• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Synless

I Just wanted to throw in my two cents about The PS3 version and say it runs pretty damn good. I've noticed some framerate drops here and there (more so in splitscreen). I can say from what I've played so far that it runs better then RE5.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
*Shrug*

Been playing the 360 version all night. Just hit level 16 in multiplayer. The controls don't feel clunky; the game doesn't play exactly like your typical western-developed shooter, and that's what really feels different about it.

I would say if you enjoyed the original to not even hesitate to pick up the sequel. If the original or the demos for LP2 weren't to your liking, don't bother. It's as simple as that.

Oh, and I have yet to play either map from map pack #1. It may have been a freebie with Gamestop pre-orders, but most of the people playing either live in other countries or didn't get it from them.

Sectus

Blueblur1 said:
I take it no one has read the Giant Bomb review? 2 out of 5 stars.
I'd love to see a quick look with Brad playing the final chapter in episode 3.

Lyte Edge said:
Oh, and I have yet to play either map from map pack #1. It may have been a freebie with Gamestop pre-orders, but most of the people playing either live in other countries or didn't get it from them.
Same here. I got a bad feeling Capcom has messed up how the game deals with DLC maps. If anyone in the server doesn't have the map, it changes to another one. And the chances are pretty darn big there's at least one person in the server without the DLC.

Lyte Edge said:
*Shrug*

Been playing the 360 version all night. Just hit level 16 in multiplayer. The controls don't feel clunky; the game doesn't play exactly like your typical western-developed shooter, and that's what really feels different about it.

I would say if you enjoyed the original to not even hesitate to pick up the sequel. If the original or the demos for LP2 weren't to your liking, don't bother. It's as simple as that.

*another high-five*

Beaulieu

I and 2 of my friends bought this since it was 40$ in canada, good deal
We started on "hard" and reached the first "big boss" in the jungle, and we got owned.
A friend had to go so we tried it again with 2 players, almost got it, but got killed by the end.

It's fun to play a game that really challenge us for a change. And I like it way better than Lost Planet 1 at this point.

I dont like the MP tough, total mess, and the challenges are way hard !

EDIT : reading at all the negative posts in here, I don't understand how in 2010, some people still buy coop games when they don't have any friends also buying it. This game has clearly been made to play in 4 players coop. Shit they even made multiple sides of the prologue, thats awesome.

Coxswain

Yeah, after playing it a bit more, this game is fucking amazing. The campaign in co-op is just fantastic, not just for having some awesome fights, but because the whole structure of it has something that I haven't seen before in a co-op shooter: A reason to give a shit about how you play. Not being able to drop-in mid-mission is a small price to pay next to the fact that shared lives forces you to care not just about whether you yourself run off and die like a fucknut over and over, but about actually supporting the rest of your team. It's the closest you're likely to get to the old-school arcade experience of playing one of those 4-player sidescroller beat-em-ups with three friends and five bucks between you.
Of course it doesn't hurt that it's beautiful and pretty densely packed with some kickass fights, little optional side-goals ("hey guys I found a shortcu-aaaahhhh jesus fuck fucking nightmare squids in the fucking sewer fuck"), and the standard Lost Planet skill differential between differing levels of mastery over the game's animation mechanics.

Even the multiplayer doesn't seem as bad as my first (horrible) impression; the next three Ranked matches I played after that post were all using Standard weapon loadouts, and it was a lot of fun. Beyond that, Faction Battles also have pre-set match parameters, and if Player Matches actually let you level up (they didn't in the first game, and so nobody ever, ever, ever played them), then there's really no problems to be had here. Although to be fair, I will still happily quit any Long-Range Ranked game I happen to end up in.
Also, the time trials in the Training mode are surprisingly fun. It's weird how the first set of Basic Trials is more difficult than most of the Advanced ones I've played, but it does make you learn how to properly Anchor Cancel, which is a really satisfying skill once you've picked it up.

So yeah, this game is pretty much living up to everything I'd hoped it would be, even though I was a huge fan of the first game and pretty much expected the world of it. I tend to not pay attention to reviews anyway, but I'm going to preemptively file this game under the same category as God Hand and the first few Monster Hunter releases.

