• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

mescalineeyes said:
last time I checked, d-pad up was zoom.

Actually, I'd like to know the different control schemes available in LP2. Thetrin, or any other takers, can you fill us in on the different control choices?

Dai Kaiju

There's an upsettingly small amount of hype around this game. Are there commericals? I wouldn't know. I don't have a TV anymore :(.... I don't know why they decided to release the demo so long before the release of the actual game.

According to gamestop.com, the code for the 2 extra multiplayer maps is actually inside the game case. What about the extra GOW skins though? Is that a special deal too? Or can anyone get them?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dai Kaiju said:
There's an upsettingly small amount of hype around this game. Are there commericals? I wouldn't know. I don't have a TV anymore :(.... I don't know why they decided to release the demo so long before the release of the actual game.

According to gamestop.com, the code for the 2 extra multiplayer maps is actually inside the game case. What about the extra GOW skins though? Is that a special deal too? Or can anyone get them?

Got the game at midnight launch at my store, about 10 guys or so.

DLC code printed on the RECEIPT! not in game box.

Commericial, yes, there is one, saw on SyFy today.

LP1 demo was released long before it came out, they kept with tradition.

COG skins are unlocked after beating single player.

Happy Hunting all!

Finished Episode 4 - a four mission chapter in online co-op. Amazing the things they crammed into this game. Underwater mech shooting action and RIDICULOUS underwater boss fight. So damn epic.

ScHlAuChi

Price Drop said:
Better. A bit different since Lost Planet is isolated and enemies spring out as you walk by.

LP2 is a lot of massive confrontation. What's good is that they give you what you want to take down the enemies. A lot of Vital Suits, gatling guns, shotguns, grenades, etc. The biggest plus is online co-op.

SP mode better too?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Price Drop said:
Finished Episode 4 - a four mission chapter in online co-op. Amazing the things they crammed into this game. Underwater mech shooting action and RIDICULOUS underwater boss fight. So damn epic.

I'm looking forward to the end of Ep 4. Me and my buddy just finished the submarine theft.

Btw, am I crazy, or was the Railway gun Red Eye fight AWESOME in co-op? Truly truly awesome level. Maybe reviewers should start playing multiplayer games WITH PEOPLE.

ScHlAuChi said:
SP mode better too?

I like single-player. The feel is different from the first because you have a squad and each mission is fairly short. It can be difficult solo, but each level can be mastered after a few tries.

thetrin said:
I'm looking forward to the end of Ep 4. Me and my buddy just finished the submarine theft.

Btw, am I crazy, or was the Railway gun Red Eye fight AWESOME in co-op? Truly truly awesome level. Maybe reviewers should start playing multiplayer games WITH PEOPLE.

Freakin' awesome. It is WAY satisfying loading the railgun (while a friend cools the ship) and taking a portion of the Red Eye Worm flesh off. Yep, I think the early review builds were missing online people who were actually good at the game haha.

Feindflug

I'm getting the game today along with SSFIV though I have to wait about a week to play with my friends...some impressions from you guys sound really awesome - can't wait! :)

Freak

My PS3 copy just arrived along with a cute little akrid figurine that looks a little like a sex toy, SO looking forward to co-op'ing this one. :D

Fireflu

Freak said:
My PS3 copy just arrived along with a cute little akrid figurine that looks a little like a sex toy, SO looking forward to co-op'ing this one. :D

Haha ditto (regarding "toy"), cant wait to play this sucker, once uni is over...... fuuu

Sectus

Okay, one tip... if you're playing solo, make sure you choose "offline" as connection type. Otherwise you'll get kicked back to the main menu if you lose connection to xbox live while playing >.<

Grabbed this earlier. Just messing around online atm.
Going to try and talk my brother and his mate into getting it so we can co op the game :D

ordering from gamestop sucks ass. they packaged the game and put a hold on my card sometime last week so i wasn't able to cancel.

i guess i needed the reminder of why amazon is so much better when it comes to ordering games online.

hopefully i'll enjoy the game (nobody i know is buying it...) because i'm not returning it to then lose out on the 10$ in shipping.

Sectus

Game might not have dropin coop, but surprisingly enough it has perfect dropout coop. I was playing as guest in a server, and everybody else left, but the game still kept going for me.

BattleMonkey said:
So does the netcode not suck ass like LP1?
Coop netcode is perfect. Netcode for multiplayer feels the same as LP1 to me.

Zozobra

Ack, I caved and bought this. The allure of a four-player campaign was too much to not at least give this a try. Is there going to be an online meet-up thread for this? I'm a reliable co-op'er and I've got a pal I'll be playing with as well.

Read complaints about the story but I like how each episode is a different faction. It sets up completely different locals and gameplay sets that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Also, in each level, you really have no idea what is going to happen or how exactly to deal with a massive boss situation.

Sectus

I suddenly got a big reminder how I best liked the campaign in Lost Planet 1. I played through that twice, once on easy or normal, and once on hard. And it was muuuuuch more fun on the harder difficulty.

