• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

We're probably looking at the most polarising game of the year, folks! And to all the detractors, I'm not doing damage control. I can understand the complaints.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am still planning on picking up the 360 version next week. It sounds like the single player/co-op stuff is a let down/crap, but my favorite part of the original LP and Colonies was the multiplayer versus, and I liked the mp demo that came out a few weeks back.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IGN's PS3 review mentions that the PS3 version has technical hiccups compared to the 360 version, kinda disappointed that's the case even with the new engine.

Synless

chandoog said:
IGN's PS3 review mentions that the PS3 version has technical hiccups compared to the 360 version, kinda disappointed that's the case even with the new engine.
Technical hiccups is the nice way of putting it. I believe it says it's a mess while in motion and significant framerate drops hurt it.

Pooya

To be precise
IGN said:
n my Xbox 360 review, I mention that Lost Planet 2 is a beautiful title that really shows off the strengths of Capcom's MT Framework 2.0 engine. From familiar ice fields to jungles and cities and deserts, the world of EDN III is often a sight to behold. Unfortunately, the PS3 version of Lost Planet 2 suffers in comparison. The framerate experiences significant drops whenever the screen is busy, particularly in outdoor stages and during boss fights and hectic combat situations. Occasionally, the game will pause visually for several moments. This can have profound effects on the responsiveness of controls, and there were numerous points where I was nearly killed by an enemy waiting for the game to seemingly catch up with me
PS3 version got 7 instead of 9 for graphics and overall 5.5 instead of 6 compared to the 360 version.

Well, bugger all the critical reviews. A flawed gem, undoubtedly. Just had a great number of post grab rounds in the demo on PS3, so bring on the full version, Play-Asia!

I'm rather disappointed that the PS3 version is the technical lesser of the two(again) and with a forced install too. I'll await further impressions

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gotta feel sorry for Takeuchi.

the guy seems to have his heart in the right place, but he seems to just... not get it?

I've been watching a lot of reviews. LP2 looks so frustrating. I was gonna give this a rent but now I might just go back and play the first one instead.

Rez said:
gotta feel sorry for Takeuchi.

the guy seems to have his heart in the right place, but he seems to just... not get it?

It would have been interesting to sit in on the play-testing/QA sessions for this game, that's for sure.

Synless

Urban Scholar said:
I'm rather disappointed that the PS3 version is the technical lesser of the two(again) and with a forced install too. I'll await further impressions
I don't get how every game using the Framework Engine has gotten technically worse with each game on PS3. I thought V. 2.0 was supposed to make it better not worse.

Synless said:
I don't get how every game using the Framework Engine has gotten technically worse with each game on PS3. I thought V. 2.0 was supposed to make it better not worse.

I'm sorry the thread derail a bit here. Isn't that normally how this kind of thing works?

After reading/watching a lot of the reviews out there, I can say for certain that I'm not looking forward to this train level, but the main lure of the game for me is the competitive MP, which seems to be similar to the first game so hopefully I should still really enjoy it.

Does anyone know what sort of review scores the game has been getting from Japanese sites/mags aside from Famitsu? Would be interesting to compare Eastern and Western averages.

Would be great if we got a group of GAFers who would play MP regularly, hopefully that would ease the frustration of some of those people who were once super-hyped for this but are now a bit unsure.

Synless

Urban Scholar said:
I'm sorry the thread derail a bit here. Isn't that normally how this kind of thing works?
No? Being more familiar with the system should have better results....not worse.

Synless said:

I was agreeing with that MT2.0 shouldn't have a technically weaker PS3 version as we were lead to believe, considering that it was an all around improvement of MT1. Clearly something is wrong...again

Synless

Urban Scholar said:
I was agreeing with that MT2.0 shouldn't have a technically weaker PS3 version as we were lead to believe, considering that it was an all around improvement of MT1. Clearly something is wrong...again
Understood, and I agree.

zlatko

Banned
I was really excited for this game and was going to buy it day one, but all the negative reviews really have me being cautious. May also has Red Dead Redemption which seems to be getting praised and could have a very great online third person shooting experience.

