• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Korean servers will no longer be running as of August 10th and all players are compensated by being given a chance to transfer their IDs to the EN server, esentially making EN a global server. Also there's a plan to add language options to EN, so the TW version might also be integrated to EN in the future.

No new cards and events since June 30th. I don't know if their IDs are going to be transferred automatically on August 10th or they can start transferring manually now. I thought the ID transfers already happened which was why I thought 1500/7500 was a good number for the tier expansion, considering KR whales coming in to EN. Hopefully they will reach that number when KR is fully integrated.
For some reason I was imagining that my KR account would merge with my EN account but that was stupid. lol
So right now there are no transfer codes - the app will be updated on the 10th and then presumably logging on to the KR version will be the same as running the EN version for the first time (I need to move my account to a third device so that there aren't any conflicts).
I also had to blew 350 loveca since they aren't coming over, along with stuff in the gift box.

The funny thing though is that as part of their last update, they also introduced Korean players to the 3.0 features (with the retroactive free seal thing going back to May), so I guess they are still "supporting it" in terms of telling people what's going to happen with the update. lol

TW is in sync, so the move would be somewhat easier... I'm not sure how it's run exactly, because although a different company runs the game in HK, the HK and TW apps are the same so there may be different interests there. It's definitely a smaller player base though, but probably larger than the Korea one, so maybe someone is still making money on it at this point. There are clearly the crazies who go for a million points each event to reach #1 on the leaderboard, so someone is spending money on the game.

GoXDS

@firehawk are you still going to be playing all 3 accs then, considering they're all in the same server now? or did you invest too much time already so not playing those acc would be a total waste of the collected stuff?

pbayne

Really starting to appreciate the VAs more in the latest episode. Ive heard some people say they sound kind of amateurish but i think it gives the show and characters a very unique feel. Like in the (ep 3 spoiler)
concert shutdown scene, you can tell they aren't the greatest singers in the world but that gives them a unique charm in its own right.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
@firehawk are you still going to be playing all 3 accs then, considering they're all in the same server now? or did you invest too much time already so not playing those acc would be a total waste of the collected stuff?
I stopped Korea a while ago because it was really getting ridiculous. I have a UR though, so I'm going to transfer it I guess... not sure what I'd do with it other than just have it collect loveca forever like I do with my Android accounts (it's fun doing free draws one every 2 months).

If they merged TW with Global, then I'd probably switch to my TW account since I have every event SR idolized and all three UR colours. But that would also mean that the tiers will be broken (until they started doing double SR events, you could easily tier without spending any loveca) so at that point it wouldn't matter.

It's rough because I thought I'd just go casual with JP and Global, but even the f2p JP player is competing because they need to reach that 120k rank for the second SR.
I'd be more than happy to switch to Global as main, but it requires way too much time to be competitive and I'm more than happy to save the loveca for massively disappointing 11 draw rolls. lol

Really starting to appreciate the VAs more in the latest episode. Ive heard some people say they sound kind of amateurish but i think it gives the show and characters a very unique feel. Like in the (ep 3 spoiler)
concert shutdown scene, you can tell they aren't the greatest singers in the world but that gives them a unique charm in its own right.
I assume they were cast for singing/dancing talent first, so that part in particular I attribute to acting rather than singing ability.

I really don't know how I feel about
Mari being the school director. It's a bit better with the implication that she only just recently became the director, but it's still a bit too out there even for Love Live! Regardless, I really enjoyed her character and I hope they continue to play on the differences between her and Dia.

I liked that the second year's concert was different than in the first anime, but I think it would have worked much better if the Mari's challenge was gone entirely and they had an audience that was a bit bigger than the initial turnout, while still being significantly smaller than the final size. That would've shown that they're still nobodies in the grand scheme of things without actually making it a repeat of μ's. Their huge success was heartwarming, but it felt too unrealistic with the goal to fill the entire place being way too on the nose in terms of it existing solely to make it seem like an "impossible" task because even μ's couldn't do it. I'd have also liked if there was a better explanation for their turnout because it seems like they didn't really do anything different from Honoka, Kotori and Umi.

In the end, Sunshine continues to be extremely fun to watch and it's nice to see they can keep up what made the original great, while still making improvements here and there.

BTW, does anyone else hear this song when Chika starts singing their song? When Chika starts singing, this was the song I thought of, and when the notes start to be different, I got all confused :p the first few notes sound the same to me.

