• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

SKINNER!

Banned
Any decent video game arcade places in LA? Also, I'm thinking of renting a car to drive around. Any driving advice for a Brit? Decent place to rent a car?

Also, comedy clubs. Which ones are your favourite LA GAF?

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Any decent video game arcade places in LA? Also, I'm thinking of renting a car to drive around. Any driving advice for a Brit? Decent place to rent a car?

The only retro arcade I know off hand is Neon Retro Arcade in Pasadena. I haven't been myself, but the reviews are glowing!

As for comedy clubs, my two favorites are The Largo and the Upright Citizens Brigade.

As for driving...don't be afraid to take it slow. There will be a lot of congestion, but it's manageable. If you can, have an app like Waze or Google Maps handy, it's the best way to see traffic where you are driving to. Always leave extra time to get where you are going, since often it takes longer due to traffic. Also, read street signs carefully, there's street cleaning days, streets that are permit only, etc, Being careful is the best way to avoid a parking ticket.

Leave 30 minutes early to anywhere you plan on going to. READ STREET SIGNS. Even if you think it MIGHT be ok to park somewhere. If there isn't any street signs try to ask a someone before you walk away from your car. As for video game places I only know of arcade bars which have been mentioned pretty often in this thread. 82, Button Mash, Blipsy.

If there is parking available where you want to park, you probably can't park there. Prepare to pay for parking, and just go ahead and valet everywhere. It seems pricey but just do it.

I like The Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, if you're down that way.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Oh! Also, here in LA...our curbs are painted. Different colors mean different things:

hqdefault.jpg

Red= no parking.
White = Immediate loading or off loading of passengers.
Blue = disabled parking only.
Yellow =Stop to unload passengers or items or freight only, usually with a posted time on a sign.
Green = parking for a limited posted time, look for sign.

You can park in loading zones on sundays as well without worrying. At least I've never gotten a parking ticket because of it. Meters are free too.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend any good home renovation contractors or handymen?

That is the question of the year. I wish I knew that myself! I've asked SO many of my home owning friends and NO ONE will recommend someone they've worked with. :/

What kind if contractor are you looking for? I was told by one that if you have a plumber/electrician/etc that you trust, to try asking them.

You can park in loading zones on sundays as well without worrying. At least I've never gotten a parking ticket because of it. Meters are free too.

You can park all day Sundays and any time after 6pm in yellow zones (unless otherwise posted, but I've never ever seen that).

Meters are as posted.

That is the question of the year. I wish I knew that myself! I've asked SO many of my home owning friends and NO ONE will recommend someone they've worked with. :/

What kind if contractor are you looking for? I was told by one that if you have a plumber/electrician/etc that you trust, to try asking them.
Two things:
1) install recessed lighting into living room and three bedrooms

2) run gas line to kitchen and replace electric cooktop with gas cooktop.

SKINNER!

Banned
You can park all day Sundays and any time after 6pm in yellow zones (unless otherwise posted, but I've never ever seen that).

Meters are as posted.

Oh! Also, here in LA...our curbs are painted. Different colors mean different things:

hqdefault.jpg

Red= no parking.
White = Immediate loading or off loading of passengers.
Blue = disabled parking only.
Yellow =Stop to unload passengers or items or freight only, usually with a posted time on a sign.
Green = parking for a limited posted time, look for sign.

Ah ok. Aside from trying to mentally reconfigure my brain to drive on the right side of the road, I also got these parking colours to make matters more confusing :p

Thanks for the heads up. At least I wont look puzzled whenever I try to find a parking spot and wonder why the curbs are colour-coded :)

My GF was interested in some outdoor activities and we're thinking of checking out the outskirts of LA for stuff to do. Joshua Tree Park, Mt. Baldy and she mentioned this one island that you can go snorkeling. Any other cool outdoor activities worth trying in or around LA? Also, your favourite studio tours? We've got our eyes set on Warner Bros studios but we're just curious if there's any better ones. All the online travel website seems to indicate that they're similar.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Ah ok. Aside from trying to mentally reconfigure my brain to drive on the right side of the road, I also got these parking colours to make matters more confusing :p

Thanks for the heads up. At least I wont look puzzled whenever I try to find a parking spot and wonder why the curbs are colour-coded :)

My GF was interested in some outdoor activities and we're thinking of checking out the outskirts of LA for stuff to do. Joshua Tree Park, Mt. Baldy and she mentioned this one island that you can go snorkeling. Any other cool outdoor activities worth trying in or around LA? Also, your favourite studio tours? We've got our eyes set on Warner Bros studios but we're just curious if there's any better ones. All the online travel website seems to indicate that they're similar.