Zozobra

I played this last night with a buddy and was having fun with it until the two randoms we teamed up with dropped out after the first mission. It's pretty apparent that you need 4 competent players with mics to really get full enjoyment out of it.

That being said, I'm looking for some NA GAF'ers to play co-op with - PSN ID = Jucifer

Beaulieu said:
I and 2 of my friends bought this since it was 40$ in canada, good deal
We started on "hard" and reached the first "big boss" in the jungle, and we got owned.
A friend had to go so we tried it again with 2 players, almost got it, but got killed by the end.

It's fun to play a game that really challenge us for a change. And I like it way better than Lost Planet 1 at this point.

I dont like the MP tough, total mess, and the challenges are way hard !

EDIT : reading at all the negative posts in here, I don't understand how in 2010, some people still buy coop games when they don't have any friends also buying it. This game has clearly been made to play in 4 players coop. Shit they even made multiple sides of the prologue, thats awesome.

Good to know. I was planning to buy it since it was listed at $40 CDN (I was shocked as I was expecting full $70 CND...I'm planning to buy this with a friend to try out since we liked the first one.

NinjaFusion said:

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU SKIP THE LONG AND BORING CUTSCENES....
Seriously Capcom... WTF?

Twice now i've waited for the lobby to fill up and by the time the game actually fucking starts everyone has fucking quit.... which means you go back, wait again and then watch the whole fucking thing again.

I hate you fucking quitters. Fuck you.

Other than that though... i'm really enjoying this... when you get a team up and get into the swing of it, it's great fun.

Playing the PS3 version and haven't encountered the performance issues mentioned by IGN. At all. Seriously not a hitch... guess it must be later in the game? Or overstated? Bit weird if this had major issues after RE5 ran very well on PS3.

If they patched this to allow you to quit the cutscenes... and drop back to the lobby for people to join (like RE 5, but of course drop in / drop out would be better) then i would have no complaints at all.

It looks gorgeous, sounds great and is really fun - provided your team sticks to the objectives and communicates. Like the first game it reminds me of a 16bit shooter in 3D, you shoot, it's pretty, boss comes along, is massive, dies in a hail of bullets... rinse and repeat.

Having said that, i can totally see why if you played it alone it would be a miserable experience. But then, it is pitched as a co op game... so... doh?

Some of the reviews seem a bit too harsh...? This is no game of the year... but it's not terrible by any means.

How hard is it to find games to jump into?

Forget it. I read GiantBomb's review. It's really hard to find games unless you have friends. I don't know of any of my PSN friends getting this game, and I don't want to plan my gaming around their schedules. So, it RE 5 Gold edition for me. I'm no longer entertaining the thought of purchasing this game unless they patch it to into in and out co-op and level select on co-op missions.

Played it last night with two of my buds and we all had a blast. They are both pretty dang good at the game, and I was trying to learn how to sprint/reload/whatever in the first few levels haha.

Once I got the hang of it, the VS suits, guns, and overall feel was just great. Not amazing, but SO much fun, immersive, and a great multiplayer experience. There are plenty of targets, and the big bosses need more than one smart person battling it.

One level though, we did get this rating, and it was worthy of being posted here:

photo3.jpg

:lol

Llyranor

Coxswain said:
shared lives forces you to care not just about whether you yourself run off and die like a fucknut over and over, but about actually supporting the rest of your team. It's the closest you're likely to get to the old-school arcade experience of playing one of those 4-player sidescroller beat-em-ups with three friends and five bucks between you.
Absolutely, I find the battle gauge works really well. Things get really tense when we're in a tough encounter and the gauge is down to 500. Lots of yelling to be had "you better not die, you piece of crap" "YOU better not die", good fun. More so because of how you have to restart the entire level. In this way, the restrictive punishing death system works to the benefit of the tension created (you can disagree with the design, but it works well for us), similar to how Demon's Souls full co-op does (can't just respawn and restart as in the singleplayer, thus more pressure to not die).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well where should I begin...

I've played for a couple of hours now. I loved Lost planet 1 and even though I accknowledge that its regarded as a 6-7/10 game, it was still a 10/10 for me. My own flawed diamond.

