• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

Honkers gonna honk

Co6ipTuWEAAMEpX.jpg
https://twitter.com/gatack_akahono/status/760724233899106304

chrono01

Wow, they're really merging the EN and KR servers (reported via the in-game news). If they don't increase the Tier 2 cut-off, I'm uninstalling this game from my phone.

Hachitora

Kinda late but w/e

Sunshine Ep 5 Thoughts

Yohane is an angel. Other than Yohane's development and the tiny hint that happens at the very end, not much interesting happens in this episode. Though Maru and Ruby continue to be very cute and I'm much more interested in them now than I was before the anime started.

The whole episode's theme of "be yourself" seems kinda cliche, but seeing the rest of Aqours (sans 3rd years) support Yohane and her demonic antics was very cute. It also makes me really wish Yohane gets the center position for their PV next episode and it sounds chuuni af. On that note, Yohane's version of the ED is A+.

The ending of the episode shows that the "school closing down" plot point might just come back. I really don't want it to, but if it happens, it happens. I'm perfectly fine with them bringing back plot points as long as they execute them uniquely enough. And even if they don't, I feel like having a different set of characters and different kinds of character interactions would be enough to distinguish the two series, even if both have the same plot point. Just gonna sit here praying that they're gonna fake us out and the news Mari sent out wasn't about closing down, but already kinda lost hope, lol.
An idea I had to make this series be kinda different to OG would be to have something where the 3rd years would try to fix the problem while Aqours continues to do their thing, the 3rd years grow closer as they try to fix the closing situation, they reconcile, then they join Aqours. Doesn't seem likely at all but I thought it would be a unique way to handle the situation.

pbayne

Sunshine 6

I laughed so hard at Kanan coming to see Mari still in a wet-suit. Lol did she swim over to her house?
I love Hanamru's gimmick of being from the eighteenth century. She had a lot of little cute moments.
I guess Kannan got stage fright then?

Remember when Ruby had Cynophobia?
latest

I'm sorry I'm sorry--- I won't do anything bad anymore, so God, please help me---

Uwaaaaaaaaah~!!!
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry---
Wha, what should I do--- it's barking so loudly---
Did Ruby do something bad? I'm sorry--- God, Ruby definitely won't do anything bad anymore, and will listen to Sis, and will be a good girl from here onwards, so please save Ruby---

He- hey hey hey, puppy, uhm--- I, Ruby, no matter what, I have to pass through here to get to school or it'll be terrible, ah, uhh, today's actually Aqours' practice but--- hya, hyaaaaaaa!!
It started barking again---
The tail is wagging so vigorously---
It must be really mad. What should I do? As expected, this must definitely be divine punishment for sneakily eating Dia's ice-cream yesterday--- Uwaah, my legs are frozen and I can't move at all--- Sis, hurry and come save me~!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought it was androphobia (fear of men) she suffers from. Not that we've seen that.

Then again, we've barely seen any men.

Hachitora

I thought it was androphobia (fear of men) she suffers from. Not that we've seen that.

Then again, we've barely seen any men.

She had that. Maybe they switched it out for just being super shy. But yeah, we haven't seen any men so not like we can know for sure. Only like 3 males exist in this universe

PK Gaming

Love Live: Sunshine 6

This episode was disappointing. There's no way around it. This episode was disappointing, and it was a result of a bunch of unfortunate plot threads coalescing together to create... a disappointing episode.

The Good:

It was still a delight to watch. Love Live: Sunshine is an incredibly fun show to watch in general because it's entertainment incarnate. This episode was still a visual buffet; filled to the brim with wonderful animation, solid art, amazing background and funny visual gags. The various Slice of Life moments that accompanied the main premise (let's shoot a PV) were also really, really, really good. I absolutely love the current members of Aquours in a way I didn't expect. They have an incredible dynamic (arguably even stronger than Muse) which is just insane to me since they've only been together for a few episodes. You, Hana and Yoshiko are top tier.