What that image doesn't mention is that where you can park is just normal grey concrete. Just look for the gray spots. I think this image shows how it works. Normal grey concrete spots, ok to park. It also shows the red colored curb:

Outdoor stuff, there's a lot! There's Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead, the island you mention is Catalina, Joshua Tree as you also mentioned. There's beautiful countryside up to Santa Barbara and more south to Temecula where you can do wine tasting. There's hiking and mountain biking in the Santa Monica mountains. If you're up to a longer drive, Sequoia is about 4 hours north of LA. Those trees are incredible!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Venice Canals, Hollywood Sign Hike, Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, Sunken City in San Pedro, Murphy's Ranch (this is literally a nazi bunker in LA--although the city has been trying to tear it down so not sure if you can get there currently). Also all the beaches--Malibu, Santa Monica, Venica, Redondo, Long, Manhattan, Hermosa. I'm sure there's a bunch I'm forgetting. The Silver Lake Reservoir is nice to walk around although I think it's been drained for construction. Plenty of stuff to do in the water, too. Boat rentals (if you rent kayaks or canoes or paddleboats at Marina del Rey you can paddle out a little bit and see sealions and stuff), surfing, parasailing, etc.

Runyon is gonna be closed for a while

Just got out of the Grimes show at the shrine. Holy fuck the place was lit. So amazing, cramping from dancing too much.

Dunno what the trash talk in that coachella thread was about, she can PERFORM.

golem

Just got out of the Grimes show at the shrine. Holy fuck the place was lit. So amazing, cramping from dancing too much.

Dunno what the trash talk in that coachella thread was about, she can PERFORM.

Lol I was there too. Yeah was worried about the reaction from Coachella but she killed it at the shrine. My legs are going to be busted tomorrow

Chris R

In town until Sunday night.

So far today I drove out to Rancho Palos Verdes (crazy beautiful, I could actually see myself living there) from LAX then ventured into Long Beach before getting to my hotel in Anaheim.

Terrific weather, no traffic issues (terrible drivers yes, traffic no) til now. Now I get to crash in my hotel until tonight seeing as I couldn't sleep on the plane or at LAX after landing at 12:30 this morning

Anyone know if there are any stores or kiosks that are demo'ing Oculus Rifts or HTC Vive's in the LA area? I've been itching to try it out but I don't want to drop the cash to purchase without getting actual experience on it.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oh, also! We have a thing here called Puzzle rooms. You might want to check them out if you're into that idea of a "live" room puzzle.

LAist 6 Best Puzzle Rooms

The Basement

Puzzle rooms are everywhere nowadays.

Yeah we got these all over the UK. Still worth checking out though cheers :)

So we've been talking about how our itinerary will shape out and so far we got this:-

Rent Car (ideally a nice convertible but our budget and sensibility steer us towards a smaller/more economic one)

Chill out at Venice Beach during morning/afternoon. Try and get a surf lesson.

Snorkeling at Catalina Island

Griffith Park

Check out Science Centre, California African American Museum and Museum of Contemporary Art.

Dodgers Game - Are you allowed to wear other team's uniforms/caps even if they're not playing. I'm a Tigers fan and I'd love to wear my jersey or cap casually around the stadium or even LA but I'm unsure if this'll cause any unnecessary attention/animosity with the locals. It's not as bad as wearing a Yankees jersey at Fenway Park right?!

Comedy Club (undecided)

Restaurant, bar and food truck exploration. (Tacos, Korean BBQ, Pink's Hot Dogs, Chicken and Waffles if I'm crazy enough haha)

Video game bar EightyTwo followed by a meal at the Pie Hole.

Meet with locals either in a GAF/couchsurfing/meetup.com meetup.