Lp2 is just as good and fun to play ( if not more fun ) than Lp1. I'm loving everything about the game even though , again, I realize it has flaws and wether or not the flaws impede ones enjoyment out the game is highly subjective ofc.

Thus far the game has :

- terrible enemy and ally a.i
- horrible checkpoints
- the whole singleplayer campaign has as of yet just felt like some wierd objectivebased mp-pcgame from 2002
- the sound is very wierd, some things sound amazing ( like the shotgun ) and some things sound...well wierd
- the game is soo japanese in the sense of interface and user friendlyness, that is navigating shit made me feel like I was taking a course in...something ._.

Even with all the above I still love the shit out of the game, I love it I love it I LOVE IT....

until....

3-3

This level, it angers me beyond anything acceptable. I love battletoads, I love demon souls , I love ninja gaiden. But this is NOT difficult, its borderline offensive. Its like they just didnt want to do this level and yet whoever was forced to make this felt like taking out his anger on us the players.

This level will most likely ( unless I for some bizarre reason forget about it and try again ) be where I stop playing the game.

The cannon-schematics....what?

No seriously what?

I mean wow...ugh...just .....omg....wow

You made it a timed bossbattle?

With dependance on marshmallowbrained AI ?

Energize shell?

Wtf is a cobalt?

A crane?

Suddenly my cannon is on fire, how did that happen?

Where do I load it?

NO I DONT WANT TO ENERGIZE IT!

Unable to load

Uhm...a little help?

Hmm, oh...great...... this button turns the cannoncountercloOMGMASHBBBBBBBBBBBBB

wheres the fire button, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE FIRE BUTTON!?

FUCK THIS MAP YOU GAVE ME ITS A FUCKING 15X15 STATIC JPEG FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

[15 hours later]

Oki oki, I brought the cobalt to the energizers, I mashed the shit out of the B button, I loaded it, pushed the fire button, I've taken aim... now only to press fire, oh ! the boss is on the other side now.

O M G. everything is on FIRE I cant see shit

I'm trying to repair, " restore cannon to orginial position to repair"
I did it already, pleeeeeeeease let me repair ....

NO, you may not repair.

What are all these piecharts!?
Are they....are they indicating the time?
What happens when the shell-pie runs out?

I'm dead

Restart from like 2hours ago.

Battletoads, ghost n goblins, they are kids-games compared to this shit. Fuck atleast Demons Souls gives you a fair try before raping you in half. But this.....ugh, I have to take a shower :[

Corky

Baloonatic said:
I read somewhere that you can disable the AI team mates, is this true?

yea I tried that, felt nice playing the game solo, until like 40min into the games and the

Mines Dataposts & Drills

The game aint meant to be played alone :( unfortunately

Corky said:
yea I tried that, felt nice playing the game solo, until like 40min into the games and the

Mines Dataposts & Drills

The game aint meant to be played alone :( unfortunately

Interesting.

I don't think I can be bothered waiting for the PC version, I need my LP fix now.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Whoo boy I figured I could get over the controls but those missions sound like swallowing razorblades.

Total pass on this game now.
Worth it if you love killing big things and being in a mech suit. They nailed those things.

Also multiplayer is BAMF with all of those things too.

Corky said:
Well where should I begin...

I've played for a couple of hours now. I loved Lost planet 1 and even though I accknowledge that its regarded as a 6-7/10 game, it was still a 10/10 for me. My own flawed diamond.

Lp2 is just as good and fun to play ( if not more fun ) than Lp1. I'm loving everything about the game even though , again, I realize it has flaws and wether or not the flaws impede ones enjoyment out the game is highly subjective ofc.

Thus far the game has :

- terrible enemy and ally a.i
- horrible checkpoints
- the whole singleplayer campaign has as of yet just felt like some wierd objectivebased mp-pcgame from 2002
- the sound is very wierd, some things sound amazing ( like the shotgun ) and some things sound...well wierd
- the game is soo japanese in the sense of interface and user friendlyness, that is navigating shit made me feel like I was taking a course in...something ._.
Read the whole post, and I now dread 3-3. But I agree with your sentiments about the game completely.

