• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

wayward archer said:
Rereading this thread, I haven't seen anybody arguing that everybody should like this game and should be forced to buy it and "deal with it". However I have seen people implying NOBODY should like this game, or that everybody should just accept that it's a 'mediocre game', which is ridiculous.

read the post below yours.

Kabuki Waq said:
err..... you seem to have answered your own question there :lol

Really!? Show me a perfect game, specifically a perfect third person shooter. I'm certainly not palming off one of this generation's most artistically innovative shooters because of gameplay tenets that some decry as "unfair" or "unnacceptable".

Also, I can't understand the concept of going from "day one" or "hyped for", then reading a few reviews to then have a stance of not even a rent. Not even the ability to check something out for a weekend without having to buy it? If it had initial intrigue, why not at least investigate it?

Kabuki Waq said:
read the post below yours.

Nonsense. I was reacting to the fact you stated low standards seem like the only way to enjoy this game. If you want to go that way, then fine, but from my angle, a lot of what the reviewers seem to talk about seem like intrinsic parts of Lost Planet. Huge boss battles that take a long time to conquer (as I said, Monster Hunter specifically offers this and nobody has a problem), with the hitstun and knockback seeming annoying in comparison to other third-person shooters, but also somewhat of a franchise standby. I'm not telling people they had to "deal with it", I'm saying it's part of the mechanics - not a by-product of frivolous and rudderless design.

Varth

Always-honest said:
I liked part 1 despite of its faws. but i part 2 you'd expect many improvements (that were needed).

Yup. To me, that's the point. They didn't address a single one of the MANY issues of the first one. They added content, but the content has issues of his own.

eso76

Varth said:
It's difficult not to hate that particular level on single player. Have you ever seen Modern Times? It looks like the scene where Charlot has to cope with 50 duties all by himself, running like crazy from one place to another.

Holy shit, that's spot on :D Exactly what i was referring to when i mentioned LP2 requires a degree of cooperation that goes beyond shooting enemies and healing friends.

That section is ridiculously bad. What the hell were they thinking ?
And not only that; that particular level consists in 3 long sections, during which i've seen my friend getting ripped apart by all sorts of stuff on his first run, thrown off the train (while he was INSIDE a wagon) by explosions, being pushed off the train by friendly AI, or falling off because his toe hit something while using the grappling hook. And when he finally gets to the third section (after 3 tries or so) the game suddenly throws an overwhelming number of different tasks at him, with like 10 new things to interact with he has never encountered before in the game and which the game doesn't explain -unless we missed it- how to use, when and why. All while the huge boss is munching the train away.
You'll die in seconds, while you're still trying to understand what does what and...you will be sent back to section 1 ? ARGHH.

OK, got to THE train level that seems to be bothering people. Played a few online games last night and it was hard, but we got close to beating the giant worm.

Decided to play solo, died the first time and the second time, beat it. Yes, you can get knocked off the train by enemies, which is why you have to use the train car indoor areas strategically. Not saying the physics are pristine, but it's reasonable.

Also, yes you can get knocked off the train by the worm when he hits it, but there's a total indoor area with the cooling chambers that will prevent this. Also, if you don't want to use the giant railgun (i.e. find bullets, load bullets, fire the gun) there are two turrets inside the cooling chamber that I used almost exclusively to kill the beast.

The AI brought the bullets to the chamber and loaded them, but never fired the main gun.

So, yes it's difficult. Does it make the game horrible? Nah. In Mega Man you get three lives and die with one hit of spike. It seems like people like their games to be a total breeze nowadays, but this kind of goes back to old school basics. You get better each time you play, then you win.

This scenario is also pretty awesome if you have all four players running their top game through the mission. Requires total coordination and strategy.

capcom have been absolutely fantastic this gen, saying otherwise is pure lunacy. sure they've had a few missteps but overall their output has been great.

a176

Banned
Lost Planet 2 is first and foremost a multiplayer based game. Hell, the day they announced the game and it's features, I figured that out. The demos were, *gasp*, multiplayer based. Why the hell anyone would think this game is/should be a campaign/story orientated game is beyond me.