My friend and I heard it too when we were watching and I've seen a few other people mention it as well.

fek

I liked that the second year's concert was different than in the first anime, but I think it would have worked much better if the Mari's challenge was gone entirely and they had an audience that was a bit bigger than the initial turnout, while still being significantly smaller than the final size. That would've shown that they're still nobodies in the grand scheme of things without actually making it a repeat of μ's. Their huge success was heartwarming, but it felt too unrealistic with the goal to fill the entire place being way too on the nose in terms of it existing solely to make it seem like an "impossible" task because even μ's couldn't do it. I'd have also liked if there was a better explanation for their turnout because it seems like they didn't really do anything different from Honoka, Kotori and Umi.
In the end Dia explained this part like this:
They succeeded because now school idols are much more popular than when μ's started and because they live in a small town, so there isn't much competition and people from the town want to support them. It's like cheering for your town's baseball team or something.
Just that wouldn't be enough if they weren't able to spread the word but it seems Chika's sister was a big help with that.

In the end Dia explained this part like this:
They succeeded because now school idols are much more popular than when μ's started and because they live in a small town, so there isn't much competition and people from the town want to support them. It's like cheering for your town's baseball team or something.
Just that wouldn't be enough if they weren't able to spread the word but it seems Chika's sister was a big help with that.
I guess I totally missed that. I actually like that explaination quite a lot.

chrono01

Already the score for Tier 2 in the English event is close to 24k.

...Yeah, not going to bother wasting Love Gems for these double SR events, not until they raise the cap further.

PK Gaming

CnftEV1UkAAiBI8.jpg

The ship to surpass NozoEli

(source)

elhaym

Super LOVE=Super LIVE! is an awful song with an awful EX chart.

I think I must have blacked out for the entire performance during final live.

Hachitora

Sunshine Ep 4 Thoughts

Maru! A character I wanted some background for since the beginning. We get an interesting story behind her, and her relationship with Ruby is explored. Hanamaru is a very very verrrry good friend. She would probably jump off a cliff if Ruby wanted to. I think it's incredibly sweet that she decided to become an idol just so that Ruby would become one. She knew that Ruby wasn't joining because Maru wasn't, so she decided to do something completely out of her character all for her bestie. She also encouraged Ruby to follow her own heart not just so that Maru could leave, but so that she could face her sister. Maru would absolutely, positively, play the support role in a MOBA. Also, she knows who best girl is :^) I kinda like her now. Maybe it's just me loving the characters who have problems with self-confidence (cuz I can relate), but she's not as boring as I first thought she was. She is pure. Also, I've always loved Maru's singing, and now everyone can hear it in the ED. Props to King, her voice is baller.

More third year things. I really want to see what's going on with those three. Mari seems like she screwed something up with Kanan, big time, and I hope the anime shows that off in detail. It's the story I'm most interested in. Mari seems like she's taking on Nozomi's role, and it's a lot more obvious this time around. I really want to know what her motives are, they could be interesting. But please, Mari, stop the boobs, that's not you! I want Mari to be funny, without all the boob stuff she's been doing to Kanan and Dia. She also needs some character depth!

One problem I had with this episode was the fact that we now have 4 members of Aqours (Chika, Dia, Maru, and Ruby) that have a favorite µ's member. Would I have a problem with this normally? Absolutely not. What I have a problem with is that their favorites are the characters that people can easily compare them to. Chika and Honks is obvious, Dia and Eli also pretty obvious, Ruby and Hanayo being the super shy idol lovers, Maru and Rin being the supporters that after they supported their friend, they got support from them by reassuring them they can be true idols. While they definitely do foil the characters (PK will probably detail this much better than I can), it just kinda bothers me. Gives more fuel for people to quickly say "look, even the show realizes that they're exactly the same!" when they aren't just copy-paste. But both Maru and Rin are absolutely precious and require many hugs.

Final thoughts, a bit too much µ's in this episode. I guess it was inevitable for a Ruby-centric episode, but I'm hoping Yohane's won't have any mention. Also, it seems we have a general timeframe for when Sunshine takes place. It's definitely at least 5 years after the original show took place. I doubt it's much more than 5 since Dia doesn't seem that much smaller in those flashbacks. Overall, I found the episode ok. Episodes 2 and 3 were more enjoyable for me. Hoping Yohane brings the chuuni in and makes Episode 5 very fun.

(probably gonna bump this to next page since it's at the bottom of the Nico Ocean, lol)

JoeFu

Banned
I got u fam

Sunshine Ep 4 Thoughts

Maru! A character I wanted some background for since the beginning. We get an interesting story behind her, and her relationship with Ruby is explored. Hanamaru is a very very verrrry good friend. She would probably jump off a cliff if Ruby wanted to. I think it's incredibly sweet that she decided to become an idol just so that Ruby would become one. She knew that Ruby wasn't joining because Maru wasn't, so she decided to do something completely out of her character all for her bestie. She also encouraged Ruby to follow her own heart not just so that Maru could leave, but so that she could face her sister. Maru would absolutely, positively, play the support role in a MOBA. Also, she knows who best girl is :^) I kinda like her now. Maybe it's just me loving the characters who have problems with self-confidence (cuz I can relate), but she's not as boring as I first thought she was. She is pure. Also, I've always loved Maru's singing, and now everyone can hear it in the ED. Props to King, her voice is baller.