Sectus

For the heck of it I replayed 3-3, this time with 3 total strangers, and it went like a charm! I think it's actually one of my favourite chapters now as I understand everything. There's a good deal of options:
-Load the gun
-Rotate the gun
-Actually use the gun
-Energize the gun
-Repair the train
-Fly the osprey
-Grab any gun (there's a huge armory in one of the rooms) and just go grazy on the boss or on the flying akrid/projectiles

I like there's a ton of options. The minimal necessary to kill the boss is only to make sure you use the gun and load it. The other stuff is optional. Hell, it's probably possible to kill the boss without using the train cannon at all, although you'd be insane to do that.

To everybody who are worried about frustrating level design, I think this is the only level in the entire game which can feel unfair. There's no other levels where there's any doubt what your objective is and how you should accomplish it. And as long as you're careful and actually think, you should be able to beat this (and any other level) on your first try.

quinntendopower said:
people still don't get it, do they? :lol

this is proper capcom goodness, as it should be. more proof people can't play ANYTHING other then call of duty and feel satisfied anymore. it's fucking pathetic.

I think that's a problem with the market today. In the past ten years a lot of U.S. developed titles have become a standard in action titles, but in the 90's it was dominated by Japan-developed titles.

LP2 is a classic action title designed for core users. It's technical, strategic, and difficult.

You can't buy any game nowadays that doesn't include a save point every 5 minutes and handholding throughout the whole game to make sure you pass it. There's no reason to punish the game because it can be hard.

Also, it's not fair to blame the controls. If you are decent at Halo, MW2, COD, you will be awesome at LP2. If you're not good at shooters, you probably won't be.

Even read one complaint that mech controls were clunky. Uh, IT'S A DAMN MECH. I don't expect to run around the level like Sonic.

FatalT

Banned
Woo! I don't see why this game got the reviews it did. I've already beaten it on Normal and unlocked Marcus and Dom. Now I'm just playing through it again on the other difficulties and doing a little multiplayer here and there.

Coxswain

Price Drop said:
Also, it's not fair to blame the controls. If you are decent at Halo, MW2, COD, you will be awesome at LP2. If you're not good at shooters, you probably won't be.
I don't know if that's entirely fair. It's not really the aiming and the shooting that people have trouble with; it's that everything else is a very distinct action, rather than just something that happens concurrently with the aiming and shooting.

The western tendency (at least/especially in first and third-person shooters) is that animations are basically a fancy graphical effect. They're there to make the game look and move better, and that's it; the biggest consideration to gameplay is that they tend to be distinctive so a player can immediately discern what an enemy is doing, and an innovation is considered something like using a new physics engine to make them look better.
In Japanese games, specifically, Capcom games, animations are almost invariably one of the most central mechanics to the game. They build in opportunity cost to each action, each one tends to have very distinct, specific mechanical properties (commonly invincibility frames), and generally tend to affect gameplay much more deeply than, say, whether your gun is full automatic or burst fire.
Resident Evil does this, Monster Hunter does this, Devil May Cry and Megaman do it; Street Fighter is nothing but a game about the properties of various animations. It's not surprising or unexpected to a Capcom fan that it would be a central part of Lost Planet, but if you're only accustomed to Halo and Call of Duty, having animations suddenly go from affecting almost literally nothing, to being more important than which gun you're fighting with, could definitely feel a bit arbitrary and confusing.

What's objectionable is that so many people are completely unwilling to learn a new branch of game mechanics when they run into it, and would rather call the game bad and frustrating for not being what they're used to than go through the process of building a new skillset for a new game. Personally, I find that kind of baffling, as learning new mechanics is why I play games in the first place, but I guess it is what it is.

Yeah don't get me wrong I love the way Lost Planet functions as I've played a bit of Monster Hunter, Colonies, some Demon's Souls, and countless other games that rely on that sort of control. It makes you think about every little move you perform and the realization that every stumble can have dire consequences. It takes me back to playing PSO where learning how to move around every enemy made for something quite a bit more compelling than a mere "click on this until it dies x152562363463463" action-rpg. Shame that all sort of went to shit in PSU(seriously the mechanics are the worst thing about that game even though it offers so many other improvements over PSO).

