• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Coxswain

Ugh, they reeeeeallly fucked up the multiplayer in this one :(
The overall 'feel' of it is fine, and most of the maps aren't horrible like the demo was, but the lameass voting on weapon types completely ruins the game. Lost Planet is an excellent multiplayer game on pretty much any game with Machine Gun starts, and miserable, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty-quality shit with any other weapon (well, maybe Pistol/Revolver every now and again for novelty's sake). In LP1 though, you could filter your game search by weapon type, and/or just not join the shitty Rifle/Rocket Launcher games. Here you can only vote once you've already joined the lobby, so there's no way whatsoever to be sure you're avoiding that shit until the match starts - and you can't quit out of a game without going to the dashboard. Four of the last five games I've started have been shitty Long Range starts. I guess I'm just going to get used to 70%+ DNF.

Anyone know offhand what the penalty for having a high DNF rate is? I saw something about penalizing you for being over 30%, but I don't think I really care.

-PXG- said:
My concern getting the PS3 version was the frame rate. Frame rate is much better than LP1 PS3. Nice and smooth. Some jaggies here and there, but whatever. Controls are superb.

Yeah, I watched the IGN comparison video and found no difference between the two version.

I'm having second thoughts about no getting this game. How hard is it to jump into a co-op game, given that there's no drop in and out?

Seventy5

I picked this up on PS3 a couple hours ago and I'm loving it. It gives me a Monster Hunter with guns vibe, and that works since I don't have a Wii. So far I played about an hour of the campaign solo and an hour of co-op with my stepson. I admit that I didn't get into the co-op demo much because it was fairly confusing, but now that I understand the mechanics it's pretty badass.

My PSN ID is the same as my gaf tag, so add me if you want to do some co-op....or some Uncharted 2 :D

Brannon

Xamdou said:
Odd roughly 2 more gigs more install with the 360 version... what could this possibly mean?

360 install method installs the entire game to the hard drive, only using the disk for verification purposes, while the PS3 version only installs some of them to help expediate load times.

Well, at least I think that's the case.

Sectus

Coxswain said:
The overall 'feel' of it is fine, and most of the maps aren't horrible like the demo was, but the lameass voting on weapon types completely ruins the game. Lost Planet is an excellent multiplayer game on pretty much any game with Machine Gun starts, and miserable, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty-quality shit with any other weapon (well, maybe Pistol/Revolver every now and again for novelty's sake). In LP1 though, you could filter your game search by weapon type, and/or just not join the shitty Rifle/Rocket Launcher games. Here you can only vote once you've already joined the lobby, so there's no way whatsoever to be sure you're avoiding that shit until the match starts - and you can't quit out of a game without going to the dashboard. Four of the last five games I've started have been shitty Long Range starts. I guess I'm just going to get used to 70%+ DNF.

Anyone know offhand what the penalty for having a high DNF rate is? I saw something about penalizing you for being over 30%, but I don't think I really care.
Just play player matches instead? I'm pretty sure you can choose everything there.

According to someone raging on Capcom forums you stop gaining career points if your DNF is too high.

demonkaze

Got this today and put into around an hour on split-screen co-op with my brother. I love this game, although i must say I really hate the way the split-screen is done which seems like even less screen than Resi 5.

The OP alone convinced me to buy this game. That and my Capcom-obsessed friend who bought the game months ago on pre-order.

Are the pre-order bonuses any good?

Edit: N/M: just bought the game, the gamestop guys wouldn't give me the pre-order card....

Xamdou

Major Williams said:
The OP alone convinced me to buy this game. That and my Capcom-obsessed friend who bought the game months ago on pre-order.

Are the pre-order bonuses any good?

Edit: N/M: just bought the game, the gamestop guys wouldn't give me the pre-order card....

Code to dl the two maps is on the receipt if you pre-ordered from GS.

OCDBuzz

Yes everyone should be playing Player Matches especially since you can't play with friends or party up in Ranked.

