• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Kabuki Waq said:
thats some weird ass damage control just because its developed in Japan we should not expect jump in jump out co-op and other perks?

You'll notice he mentioned nothing of jump in/out co-op. That's a bit of an oversight. And other things will no doubt arise as legitimate flaws.

It's more about the "feel" of the game then anything. Reviewers hating on the controls and nuances of the game because they don't match up to expectations. If the fundamental game mechanics and play style had been altered to bring it in line with popular western shooters, I for one would be a little disappointed.

Lost Planet is unique. Defending its right to be that way is not "damage control".

WaltJay

This one-line review is enough for me to play it and not be worried.

Official Xbox Magazine UK
Everything's improved except the controls. [May 2010, p.87]

Being a big fan of the first game, I'm not too worried about the reviews. I know what I like.

Poimandres said:
Lost Planet is unique. Defending its right to be that way is not "damage control".

Indeed. Lost Planet 2 won't be a perfect game, but the feel and nuance marches to the beat of its own drum. Wouldn't have it any other way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Poimandres said:
You'll notice he mentioned nothing of jump in/out co-op. That's a bit of an oversight. And other things will no doubt arise as legitimate flaws.

It's more about the "feel" of the game then anything. Reviewers hating on the controls and nuances of the game because they don't match up to expectations. If the fundamental game mechanics and play style had been altered to bring it in line with popular western shooters, I for one would be a little disappointed.

*nod* Exactly!

To add my own bit to the "Damage control" remark; Personally, drop-in is not even something I care much about. It is an oversight, surely, but there are so many other features that expand beyond what I expected when this game was first announced.

Examples: Getting to choose your own personal weapon payload in multiplayer, the level of customization and other capcom references in the outfits and all, splitscreen full story co-op, a ridiculous amount of customizable taunt and team animations, akrid/mech hybrid designs, powered armors that make me recall something like the hardsuits in Bubblegum Crisis, expanded classes for weapon and grenade types... And with all the recent "It's too hard to make women troops in modern day military games, it takes too much bandwidth!" I'm kinda suprised to see the amount of female character bodies (even if many are heavily fanservicey).

There's tradeoff in every game, where one thing is made better at the sake of others. Single player modes get shunned for multiplayer, or vice versa, character types are limited because of a need to share animation, etc.

From what I've seen so far, we've possibly sacrificed a main character and some strange, varied details (can't pause in a game that MAY get additional net-born players, oh no!), in order to get a game that has all of it's modes integrated under your playable character, and we've sacrificed drop in/out for a robust set of character customization features that outweigh most similiar games in the field, plus previously absent offline co-op.

It's a "why am I focusing on a few bad apples, when I'm in an orchid of lush apple trees?" type of deal, for me...

Llyranor

Lack of drop-in/out is too bad, but it's a complete non-issue for me since I only play full co-op.

And LP2 should relish in its series' uniqueness. I'd be pretty disappointed if the game just tried to become more like other shooters. I'm already let down by the lack of T-Eng (though I'm fine with it given the emphasis on co-op)!

Sectus

Bozon-IGN said:
Without pointing any fingers (there really aren't any to point) games that stress multiplayer-only are a bitch to review. Some people have different code, some can't get online, sometimes XBL servers crash for test systems... I've also had to play a lot of the game single player only (but also have my fair share of co-op in there as well) and considering it's an option for players (you can even turn bots entirely off, playing the game just solo in offiline mode) it's worth looking at.

Not out to defend/attack anybody. Just keep in mind that for games like this reviewing isn't done under 100% ideal conditions. That's why guys like Infinity Ward host entire days of nothing but multiplayer gaming for review events.
To be honest, that solution doesn't seem all that great either. The ideal situation should be something close to what a consumer does. The consumer doesn't get to go a fancy event where they meet the developers and play with them or fellow press people.

How most people would playing the coop in Lost Planet 2 is with their friends, and I imagine that's something every reviewer should be able to do. Even if the online servers are down, they can play splitscreen or system link.

