• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

beat

The traffic is the biggest issue in getting outside your normal hood. I live on the Eastside in Silverlake and the Westside feels like another country.

So as long as you can work / find work close to where you want to live (commuting gets to be a bear) - I think that's a cool place to live for sure. I'm sure others here could give you more specifics.
Yeah, I think as much as possible if you can shorten your daily radius you'll be a lot happier. And it's one thing to make a long trip once every few weeks for special donuts or something but if you end up, say, taking classes regularly 10+ miles away, it can be a lot of time. (I know that doesn't seem like a very long distance but you gotta consider traffic.)

Can some of you who are familiar with the area tell me the pros and cons of living in or around Redondo, Torrance, and the surrounding areas? From the little I've seen it mentioned on GAF, it usually comes down to "Mitsuwa and Marukai OMG," so I was hoping I could get some more feedback from you all.

Love Redondo. Would love to live there. Problem is freeway access and your job location. If you're working North of the 10, Redondo isn't really viable unless you don't mind 2 hour daily commutes. The 110 toll lanes help, but only if you're going to certain areas.

It's called the South Bay Bubble for a reason. Once you're in it, it's really hard to leave. Not, like, emotionally or anything. It's just literally hard to physically leave it.

Love Redondo. Would love to live there. Problem is freeway access and your job location. If you're working North of the 10, Redondo isn't really viable unless you don't mind 2 hour daily commutes. The 110 toll lanes help, but only if you're going to certain areas.

It's called the South Bay Bubble for a reason. Once you're in it, it's really hard to leave. Not, like, emotionally or anything. It's just literally hard to physically leave it.

Basically this. As long as you're working in the South Bay or West LA side, it wouldn't be THAT bad of a commute. To get to the closest freeway (either the 405 or 110) is a couple of miles of street traffic. Great restaurants in the area though; but if you're looking for true LA nightlife you'll have to drive a distance and I'm guessing the Uber/Lyft prices on distance alone is ugh.

Great area for families though.

Zyzyxxz

Basically this. As long as you're working in the South Bay or West LA side, it wouldn't be THAT bad of a commute. To get to the closest freeway (either the 405 or 110) is a couple of miles of street traffic. Great restaurants in the area though; but if you're looking for true LA nightlife you'll have to drive a distance and I'm guessing the Uber/Lyft prices on distance alone is ugh.

Great area for families though.

There's always Long Beach for nightlife depending on what they are looking for.

Credo

Thanks for all the responses. I'm self-employed, so the job thing shouldn't be an issue unless big, unexpected changes happen in my life, but I don't see that happening. I'd love to be somewhat closer to LA proper, but I don't know anyone in the entire area other than the two friends I visited in Torrance, so I feel like I need to stay fairly close to there. And because I'm self-employed, it's a bit harder to make new friends since I don't have co-workers to help me do that and I'm not much for bars.

I know it might seem crazy for a self-employed person to move to the high-priced LA area when I could choose somewhere with a much lower cost of living, but I really loved my time there, and I've been wanting to get out of the Southeast for a very long time. The wise choice might be going to one of the bigger cities out here like Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, or maybe somewhere in Florida, but I've never been one for making wise decisions.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm self-employed, so the job thing shouldn't be an issue unless big, unexpected changes happen in my life, but I don't see that happening. I'd love to be somewhat closer to LA proper, but I don't know anyone in the entire area other than the two friends I visited in Torrance, so I feel like I need to stay fairly close to there. And because I'm self-employed, it's a bit harder to make new friends since I don't have co-workers to help me do that and I'm not much for bars.

I know it might seem crazy for a self-employed person to move to the high-priced LA area when I could choose somewhere with a much lower cost of living, but I really loved my time there, and I've been wanting to get out of the Southeast for a very long time. The wise choice might be going to one of the bigger cities out here like Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, or maybe somewhere in Florida, but I've never been one for making wise decisions.

Good news with moving to Torrance/RB is that housing costs are more reasonable there than in Santa Monica or even Manhattan Beach, again because of the travel times. Great area to live in though. Buy some flops and enjoy the sunsets.

Trying to go to a beach this weekend. Anyone have recommendations? Don't want to do Santa Monica, Venice, or Malibu. Haven't really been to the other ones. Anyone got good lay beaches with solid food nearby?

Trying to go to a beach this weekend. Anyone have recommendations? Don't want to do Santa Monica, Venice, or Malibu. Haven't really been to the other ones. Anyone got good lay beaches with solid food nearby?

I'd probably say either Hermosa Beach or Manhattan Beach are tour best bets then.

snack

Hey LA GAF!

A friend and I are in LA for a week. First time for both of us. We are from Vancouver and so far we are loving it here. Last night we checked out KTOWN and drank at a place called Gaam. Great atmosphere for a weekday, manager even have is free soju haha. Anyways, were living within the financial district. Today were gonna check out the staples centre and feel Kobes presence TT. And la live too, heard that's pretty cool. What are some good places we should check out for the night life?