The Bad:

The blatant reuse of plot threads has reached a fever pitch with their school also potentially closing down (and merging, but for all intents and purposes its the same thing). I cannot put into words how much I hate this. I reaaaaaally haaaaaate this. One of this show's biggest strength was predicated on the idea of the girls trying to stand out in a world where Muse has gone big. Giving us parallels to them was one thing, but having them go through the exact same thing as Muse is a horrible, horrible thing because it completely robs them of the ability to grow and stand out in their own way. The show is somewhat self aware of this since Chika points it out, but going "haha, isn't this trope silly" does not absolve the show from shamelessly recycling this plot point. It's disappointing because the main cast is really strong; these girls deserve better. They deserve to have their own story. Their own trials and their own victory. They deserve better than essentially being Muse 2.0.

The second issue with the episode has to do with the fact that the subplot surrounding the 3rd years is abysmal. I'm seriously not invested in any of their struggles at all. It's overly dramatic, needlessly cryptic and just a blatant attempt at trying to garner sympathy for the girls. Love Live isn't good at drama; Love Live is good at having their characters be fun, silly, gay, and endearing. I love when they just bounce off each other in a chaotic, unpredictable fashion. I'm not inherently opposed to drama (see Eli/Nico in S1), but literally 1/3rd of the cast has been wrapped up in pointless, empty drama. Kanan absolutely gets it the worst because she's spent the bulk of the show being this cold, butthurt, non-character and this episode just added to it.

I don't think this overly dramatic piece of backstory was necessary at all. I still haven't seen the payoff to it, but I can't say i'm particularly excited for it. I'm not excited for the inevitable "we tried and failed, but what makes you think we'll succeed?!" interaction between Chika and the 3rd years. I'm not excited for the pushing and pulling involved in getting the 3rd years to join.

*sigh*

I'm still enjoying the show, but this episode has definitely made me lose heart. Please save me, episode 7!

Hachitora

Sunshine Ep 6 Thoughts

I thought it was alright. They brought back the school closing idea, which is bleh. But they went about it, at least in this episode, kinda differently. They went around the town and showed off a bunch of places, something µ's wouldn't have had to do since they lived in a big city. Seeing the sights of their town was nice, and a different way of going about saving the school. Of course, they're gonna go right back to doing idol things to save the school right after.

But honestly, I'm kinda okay with it. Yes, I'd MUCH rather them do something unique and I agree with PK saying that these girls deserve their own unique story. But at the end of the day, I'm satisfied seeing the 9 girls interact in different ways, be silly with each other, and sing. The story and drive for the girls was never really a big part in why I loved µ's in the first place. The plot wasn't what I cared about, it was the characters and the music that did it for me, and Sunshine has given us 9 amazing characters that are great - sans Kanan, which the anime has given us nothing good on yet. She's so much better in magazine/audio dramas/manga stuff than here so far. Anyway, while I'll be fine if they just rehash a lot of OG LL stuff, I really hope they find more ways to make Sunshine stand out. They're about halfway done with the season, so there's time.

My biggest wish, besides them straying away from OG LL rehashing, is for the show to give us more amazing character moments. It's already given us so much by adding much-needed character to the now adorable Hanamaru, and I want to see that for characters like Kanan and Mari, who have almost nothing so far.

As for the 3rd year drama, I'm actually interested in it. Not sure what it is, but I want to see what exactly happened to make all this tension you see whenever Kanan sees Mari. Having the 3rd years be former failed idols and still having some tension from it feels like one of the more unique things to come out of Sunshine. Sure, we had Nico be like this, but having other members of that former idol group still in the school adds more to this. I want to see what comes out of it, and hopefully they pull it off well, unlike OG LL's S1 drama...

I really liked the PV at the end of the episode. It was nice and simple: no fancy stage, no fancy outfits, no crazy choreography, etc. It fits perfectly with their simple little beach town.