I think I'll rent each to see which is worth 60 bucks, but it's a shame that things didn't go the way I'd hoped with this release. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jet1911 said:
If I really liked the first one I guess I should like LP2 too right?

For the most part, yes.

Lyte Edge said:
It sounds like the single player/co-op stuff is a let down/crap, but my favorite part of the original LP and Colonies was the multiplayer versus, and I liked the mp demo that came out a few weeks back.

Weird, I'm the opposite. The singleplayer was flawed but decent (minus fucking Extreme) and the versus was pure crap. :/

zlatko said:
I was really excited for this game and was going to buy it day one, but all the negative reviews really have me being cautious. May also has Red Dead Redemption which seems to be getting praised and could have a very great online third person shooting experience.

I think I'll rent each to see which is worth 60 bucks, but it's a shame that things didn't go the way I'd hoped with this release. :(

Interesting you mention RDR. I'm grabbing both, to balance my third person gaming. RDR will be the easier to play, more relaxing Western (in more ways than one!) title, with LP2 the more technical and nuanced go-to game.

Glad to hear people are still willing to try it. Going by the first one, there will undoubtedly be a strong online community lurking in the shadows with this sequel.

Sectus

Lost Planet 1 had an awesome Japanese community. I found a small group of Japanese people I played with. I can't speak Japanese, so we communicated completely by meowing. That was awesome.

Pylon_Trooper said:
It'd be nice for people to elucidate *why* they found the experience "a piece of shit", but hey.

Jeeze that isn't any fun.

This is all coming from a fan of Colonies btw
-Controls. For some odd reason they're even worse.
-Clunky and messy. Graphically it looks a step back with the last-gen Havok effects and other nonsense.
-Some of the animations are just laughable
-The entirety of the demo felt like a step backwards.

Then again I wasn't a fan of the original LP either. Maybe this is a similar case and I'll just buy the second release of LP2 that improves on a number of aspects.

-Controls. For some odd reason they're even worse.

I don't know why Capcom developers are still stuck in the late 90's. All their games still have that old school japanese control that modern games dropped years ago. Why in 2010 I can't aim and control the camera with the right analog stick is beyond me.

Xater

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't know why Capcom developers are still stuck in the late 90's. All their games still have that old school japanese control that modern games dropped years ago. Why in 2010 I can't aim and control the camera with the right analog stick is beyond me.

Imo the worst thing is how you roll. Who did come up with that brilliant idea?

mintylurb

chandoog said:
I somehow don't believe you're kind of disappointed that the ps3 version is technically inferior..:lol

Urban Scholar said:
Not really. If you played the ps3 demo, you would've noticed that the ps3 version lacked AA and had more tearing issues compared to the 360 demos.

I was planning on picking this up day one but after reading some of these scathing reviews and considering there's RDR and Alan Wake coming out shortly, I'll just wait for the inevitable LP2: colonies diamond edition.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
mintylurb said:
I somehow don't believe you're kind of disappointed that the ps3 version is technically inferior..:lol

Oh sure not personally for me seeing as I don't have a PS3, but i'm a very big Capcom fan, and it's a shame for similar fans like me who will be playing the PS3 version.

Llyranor

Man, freaking co-op buddy has the game already! May 11th so far away ;____;

The only thing I'd change for the controls for LP1 would be being able to assign dodging to the bumpers. Once I changed aimed to fixed view + increased the camera speed, the 90 turns were completely redundant. Having jump + hookshot would have been nice, too, but that's more design than controls.

mintylurb

chandoog said:
Oh sure not personally for me seeing as I don't have a PS3, but i'm a very big Capcom fan, and it's a shame for similar fans like me who will be playing the PS3 version.
Aww..Here I was expecting you to make a little more effort refuting ign's claim considering your marvelous work in defending ff13 360 in the ff13 comparison thread.. ;<

Haha. I'm just busting your chops. Anyway, this doesn't bode well for MVC3 ps3.

quickwhips said:
does anyone know where the best price for this game is or has anyone used this site http://www.aegamesauction.com/

I want to buy but I'm trying to find a good price.
Never heard of that site. I usually pre-order my games from amazon.com since they usually give $10 amazon credits for pre-ordering games.

robot

Went to eb to preorder it, and the guy took my preorder then gave me the copy early.

aweeeeeeeeesome birthday gift.

nismor2

Banned
I was set on Lost Planet 2, 3d dot game heroes, Red Dead Redemption and maybe Skate 3. Looks like am dropping LP2 and Skate 3 will go from maybe to hell yeah.