Lay beaches? For like, tanning or something? Or is that some spellcheck thing.

Hey LA GAF!

A friend and I are in LA for a week. First time for both of us. We are from Vancouver and so far we are loving it here. Last night we checked out KTOWN and drank at a place called Gaam. Great atmosphere for a weekday, manager even have is free soju haha. Anyways, were living within the financial district. Today were gonna check out the staples centre and feel Kobes presence TT. And la live too, heard that's pretty cool. What are some good places we should check out for the night life?
LA Live? Conga Room. There's also bars and clubs all over downtown.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Hey LA GAF!

check out EightyTwo...drinks and arcades...

SKINNER!

Banned
Damn,

I'm trying to rent a car on Saturday and return it on Sunday evening but there doesn't seem to be a car rental place in Downtown that's open until around 5/6pm :( We're thinking off renting and driving back to the airport to return the car but that seems so counter-productive to me. Is it common for rental places to close early on Sundays? We're only needing a car for the weekend as I'll be close to where I need to be during the week. Damn :(

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Damn,

I'm trying to rent a car on Saturday and return it on Sunday evening but there doesn't seem to be a car rental place in Downtown that's open until around 5/6pm :( We're thinking off renting and driving back to the airport to return the car but that seems so counter-productive to me. Is it common for rental places to close early on Sundays? We're only needing a car for the weekend as I'll be close to where I need to be during the week. Damn :(

Awh, man! That sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. I know that most of the airport car rentals are open longer than the ones away fro man airport. So that may have to be your workaround. Maybe you could return it earlier and uber back?

I'm gonna be in Placentia for Memorial Day weekend. Big Project M tournament.

Where should I eat / hang out after the tournament stuff ends each day?

Zyzyxxz

Damn,

Why not just use Uber? There are also new startups where you can rent other people's cars but I forget the name.

I have two tickets to sold out Silence of the Lambs showing at Hollywood Cemetery this Saturday if anyone is interested. I can't go sadly. I'd be willing to let them go to a GAFer for $32 for the pair (I paid $36). Craiglist has them going for $35 each.

Let me know. I can give them to you over email.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Ok...another LAX question for you guys. What shuttle would you recommend using getting from the airport? My sister is coming to visit and I can't get away from work to go pick her up. Normally I would book supershuttle but it seems on their website I can't book a reservation for another person (I offered to take care of it for her). I asked and she is not comfortable using Uber. Any suggestions?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ok...another LAX question for you guys. What shuttle would you recommend using getting from the airport? My sister is coming to visit and I can't get away from work to go pick her up. Normally I would book supershuttle but it seems on their website I can't book a reservation for another person (I offered to take care of it for her). I asked and she is not comfortable using Uber. Any suggestions?

oh man but uber is so much easier and nicer and probably as cheap. :(

has anyone been riding the expo extension? does it get crowded?

I live in Santa Monica not too far from the last stop and I haven't been on it yet, but it looks well used so far-- lots of people on the platform and in the trains. Thinking of taking it downtown to go out one night soon...

there has GOT to be a way to get a feel for all of the neighborhoods in LA that i could move to without having to visit. anyone have ideas?

tumblr_n1vpxt8mm81s4df8ko1_1280.jpg

How the 405 and 101 don't get labeled with some kind of horrible traffic description is shocking.

broz0rs

Probably going to guess the person who created that lives in the 605?

I live in the Bay Area now (we have left turn lights, and big lanes everywhere), but I had to drive on the 405 in midweek at 6pm. It literally was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
there has GOT to be a way to get a feel for all of the neighborhoods in LA that i could move to without having to visit. anyone have ideas?

Also....what are you looking for in a neighborhood too? Night life? Lots of activity? Close to a freeway? Close to work? Affordability? Do you like lots of trees? Like a more suburban feel? Diversity? etc....

Knowing this kind of stuff can helps us guide you some.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I've used Supershuttle. Maybe you can call them to do what you want? It would be crazy if it's not possible.

You're right. Thank you! I just had to call them but they don't easily display their phone # on the website so I didn't realize that was an option right away. Thanks for the heads up. :)

best recommendation i can give you is to live near your work. the commute can be soul crushing lol

Seriously. You can find a decent place to live within 10 minutes of work. Unless you work at the Farmer John plant or something.

Also....what are you looking for in a neighborhood too? Night life? Lots of activity? Close to a freeway? Close to work? Affordability? Do you like lots of trees? Like a more suburban feel? Diversity? etc....

Knowing this kind of stuff can helps us guide you some.

Here is my situation:

We can probably ignore the commute question. Before you laugh me out of the thread, I say that because the only commute I have is getting to the airport on Monday and returning from the airport on Thursday. So if I can get there within an hour on each of those days I'm happy.

