• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

elhaym

Re: ep 8.

That was a good ep. I like drama when it's not nonsensical forced-on-the-characters drama, and this was entirely Chika character development.

Also, KananCharacterDevelopment.jpg:
Salt-Shaker-1024x804.jpg

D3RANG3D

I think there is definitely more to the characters personality than LL, I don't like the designs as much and they are riding on the original series coat tails way too hard.

Love Live! Sunshine!! - 09

That emotional payoff was very well-earned.
Finding out that Kanan basically broke up old Aqours for Mari's sake showed how this was more of a result of poor communication between the three. The reconciliation at the end was just pure satisfaction.

The third-years are now my favorite OT3.

Hachitora

Love Live! Sunshine!! - 09
Finding out that Kanan basically broke up old Aqours for Mari's sake showed how this was more of a result of poor communication between the three. The reconciliation at the end was just pure satisfaction.

And it feels like poor communication is something that a lot of irl relationships (romantic or otherwise) suffer from too, making this a very relatable kind of problem. Seems to be a theme with these guys, lol

PK Gaming

Episode 8

This was the first truly great Love Live: Sunshine episode, and arguably one of the best in the series. For all her obnoxious posturing about "not giving up!" and "we can do it!" Chika really did feel the crushing despair of failure. For the first time, the character was truly relatable to me; failure is a bitter pill to swallow, and while it's important to move on from failure, pretending like it doesn't affect you is the absolute worst possible thing you can do it. Accept it. Cry if you have to. And then you can move on.

Episode 9

SATISFACTION

There's pretty much no other way to describe this episode. In spite of the stupid, drawn out 3rd year melodrama, the arc somehow ends on a really satisfying note. I always thought it was incredibly idiotic that Kanan was butthurt over her failure at tokyo but it turns out... it was a bit more nuanced than that. Failure to communicate was the big sticking point here and like the last episode, and unlike pointlessly fussing over failing at being an school idol, it's something people could actually relate to. This episode does a great job of completely re-contextualizes Kanan's character. She went from being perpetually butthurt to being someone who looks out for her ex-girlfriend friends. I'm glad the episode didn't shy away from the fact that she was just as much in the wrong as Mari, because keeping that bottled in is kind of a shitty thing to do. Regardless, all's well that ends well. Excited for the 4 episodes of Aquour's being fully form.

RIP Dia, forever a 3rd wheel.

GoXDS

60k is how it is in JP Medley double SR, too, so nothing strange there. the problem is Token (and probably SM later) because in JP, event pts awarded are buffed in JP but EN decided not to

and thus, KR players have nothing to do with that. the real issue with KR players is Tier 2 still being small. and that's KLab's fault, not the KR players...

chrono01

60k is how it is in JP Medley double SR, too, so nothing strange there. the problem is Token (and probably SM later) because in JP, event pts awarded are buffed in JP but EN decided not to

and thus, KR players have nothing to do with that. the real issue with KR players is Tier 2 still being small. and that's KLab's fault, not the KR players...
Agreed. I can't believe the T2 cut-off is still only 5500. I went all-in last event, since I wanted the new Sunshine girls, but I won't this one. Honestly, I probably won't play much at all.

Honestly, I play so many gatcha games, this game is offering me less and less. The usual songs, time and time ago, in the random rotations, low tier cut-off's, etc. It's become pretty repetitive for me, so maybe it's time for me to take a break and wait to see if Klab makes any changes. I'll probably just save up for Little Devil Nico in a few months and throw everything at her.

Verelios

I think I'm finally done with LL. Repeating songs on expert now feels as if I were completing a chore, compared to when I first began and everything was fresh. If the rates on URs were better and not amazingly atrocious, where a capital of 500 gems wouldn't be enough to even think of getting one, my compulsive gambler inside would try and compel me to stay.

*Creak

Two years and one UR, not a great track record. Though to be honest, it's not about the UR rates. I came to grips with having teams of SR's and they really don't detract from the ranks/scores/experience. I'm just burnt out, tired of doling out the same songs everyday, so here I am. Saya Nora LL, you were fun

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Join us on the Starlight Stage, where events are fair and gems (lovaca equivalent) are plentiful. Even SSRs (URs) are easier to get. It's not even been a year and I have five of them as a free player.

