• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Pylon_Trooper said:
Good work, men! I've updated the OP with the first round of reviews. I think we all expected as such, but even Eurogamer's 6/10 isn't at all a bad score, given the review.

Complaints seem valid, but some I'm wondering if some of the Lost Planet DNA is being mistaken as a malady.

Did it have the same save/checkpoint style? I can't remember. That was the most offputting thing about the game in the review.

V_Ben

Banned
Didn't see it posted, and it was obvious it was coming, but now it's official;

MEDIA ALERT
Lost Planet 2
Rathalos Armour on its way!

A few weeks ago it was announced in Japan that a Monster Hunter skin for Lost Planet 2 would be included as one of the game’s many ways to customise your characters. A PlayStation 3 exclusive and originally only planned for the Japanese release, we are pleased to confirm that the Rathalos Armour will now also be available to western gamers as a free download. This PlayStation 3 exclusive is scheduled to go live on PSN in late May.

Lost Planet 2 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will release across Europe and North America on May 11th.

PS3 Exclusive MH Skin is now for all regions. Enjoy. :D

6/10 from IGN via Arthur Gies

Lost Planet 2 plays like it was never put in front of a member of its intended audience at some point during its development, someone who might have asked "why?": "Why can't I pause the game unless I make my game unjoinable?" "Why can't I join a co-op game in progress?" "Why can this monster kill me in two hits?" A little "why?" may have taken this game in a different, more compelling direction. If you've burned through other multiplayer or co-op options, then there might be something for you in Lost Planet 2. The single player campaign is lengthy at around 14 hours with full co-op support and the multiplayer has plenty of maps and modes. Just do yourself a favor: buy some insurance for the controller you'll invariably throw across the room at one of Lost Planet 2's seemingly endless design and interface issues.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088076p1.html

owch :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The demos were hellaweak. I don't understand hey capcom's games all have funky control schemes.

"Why can't I pause the game unless I make my game unjoinable?"

That's obvious though.

Jack Random said:

Lost Planet 2 plays like it was never put in front of a member of its intended audience at some point during its development, someone who might have asked "why?": "Why can't I pause the game unless I make my game unjoinable?" "Why can't I join a co-op game in progress?" "Why can this monster kill me in two hits?" A little "why?" may have taken this game in a different, more compelling direction. If you've burned through other multiplayer or co-op options, then there might be something for you in Lost Planet 2. The single player campaign is lengthy at around 14 hours with full co-op support and the multiplayer has plenty of maps and modes. Just do yourself a favor: buy some insurance for the controller you'll invariably throw across the room at one of Lost Planet 2's seemingly endless design and interface issues.

I listen to RebelFM quite often and to be fair, it never struck me or sound like something that Arthur would be crazy about. None of them really when they talk about it.

mescalineeyes said:
bummed out about the reviews, as the game sure LOOKS fantastic in terms of both art direction and variety.

dude, don't be bummed out. Lost Planet:Extreme Conditions/Colonies didn't review well either when they were released. But when it came to the actual audience, well the games found one and they love it for what it is :D
LP2 is to me, just more of expanding on what that audience wants ...which really is typical Capcom at this point, no matter how hard they try

Y2Kev said:
That's obvious though.

The complaint might be more along the lines of the user interface though. That is, do you have to change this setting every time you start playing, every time you start a new game, or is there a general setting you can make in the Options screen that turns off co-op joining all the time until you change it back?

If it's a one-time setting, I don't get his complaint. I don't play a lot of online co-op games though, so I'm unaware if some of them actually let you pause the game even while someone else has joined you.

mescalineeyes said:
bummed out about the reviews, as the game sure LOOKS fantastic in terms of both art direction and variety.
Not every reviewer out there understands the LP way of things, but it does sound like a disappointment with the AI and single player stuff, long as there is plenty to do online all should be just as good as colonies.

Y2Kev said:
The demos were hellaweak. I don't understand hey capcom's games all have funky control schemes.

Japanese people don't know how to play shooters. The reason they're good at this is because it's designed like a Japanese game with hitstun, invincibility frames and weird stuff like that instead of flexibility.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
After reading those reviews I went from "definitely buying it" to "not interested". They explained one scenario in the IGN UK review and it sounded really frustrating. It especially sounds like it's useless as a SP experience, which is what I play most.

It's not the score, the review itself is what's made me decide not to get it... Shame, it looks so beautiful. I think it might find an MP crowd as that still looks interesting and they (IGN) didn't talk much about competitive MP's flaws.