3rd year version of the ED is pretty A+ (no I don't have a Mari bias totally not nope). The preview for the next episode shows that we might get a nice light-hearted episode of them going around Tokyo, alongside some 3rd year stuff, so I'm hoping for a good episode. Makes me wonder how much longer till we get the whole crew together.

Edit: Something I wanted to add: I wish they handled Kanan a bit better. Every one of her appearances is her being an edgelord. I wish they balanced it out with her being herself and hanging out with Chika, while also still being slightly cold when around Mari. They had it in episode 1 when Chika comes and brings mikan to her, but other than that we don't get much of "Kanan", just someone who stares painfully at Mari asks questions while Mari explains things.

Edit edit: Also forgot to mention that I find it super cute that Ruby did the Ganbaruby thing. Either they're referencing what the seiyuu made up, or they had the seiyuu do those things because they would eventually have them in the anime. Either way, it's super cute and I love it.

Jintor

I've resigned myself to being meh on the actual show and plot and just waiting for the good character stuff to happen when the actual real dynamic finally establishes itself

PK Gaming

The "showing off the town" segments are definitely some of the best parts of the show

You get a pretty good sense of what it's like, and it totally reminds me of Locodol

JP version stopped working on my phone. Good thing I tied it to a google account. Sorry Hanamaru & You, probably going to miss you this event.

Anony

my phone is running out of space
is there any way to clear the main event story and side story files?

i manually deleted some of the sound files in the data directory and now the scenes play without the voices
this is sort of what i want, but i know from in game, you can manually download per scene, and i want to revert back to this
(i think the game keeps a table of what's downloaded)

Summation of my thoughts on ep6 (and increasingly on the show as a whole):
Yeah. It's clear that Sunrise is overrelying on OG's success while still trying to be unique. The best way I can enjoy this series is by interpreting Sunshine almost as a pseudo-remake of the original with better written characters and improved CG.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm going to call it now. The payoff in the end of Sunshine will be more satisfying than Cinderella Girls in the battle of the spinoffs.

elhaym

I'm going to call it now. The payoff in the end of Sunshine will be more satisfying than Cinderella Girls in the battle of the spinoffs.

IMO that's not -terribly- hard. CG had a lot of promise, and then it just went full 'loldrama' and had a chaotic and yes, mostly unsatisfying ending. =/

If they start pulling out the extraordinary drama like THAT in this show, then I think I'm done. As mentioned above somewhere, I like the goofy feel good stuff in this universe. School idols as a concept seems to lend itself to that better, whereas I think imas being "pro" was a better for for drama. Not even going to go into WUG, because that's still too awkward for me to finish watching.

(Not to really discount the loldrama in OG imas TV either though, because halfway through that I was ready to stab someone the next time Kuroi-shachou showed up).

/overanalyzingidols

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I only go for safe bets lol

Please finish WUG so you can then watch WUG Zoo, which is the best idol show of them all.

elhaym

1st glance: "Oh shit, Natsuiro egao de 1,2 jump!" is 12 stars now.

After playing: "Oh wow, that's actually REALLY fun."

I like whoever's in charge of THESE charts, instead of the bullshit trickery that the Aqours songs all depend on.

Hachitora

1st glance: "Oh shit, Natsuiro egao de 1,2 jump!" is 12 stars now.

After playing: "Oh wow, that's actually REALLY fun."

I like whoever's in charge of THESE charts, instead of the bullshit trickery that the Aqours songs all depend on.

It is definitely my favorite Master chart so far. Very fun. Took me 19 tries plus a perfect lock team (which was very unreliable) to FC it.

GoXDS

raise your hand if you thought this maintenance would end on time. no? no one?
2 extra hours and counting~

EDIT: it ended just as I posted this
EDIT2: oh man, they're really pushing out Aqours quick. first event already

chrono01

raise your hand if you thought this maintenance would end on time. no? no one?
2 extra hours and counting~

EDIT: it ended just as I posted this
EDIT2: oh man, they're really pushing out Aqours quick. first event already
Double SR event too. Time to see if they raised the T2 cut-off. With the server merge, it's likely, but you never know...