Only con: It's only available in Japanese.

m0t0k1

Join us on the Starlight Stage, where events are fair and gems (lovaca equivalent) are plentiful. Even SSRs (URs) are easier to get. It's not even been a year and I have five of them as a free player.

Only con: It's only available in Japanese.

Whut i only got one lol but i have been despair pulling for yui didnt get nothing :(. I also have almost 150 loveca saved up waiting for a nice kotori to start drawing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Whut i only got one lol but i have been despair pulling for yui didnt get nothing :(. I also have almost 150 loveca saved up waiting for a nice kotori to start drawing.

Good chunk of them were during double rate pulls.

Besides, you've got one of the best SSRs in the game so don't complain.

m0t0k1

Good chunk of them were during double rate pulls.

Besides, you've got one of the best SSRs in the game so don't complain.

ayyy stats wise she is pretty good yeah. But i believe better SSR has released already because power creep. Yeah i also got my SSR via a double rate pull. But those limited time SSR are such BS this game knows you want them.

I kinda want to see those double SSR rates in LLsif as well. Most of the rhytm games have it now.

I never posted in this thread back when I was playing pretty heavily (I never spent money on gems I was just really dedicated to never letting my LP bar fill) and I guess I stopped in February and now I'm back in all these updates really changed how this game looks holy shit

m0t0k1

I never posted in this thread back when I was playing pretty heavily (I never spent money on gems I was just really dedicated to never letting my LP bar fill) and I guess I stopped in February and now I'm back in all these updates really changed how this game looks holy shit

Yeah all the changes are for the better. Really love that i don't have to waste any lp.

m0t0k1

This sticker shop thing is new isnt it? How exactly does it work?

If you ment seal shop it has some info on the wiki:

Seal SHOP
SIF JP v3.0 Tutorial 7

This is likely the most confusing. Let me start off by clarifying that "Seal" is just how they refer to stickers, in case you were wondering what they were going on about. Essentially: collect stickers, redeem them for goodies. Rs, SRs, URs and even blue scouting vouchers are up for grabs!

Important: Note that under the URs, there's a date which states when it's available until. URs available for redemption will rotate every month, so don't miss them if it's the one you want!

How to get Seals? You get Seals when you sell away, or use a card for training.

Using up a UR card will give you a gold Seal
Using up a SR card will give you a silver Seal
Using up a R card will give you a regular Seal

Using up an Idolized card will give you TWO of the appropriate tier Seal.

Note that Promotional cards (those given for free in books or as part of campaigns) and Support cards (teachers, alpacas, family members etc.) will NOT give you Seals when used up.
SIF JP v3.0 Tutorial 8

Although this deal might've looked good at first, letting you get a UR of any character you want, you still essentially have to sell 3 URs just to get one. So this really isn't a solution.

But not all hope is lost!
SIF JP v3.0 Tutorial 9

We can redeem blue scouting vouchers with regular Seals! Burn all the R cards awaaaaay!

Other misc update: You no longer have to play lower difficulties of a song to unlock Medium/Hard mode for normal songs. Hurray!

source

hope this helps.

chrono01

I think I'm finally done with LL. Repeating songs on expert now feels as if I were completing a chore, compared to when I first began and everything was fresh. If the rates on URs were better and not amazingly atrocious, where a capital of 500 gems wouldn't be enough to even think of getting one, my compulsive gambler inside would try and compel me to stay.

*Creak

Two years and one UR, not a great track record. Though to be honest, it's not about the UR rates. I came to grips with having teams of SR's and they really don't detract from the ranks/scores/experience. I'm just burnt out, tired of doling out the same songs everyday, so here I am. Saya Nora LL, you were fun
This is about where I am too (only one US, as well, and been playing since launch). I've invested so much time into my account that I don't want to simply stop, but if I'm not enjoying things, why continue? I just wish they had more song variety in the events, or something else to grind for (maybe items we could equip it our idols to improve their stats?). It's just gotten boring for me. I also have several gatcha games demanding my attention, so the idea of grinding out the same old songs for several hours, just to get an SR I'll never use, just doesn't seem so rewarding anymore.

