• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

broz0rs

Any reason in particular?

oh god there's so many reasons, but it all pertains to LAX being a terrible airport and located away from the city. Burbank, on the otherhand, is located five to ten miles north of Hollywood and iirc is not an international airport so you'll get less traffic going there. It's also really easy for drop-offs.

also, agreed with the suggestion of not biking as a way to commute. The lanes are really fucking small in the city with no left lanes lights, and drivers don't have the patience for bikers because of it. Buses aren't so bad if you live near a stop. I rode the bus from 12-18 years of age and didn't think it was too bad.

Any reason in particular?

What do you like about vine and cahuenga?
Also you mentioned looking at koreatown, would you consider that a good alternative?

Strange that you say not to bike anywhere, while I was there it felt almost like Europe with dedicated green bike lanes in some areas. But maybe it was just those few areas

Burbank Airport (and Long Beach) are just way easier and less congestion. The entire loop system at LAX is fucking broken and awful. People everywhere. Constant back up jams. Lines everywhere. Most terminals have pretty mediocre food options, and the entire place is under construction. Burbank and Long Beach are heaven compared.

Vine and Cahuenga area are rapidly gentrifying (both good and bad). There's a lot of great bars and restaurants within walking distance of one another and it's a very young vibe. It's super hipster on Cahuenga, like a mini one street Portland. The music scene is big around the area with the Palladium, Fonda Theater, and various small night clubs scattered off Hollywood Blvd, so that's always entertaining. Plus Amoeba Music and lots of movie theaters (Art Light, El Capitan, Chinese Theater). But there's homeless, trash, and foreigners intermixed throughout so be weary of that. Plus things are semi-over priced due to it being a tourist hub.

As for Koreatown I don't know as much about it. Certain parts are REALLY run down but there's a lot of diversity there, in terms of food, culture, people, and things to do. Koreatown's proximity to Downtown is a big plus, but the drawback is there's no solid train lines in the heart of Koreatown (Purple line borders the North side). There's a lot of interesting bars, clubs, restaurants, and weird shit to do, but again I just haven't tried much of it. Maybe someone else in this thread can speak to it.

You mentioned for your bike you were in Santa Monica, that likely gave you a skewed view of bike friendliness of Los Angeles. Westwood/Brentwood/Santa Monica are slightly more biker friendly because there's a lot of money running through them so they have expanded streets to include bike lanes and have developed more infrastructure. But again based off your expense requirements you can't afford to live out there. Most places in LA are a fend for yourself mentality on the road and literally no one has patience for bikers. Some might argue it's doable, but I moved from Portland which is the bike capital of the United States, and it's like night and day difference. I would die out here on a bike, guarenteed.

Great, great tips. I'll start doing some research on East Hollywood and Downtown. Anyone know if West Side rentals hooks you up with roommates or am I gonna jjust have to sort through craigslist?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any new ramen spots this year? I've done orochan and santouka and all the usual suspects. Staying downtown but will be in Hollywood, Westwood Santa Monica etc.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Any new ramen spots this year? I've done orochan and santouka and all the usual suspects. Staying downtown but will be in Hollywood, Westwood Santa Monica etc.

Ramen Champ lives up to its name, that one's in Chinatown on North Broadway.

Anzutei is a good newer one downtown, on Spring Street.

Ramen Hood is a vegan ramen place downtown in Grand Central Market that is shockingly good, or at least this avowed carnivore thought so. Avoid their fake hard boiled eggs, though.

Ferulci

Hi Los Angeles GAF
A french journalist team (of 6) just got scammed by an Air BnB (the locator forgot to pay 1800$ in bills) and since E3 is starting tomorrow, they are urgently looking for a place where they can stay. Any good tips/advices/location to help them ?

Zyzyxxz

Hi Los Angeles GAF
A french journalist team (of 6) just got scammed by an Air BnB (the locator forgot to pay 1800$ in bills) and since E3 is starting tomorrow, they are urgently looking for a place where they can stay. Any good tips/advices/location to help them ?

Other than hotels in Downtown they might as well look on AirBnB again.

messiaen

The Sawtelle area has the best ramen as far as I'm concerned. There's one place around San Gabriel that was pretty decent too, but I don't remember the name of it...

But for the area you're looking in, I give another vote to Tsujita/Annex. There are about 10 different options in that area though. So you could explore around and see which one seems good to you or has the ingredients you prefer.

There's also one in Beverly Hills called Slurpin' Ramen, I believe. It was pretty decent.