LP1 had the same play with friends issues. It's pretty disgusting that in 3+ years Capcom hasn't been paying attention to how you're supposed to do matchmaking.

Lucentto

Banned
Coxswain said:

I have the same complaints. I expect a lot of people to move over to player matches since they fucked up Ranked.

Caddle

Here is my opinion after playing the game for about 10 hours online in campaign mode. The graphics in this game is gorgeous. The jungle level was astounding to behold, with trees swaying in the wind, and moving when explosion go off near by. I am playing on a 50 inch plasma and not a jagged edge in sight, along with such a smooth frame rate with all the explosion going on, and 4 players. Those complaining about the control, I just don't get it. It plays like gears of war as far as the controls are concerned. Finally a japanese company that get online play right. At no time while playing did I have any lag issues, of course this was for campaign mode so my opinion might change later. Last the bosses, oh my god.

Kaldea

I didn't get a code either but they told me to come back tomorrow because they wouldn't print out or something. :/

Anyway, I'm loving this game so far. I was scared with all the hate for it, but I really can't complain yet. I'm playing single player and I'll move onto co-op tonight.

Llyranor

(Disclaimer: I am a huge Lost Planet fan. It is one of my favorite singleplayer console games. I love the controls, the technicality, the level design, the bosses, the difficulty, the sense of urgency from the rapidly decreasing T-Eng. I also love co-op. It is always my favorite feature in any game that includes it. For me, Lost Planet + co-op was a winning combination.)

Okay, finally got the game today. 2p online with a buddy, no AI (so can't comment on that), hard diff. Since I have not played it in singleplayer, I cannot comment on that aspect. Played a 6-7 hr marathon (I'd play more, but work tomorrow and all that). Finished the first 2 episodes in that time.

And it is glorious. This retains pretty much all that was good about Lost Planet (the controls and basic gameplay being mostly unchanged was essential to this being a worthy sequel for me - the last thing LP2 needs is to make 'improvements' by simply making it more similar to every other shooter out there. It retains its uniqueness, and fans of LP1 will really appreciate that. If you hated LP1, I don't see how you'd see this differently.

Now, what it adds:
- The online co-op is fantastic. So much fun. We've had some really cool and challenging battles. The encounters so far have been pretty nice, whether infiltrating a base against human enemies, or fending off multiple large Akrid, dueling a squad of enemy VS'es, or hunting down a gigantic Cat-G Akrid. I'm also quite liking the level design so far. It's not vastly open, but there are usually some good alternate paths you can take to flank the enemy from various directions (works especially well in co-op).
- All the various small gameplay additions are very nice. Repairing VS'es, being able to hang onto the side of an allied VS, how healing isn't automatic, being able to shoot T-Eng at allies to heal them. Good stuff.
- On top of T-Eng (which you use to replenish your health), there is also a battle gauge which increases by 500 each time you activate a datapost. Goes down by 500 when you die or when you get a VS destroyed. You can respawn at datapost, but have to restart the entire level (3 levels per episode, each of which consist of multiple missions). Because you have to restart the entire level (or whatever it's actually called), you might have to redo some of the other missions before it. I can see how it can annoy other people, but it's extra incentive/pressure for us to not get wiped out. We've died a few times so far.
- There's some extra character customization as well. You earn new ones via some slotmachine thing, very random. It can be as useless as emotes (some drunken moves, or being a giddy schoolgirl) and titles ('I've covered wars', Princess, Least Valuable Player), but you also get new weapons (haven't unlocked any myself, but they replace some of the default ones, eg. handcannon instead of rocket launcher) and new abilities.
- New abilities: One of my disappointments when LP2 was initially announced was that T-Eng wouldn't be continuously decreasing throughout the game. I loved that feature in the first game, but tolerated the change because it was co-op (other players not managing their T-Eng properly could potentially get annoying). First off, it's pretty well-balanced in LP2, because healing costs you a whole lot of T-Eng, and getting hit will drain it very fast. Now, LP2 gives you character abilities which you can change around. The two default ones are 1) prevent your T-Eng from decreasing constantly, and 2) prevent your health from decreasing constantly when your T-Eng is zero. As soon as you gain new abilities and replace those, you can pretty much have the settings as they were in LP1, though it doesn't seem to decrease as fast. The new abilities can be pretty cool, from evasion (longer invincibility frame when rolling, but take more damage if actually hit while trying to roll), VS master (repairing and controlling a VS drains less T-Eng), or Recover (get more health back when using the harmonizer).