Even the blasting "reviews" all say two things: single player sucks, multiplayer is awesome.

Could the picture be any clearer? I mean, seriously.

Perhaps what's worse are the reviews critisizing the game's rulesets. Complaining about shared thermal pool? How many other prominent games feature game modes with "shared" life amongst a team? Complaining about your character being thrown around? Would they have complained if there was no physics instead?

Guys. Seriously. This is just ridiculous.

Gamers cry and cry for coop based games and here is perhaps one of the best, most fun and entertaining coop based games ever made. If you've even had a sliver of interest in picking this up ... do so.

Also, Games Journalism.

To the poeple who are surprised that the PS3 version is being reported with problems, I am surprised at you. Here is the solution that has worked for me since last year regarding
weaker ports

Just give up on 3rd party software already if you own a 360 as well.

Unregistered007 said:
To the poeple who are surprised that the PS3 version is being reported with problems, I am surprised at you. Here is the solution that has worked for me since last year regarding
weaker ports

ilgresidentevil5bundle.jpg

Brilliant. I suppose you're right, though. Don't have a 360, so it's PS3 for me. Got no problems with the visuals via the demo, so it'll be fine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Unregistered007 said:
weaker ports

Totally, because Darksiders didn't have better framerate on PS3, and Street Fighter IV totally isn't the definitive version. Thanks!

You know what would be great? If we all judged on a game by game basis, rather than blanket statements.

Hey now, let's not bring the system wars in here. If it's purely about the visual fidelity for you I'd suggest waiting for the PC version- where things will no doubt look ace provided you have a beasty enough rig.

Personally, I think it looks just fine on PS3 (judging from the demo's)

To those worried about Framework MT 2 games on PS3- bear in mind this is the first title to use the upgraded engine, so a few teething problems aren't surprising (probably on both systems, really). I'm sure they'll be sorted with later Capcom games.

Unregistered007 said:
weaker ports

Holy fuck @ he people getting GAF accounts nowadays...

Hey, look, some good news!

Game Informer gave LP2 an 8.5 in the latest issue :D

Edit: just noticed Pylon is already on top of it. Carry on.

Poimandres said:
Hey, look, some good news!

Game Informer gave LP2 an 8.5 in the latest issue :D

Edit: just noticed Pylon is already on top of it. Carry on.

It was a decent review, all things considered. I quoted the second opinion in the review for balance, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm about 40% into LP2 (according to the in-game progress bar. I've fought about 3 Category G Akrids so far), and I'm enjoying the game a lot. I'm playing with just one other buddy, but I can see the game being infinitely more fun with 2 more people.

I guess I don't really get the hate so far. The game is a blast, and I'm not entirely sure I understand what people are finding is so damn distasteful about the game.

*shrug*

One thing I really like is how short so many of the missions are. If you're not fighting a Category G, you're going to spend probably about 5 minutes on a given mission (though they do seem to be getting a lot longer as we play).

Just finished Episode 2 tonight (where you start playing as NEVEC soldiers.) I'm looking forward to more. :)

Just beat the train level again in 2-player co-op. It was pretty flawless. One person cools the tank, another controls the main railgun to fire at the worm. This time the AI wouldn't stop loading bullets into the turret (didn't happen in the solo mode). Though if you do pass that level in single-player you get a 'I Did It Myself!' recognition.

Will have the review ready tomorrow. I like it. I like it a lot.

thetrin said:
Totally, because Darksiders didn't have better framerate on PS3, and Street Fighter IV totally isn't the definitive version. Thanks!

You know what would be great? If we all judged on a game by game basis, rather than blanket statements.

After the update they both were equal. That was regardng Darksiders, but how is Street Fighter IV the definitive version?

thetrin

Phoenix Fang said:
After the update they both were equal. That was regardng Darksiders, but how is Street Fighter IV the definitive version?

Didn't know that about Darksiders. Good news for 360 owners! Such an awesome game.

I was always under the impressions that the PS3 version of SFIV had better detail in the backgrounds (not that it really matters at all).

ANYWAY, that's not really what this thread is about. It's about Lost planet 2!