I recently discovered Kotoya in Santa Monica. It's just a little pricey for what you get (shakes fist at their deceptive bowls.) They blow torch the chasu slices once it's placed on top of the ramen at the very end and it gives it a nice subtle char.

beat

OK, my apartment search is for real now. Moving to LA in July. Give me your tips, please. (Job is downtown, would prefer to live there or near Red or Purple line stations.)

broz0rs

OK, my apartment search is for real now. Moving to LA in July. Give me your tips, please. (Job is downtown, would prefer to live there or near Red or Purple line stations.)

can you be more specific because LA is a vast canvas. I think you're at a good starting point because since your job is in Downtown, your living situation will be great and commute will be local.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member

Along the red line.... rent will be cheapest in NoHo, which is the last stop on the red line...not so much in Studio City. Hollywood is hit or miss...you either love that area or you don't. I am not sure about all the stops along Wilshire into D-town. I had a close friend who lived in D-town and loved it. Best of luck!

beat

can you be more specific because LA is a vast canvas. I think you're at a good starting point because since your job is in Downtown, your living situation will be great and commute will be local.

Work is downtown and the main thing I want to do outside of work mostly lies close to various Red Line stations.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Great, great tips. I'll start doing some research on East Hollywood and Downtown. Anyone know if West Side rentals hooks you up with roommates or am I gonna jjust have to sort through craigslist?

I also have friends who bike in NoHo to Burbank from work via the Chandler bike path. The valley is a bit more bike friendly....

Not sure if Westside rentals do roommates but it's been 6 years since I last used it.

I'd be just on the edge of being able to afford it and it seems like most places downtown don't have rent control, so the next year I might be screwed.

Got it. See my previous posts then. East Hollywood would be best bet given price range.

Purple line is still undeveloped but they are extending it West. If you can wait until that open I would recommend Midacle Mile station near La Brea. Or Centurty City station. Much cleaner areas, not as much to do in my opinion as East Hollywood around Vine Red Line station.

Zyzyxxz

Got it. See my previous posts then. East Hollywood would be best bet given price range.

Purple line is still undeveloped but they are extending it West. If you can wait until that open I would recommend Midacle Mile station near La Brea. Or Centurty City station. Much cleaner areas, not as much to do in my opinion as East Hollywood around Vine Red Line station.

LOL that Miracle Mile station isn't happening for at least 6-7 more years (2023 according to wikipedia). Wilshire/Western and Wilshire/Normandie are your best bets along the purple line. Rent in Ktown is still reasonable and Ktown is a cool place to live. East Hollywood is more car friendly though and is probably a little bit cheaper albeit some areas a little more ghetto too.

broz0rs

Chinatown might be worth looking into. It's starting to show signs of gentrification so rent might still be affordable but probably not for long.

LOL that Miracle Mile station isn't happening for at least 6-7 more years (2023 according to wikipedia). Wilshire/Western and Wilshire/Normandie are your best bets along the purple line. Rent in Ktown is still reasonable and Ktown is a cool place to live. East Hollywood is more car friendly though and is probably a little bit cheaper albeit some areas a little more ghetto too.

Whoops for some reason I thought they were way further along. He mentioned needing Red/Purple line access though. Korea town doesn't really work for that. IMO you've got North Hollywood, East Hollywood, and north of Koreatown.

Zyzyxxz

Whoops for some reason I thought they were way further along. He mentioned needing Red/Purple line access though. Korea town doesn't really work for that. IMO you've got North Hollywood, East Hollywood, and north of Koreatown.

Koreatown has the purple lines at Wilshire/Normandie and Wilshire/Western

Anyone hit up Smorgasburg yesterday? I managed to try 4-5 dishes that were all pretty good. The mozzarella sticks from Big Mozz were really great.

mozz.jpg

Not my photo.

Yamabro

Banned
All the transplants on twitter complaining about the heat are making me laugh. Drink some water and stay in the shade. You'll be alright. It's just a few days of heat.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone hit up Smorgasburg yesterday? I managed to try 4-5 dishes that were all pretty good. The mozzarella sticks from Big Mozz were really great.

Not my photo.

Hell no the heat was crazy, but I heard a lot of people went still. I'm going next weekend since alot of my chef friends are there.

Meaning probably 2025 in real life. =/

well if we get the Olympics for 2024 then it will be fast tracked to make sure its operational then.

RedAssedApe

Banned
as cool as the expo line extension is...the modified bus line from palms to ucla sucks now.

had to take the bus to work today but the 12 bus doesn't go east of overland anymore. had to take the 17 bus which takes a detour through sawtelle and the VA before it finally loops back around to westwood. its even worse on the way home where traffic around sawtelle between santa monica and pico is horrid.

