It's ridic that you can't find a 1BR in SFV below 1100 anymore

yeah I dont know how people can afford rents when wages have been pretty stagnant in LA.

You use to be able to live in Koreatown in an OK 1bedroom for 1100-1200 and it wasn't a shithole. Now the 1bedrooms can still be found for 1200 but they are usually pretty dumpy and tiny as hell.

Can't wait until I save up enough money (or my condo appreciates enough) to build my own house, the only way I'll probably ever be able to afford a backyard.

see5harp

Was anyone planning on going to the floating points/Madlib/four Tet/Daphni show on 4/30? I have a free ticket if anyone wants to go.

Top Bottom