That's about it for now. She's planning to check out some places and take a bus tour while I'll be at E3 during the week. She always asks me how to avoid people approaching her on the streets (especially Hollywood Boulevard) and I took a page out of Costanza's book and told her "Just look frustrated and busy like you're going somewhere" haha. Of course, I presume it isn't a funny matter for a woman but still, I think she'll be ok.

Dodgers Game - Are you allowed to wear other team's uniforms/caps even if they're not playing. I'm a Tigers fan and I'd love to wear my jersey or cap casually around the stadium or even LA but I'm unsure if this'll cause any unnecessary attention/animosity with the locals. It's not as bad as wearing a Yankees jersey at Fenway Park right?!

Just don't wear Giants stuff and you'll be fine.

Restaurant, bar and food truck exploration. (Tacos, Korean BBQ, Pink's Hot Dogs, Chicken and Waffles if I'm crazy enough haha)

Don't go to Pink's.

She always asks me how to avoid people approaching her on the streets (especially Hollywood Boulevard) and I took a page out of Costanza's book and told her "Just look frustrated and busy like you're going somewhere" haha. Of course, I presume it isn't a funny matter for a woman but still, I think she'll be ok.

1) Wear sunglasses.
2) Never look directly at person
3) Walk like she knows where she's going

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yeah we got these all over the UK. Still worth checking out though cheers :)

So we've been talking about how our itinerary will shape out and so far we got this:-

Rent Car (ideally a nice convertible but our budget and sensibility steer us towards a smaller/more economic one)

Chill out at Venice Beach during morning/afternoon. Try and get a surf lesson.

Snorkeling at Catalina Island

Griffith Park

Check out Science Centre, California African American Museum and Museum of Contemporary Art.

Comedy Club (undecided)

Video game bar EightyTwo followed by a meal at the Pie Hole.

Meet with locals either in a GAF/couchsurfing/meetup.com meetup.

That's about it for now. She's planning to check out some places and take a bus tour while I'll be at E3 during the week. She always asks me how to avoid people approaching her on the streets (especially Hollywood Boulevard) and I took a page out of Costanza's book and told her "Just look frustrated and busy like you're going somewhere" haha. Of course, I presume it isn't a funny matter for a woman but still, I think she'll be ok.

Dodgers game you'll be fine wearing Tigers hat. Really only Giants fans probably would get badly heckled.

Korean and Mexican food is in abundance. Find a Kogi truck if you can for Korean BBQ tacos.

UCB LA has great improv and sketch comedy shows 7 days a week that range from 5-10 dollars. Book in advance though. Assssscat on Saturdays is highly reccomend but sells out. You generally can't go wrong on The weekend shows there (though the late night shows get weird). They post new shows daily usually for a few weeks ahead of time on the calendar.

EightyTwo is solid. Button Mash is a new one that's also good and has great food.

Other favorites from me right now: Blue Star donuts in Venice / Sidecar donuts in Santa Monica. Salt and Straw Ice Cream (Venice, Larchmont Village). If you're downtown check our Grand Central Market (Loads of great options, some decent BBQ from Horse Thief on the street. Bemcampo burger. Sticky Rice, McConnells ice cream). Also near downtown/Chinatown is Philippes the Original, which invented the French dip and is classically LA (good pre or post dodger game hah)

Two other very LA food recommendations - Sqirl is my favorite brunch spot. Try to hit it on a weekday as the queue can be a little intense.

Newer and more eclectic is Trois Familia, French / Mexican Brunch. The menu is weird and can be hit or miss, but the Chicken Milanese and Mashed Potato tacos are divine.

What that image doesn't mention is that where you can park is just normal grey concrete. Just look for the gray spots. I think this image shows how it works. Normal grey concrete spots, ok to park. It also shows the red colored curb:

Not always. Sometimes there will be congestion zones (no stopping, tow-away during rush hour) that will be grey.

SKINNER!

Banned
Haha didn't expect the Pink's Hot Dog responses, My friend at baseball practise recommended me the place but I'm guessing it's a tourist trap. Will avoid. Thanks LA gaf :) and thanks for the recommendations! You guys are awesome!

broz0rs

Two museum recommendations, which I think are far superior. LACMA and the Getty Center has two of the most stunning campuses in all of LA. Even if you may not be interested in the exhibits they may be currently running, a trip to the campus will be totally worth it. Also, across the street from LACMA on Wilshire Blvd is food truck row. The Grove is also worth going to after LACMA.