Sectus said:
Lost Planet 1 had an awesome Japanese community. I found a small group of Japanese people I played with. I can't speak Japanese, so we communicated completely by meowing. That was awesome.
:lol :lol Really? That's pretty awesome indeed!

So after reading about the poor optimizations jobs of MT framework 2.0 on the ps3, I'm a little afraid about how the ps3 version of MVC3 is gonna turn out despite it being a year away.

I'm kind of hoping that particular game is the exception to the unfortunate rule.

I'm still getting this game regardless of the reviews, btw. I pretty much knew exactly what I was getting into.

The reviews, in my eyes, aren't surprising and actually a bit expected. This is a very tough franchise to get into and if you don't invest enough time into it, it can be really damn off putting. I guess fortunately in my case, despite how frustrating many counter grab or other mp matches can be in LP I still just can't get enough of it.

Call me a glutton for punishment and/or a sucker...

robot

Played the prologue and the game is as awesome as I was expecting. Having your squad positioned around a huge lanky ass akrid, then taking out his legs and watching his still breathing body desperatley trying to kill us with no hope, until finally putting it out of it's misery is what I've been waiting for since the original. Gave me a real Starship Troopers vibe. Controls seem good, graphics really solid, explosions even better than the original. Based on the akrid I fought, looks like the enemies are much bigger, detailed, and visceral.

I turned it off after the title screen and cutscene of everyone heading into the jungle. Can't wait to spend some serious time in campaign with 3 friends.

Gamespot Review said:
There is no drop-in, drop-out play, so you can't join a friend already in progress. More importantly, you can't join a buddy at all if you haven't already played to that point. (If you want your buddy to help you through the train level but he's only in episode 2, it's a no-go.)

this isn't true, is it?

At first, after reading the reviews I decided not to get the game. Then I found out that they are selling the game for 40 bucks in Canada so now I'm back to getting it.

miladesn said:
What they were thinking really?!! make whole game focused on co-op then make it pretty much unplayable.

it makes no sense to make such a co-op focused game highly inaccessible.

that revelation + no join in progress = rental for me.

d0c_zaius

last attempt. someone who else that got it early and wants to play, hit me up!

save me from the horrors of Capcom partner AI :D

robot

d0c_zaius said:
last attempt. someone who else that got it early and wants to play, hit me up!

save me from the horrors of Capcom partner AI :D

I'll add you but unfortunately wont be playing till late late tonight

Not really getting the awful reviews.

Reviewing the LP2 PS3 retail SKU and the frame rate is steady at 30FPS. From the giant water Akrid to the Category G Akrid there wasn't any slowdown. Looking at both the PS3 and 360 versions at the launch party, they look about the same (30FPS, great textures with MT Framework 2.0).

The controls are like LP. What's important to me in this game, i.e. aiming, is really precise. You can assault rifle enemies in the distance and pinpoint anything. The control layout isn't anything foreign to core players. Lots of things to remember, but nothing frustrating.

Online co-op is AMAZING. Can strategize with one player using a shield to block while another treads behind with a gatling gun. You can fire T-ENG to other allies to boost their shield (which everyone online learned quickly). Large bosses with VSs are the most fun. No drop in / out stinks. Best option is to create a match.

There is occasional knockback fire, but it can be turned completely off.

The AI is mixed. In single player they are good to take down enemies but don't complete major objectives (do they ever?). Enemies can mob but don't overwhelm and are sharp shooters.

Having a blast with it and so did the other two online I met in the first game session. Had no idea when we finished Chapter 1 that 2.5 hours had flew by.

Top Bottom