BenjaminBirdie said:
So does anyone know if the save/checkpoint system is the same as in LP1? That was the most unnerving thing in that Eurogamer review. I'd hate to play for an hour and then get knocked back that far when I die.

Anyone?
I imagine the battle gauge system replaces checkpoints. If you die, you'll respawn at a data post with no lost progress. But if you die x amount of times, you probably have to redo the entire level.

Sectus said:
To be honest, that solution doesn't seem all that great either. The ideal situation should be something close to what a consumer does. The consumer doesn't get to go a fancy event where they meet the developers and play with them or fellow press people.

How most people would playing the coop in Lost Planet 2 is with their friends, and I imagine that's something every reviewer should be able to do. Even if the online servers are down, they can play splitscreen or system link.

I imagine the battle gauge system replaces checkpoints. If you die, you'll respawn at a data post with no lost progress. But if you die x amount of times, you probably have to redo the entire level.
Is that different from LP1? I can't remember.

Leckan

Anyone else feel like Lost Planet is a bit like a modern 3D take on the Contra series?

Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

MacBosse

jett said:
LP1 was mediocre at best and the demo for this thing was garbage. I'm not surprised at all at those scores. I have absolutely no clue what people see in this series.

Obviously.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pylon_Trooper said:
I didn't know shooters could only come from one stable of design, Mr. Beard! You've enlightened me like any attachment to a celestial being should. I personally think there's a lot more flexibility in Lost Planet than a lot of people give it credit for.

Which is...?

Rolling around while spamming grenades?

Note: I liked the first Lost Planet, but let's not gloss over it: The multiplayer was shit and not really deep since everyone and their mom used the grapple to speed around/get up somewhere. Then spam grenades. If they were being spammed at: roll.

Karram

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just got an email saying my UK copy has been dispatched :D Hopefully will have it by release day, play through the SP and then straight into MP! :D
Same here :D
EDIT: I got it from Zavvi

TheSeks said:
Which is...?

Rolling around while spamming grenades?

Note: I liked the first Lost Planet, but let's not gloss over it: The multiplayer was shit and not really deep since everyone and their mom used the grapple to speed around/get up somewhere. Then spam grenades. If they were being spammed at: roll.

You've done a wonderful job of simplifying things. Ten out of ten and a koala stamp for you.

I'd say the culmination of the grappling hook, the combination of grenade and machine gun, the great VS designs and their application all fold into a very open-ended and flexible combat experience. I can't understand how you'd pick out the use of the grappling hook as something that didn't contribute to a slightly deeper experience. It's like saying the jetpacks in Tribes didn't really affect the gameplay, perhaps even detracted from it!

I'm not saying Lost Planet's multiplayer is perfect, but it definitely stands a lot further from the pack than most TPSs and offers up a lot of interesting ideas.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just played this for two hours. Was kinda confused at first (where's the story mode?). I've never played the first game. Looks beautiful, but definitely have to get used to the gameplay. It's pretty messy too in the jungle. I really miss the ability to zoom in/ironsight with a weapon.

BenjaminBirdie said:
So does anyone know if the save/checkpoint system is the same as in LP1? That was the most unnerving thing in that Eurogamer review. I'd hate to play for an hour and then get knocked back that far when I die.

Anyone?

No checkpoints because you activate Data Posts which serve as your respawn points ...and there tends be quite of few of them, so I don't see you having to huff it much. But obviously, you wanna keep activating posts/getting T-ENG, otherwise your fucked

Reviewers have contention with the fact that once you start a mission, your locked in ala Left 4 Dead style, which also tended to have missions/campaigns that last up to 40 minutes or so ...so basically plan ahead!

Questions:

-it's only 2 player split-screen local, right?

-can you level up characters in single player or earn unlocks?

-can you play as the special characters (wesker, frank) in single player?