If only they localized Starlight Stage here. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is about where I am too (only one US, as well, and been playing since launch). I've invested so much time into my account that I don't want to simply stop, but if I'm not enjoying things, why continue? I just wish they had more song variety in the events, or something else to grind for (maybe items we could equip it our idols to improve their stats?). It's just gotten boring for me. I also have several gatcha games demanding my attention, so the idea of grinding out the same old songs for several hours, just to get an SR I'll never use, just doesn't seem so rewarding anymore.

They've changed it so that you can at least grind enough to be guaranteed to be able to idolize an SR now at least, so that's something. And with the new idolizing system, you can theoretically idolize every single card you have fairly easily.

The Japanese update also has power ups that you can equip on idols, but honestly, I haven't really seen them make that big a difference (that is, unless you whale and get a team full of idolized URs like the top scorers, there's no real way to catch up).

I play imas as well and to be honest, it's just the same. Grind tokens, grind medleys, grind songs for drops. The room thing is nice if you like to fool around with customizing that, but otherwise it's basically the same game. The only good thing is that they both keep pushing each other to implement more features because they're competing for those whale dollars from idol fans.

chrono01

They've changed it so that you can at least grind enough to be guaranteed to be able to idolize an SR now at least, so that's something. And with the new idolizing system, you can theoretically idolize every single card you have fairly easily.

The Japanese update also has power ups that you can equip on idols, but honestly, I haven't really seen them make that big a difference (that is, unless you whale and get a team full of idolized URs like the top scorers, there's no real way to catch up).

I play imas as well and to be honest, it's just the same. Grind tokens, grind medleys, grind songs for drops. The room thing is nice if you like to fool around with customizing that, but otherwise it's basically the same game. The only good thing is that they both keep pushing each other to implement more features because they're competing for those whale dollars from idol fans.
I'm just tired of playing the same event songs. The game has a decent amount of songs to it, I don't know why they keep throwing in the same ones with the odd "new" song. At least, if I started Starlight Stage, all of the songs would be new.

Also, for the idolize all SR thing, don't you need to sell SR characters to earn enough stickers for it anyway? I rarely get SR from gatcha, so that's not going to help me a whole lot. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just tired of playing the same event songs. The game has a decent amount of songs to it, I don't know why they keep throwing in the same ones with the odd "new" song. At least, if I started Starlight Stage, all of the songs would be new.

Also, for the idolize all SR thing, don't you need to sell SR characters to earn enough stickers for it anyway? I rarely get SR from gatcha, so that's not going to help me a whole lot. :/
The songs come faster than imas, to be honest. After every event you get a new song, and then the token event gives you a new song. That said, yeah, it gets really boring. That's why Japan introduced the "random song" feature. But ultimately the problem is that the only thing they really have no is the goal of trying to get S ranks on every song... and if you can do that early on, the game doesn't really have much else to offer.
I mean I still play Imas, but it has the exact same problem. For me it's actually a bit worse because the slides mean I can't play the level 29/30 songs.

No you can just use R stickers to idolize SRs. But I'm talking about events - they recently changed it so that each event has two SRs, and one of the SRs you can be guaranteed to earn two copies of without grinding for rank. I think it's an okay compromise to keep the game whale-heavy but to throw a bone to f2p players.

chrono01

The songs come faster than imas, to be honest. After every event you get a new song, and then the token event gives you a new song. That said, yeah, it gets really boring. That's why Japan introduced the "random song" feature. But ultimately the problem is that the only thing they really have no is the goal of trying to get S ranks on every song... and if you can do that early on, the game doesn't really have much else to offer.
I mean I still play Imas, but it has the exact same problem. For me it's actually a bit worse because the slides mean I can't play the level 29/30 songs.

No you can just use R stickers to idolize SRs. But I'm talking about events - they recently changed it so that each event has two SRs, and one of the SRs you can be guaranteed to earn two copies of without grinding for rank. I think it's an okay compromise to keep the game whale-heavy but to throw a bone to f2p players.
So things over there aren't much different after all, huh? Thanks, good to know.