THE Korean BBQ place to eat is Kang Hodong Baekjeong. It's an hour wait, prices are reasonable, and the experience is quintessential. There's many place in Koreatown where the servers are a bit reluctant in assisting non-Koreans because of language barriers, but not at KHB. There's also a decent amount of bars around that area to try out soju drinks if you're interested.

The area around Roscoe's is becoming a bit gentrified, and the customers who eat there are usually people not from the area (a lot of out of towners)

Two museum recommendations, which I think are far superior. LACMA and the Getty Center has two of the most stunning campuses in all of LA. Even if you may not be interested in the exhibits they may be currently running, a trip to the campus will be totally worth it. Also, across the street from LACMA on Wilshire Blvd is food truck row. The Grove is also worth going to after LACMA.

Also, Hauser, Wirth, and Schimmel just opened up and the inaugural post-war abstraction sculpture show there is incredible. Best show up in town at the moment. Def. worth a visit if in Downtown.

There are some good shows up at both right now. Both the Getty and LACMA have Mapplethorpe shows which are both stunning and complimentary to one another. LACMA has some great permanent pieces-- the most famous Magritte, some Pollocks, some Picassos, etc-- and a really cool show on men's fashion, Reigning Men. Totally worth a visit. We had tickets for the Rain Room there on Friday and it was lit purple for Prince, so nice.

Don't be surprised if you get some trash talking, but you should be fine. On the other hand, wearing a Cardinals shirt at Dodger Stadium during a playoff game, I was really surprised at how aggressively people were yelling at me.

Laekon

Don't be surprised if you get some trash talking, but you should be fine. On the other hand, wearing a Cardinals shirt at Dodger Stadium during a playoff game, I was really surprised at how aggressively people were yelling at me.

I had a Phillies fan friend that flew out a few times to see the Phil vs Dodgers playoff games years ago. Most people talked shit about his jersey with at least a smile or joking tone of voice but there were way to many that seemed like they seriously wanted to start a fight.

I currently live in a nice area of Ventura county but will be starting a intense program at CSUN real soon. Since I won't be able to work much I'm looking to save money on rent. Are there actually any nice and decently inexpensive areas of the Valley? Most of the SFV is either old and shitty or expensive in my mind but I really don't know it that well. I need to get down to $1k and will take a studio but even that doesn't seem possible in a nicer part of the valley. My commute is about 30 minutes so I might just tough out the rent part or try to find a roommate.

golem

That is a VERY good point! ALWAYS read the signs!

Haha yep

Regarding museums, LACMA and Getty are the best in LA. Getty is free except for parking (you can take a bus there). Broad museum is the new hotness, get a reservation if you can (you probably cant). MOCA/Geffen (depending on the exhibit) and Science Center/Natural History museum are definitely worthwhile as well.

Yess bus tour

2a315fa0a7a46acd1fb8a8aa0720b987f3361315dd7764dd0d92518dbd2f9d31_large

Regarding bums on Hollywood/Sunset, they can be aggressive. If she feels threatened I would just run. It sucks down there.

I had a Phillies fan friend that flew out a few times to see the Phil vs Dodgers playoff games years ago. Most people talked shit about his jersey with at least a smile or joking tone of voice but there were way to many that seemed like they seriously wanted to start a fight.

I currently live in a nice area of Ventura county but will be starting a intense program at CSUN real soon. Since I won't be able to work much I'm looking to save money on rent. Are there actually any nice and decently inexpensive areas of the Valley? Most of the SFV is either old and shitty or expensive in my mind but I really don't know it that well. I need to get down to $1k and will take a studio but even that doesn't seem possible in a nicer part of the valley. My commute is about 30 minutes so I might just tough out the rent part or try to find a roommate.

Unfortunately I can't offer too much help but I can confirm that rent in The Valley is very high. I checked about two weeks ago (only a cursory check, so not very thorough) and didn't see anything at $1k. A roomate may be you best option but even 2BR's may be too costly unless you can go with 3 roomates, two to a room. That's what my ex had to do when she went there and that was over 10 years ago.