Xamdou

For those Gafers who have played the game, is the game as fun as the original? Is it a substantial improvement over the original in terms of gameplay?

thetrin

Xamdou said:
For those Gafers who have played the game, is the game as fun as the original? Is it a substantial improvement over the original in terms of gameplay?

I certainly like it a lot more. I've only done the first 2 episodes, but the Snow Pirate stages that were wide open were a lot more fun than the corridors in the Nevec level.

That said, the Category G Akrid bosses were fun as hell. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow. :D

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Amazon have shipped my copy :3

How's the character customization?

Also: Definitive version of SF3 :lol only because its easier to switch out sticks at Tournaments.

thetrin said:
I certainly like it a lot more. I've only done the first 2 episodes, but the Snow Pirate stages that were wide open were a lot more fun than the corridors in the Nevec level.

That said, the Category G Akrid bosses were fun as hell. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow. :D

Are you playing by yourself?

Varth

Xamdou said:

Not really. All of the problems and the arbitrary limits of the original are still here (except for the time limit given by the TE). Also, they made the levels smaller while making the game a 4 players coop affair, that is a bit of a nonsense to me. Sometimes you really have to fight your way trough the crowd to get a shot, or end up fighting huge monsters on a huge mech... on a tiny bit of land. It's pretty difficult to have a real coop experience in the more cramped and linear levels.

I enjoyed Lost Planet 1 mainly due to it's admittedly flawed single player player campaign. I was really interested in LP2 but by most reports, the single player experience is worthless. I realize that Capcom wanted to focus on the multi-player element in the sequel but shipping a game with a broken single player is downright ridiculous. At least RE5 was playable and, to me, quite a lot of fun solo.

I’m one of those folks who doesn’t have a single real world friend who is a gamer (gasp!). The idea of playing through a game with random strangers is not enticing at all. It seems like I may be in the minority with developers willing to neglect major portions of their games in favour of the cooperative experience. Guess I'll be voting with my wallet this time around, Capcom.

Oh well, Red Dead Redemption is only a week away. :)

I cant seem to get a straight answer on the quality of the loot game in LP2. Early previews indicated a heavy "replay in coop for phat lewts vs big bosses" style the game, but i havent heard it really addressed as a draw from recent reviews.

CloakedPuppet said:
I enjoyed Lost Planet 1 mainly due to it's admittedly flawed single player player campaign. I was really interested in LP2 but by most reports, the single player experience is worthless. I realize that Capcom wanted to focus on the multi-player element in the sequel but shipping a game with a broken single player is downright ridiculous. At least RE5 was playable and, to me, quite a lot of fun solo.

I’m one of those folks who doesn’t have a single real world friend who is a gamer (gasp!). The idea of playing through a game with random strangers is not enticing at all. It seems like I may be in the minority with developers willing to neglect major portions of their games in favour of the cooperative experience. Guess I'll be voting with my wallet this time around, Capcom.

Single player was fine to me. In fact, I enjoyed playing the train level without co-op buddies dying and then subsequently losing Battle Guage Points (lose all BG points and the mission ends). But the game does excel in co-op with actual strategy and communication elements.

The ally AI will always fight and kill things for you, but you'll have to complete major objectives yourself.

Price Drop said:
Single player was fine to me. In fact, I enjoyed playing the train level without co-op buddies dying and then subsequently losing Battle Guage Points (lose all BG points and the mission ends). But the game does excel in co-op with actual strategy and communication elements.

The ally AI will always fight and kill things for you, but you'll have to complete major objectives yourself.

hmmmm - well, if I read some more positive SP impressions I may just reconsider.

Thanks

geebee

Banned
For those who are playing through the single player.. how's the music sound?

I don't usually care for orchestrated soundtracks in games since they can sometimes be a bit over-the-top and come off as cheesy, but I liked the title and menu songs in the demo and the first game's soundtrack.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My Gamestop is being pretty cool about this... they're doing a small Midnight release, just because. Wo0T!

Such a random event... but very happy for it!

Drame

Is there a online match-up thread for Lost Planet 2?

I'll most likely join the party next week and would prefer playing the game in co-op.

eso76

geebee said:
For those who are playing through the single player.. how's the music sound?