45-1hr bus ride now

any tips? or am i just doing it wrong. almost seems like it'd be cheaper to ride the metro rail from palms to westwood station and take the 12 from there...if you can get the timing right of course

RedAssedApe

Banned
I have no idea where you are, but the Culver City 6 goes to UCLA South Campus from most of the same places in West LA / Palms / Culver that the Big Blue 12 used to (mostly up Sepulveda from Jefferson to Wilshire). You can also get the Big Blue Bus 8 which runs from Santa Monica up Ocean Park, along National in Culver, and then up Westwood.

i live near palms and national/exposition.
it looks like the CC6 and BBB8 are both farther away than the 12 would be. oh well i guess i'll just have to plan ahead next time. my fault for not knowing the bus lines had changed.

luckily i have campus parking. it was more of a one time thing and me wanting to rant lol thanks for the suggestions though

Jetman

Cat-Con or Politicon this weekend GAF? I can either cringe my way through a Palin speech and maybe get lucky and see Bill Nye. Or buy a Batman/Robin costumes for my cats, and a rendition of Starry Night with chubby cat faces replacing the stars. What to do, what to do?

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Cat-Con or Politicon this weekend GAF? I can either cringe my way through a Palin speech and maybe get lucky and see Bill Nye. Or buy a Batman/Robin costumes for my cats, and a rendition of Starry Night with chubby cat faces replacing the stars. What to do, what to do?

Cat-con. Hands down! :)

neoemonk

I'm visiting LA for the first time right now. So far I've really liked it here, but I checked house prices on Zillow and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I've got a family so I just don't see how I could afford a house here. A 20% down payment would pay for roughly 2/3 of the house I own now. I just can't wrap my head around the cost of housing in the city.

MrMephistoX

KCRW has summer nights going on in Chinatown Plaza tonight.

Thanks! Never checked out Chinatown for food since I live so close to San Gabriel anything decent around there on the authentic (i.e. Not touristy deep fried Orange chicken) side of things?

Also don't take the westbound 210 this weekend near the 134 this weekend due to closure everyone.

Thanks! Never checked out Chinatown for food since I live so close to San Gabriel anything decent around there on the authentic (i.e. Not touristy deep fried Orange chicken) side of things?

Also don't take the westbound 210 this weekend near the 134 this weekend due to closure everyone.
San Gabriel is the place for authentic Chinese now.

I'm visiting LA for the first time right now. So far I've really liked it here, but I checked house prices on Zillow and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I've got a family so I just don't see how I could afford a house here. A 20% down payment would pay for roughly 2/3 of the house I own now. I just can't wrap my head around the cost of housing in the city.

It's depressing really. No hope for us as young people. Even condos are fucked.

broz0rs

yeah, and another quandary is that you can be sitting on a bunch of cash to be able to purchase a condo or house, but you just feel that if the market crashes again, poof.. there goes your value that you worked your whole life for.

-------------------------

so another potential top tier ramen joint opened on Sawtelle, it's a Kyoto style ramen too

One of Kyoto's Most Important Ramen Shops Just Opened on Sawtelle

the article also says it's headed by one of the founders of Ramen Champ. By any chance, is it the GAF bro who posts here?

Zyzyxxz

so another potential top tier ramen joint opened on Sawtelle, it's a Kyoto style ramen too

One of Kyoto's Most Important Ramen Shops Just Opened on Sawtelle

the article also says it's headed by one of the founders of Ramen Champ. By any chance, is it the GAF bro who posts here?

No, I dis-associated myself with Ramen Champ a long time ago. This is actually one of the original partners though that I worked with.

It is a good alternative to Tsujita down the street and he's done well to help the shop get open so I do encourage you guys to check it out.

MrMephistoX

San Gabriel is the place for authentic Chinese now.

True dat oh well food wise Im glad I wont find myself needing to deal with downtown L.A parking...is the Ramen scene okay in Pasadena? I heard good things from my Japanese stylist but it's always hard to get a the real deal vs what they think Gaijin will like ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No, I dis-associated myself with Ramen Champ a long time ago. This is actually one of the original partners though that I worked with.

It is a good alternative to Tsujita down the street and he's done well to help the shop get open so I do encourage you guys to check it out.
Cool, I tried Annex or the first time recently and was surprised by the broth. 10/10
Sounds like a good next stop.

Zyzyxxz

Cool, I tried Annex or the first time recently and was surprised by the broth. 10/10
Sounds like a good next stop.

Annex is legit but I can't eat that stuff anymore its too unhealthy for me and its not something I want my doctor knowing that I eat LOL.

golem

True dat oh well food wise Im glad I wont find myself needing to deal with downtown L.A parking...is the Ramen scene okay in Pasadena? I heard good things from my Japanese stylist but it's always hard to get a the real deal vs what they think Gaijin will like ;)

Tatsunoya is just ok. Modan is.. not good. Silverlake Ramen and Daikokuya/Shinsen are just 15 min away from there, so not sure why you wouldnt head to those spots instead.

Top Bottom