But my internet connection sucks and coop with humans is required to get anywhere in the campaign. That and the ridiculous checkpoint system. Yeah a checkpoint every 5 minutes gets stupid too but replaying what is apparently hours of the game? No thanks.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah don't get me wrong I love the way Lost Planet functions as I've played a bit of Monster Hunter, Colonies, some Demon's Souls, and countless other games that rely on that sort of control. It makes you think about every little move you perform and the realization that every stumble can have dire consequences. It takes me back to playing PSO where learning how to move around every enemy made for something quite a bit more compelling than a mere "click on this until it dies x152562363463463" action-rpg. Shame that all sort of went to shit in PSU(seriously the mechanics are the worst thing about that game even though it offers so many other improvements over PSO).

But my internet connection sucks and coop with humans is required to get anywhere in the campaign. That and the ridiculous checkpoint system. Yeah a checkpoint every 5 minutes gets stupid too but replaying what is apparently hours of the game? No thanks.

I haven't played it obviously but I really doubt you ever lose that much progress. I thought I read that the missions were pretty short.

Coxswain said:
I don't know if that's entirely fair. It's not really the aiming and the shooting that people have trouble with; it's that everything else is a very distinct action, rather than just something that happens concurrently with the aiming and shooting.

What's objectionable is that so many people are completely unwilling to learn a new branch of game mechanics when they run into it, and would rather call the game bad and frustrating for not being what they're used to than go through the process of building a new skillset for a new game. Personally, I find that kind of baffling, as learning new mechanics is why I play games in the first place, but I guess it is what it is.

From what I gather in many reviews there are two main problems that people have - controls and difficulty. I don't think the game has controls any more complex than other current shooters which is why I think that if you're decent at the genre you really shouldn't be taken aback by the controls in LP2. But a lot of people seem to not like the whole thing - from movement to aim to anchoring.

You're right. In addition to animation, certain Japan-developed titles smartly employ a nack of restraint in controls. A lot of U.S. shooters are very quick and slick from movement to aiming - like you're an ice skater with a twitchy mouse-controlled noggin.

Certain Japan titles restrict movement a bit to relay the properties of the character, like a gear-packed soldier in LP isn't Mr. Dexterity, just a tad slower with added cadence in movement.

This kind of differentiation just comes with game experience. To acknowledge both properly as a reviewer, I think is important for someone to more fairly and accurately judge the game.

Corky

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I am DONE

Spent the last 1,5 hours of my life trying to complete 3-3 for the second time and I'm done. First thing tomorrow this game is going back to the store and I dont give a fuck If they buy it back for a quarter of the price.

One and a half frigging hours of which an entire hour, literally 60min, was spent on that motherfucking boss and mashing B during the whole horrendously designed battle.

I kept hating myself during the whole encounter for giving this p.o.s game a fair chance, I widdle down the boss health to one last shot, again literally I get a tool-tip saying " ONE LAST SHOT! ".

I wait for the whore to emerge out of the sand, but he never shows up. I then, of course waaaaaaaaay too late, realize that he is behind us and moving in closer .

" nothing to worry about, this whole fight has been about me shooting shells into the asshole, even if the train takes a hit its fully repaired so it wont to anything "

I press the firebutton, and the screen starts too fade ...

" phew finally done"

and BAM! I'm hit in the face with a game over screen. THE MOTHERFUCKER 1-HIT KILLED THE TRAIN! GEE THANKS LET ME PLAY YOUR SHITTY GAME AGAIN FOR ANOTHER 20 H WHILE YOUR FUCKED UP A.I KEEPS FALLING OF THE GOD DAMN TRAIN AD NASEUM!

dont buy this game if :

a) you value your time, and like to spend it having fun
b) you dont like to be frustrated
c) again, play games for fun
d) youre not a masochist
e) dont have 3 other dedicated guys willing to split the burden with you

Just dont buy it at all...

You see I went into the game loving it and overlooking 100% of its flaws. This however is not a flaw...