I just had to finish a mission in LP2 in an absurd way. I had to activate and defend 4 data posts all by myself, since my teammates left the game and there were no AI teammates. Insanely difficult, but also very fun and rewarding to actually complete it.

I like that the levels are much more open now. I think that will make the game much more replayable too. And from what I've played, the AI is really good. It knows how to grapple around the map, it's not shy about raping you with grenades after you're knocked down, and it'll randomly taunt you. It has so much more personality than other games, and feels much more dynamic.

The AI teammates aren't that bad either. From what I've played, one will usually follow you while the other 2 do their own thing. And they will kill enemies, activate data posts and pick up better weapons (they seem ignore VS weapons and armor suits most of the time though, I'm guessing Capcom didn't want the player to feel cheated from those items).

There's a few things I don't like though, like loot boxes are fun to pick up but they're essentially pointless since they just contain a few credits. Customization so far is kinda meh. I don't like any of the designs and I'm disappointed snow bunny isn't in the game. The game also lies a little bit about the amount of customization. When you choose a faction and go through the ???? list, that includes all of the parts for the other factions too. And I've got a bad feeling the game is grindy as hell. If anyone wants all achievements and unlock everything, I think you'll have to spend literally thousands of hours.

But well, besides those minor things, I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

SaitoH said:
With all the AI complaints, how's local coop? Doable?

Big splitscreen / local co-op fan here as well. I'd love to hear how this works with Lost Planet 2. If it works well I'm sure to pop it on my list of games to nab when a bargin rolls around.

Well, after my rant yesterday and doing a little more research into people’s experience with the SP, I caved. I’m a HUGE sucker for fine Japanese design in games (MGS, GT, RE)and after feasting my eyes on the 360 demo last night for the first time I knew that I couldn’t resist. I actually find that I can easily overlook the most glaring gaming irritants if the art direction is strong. Lost Planet had absolutely great art and this looks to up the ante in that respect. One thing’s for sure, I’ll be starting out this game on easy.

The fact that this is being sold for $39.99 here in Canada for the first couple of weeks made the real difference. I can easily get my money’s worth.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just played some multiplayer. I loved multi in the original LP and Colonies, and this is even better. The controls feel tighter and the new weapons and abilities really make the game a lot of fun to play. Looking forward to leveling up and seeing what else gets unlocked. I also like the added jet packs in the low gravity maps. It's fun getting on a launcher and rocketing off towards the other side of the map!

Maybe all the game's problems are in campaign, but I'm not seeing anything wrong here; the use of B for multiple actions has also not been an issue at all. I did notice one guy trying to melee attack me near a datapost and he wound up going into the crouching animation, but that's what he gets for trying to smack me while facing a different direction. :p

Sectus

TheFightingFish said:
Big splitscreen / local co-op fan here as well. I'd love to hear how this works with Lost Planet 2. If it works well I'm sure to pop it on my list of games to nab when a bargin rolls around.
Framerate holds up and graphics still looks good, but each player only fills 1/4 of the screen. So if you're playing on a SD set, it's VERY hard to see things. But with a big HDTV it should be no problem.

One little annoyance is that you can't play splitscreen online. But as offline splitscreen it works great. You can still add in 2 AI teammates if you want.

Max 2 players splitscreen by the way.

So yeah, bravo for Capcom "getting it" and actually mapping shoot to R1 in the PS3 version, even though both demos had it as R2

I honestly thought they wouldn't bother...

CloakedPuppet said:
Well, after my rant yesterday and doing a little more research into people’s experience with the SP, I caved.

Good decision my friend. You won't be disappointed. If you love combat, you will love LP2.

Brannon

This game is awesomazing. Shooting snow pirates and bugs felt right at home.

Also the single player quite decent, considering you can decide if you want AI buddies or not, and while it can be played solo, like Left 4 Dead, it is really meant for you to have three other (preferably real) people with you.

Last note; finally realize the SUPERIOR POWER of the dodge roll. It will save your ass.

Sectus

I just had 2 AI teammates move slowly towards an VS with a shield, while the other guy was using a VS shotgun. Who was calling the AI bad again?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Has anyone played the map ' Cube ' in MP yet? Shit is tremendously awesome. It's like a giant LP2 arena with a loud announcer and stadium full of people. Kill a guy, and he screams out "Beeeeeeeeeeeautiful!', "That's amaaaazing!"...stuff gets me so hype lol. It shows up on the small map playlists in ranked. Becoming one of my favorite maps in the game.

robot

Sectus said:
I just had 2 AI teammates move slowly towards an VS with a shield, while the other guy was using a VS shotgun. Who was calling the AI bad again?

They were backing me and my buddy up all the time. Even shooting T-Eng at me when I was all out and almost dead. My friend was convinced strangers were playing with us the entire time. :lol

Rhino

Heading out to pick this up from Gamestop right now.

I definitely want to play some coop with Gaffers here in a bit :D

GT: Dorian Tullus

-PXG-

AgentOtaku said:
impressions sir! :D

My concern getting the PS3 version was the frame rate. Frame rate is much better than LP1 PS3. Nice and smooth. Some jaggies here and there, but whatever. Controls are superb.

Top Bottom