AgentOtaku said:
No checkpoints because you activate Data Posts which serve as your respawn points ...and there tends be quite of few of them, so I don't see you having to huff it much. But obviously, you wanna keep activating posts/getting T-ENG, otherwise your fucked

Reviewers have contention with the fact that once you start a mission, your locked in ala Left 4 Dead style, which also tended to have missions/campaigns that last up to 40 minutes or so ...so basically plan ahead!

See, that's fine. Looking at it more like a L4D experience. I can dig that for sure.

d0c_zaius

Pylon_Trooper said:
You've done a wonderful job of simplifying things. Ten out of ten and a koala stamp for you.

Totally.

But LP has been either "get it" or dont.

People have made the same complaints about the MH series for years, and now people are finally starting to get it.

Phloxy

robut said:
Questions:

-it's only 2 player split-screen local, right?

-can you level up characters in single player or earn unlocks?

-can you play as the special characters (wesker, frank) in single player?

2 player split screen local, 4 players if you do split screen with system link

After you beat the game you can use custom characters in single player. By custom characters I mean the skins and the different parts and colors you unlock for each faction.

You do level up and between missions you can customize your weapons and special abilities.

Kittonwy

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

After watching this and reading the IGN and Eurogamer reviews I think I'll take a pass on this game.
Indifferent2.gif

d0c_zaius

I dunno why people post "im passing on this game". but ok I guess.

I got my copy. If anyone wants to play coop SP, pm me!

d0c_zaius

not a good sign, but I have a fresh xbox, and new game, and get random disc read errors even though the game is running fine in the background, and I have it installed fine on the HDD. The messages force me to quit out.

I got through after the 4th time loading up, but Ive never had this problem with any other game.

just happened when scrolling through the menus. this could be a really bad problem....

Im going to try running off the disk and see if it occurs.

edit: yup seems to occur only running off the HDD. pretty fucking dumb of QA to miss this.....

Pooya

Gamespot 5.5/10
Video Review

The Good
* Fantastic production values
* Loads of gameplay variety
* A ton of online content
* Competitive play can be good fun.
The Bad
* Abysmal friendly and enemy AI
* Awful mission design
* Relies too much on taking control away from the player
* All sorts of small, deadly flaws.
Kevin VanOrd said:
On paper, Lost Planet 2 sounds like it should be the only sci-fi shooter you need. There are full-featured online modes, a good-sized campaign that supports up to four players, and gross alien bugs that demand to be shot. Furthermore, the game is beautiful, generously stuffed with small details and boasting a great cohesive art design that refuses to be overshadowed by the impressive technology that powers it. But all of these important features are wrapped around basic mechanics gone horribly awry. Too many missions are either broken, tedious, or downright frustrating, and basic mechanics are focused on removing control from the player in lieu of providing a legitimate challenge. There should be a sense of triumph when you defeat a gigantic creature after a protracted struggle. In Lost Planet 2, you're just relieved that it's over.

I liked Lost Planet Colonies more than most, but all this negativity is worrying.

The main takeaway seems to be: play this game co-op or don't play it at all.

Yeah, it's certainly taking a critical pounding thus far. Co-op or bust for most people, but I really want to explore the design of the game, so I'll do both single and co-op.

Did the original get the same level of review trouncing LP2 is getting?

By the by, the Gamespot review was pretty good. I've got no complaints, as the guy really did seem to investigate everything.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Yeah, it's certainly taking a critical pounding thus far. Co-op or bust for most people, but I really want to explore the design of the game, so I'll do both single and co-op.

Did the original get the same level of review trouncing LP2 is getting?

By the by, the Gamespot review was pretty good. I've got no complaints, as the guy really did seem to investigate everything.

Lost Planet:Extreme Condition seems like it's looking to chart higher overall

To be fair, expections and such have changed in 3 years. I'm sure LP2 not having a proper SP mode for critics, is really hurting it and rightfully so =/

Chrange

Banned
Clunky controls aren't acceptable anymore. RE5 is probably lucky to have gotten away with relatively few 'turret with legs' comments :lol

There are just so many things about the controls and UI that feel outdated that it's hard to get past them.

Top Bottom