More third year things. I really want to see what's going on with those three. Mari seems like she screwed something up with Kanan, big time, and I hope the anime shows that off in detail. It's the story I'm most interested in. Mari seems like she's taking on Nozomi's role, and it's a lot more obvious this time around. I really want to know what her motives are, they could be interesting. But please, Mari, stop the boobs, that's not you! I want Mari to be funny, without all the boob stuff she's been doing to Kanan and Dia. She also needs some character depth!

One problem I had with this episode was the fact that we now have 4 members of Aqours (Chika, Dia, Maru, and Ruby) that have a favorite µ's member. Would I have a problem with this normally? Absolutely not. What I have a problem with is that their favorites are the characters that people can easily compare them to. Chika and Honks is obvious, Dia and Eli also pretty obvious, Ruby and Hanayo being the super shy idol lovers, Maru and Rin being the supporters that after they supported their friend, they got support from them by reassuring them they can be true idols. While they definitely do foil the characters (PK will probably detail this much better than I can), it just kinda bothers me. Gives more fuel for people to quickly say "look, even the show realizes that they're exactly the same!" when they aren't just copy-paste. But both Maru and Rin are absolutely precious and require many hugs.

Final thoughts, a bit too much µ's in this episode. I guess it was inevitable for a Ruby-centric episode, but I'm hoping Yohane's won't have any mention. Also, it seems we have a general timeframe for when Sunshine takes place. It's definitely at least 5 years after the original show took place. I doubt it's much more than 5 since Dia doesn't seem that much smaller in those flashbacks. Overall, I found the episode ok. Episodes 2 and 3 were more enjoyable for me. Hoping Yohane brings the chuuni in and makes Episode 5 very fun.

(probably gonna bump this to next page since it's at the bottom of the Nico Ocean, lol)

CoinArt

but yeah, I agree with pretty much everything Hachi posted. A very good episode for Ruby & Zuramaru, and intriguing hints at third year drama. Waaay too much OG LL. I love OG a lot, but I want this to be its own show. Up to this episode, I feel like μ's was mostly just taking the place of A-Rise, but this episode felt like the beginning of the first Star Trek movie, where ten minutes are spent lovingly zooming over parts of the Enterprise and God dammit I don't care. Alternatively, it feels like the halfway point of The Force Awakens, when you realize that the OG callbacks aren't going to stop, and all future events can be predicted.

Hachitora

but yeah, I agree with pretty much everything Hachi posted. A very good episode for Ruby & Zuramaru, and intriguing hints at third year drama. Waaay too much OG LL. I love OG a lot, but I want this to be its own show. Up to this episode, I feel like μ's was mostly just taking the place of A-Rise, but this episode felt like the beginning of the first Star Trek movie, where ten minutes are spent lovingly zooming over parts of the Enterprise and God dammit I don't care. Alternatively, it feels like the halfway point of The Force Awakens, when you realize that the OG callbacks aren't going to stop, and all future events can be predicted.

It's unfortunate. I really want them to get away from OG. I'm still holding on to hope that they'll stop, but I feel like the earliest they'll stop is after they recruit everyone.

Also, I have a small theory
The small room that Mari gives them and the lyrics on the whiteboard. I feel like Mari and the third years probably tried making an idol club, but something happened. I have two ideas on this, one is that Mari leaving Japan messed everything up for them. My second is that they weren't able to come up with enough members, and they were forced to shut down (and maybe Mari leaving because of that). I figured that's why Mari wanted to approve them even though they only had 3 members; to give them the chance that she didn't, but also tested them at first by telling them to fill the gym. It's also probably why Dia was so adamant about not letting them make a club. The fact that she also talked about not having a composer in the school might show that it might've been a problem they faced with their idol club.
Idk, this is all just me imagining / theorizing but I found it interesting :p

pbayne

Ep 4

Huh wouldn't have thought
Rin was the idol Hanamura would look up to but i guess it made sense when they explained her personality.

I liked the little transition of Ruby reaching out and trying to grab the past that her and Dia used to have. That was cute, hope they make up soon.

Lol i still find it funny that there's no real narrative thrust forcing them to be idols. They seem to be doing it "just cause"

I think all the kind of "we have to do this like muse" will eventually lead to someone calling them out saying "whats the point if we're just copying muse" or something like that.

elhaym

Yep, thirded.

Spoilering because reasons:
I absolutely adored the Rin development episode in OGLL, so Hanamaru absolutely sold this episode for me. I STILL think her character is a bit flat though (Full disclosure: I don't think Rin's was ever spectacular either). Ruby's character archetype is one that causes me to immediately tune out, fully the other end of the spectrum that I expect Yohane to end up on.

Top Bottom