I'm relieved to hear standard stickers can be used to idolize SR characters. I have a few on-hand, but I'm been debating whether I should grab tickets with them or not. I guess I'll save them.

Anony

i need serious advice here
i bought alter nozomi from amiami and it came with the top long cloth thing at the top hand broken
pic from mfc, not me, for reference

i want to know what amiami can/will do for me because something tells me they wont refund this or anything

this was 211$ cad, so it made a pretty big dent in my wallet and i'm not pleased

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So things over there aren't much different after all, huh? Thanks, good to know.

I'm relieved to hear standard stickers can be used to idolize SR characters. I have a few on-hand, but I'm been debating whether I should grab tickets with them or not. I guess I'll save them.
I mean for rhythm games, there's only so much they can do. Play the songs to collect the cards.

And yeah, save your R stickers for the next big update.

i need serious advice here
i bought alter nozomi from amiami and it came with the top long cloth thing at the top hand broken
pic from mfc, not me, for reference
i want to know what amiami can/will do for me because something tells me they wont refund this or anything

this was 211$ cad, so it made a pretty big dent in my wallet and i'm not pleased
Doesn't EMS have some kind of insurance? I assume they'd ask you to ship it back to them though...

m0t0k1

SAL registered

From what i know is that SAL registered is insured up to 6000 yen. So try to contact at least ami ami and see what they can do for you. maybe you get a part refund but at least it is something. Maybe you can sell the broken fig for some money after that and break even. It sucks to see that happen. Hope things will sort out.

Anony

i wish fig ot was still here

i checked japan post's tracking and it's hasnt updated since it's left japan, i'm tempted to say it's lost in mail, but it's sal they're just gonna tell me to wait for it

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I forwarded the question to Figure GAF Line and they said it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on the MFC page as it's a common problem so someone there may find a salutation. But you should definitely try contacting both AmiAmi and Alter.

Crescent-

I agree with firehawk and say you should probably wait till the big update (4.0 wasn't it? I forgot). Sorry if my explanation is long beforehand.

First, because they alternate events between Muse and Aqours now so songs used in the events aren't as boring. I think the reason why songs aren't as varied between events is because they need to have "easy" and "hard" songs in the pools, and the easier songs are very limited (Pure Girls Project and Moshimo Kara Kitto for pure as an example) which is why they appear very frequently.

Second, school idol skills being implemented, which is exactly (quoting yourself) "something else to grind for (maybe items we could equip it our idols to improve their stats?)." Though it is still RNG, I think it adds a different dimension to the game, for example choosing between using seals to get blue tickets or re-idolizing an SR to increase the skill slots of the card.

Third, idolization using seals is another way to add "goals" to the game. Since the quality of the event cards' art seems to be lowered (or maybe it's just me not liking it, dunno) I've been tiering events simply to gain silver seals to idolize my URs, knowing I most probably won't use the SRs for my team since they aren't strong enough anyways. This is just me as an example, could be different for you though.

tl;dr: imo you should wait for the next big update in EN since it addresses some issues with the game you're mentioning. Here's the full update log for JP if you haven't read it yet: http://love-live.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Live!_School_idol_festival_(JP)_Updates, scroll down to the June 22 and 29 updates. Hopefully it clears things up for you a bit!

I just got hooked into Love Live a week and a half ago. Started getting addicted from the Snow Halation memes by SiIvaGunner Rips (TM), and then proceeded to watch both OG seasons, the movie, and caught up with Sunshine. Currently lvl 28 on the mobile game, binged seiyuu videos, and ordered two (cheap) figures.

Just sucks that I got into it a few months after μ’s was retired, and I'm feeling really sad about it. Kinda wished I was with the zeitgeist, you know.

Greetings, LoveLive GAF! Help me escape this idol hell, zura!

chrono01

I agree with firehawk and say you should probably wait till the big update (4.0 wasn't it? I forgot). Sorry if my explanation is long beforehand.

First, because they alternate events between Muse and Aqours now so songs used in the events aren't as boring. I think the reason why songs aren't as varied between events is because they need to have "easy" and "hard" songs in the pools, and the easier songs are very limited (Pure Girls Project and Moshimo Kara Kitto for pure as an example) which is why they appear very frequently.