I don't usually care for orchestrated soundtracks in games since they can sometimes be a bit over-the-top and come off as cheesy, but I liked the title and menu songs in the demo and the first game's soundtrack.

nothing memorable, from what i heard it's just 2 or 3 tracks being repeated, most levels i've seen have no music at all

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
ScHlAuChi said:
So is it better or worse than the 1st one?

It's better. Really enjoying the MP. Pirate Fortress was one of the only maps I played in the first game, since I avidly disliked most the others. But, they all feel pretty good so far in LP2. Haven't touched much of the campaign yet...waiting for 3 people to play with.

ScHlAuChi said:
So is it better or worse than the 1st one?

Better. A bit different since Lost Planet is isolated and enemies spring out as you walk by.

LP2 is a lot of massive confrontation. What's good is that they give you what you want to take down the enemies. A lot of Vital Suits, gatling guns, shotguns, grenades, etc. The biggest plus is online co-op.

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are you playing by yourself?

No, I'm playing with my best friend.

...why would I play a multiplayer game by myself?

CloakedPuppet said:

If you pick up the 360 version, my buddy and I will happily play through with you. We're gaffers, so you kinda know us. :D

Coxswain

LeMaximilian said:
It's better. Really enjoying the MP. Pirate Fortress was one of the only maps I played in the first game, since I avidly disliked most the others. But, they all feel pretty good so far in LP2. Haven't touched much of the campaign yet...waiting for 3 people to play with.
How do the rest of the maps compare to the (horrible) one they put into the LP2 demo? I think the only LP1 map I hated more than that one was the 8-bit one.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Coxswain said:
How do the rest of the maps compare to the (horrible) one they put into the LP2 demo? I think the only LP1 map I hated more than that one was the 8-bit one.

I'm not the biggest fan of the demo map either, but it's growing on me. My biggest problem with LP1 was the large maps...which were at times unplayable. The larger maps in LP2 are designed much better.

Nizz

Kabuki Waq said:
well you are in the minority if you never once felt the need to run and shoot in RE5. This thread is typical for Mid hype b level games. "Omg all teh reviewers are wrong...they shouldnt compare games....blah blah blah"

Fact is if your standards are low enough you can enjoy anything. Be happy you can do that. But dont try to pretend issues dont exist and players should just "deal with it".

Also when Agent Otaku gets hyped for a game it is time to worry :p
Awww, c'mon. :D For people playing the PS3 version, are the controls absolutely, positively L1 to zoom and R1 to shoot? I'm sorry if it's been mentioned already.

dorkimoe

ive been looking forward to this game since it was announced. The mp demo was a little dissapointing, im debating on canceling pre order to get red dead and waiting for this game to go on sale . Is there any sales for the 360 version?

somesplace

Neo Member
can you play this game split-screen plus online? i mean, if i want to play with my roommate, can we fill the other two spots with random online players?

thetrin

somesplace said:
can you play this game split-screen plus online? i mean, if i want to play with my roommate, can we fill the other two spots with random online players?
Unfortunately not. You need to play an offline game for splitscreen.

surly

Banned
thetrin said:
I was always under the impressions that the PS3 version of SFIV had better detail in the backgrounds (not that it really matters at all).
It's the other way round actually: -

Xbox 360 boasts superior lighting and higher resolution textures on a handful of the backdrops, and the characters have additional self-shadows not seen in the PlayStation 3 game. Speaking of shadows, they're smoother and better defined all-round on Xbox 360 too. Other omissions only found in the PS3 build are somewhat odd too - for example, while mountains are reflected in the water, boats aren't. The waterfall in the night-time jungle scene has an additional specular map completely absent on PlayStation 3. Indeed, the jungle itself is more detailed on the Microsoft console, and blended back on PS3.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/face-off-street-fighter-iv-article?page=2

But yeah.........

ANYWAY, that's not really what this thread is about. It's about Lost planet 2!
Back to the LP2 talk. :D

JaxJag

Banned
This game is extremely good, right up there with Mario Galaxy as my favorite Wii game.

edit: Wow, wrong thread.

Top Bottom