Sectus

To be fair, some of the reviews so far is a bit moronic. Eurogamer review obviously comes from a guy who played through the game singleplayer, which is silly for a game designed for coop. IGN review is just weird overall, it has many complaints without actually explaining itself (how is the online play "dated"? Is it dated because it's actually using a competent netcode unlike most other games?), and it has some complaints which makes no sense. Like how the button B is used for different things. Apparently Arthur isn't too keen on games with different controls.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Vinterbird said:
Yay, embargo is up. My thoughts:
- Singleplayer is shit, and infuriatingly bad designed when you're alone and you can't pause the game when you play alone.
- Co-op is amazing, the third chapter is the pinnacle of co-op design
- Multiplayer is a love/hate thing
- Insanely narrow play areas from time to time
- Why the fuck does this game have QTE's. They throw them in three times during the game, and they don't add anything to the experience of the cutscene.
- Some of the VS's control really strange, especially ones introduced in the final hours of the game
- The final boss is nothing short of stupid
- The game never tells you, what exactly you need to do and sometimes I completed a goal without knowing how.
- I love the shotgun, loooove it.
- There's a nightvision option, but you never use it

Jack Random said:

well the demos were bad , I loved Lost Planet 1 but hated the demos , oh well :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Y2Kev said:
That's obvious though.

Maybe for you and me, but: For the majority of people, no, no it isn't. If you start a game BY yourself: You should be able to pause the game. Same thing for Demon's Souls: But Demon's Souls has a fallback on "if you're playing online it would be hard to pause the singleplayer game when someone can invade/send messages on the ground to you during that pause."

Sectus said:
To be fair, some of the reviews so far is a bit moronic. Eurogamer review obviously comes from a guy who played through the game singleplayer, which is silly for a game designed for coop.

It's a valid criticism if the game is crap in single-player. For that reason alone, I'm out. :p

Sectus

Dr Zhivago said:
It's a valid criticism if the game is crap in single-player. For that reason alone, I'm out. :p
Even so, it's not the right way to review the game. It's like reviewing Left 4 Dead purely from a singleplayer standpoint.

Yeah, I've gone ahead and canceled my Amazon preorder. I think I'll wait for the bargain bin after all of these niggling issues have been made apparent. Too many other games coming out in this timeframe.

Zozobra

I woke up this morning as a day-one purchaser of this game, especially with the Wal-Mart sale here in Canada. Now I don't know if I'd even rent it. Sad.

Sectus said:
To be fair, some of the reviews so far is a bit moronic. Eurogamer review obviously comes from a guy who played through the game singleplayer, which is silly for a game designed for coop.

Without pointing any fingers (there really aren't any to point) games that stress multiplayer-only are a bitch to review. Some people have different code, some can't get online, sometimes XBL servers crash for test systems... I've also had to play a lot of the game single player only (but also have my fair share of co-op in there as well) and considering it's an option for players (you can even turn bots entirely off, playing the game just solo in offiline mode) it's worth looking at.

Not out to defend/attack anybody. Just keep in mind that for games like this reviewing isn't done under 100% ideal conditions. That's why guys like Infinity Ward host entire days of nothing but multiplayer gaming for review events.

Canova

Banned
V_Ben said:
Didn't see it posted, and it was obvious it was coming, but now it's official;

PS3 Exclusive MH Skin is now for all regions. Enjoy. :D

FUCK YES!! FUCK YES!!!

I finally get a Rathalos Armor!! something I've never been able to achieve in MH

jett

D-Member
LP1 was mediocre at best and the demo for this thing was garbage. I'm not surprised at all at those scores. I have absolutely no clue what people see in this series.

jett said:
LP1 was mediocre at best and the demo for this thing was garbage. I'm not surprised at all at those scores. I have absolutely no clue what people see in this series.
I played the coop demo for this a few nights ago with some friends, had a damn good time, but im not sure it would sustain for $60 worth.

also, was there ever a resolution to that rumor about not being able to run coop until you complete something in single?

Fireflu

Cant wait for this game, reviews are meaningless to me when i enjoyed the demos so much. All haters can swivel.

Lucentto

Banned
LP1 was one of my most favorite multiplayer games, however i'm most likely not going to get this one. Most of the things I hated in the first weren't fixed or seems even worse judging by the demo. If I do decide to buy it, it won't be day one.