My god, I've never been so angry at a game during my 20 years of gaming. The mere fact that the boss fight is a fucking hour long, and just consisting of you ( not exaggerating here ) just just just mashing B. Mash B to energize, Mash B to cool, Mash B to spin mash B to fucking break the goddamn controller....

Again, I looooooved demons souls. I loved running through a level just to be basically 1-shotted by a boss. You know why? Because 10 out of 10 times it was my own god damn fault that I died. So next time i'd play the level i'd think to myself " what should I do differently this time ".

Whereas in lp2 you'd go " god...make it stop...please make it stop "

In this shitty game you die if youre not lucky with regards to which side the boss emerges because loading/shooting/spinning the cannon takes 5 minutes. Theres noooothing you can do about a boss thats going to kill you in 10 seconds and the gamemechanics hand you a tool which takes 20 seconds to operate.

ugh I'm done, I cant believe I even spent the time writing and whining about this shit. But hopefully I'll steer away other people who might end up like me and having their shit ruined.

ps. Also , did...nooo.....did you ....did you really arbitrarily remove the ability to shoot the cannon during the last % of the bosses health? Just like that? Just to make this shit-fest even shittier? Did you?

Corky

luka said:
Corky, you just sold me on the game. Can't wait for the pc version.

xD,

edit: just dont go into the game thinking you'll have fun :p. Hate to say I told you so

Llyranor

Haha, now I'm looking forward to 3-3. It'll either be an absolutely awesome epic fight or a horrible mess.

For the record, I got stuck on the first LP1 boss for over 90 min on hard and loved every minute of it.

2 episodes in, though, the game's already provided some of the most fun I've had in a gaming session this gen, so the game is quite fun. It's a freaking blast.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Game's a blast. Hit level 48 in MP last night. Having a ton of fun playing with all the new guys XD The VS Rifle is badass.

Beat it on my own on easy, sometimes using this when I got lost http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/lost-planet-2/lost-planet-2-complete-walkthrough-game-guide/

Playing it on your own I can see why anyone would want to return it. This game is a great example about the strengths and glaring weaknesses of JP development. I'm going to hang on to it for now and try out the co-op and multiplayer, I can see how co-op could be awesome but this game on your own can be such a fucking slog sometimes. Also, I got the achievement for beating each chapter but not the game, wtf.

Beaulieu

Corky you are writing all this stuff and all I can read is "waaaah-waaaah, I bought a game designed for 4 players, try to play it by myself, and I cannot do it, waaaaah-waaaaah" which is pretty much the same thing that all the bad reviews state.

I have an idea for your next game ; you should try to do all the end-game dungeons in WoW by youself !

Phloxy

more like he is a bad player, I beat the entire game by myself with a.i and did the train level by myself. Just bad players whining about how the game doesn't hold their hand.

Corky

Beaulieu said:
Corky you are writing all this stuff and all I can read is "waaaah-waaaah, I bought a game designed for 4 players, try to play it by myself, and I cannot do it, waaaaah-waaaaah" which is pretty much the same thing that all the bad reviews state.

I have an idea for your next game ; you should try to do all the end-game dungeons in WoW by youself !

Hmm...
Which moronic point should I adress first.

Welp, here goes

1. This game may or may not be designed as a 4-player game that doesnt mean I shouldnt be able to play it alone. Make it a requirement then.

2. Doing the endgame dungeons in wow alone is an awesome analogy. Btw, I know this wasnt your point but, my guild was one of the first guilds in europe to down ragnaros. Before they nerfed him to oblivion.

" more like he is a bad player, I beat the entire game by myself with a.i and did the train level by myself. Just bad players whining about how the game doesn't hold their hand."

I read that bolded part with a lispy, nerdy sounding voice. made me smile. I dont really have any gaming "accomplishments".

But beating battle toads, demon souls, the ghost n goblins on psp and many more games along those lines, and during a point being ranked top 30 on the NGB on the xbox. If anything I consider myself good at videogames, especially tough ones. Which I love. Lp2 isnt tough its broken so stop trying to defend broken design with your own sense of whos bad or good at games ( yeah yea I cringe at the thought of that constituting something " positive ")

Corky

zewone said:
lol @ corky.

lrn2play

why arent you banned yet ? :(
If anything, these densely attributing replies of yours shoudlve taken care of that long time ago.

also, u r right, LOL"! ^__________^

Corky - is your frustration of the game from the SP mode without playing with other peeps?