There are some potential negatives:
- (360 version, installed) framerate may have dipped a little occasionally when tons was happening on screen. I can only think of one specific instance where I overtly noticed it. It has pretty much been a non-issue for me so far.
- It might be bad in singleplayer or with AI, I don't know. In 2p, we haven't needed AI, and I haven't encountered any scenario where I feel 1p would have been impossible/overly frustrating (but, again, only first 2 eps so far).
- You can't join mid-session, and you can't join others if you haven't unlocked the mission yet. This is also a non-issue for me, since I always play through the whole campaign in full co-op with the same people.

Overall, I'm absolutely loving the game so far. It has pretty much met or exceeded all my expectations as both a Lost Planet and a co-op fan. If you are a Lost Planet and co-op fan, I give my highest possible recommendations for this game. Unless things changed drastically for the worse, this will be very very strong GOTY contender for me.

I give the game a 5/10 so far. 6/10 if the ending gets better.

Llyranor said:
Unless things changed drastically for the worse, this will be very very strong GOTY contender for me.

So what other games are on your GOTY contender list? Dark void?

Burli

Pringo
Llyranor said:
...And it is glorious...The online co-op is fantastic. So much fun....Unless things changed drastically for the worse, this will be very very strong GOTY contender for me.

Okay...

Just finished to about the middle of Episode 6. Again, in Episode 5 was surprised at all the action they throw in this game.

It seems like the dev team brainstormed the largest scale battles ever and made it happen. And it's not always Akrids which is a nice change of pace. 5-3 is a multi-parter like the train level - so if you like some difficulty - this has it.

Saw one glitch with the movement of a VS in Episode 6, but the framerate held pretty steady just as in the first half of the game.

Played online co-op and still didn't hit any snags yet.

-PXG-

Xamdou said:
Odd roughly 2 more gigs more install with the 360 version... what could this possibly mean?
360 installs the entire image on the HDD. PS3, only "crucial/ essential" data. That's my guess.

bought and played the 360 version, online, campaign and multiplayer.

people still don't get it, do they? :lol

This game is fucking awesome. framerate is rock solid, it looks amazing, and the new bosses and co-op scoring system are alot of fun.

I can already see plenty of replay value with the S ranks. Capcom knows how to make a nice looking screen for hardcore people.

more proof that most people reviewing games can't accept a different control scheme or something that requires timed ROLLS (REALLY? you still haven't learned what a fucking invincibility frame is?)

I've noticed a few things that have happened that seemed oddly cheap, but it's too early to tell. the first thing i try to do when i play a game is immediately hate it. 95% of the time, I do.

this is proper capcom goodness, as it should be. more proof people can't play ANYTHING other then call of duty and feel satisfied anymore. it's fucking pathetic.

DonMigs85

I enjoyed the demo before, but then I started thinking: it was mostly just getting from point A to B in a pretty linear fashion while blasting away at monsters and activating checkpoints, and could get pretty repetitive if most of the game was basically just that. The salamander boss was impressive but the battle could really drag on, especially in single player.
I might play co-op from time to time but mostly be in single player. Is this game still really recommendable?

Sectus

DonMigs85 said:
I enjoyed the demo before, but then I started thinking: it was mostly just getting from point A to B in a pretty linear fashion while blasting away at monsters and activating checkpoints, and could get pretty repetitive if most of the game was basically just that. The salamander boss was impressive but the battle could really drag on, especially in single player.
I might play co-op from time to time but mostly be in single player. Is this game still really recommendable?
If you narrow it down like that, then almost every shooter is 5 times as repetitive as this.