Comedy Store is the best for famous people watching. I've had a drink/convo with Tom Green, Pauly Shore, Judd Apatow, Bobby Lee, Hannibal Buress, Chris D'Elia, Jason Reitman, and seen Dave Chappelle, Dane Cook,and Sarah Silverman all running around at the bar.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Tickets go on sale today at noon. Anyone else going?

Questions for you guys....how does FYF work? I know that sounds like a stupid question. I've never been to a music festival before, but I have been waiting YEARS to see Air and I think I might need to get a day pass to go see them. Do they announce when the artists play beforehand (as in time, not day)? Or is that something you find out only when you show up? Is the sound quality good? I'm sure it'll be crowded and me being short I'll prob have a good chance of not seeing anything on stage....

I figured maybe you guys could give me some details on the kind of scene I can expect before forking over so much money. Thanks! :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Questions for you guys....how does FYF work? I know that sounds like a stupid question. I've never been to a music festival before, but I have been waiting YEARS to see Air and I think I might need to get a day pass to go see them. Do they announce when the artists play beforehand (as in time, not day)? Or is that something you find out only when you show up? Is the sound quality good? I'm sure it'll be crowded and me being short I'll prob have a good chance of not seeing anything on stage....

I figured maybe you guys could give me some details on the kind of scene I can expect before forking over so much money. Thanks! :)

The higher up in the lineup- the later in the day they play. So you can safely assume Air will be be in the evening.

They will announce set-times in advance, though it's possible it could sell out prior.

Sound quality should be acceptable to good for an outdoor show.

People may be moving between stages, so if you really want to get close for Air, you can hang out at that stage and work your way forward in the sets leading up to them.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
The higher up in the lineup- the later in the day they play. So you can safely assume Air will be be in the evening.

They will announce set-times in advance, though it's possible it could sell out prior.

Sound quality should be acceptable to good for an outdoor show.

People may be moving between stages, so if you really want to get close for Air, you can hang out at that stage and work your way forward in the sets leading up to them.

Ahh, gotcha! Thank you! :)

Credo

I need some advice, LA GAF. A few weeks ago, I visited a couple of friends in Torrance. I stayed in Redondo Beach during my time there, and I loved every moment. The climate is wonderful compared to where I am now, the food was great at every place I ate, and even the dreaded traffic that I've heard so much about wasn't nearly as intimidating as I expected. My friend also told me that Torrance is one of the safest places in the LA area. I think I'm going back for a longer visit during the summer to see if I still love it just as much, and if I do, I'm considering moving there.

Can some of you who are familiar with the area tell me the pros and cons of living in or around Redondo, Torrance, and the surrounding areas? From the little I've seen it mentioned on GAF, it usually comes down to "Mitsuwa and Marukai OMG," so I was hoping I could get some more feedback from you all.

Thanks in advance!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think as always in LA if you like the immediate area you're living in, you're going to be ok.

The problem would be if you said you liked Redondo but moved to Sherman Oaks or something.

The traffic is the biggest issue in getting outside your normal hood. I live on the Eastside in Silverlake and the Westside feels like another country.

So as long as you can work / find work close to where you want to live (commuting gets to be a bear) - I think that's a cool place to live for sure. I'm sure others here could give you more specifics.

I need some advice, LA GAF. A few weeks ago, I visited a couple of friends in Torrance. I stayed in Redondo Beach during my time there, and I loved every moment. The climate is wonderful compared to where I am now, the food was great at every place I ate, and even the dreaded traffic that I've heard so much about wasn't nearly as intimidating as I expected. My friend also told me that Torrance is one of the safest places in the LA area. I think I'm going back for a longer visit during the summer to see if I still love it just as much, and if I do, I'm considering moving there.

Can some of you who are familiar with the area tell me the pros and cons of living in or around Redondo, Torrance, and the surrounding areas? From the little I've seen it mentioned on GAF, it usually comes down to "Mitsuwa and Marukai OMG," so I was hoping I could get some more feedback from you all.

Thanks in advance!

I think the biggest question is can you get a job in that area. You're life will be hell if you work up in Burbank or something.

The whole area is pretty mellow compared to other parts of LA.

Top Bottom