I hated Borderlands until I played it with some friends, then it became the awesomest game ever.

I would think this game would have an even more drastic effect if played solo vs multiplayer.

somesplace

Neo Member
Coxswain said:

The western tendency (at least/especially in first and third-person shooters) is that animations are basically a fancy graphical effect. They're there to make the game look and move better, and that's it; the biggest consideration to gameplay is that they tend to be distinctive so a player can immediately discern what an enemy is doing, and an innovation is considered something like using a new physics engine to make them look better.
In Japanese games, specifically, Capcom games, animations are almost invariably one of the most central mechanics to the game. They build in opportunity cost to each action, each one tends to have very distinct, specific mechanical properties (commonly invincibility frames), and generally tend to affect gameplay much more deeply than, say, whether your gun is full automatic or burst fire.
Resident Evil does this, Monster Hunter does this, Devil May Cry and Megaman do it; Street Fighter is nothing but a game about the properties of various animations. It's not surprising or unexpected to a Capcom fan that it would be a central part of Lost Planet, but if you're only accustomed to Halo and Call of Duty, having animations suddenly go from affecting almost literally nothing, to being more important than which gun you're fighting with, could definitely feel a bit arbitrary and confusing.

Excellent post!

Llyranor

Corky said:
Corky said:
Even with all the above I still love the shit out of the game, I love it I love it I LOVE IT....
Corky said:
dont buy this game if :
c) again, play games for fun
Corky said:
xD,

edit: just dont go into the game thinking you'll have fun :p. Hate to say I told you so
We get it, you hate 3-3, but this is is even more inconsistent than my 5/10 review.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Coxswain said:

Lost Planet, and even LP2 is really the Street Fighter of online shooters. Really high barrier of entry, but once you understand of the games limits and smaller features (invincible roll/splash damage...etc) it's really rewarding. It also helps the game is damn near amazing looking graphically/design wise. I seriously don't understand the 'lethargic movements' comment to the original LP game. You look, seriously, badass in LP2.

I think Capcom knew 3-3 was awesome. There's a custom character title called "Red Eye Slayer".

If you're having problems with 3-3 here's some advice:

SP: If you're solo you really don't even have to use the railgun. Keep firing the turrets from the cooling chamber so that you can cool the tank easily. When the Red Eye is making its final chomp, turn the cooling chamber turret towards the back to fire into the side of his mouth.

CO-OP: All it takes is two people. One person can keep cooling and firing from the inside, while another keeps loading bullets into the railgun and firing. Upon final chomp, one more blast into that Muther and he's toast. An AI soldier even kept loading bullets into the railgun non-stop.

geebee

Banned
Beat 3-3 on my second try with one other person.. I had no idea what I was doing, but I made sure to keep cooling and firing while the other player was flying in a helicopter firing, and the AI characters loaded shells.

Worked out pretty well.. unless we got lucky.

robot

played some 3 player co-op last night and it was god damn awesome. repairing eachothers mechs, shooting orange goo at eachother, ripping guns off of mechs and creeping behind your teammate holding a giant ass shield...so many great moments packed in a 2 hour session last night. it's a lot like playing PSO or Borderlands solo - you can, but why would you? there are a million other games for that.

it's one of those games that either you get it, or you don't. the 1up review gets it - i'd suggest watching the video review if your on the fence.

Dizzle24

Whipped Spartan said:
How do you use other capcom characters in game?

also this game is awsome don't beilive the hype.:D

Finish the SP campaign and you can use extra characters. I believe this is also true for your customized MP character as well.

Oh, and I am having really really really shitty connection issues while playing this online. I don't understand because I've played a fair share of MP games recently and none have been as bad as this. The lag is getting to be ridiculous.

Fun game so far!

robot

i unlocked Wesker and Frank West for having save files - the character skins are in the left "Presets" menu rather than the right side individual parts skins. Oh and for those who dont know - pressing Y in that menu will open the slot machine game to unlock shit.

Top Bottom