IGN Review said:
There's also no jump-in co-op, as new players will be forced to wait in a lobby until the other players in the game reach the next mission in a chapter before they can join the session.

2ed8s2r.gif

God's Beard said:
Japanese people don't know how to play shooters. The reason they're good at this is because it's designed like a Japanese game with hitstun, invincibility frames and weird stuff like that instead of flexibility.

I didn't know shooters could only come from one stable of design, Mr. Beard! You've enlightened me like any attachment to a celestial being should. I personally think there's a lot more flexibility in Lost Planet than a lot of people give it credit for.

jett said:

Interesting weapons? Unique feel? Mechs? Satisfying multiplayer? Awesome boss battles? Giant freakin bugs?

Nope, nothing to this series at all...

Kuran

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
IGN review summary
Those are the reasons why it scored 6/10? I am sure they did not raise those concerns with MH Tri, which is esentially the same design.

I rate IGN a 6/10

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Meh, it's annoying to hear reviewers complain about a Japanese game playing more like an eastern game, than a western one.

I don't play Lost Planet because I want another Gears or Halo, I play LP because I want something vastly different.

Robust Character customization, and a lengthly story full of awesome fights to play through with a selection of friends. Seems like an Amped-up PSO with more modern combat mechanics!

With it's invincibility frames, massive hitstun, and controls that need to be learned in order to use them at their peak, I think of LP as a modern day Coin-Op style game. It connects with me BECAUSE of it's classic ideals. It fulfills a niche that most other games (especially full retail ones) don't share anymore.

As a Monster Hunter and LP fan, I look forward to being able to play these games back-to-back with my brother, thanks to splitscreen. I appreciate the idea that my Online mode and Offline characters will share everything, too, and I prefer this to having a central story character. Customization is always something I look for in games.

It's really just so annoying seeing people getting turned from a game because reviewers approach the games in awkward, ill-concieved ways... And I hate it when they hold things against japanese games, that'd they barely even care about if it were a western release... just so predictable...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheSeks said:
Maybe for you and me, but: For the majority of people, no, no it isn't. If you start a game BY yourself: You should be able to pause the game. Same thing for Demon's Souls: But Demon's Souls has a fallback on "if you're playing online it would be hard to pause the singleplayer game when someone can invade/send messages on the ground to you during that pause."
Isn't that what this is? Unless you set it so that other players cannot join you, other people might join and therefore you can't pause. That makes sense I think.

edit: No jump-in coop, capcom :lol

SAB CA said:
Meh, it's annoying to hear reviewers complain about a Japanese game playing more like an eastern game, than a western one.

I don't play Lost Planet because I want another Gears or Halo, I play LP because I want something vastly different.

I think of LP as a modern day Coin-Op style game. It connects with me BECAUSE of it's classic ideals.

This right here encapsulates my thoughts perfectly!

SAB CA said:

Robust Character customization, and a lengthly story full of awesome fights to play through with a selection of friends. Seems like an Amped-up PSO with more modern combat mechanics!

With it's invincibility frames, massive hitstun, and controls that need to be learned in order to use them at their peak, I think of LP as a modern day Coin-Op style game. It connects with me BECAUSE of it's classic ideals. It fulfills a niche that most other games (especially full retail ones) don't share anymore.

As a Monster Hunter and LP fan, I look forward to being able to play these games back-to-back with my brother, thanks to splitscreen. I appreciate the idea that my Online mode and Offline characters will share everything, too, and I prefer this to having a central story character. Customization is always something I look for in games.

It's really just so annoying seeing people getting turned from a game because reviewers approach the games in awkward, ill-concieved ways... And I hate it when they hold things against japanese games, that'd they barely even care about if it were a western release... just so predictable...

thats some weird ass damage control just because its developed in Japan we should not expect jump in jump out co-op and other perks?

AgentOtaku said:
dude, don't be bummed out. Lost Planet:Extreme Conditions/Colonies didn't review well either when they were released. But when it came to the actual audience, well the games found one and they love it for what it is :D
LP2 is to me, just more of expanding on what that audience wants ...which really is typical Capcom at this point, no matter how hard they try

word. picking this up day one.

(ololol it's 30 pounds on amazon.co.uk that's like half price of a regular game here in europe. bought.)

So does anyone know if the save/checkpoint system is the same as in LP1? That was the most unnerving thing in that Eurogamer review. I'd hate to play for an hour and then get knocked back that far when I die.

Anyone?

Top Bottom