You don't only go from A to B. You've got objectives like defend areas, activate data posts and some other stuff. And many of the levels are very open.

I had fun playing this game in singleplayer, but it really REALLY is much much more fun when playing coop with friends.

Sectus said:
If you narrow it down like that, then almost every shooter is 5 times as repetitive as this.

You don't only go from A to B. You've got objectives like defend areas, activate data posts and some other stuff. And many of the levels are very open.

I had fun playing this game in singleplayer, but it really REALLY is much much more fun when playing coop with friends.

You gonna pick up the PC version when it's out?

sarcastor

6 hours into the single player game, i can 100% say that who ever was in charge of the level designs should be shot. it's a fucking exercise in frustration and anger management.

half the time i have no idea what to do, and by the time you figure it out, you pretty much almost all your lives. seriously, the level where
you're on train trying to operate a giant fricking cannon on top of a train by running back and forth, arming it, putting out fires, while your AI partners sit there and do absolutely nothing, FUCKING SUCKS. .
How about some basic instructions here Capcom?

also the jerky ass animation is back. every time you grapple something and land, there's a 1-2 second pause. knock down to the ground by an explosion? 1-2 second pause. shit, there's even a pause after you melee someone. WTF? this is worse then resident evil 5.

I remember playing the first lost planet, yelling at my tv the first 5-6 hours at how badly the game was designed and after getting raped by one of the boss monsters for the 15th time, i just gave up. Lost Planet 2 is just as surprisingly frustrating. I'm gonna have to agree with the IGN review, especially this part
Just do yourself a favor: buy some insurance for the controller you'll invariably throw across the room at one of Lost Planet 2's seemingly endless design and interface issues.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Add another voice of dissent to how badly they fucked up the ranked match shit.

Sniper match after sniper match after sniper match... what a crock of shit. I wouldn't mind but as soon as someone gets to the big VS it's fucking over because hey guess what? Sniper rifles are shit at taking down VS's >_<

Lucentto

Banned
McBradders said:
Add another voice of dissent to how badly they fucked up the ranked match shit.

Sniper match after sniper match after sniper match... what a crock of shit. I wouldn't mind but as soon as someone gets to the big VS it's fucking over because hey guess what? Sniper rifles are shit at taking down VS's >_<
This is one of the reasons why I basically moved to player matches. You can still level up in player, the only difference is that in ranked it shows up on the leaderboards.

Llyranor said:
I'm not a professional game journalist, I just put some random numbers at the end of my impressions.

So you reviewed Alan Wake for Eurogamer, I see.

Edit: Damn your impressions, I was sure getting BC2 for my online fix this summer, but LP2 looks more and more tempting...

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Lucentto said:
This is one of the reasons why I basically moved to player matches. You can still level up in player, the only difference is that in ranked it shows up on the leaderboards.

That's rad, thanks. Somehow I skipped all the "move to player matches" posts in my urge to keyboard rage :)

Feindflug

Sectus said:
Storyline might be awful overall, but this feature makes it pretty much the best storyline in gaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyh0f4j265Y

WTF? :lol :lol :lol

BTW guys anyone checked if the game has the MT Framework bug on the 360 version that causes constant tearing when the 360 is set at 1080p? Yesterday I installed the game but I didn't check it out - got hooked to the digital crack that's called Reach beta. :p

Lucentto said:

That means that you can also unlock multiplayer achievements (if there are any) by playing Player matches?

Lucentto said:
Really? Awesome
Got my brother and I think his mate to alteast rent this so online cop tonight will be fun!

Also Am I being dumb but did they remove the lobby select feature that was in the demo or is it only random when in ranked?