If they didn't, this event will be an absolute nightmare.

the longer the delay the better, i rather have free gems
Delay, but no free gems. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Starlight Stage has spoilt me on events. Can play casually and still get both cards. 120k cut off is a nice number for the rank card. KLabs needs to sort it out.

GoXDS

Double SR event too. Time to see if they raised the T2 cut-off. With the server merge, it's likely, but you never know...

If they didn't, this event will be an absolute nightmare.

Delay, but no free gems. :(

at least with this double SR, you can always idolize one since one of the SRs is obtained purely through event pts (assuming EN follow same format ofc. 11k, 25k, 40k while the other SR is Tier 3-1). so we can finally "tier" for SR again without needing to spend ridiculous amounts of Gems. tbh, EN should've done this from the start >_> the JP event happened before our double SR started happening so they had precedent (even if it was only ~2 weeks? before)

we are getting delay gems. says so in the [Maintenance extended] notice (3rd one). 2 gems, but tomorrow

chrono01

at least with this double SR, you can always idolize one since one of the SRs is obtained purely through event pts (assuming EN follow same format ofc. 11k, 25k, 40k while the other SR is Tier 3-1). so we can finally "tier" for SR again without needing to spend ridiculous amounts of Gems. tbh, EN should've done this from the start >_> the JP event happened before our double SR started happening so they had precedent (even if it was only ~2 weeks? before)

we are getting delay gems. says so in the [Maintenance extended] notice (3rd one). 2 gems, but tomorrow
Oh wow, they're changing things up, huh? Nice. Glad to hear it.

Also, I missed that gem compensation announcement, thanks for clarifying. Free gems is always a good thing.

Jintor

So I leveled up for the first time in like six months and now I have like twenty main stories to complete and have like infinite loop? Only playing easy songs just to try and churn them all though

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I leveled up for the first time in like six months and now I have like twenty main stories to complete and have like infinite loop? Only playing easy songs just to try and churn them all though
They halved all the level requirements and gave people the experience retroactively. This also happened after the update that let you keep your stamina between leveling, so yeah.

People ended up with 1500 stamina after the update. lol

----

Also if anyone wants to play 2 versions of the game for some reason but wants to play the game in English, the Korean version seems to be considered a separate app even if it's on the same servers as the English version.

This is in contrast to every single non-simplified Chinese (mainland) version being the same version - TW, HK, and presumably Singapore all use the same app despite being on different stories and licensed to different companies.

GoXDS

Oh wow, they're changing things up, huh? Nice. Glad to hear it.

Also, I missed that gem compensation announcement, thanks for clarifying. Free gems is always a good thing.

oh, not confirmed. I don't think they'd change it (from original JP) but who knows

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ok, it's now confirmed that they're following JP double SR format~ and forgot about buff to event pts gained
I wonder if we're going to get triple SRs for Muse events. It's going to be murder.

Speaking of, this is the first time where I am actively deciding not to tier in the TW version. It's getting way too competitive and playing 3 hours straight just to get SRs I probably don't need doesn't sound fun anymore. I hope they expand the tiers (they probably won't).

GoXDS

I wonder if we're going to get triple SRs for Muse events. It's going to be murder.

Speaking of, this is the first time where I am actively deciding not to tier in the TW version. It's getting way too competitive and playing 3 hours straight just to get SRs I probably don't need doesn't sound fun anymore. I hope they expand the tiers (they probably won't).

well they said they will. it's just a matter of how much. if it's another meager 10% increase... curious though. how man active or semi active korean players were there and how that compares to EN

Jintor

One episode's not even giving them a chance-zura.

My main complaint is that it's derivative as balls, and not enough yuribait.

Top Bottom