Second thing I'm looking for is a place where I don't need to have a car. Especially because I'm in town only on the weekends. I know by now I'm just asking to be dismissed out of here but I've read that it is indeed possible to do it in LA! I absolutely LOVE biking and I want to be able to bike anywhere I want to go. I visited friends in Santa Monica and they just biked everywhere. Plus I don't mind getting zip cars and rental cars and ubers to get places.

Third thing I'm looking for is outdoor activities Like a social sports league. I also want to be somewhere where I can get to music lessons but I imagine this is easy to find.

Fourth, affordability. I'd love to pay less than a grand (with as many roommates as it takes). Aren't lofts supposed to be cheaper? I've been out of the rental market for a long time now. I guess we could say max of $1300 IF i don't need a car.

Lastly I do love a diverse neighborhood, though I've heard that everywhere in LA is diverse. Thought I would mention it.

Does this help paint the picture?

Zyzyxxz

Here is my situation:

We can probably ignore the commute question. Before you laugh me out of the thread, I say that because the only commute I have is getting to the airport on Monday and returning from the airport on Thursday. So if I can get there within an hour on each of those days I'm happy.

Second thing I'm looking for is a place where I don't need to have a car. Especially because I'm in town only on the weekends. I know by now I'm just asking to be dismissed out of here but I've read that it is indeed possible to do it in LA! I absolutely LOVE biking and I want to be able to bike anywhere I want to go. I visited friends in Santa Monica and they just biked everywhere. Plus I don't mind getting zip cars and rental cars and ubers to get places.

Third thing I'm looking for is outdoor activities Like a social sports league. I also want to be somewhere where I can get to music lessons but I imagine this is easy to find.

Fourth, affordability. I'd love to pay less than a grand (with as many roommates as it takes). Aren't lofts supposed to be cheaper? I've been out of the rental market for a long time now. I guess we could say max of $1300 IF i don't need a car.

Lastly I do love a diverse neighborhood, though I've heard that everywhere in LA is diverse. Thought I would mention it.

Does this help paint the picture?

I'd say downtown LA. For $1300 you won't find a one bedroom but you may be able to find a 2 bedroom for and split it for that price. From Downtown you can easily take the flyaway bus to get to LAX. It is a diverse neighborhood (hipster wise). Downtown without a car is very doable especially if you have a bike. Great restaurant scene these days and you can easily get to K-Town and take the expo line to Santa Monica now if you want.

I'd say downtown LA. For $1300 you won't find a one bedroom but you may be able to find a 2 bedroom for and split it for that price. From Downtown you can easily take the flyaway bus to get to LAX. It is a diverse neighborhood (hipster wise). Downtown without a car is very doable especially if you have a bike. Great restaurant scene these days and you can easily get to K-Town and take the expo line to Santa Monica now if you want.

$1,300 isn't doable downtown solo. You would have to migrate West to Koreatown, or more South towards USC area (and even then that's a stretch). Anything West of Hollywood you won't find anything in your price range. Downtown is decent for bikers though.

There's some dive (and small!) apartments in Hollywood/East Hollywood for under $1,000 which give you walking distance to a lot of stuff on Vine and Cahuenga (underrated spots in my opinion). But they are shitty. And small. You could bike to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip/Silver Lake/Echopark too which are major cultural hubs. Also you would have access to the Red line which gives way to North Hollywood and to Downtown. Most recreational sports teams are in Pasadena/Glendale area, but you might get lucky out in North Hollywood? Also you're looking at $30/50 minute Uber's to the airport living in this region (not sure if good or bad depending on what you are used to).

Really though I wouldn't bike anywhere in Los Angeles unless I was on a beach boardwalk. Drivers don't give a flying fuck about you and it's too dangerous.

Since airport was mentioned, if you have the option to fly from Burbank instead of LAX, by all means, do it.

Any reason in particular?

$1,300 isn't doable downtown solo. You would have to migrate West to Koreatown, or more South towards USC area (and even then that's a stretch). Anything West of Hollywood you won't find anything in your price range. Downtown is decent for bikers though.

There's some dive (and small!) apartments in Hollywood/East Hollywood for under $1,000 which give you walking distance to a lot of stuff on Vine and Cahuenga (underrated spots in my opinion). But they are shitty. And small. You could bike to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip/Silver Lake/Echopark too which are major cultural hubs. Also you would have access to the Red line which gives way to North Hollywood and to Downtown. Most recreational sports teams are in Pasadena/Glendale area, but you might get lucky out in North Hollywood? Also you're looking at $30/50 minute Uber's to the airport living in this region (not sure if good or bad depending on what you are used to).

Really though I wouldn't bike anywhere in Los Angeles unless I was on a beach boardwalk. Drivers don't give a flying fuck about you and it's too dangerous.

What do you like about vine and cahuenga?
Also you mentioned looking at koreatown, would you consider that a good alternative?

Strange that you say not to bike anywhere, while I was there it felt almost like Europe with dedicated green bike lanes in some areas. But maybe it was just those few areas

Top Bottom