Sectus

sarcastor said:
6 hours into the single player game, i can 100% say that who ever was in charge of the level designs should be shot. it's a fucking exercise in frustration and anger management.

half the time i have no idea what to do, and by the time you figure it out, you pretty much almost all your lives. seriously, the level where
you're on train trying to operate a giant fricking cannon on top of a train by running back and forth, arming it, putting out fires, while your AI partners sit there and do absolutely nothing, FUCKING SUCKS. .
That AI is loading the gun and attacking smaller akrid, they're not sitting idle.

I really wish the map for that level was explained better, but the complaints for it is insanely exaggerated. I had to restart that level once, mainly because I was confused what was going on. Once I learned the basics for using the gun and repairing the train, it all made sense and doing the level was actually pretty exciting.

The only thing I really really dislike about the train levels is how easily you can get knocked off and instakilled. But well, as long as you advance carefully through the train that's not a problem.

Also, you really should play it coop. I've had fun playing it in singleplayer, but it's seriously MUCH more fun in coop. Even when playing with strangers.

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU SKIP THE LONG AND BORING CUTSCENES....
Seriously Capcom... WTF?

Twice now i've waited for the lobby to fill up and by the time the game actually fucking starts everyone has fucking quit.... which means you go back, wait again and then watch the whole fucking thing again.

I hate you fucking quitters. Fuck you.

Other than that though... i'm really enjoying this... when you get a team up and get into the swing of it, it's great fun.

Playing the PS3 version and haven't encountered the performance issues mentioned by IGN. At all. Seriously not a hitch... guess it must be later in the game? Or overstated? Bit weird if this had major issues after RE5 ran very well on PS3.

If they patched this to allow you to quit the cutscenes... and drop back to the lobby for people to join (like RE 5, but of course drop in / drop out would be better) then i would have no complaints at all.

It looks gorgeous, sounds great and is really fun - provided your team sticks to the objectives and communicates. Like the first game it reminds me of a 16bit shooter in 3D, you shoot, it's pretty, boss comes along, is massive, dies in a hail of bullets... rinse and repeat.

Having said that, i can totally see why if you played it alone it would be a miserable experience. But then, it is pitched as a co op game... so... doh?

Some of the reviews seem a bit too harsh...? This is no game of the year... but it's not terrible by any means.

Sectus

Feindflug said:
WTF? :lol :lol :lol

BTW guys anyone checked if the game has the MT Framework bug on the 360 version that causes constant tearing when the 360 is set at 1080p? Yesterday I installed the game but I didn't check it out - got hooked to the digital crack that's called Reach beta. :p
I get some tearing when playing in 720p mode, but that might be due to how I'm playing with a VGA cable.

Feindflug said:
That means that you can also unlock multiplayer achievements (if there are any) by playing Player matches?
None of the multiplayer achievements specifically say "ranked" so I assume so. If you haven't played multiplayer yet, you can make sure to play player match first. To see if you get the "play one online match" achievement in player match.

Johnlenham said:
Really? Awesome
Got my brother and I think his mate to alteast rent this so online cop tonight will be fun!

Also Am I being dumb but did they remove the lobby select feature that was in the demo or is it only random when in ranked?
That's still in player match. Only ranked is random. There's also several modes you'll never see in ranked (fugitive, akrid egg battle).

NinjaFusion said:

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU SKIP THE LONG AND BORING CUTSCENES....
Seriously Capcom... WTF?
You can skip them. I can't remember the button, it's either start or B/circle,

Relaxed Muscle said:
Edit: Damn your impressions, I was sure getting BC2 for my online fix this summer, but LP2 looks more and more tempting...

If you can enjoy the quirks of the Lost Planet combat/movement model, I think you'd be able to really revel in the intricate online play. I've said it before, but I do think it's the most unique of all the shooters, especially this gen.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
NinjaFusion said:
last night i sat pressing every button and nothing happened... in co op does everyone have to press it?

If it's like RE5, then yes, everyone has to press it.

Top Bottom