Second, school idol skills being implemented, which is exactly (quoting yourself) "something else to grind for (maybe items we could equip it our idols to improve their stats?)." Though it is still RNG, I think it adds a different dimension to the game, for example choosing between using seals to get blue tickets or re-idolizing an SR to increase the skill slots of the card.

Third, idolization using seals is another way to add "goals" to the game. Since the quality of the event cards' art seems to be lowered (or maybe it's just me not liking it, dunno) I've been tiering events simply to gain silver seals to idolize my URs, knowing I most probably won't use the SRs for my team since they aren't strong enough anyways. This is just me as an example, could be different for you though.

tl;dr: imo you should wait for the next big update in EN since it addresses some issues with the game you're mentioning. Here's the full update log for JP if you haven't read it yet: http://love-live.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Live!_School_idol_festival_(JP)_Updates, scroll down to the June 22 and 29 updates. Hopefully it clears things up for you a bit!
Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the write-up, it's appreciated! It sounds like I have some nice stuff to look forward to, so I'll just remain patient. :)

I just got hooked into Love Live a week and a half ago. Started getting addicted from the Snow Halation memes by SiIvaGunner Rips (TM), and then proceeded to watch both OG seasons, the movie, and caught up with Sunshine. Currently lvl 28 on the mobile game, binged seiyuu videos, and ordered two (cheap) figures.

Just sucks that I got into it a few months after μ’s was retired, and I'm feeling really sad about it. Kinda wished I was with the zeitgeist, you know.

Welcome!

There's no escaping this Idol Hell. Enjoy yourself.

There is no escape from idol hell, only despair for you and your wallet zura!

Hachitora

Almost the next episode and I still haven't written anything for episode 9, whoops :p I'll get to it eventually.

Welcome to the never-ending
hell
party! Looks like you're already pretty well-into all the different LL stuff :p

Anony

you just ruined your life, congrats!

you just ruined your life, congrats!

I would be alright doing that to the sound of dope-ass J-pop goodness.

BUT SUNSHINE THO. I am really loving it so far.
The character interactions have a bit more dimensionality than the original series, and the setting really makes me nostalgic, having also grown up on a coastal town.

Even though a lot of plot points are getting rehashed, the characters are so much fun.

I'm not sure how well it is being received compared to the original, though it would be sad if Sunshine doesn't succeed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sunshine will not do as well as the original on the simple basis that Chika's hairdo just isn't as good as Honoka's.

elhaym

こんにちはずら!

Just wait until you get into importing all the magazines, books, and live concerts too. =p

There is no escape!

Hachitora

Sunshine Ep 9 Thoughts

As someone who was pretty interested in the 3rd year storyline, I thought that this conclusion was pretty great. Aqours seems to really like giving us relatable problems, and what happened with the 3rd years was indeed pretty relatable. The main thing that broke them apart was a lack of communication between Kanan and Mari. Learning that Kanan's reasoning for quitting the group was for Mari's sake adds a little bit of character to our little angst-lord, and shows a bit of her "motherly" character traits you see in Dengeki issues. Seeing how much the 3rd years really care for each other (mostly just Kanan and Mari) was touching.

A small little thing that I appreciated was seeing Chika put her foot down when she saw the 3rd years bickering. It's something I don't remember Honoka doing, and it really makes Chika seem more like a leader. If it wasn't for her, they probably wouldn't have resolved this drama (alongside Yohane's bodylocks).

Mari cares super-duper deeply for Kanan, and man does it show. She looked so hurt when she found out it was basically all her fault that Kanan gave up the idol stuff, and seeing her struggle and run in the rain just to make things up with her was sweet. Gonna go all English-essay here, but Mari tripping and falling while running back to school and then picking herself back up afterwards shows that this time, she's not going to let anything stop her from her goal. She, as well as the other 3rd years, are going to pick themselves back up and get back into the game, following in the other 6's footsteps.

The final song was nice. Seeing all 9 of them singing was A+, and Kanan center is much needed spotlight. Sidenote: I liked how Osanajimi Squad (YouKanaChika) were the center trio. Hopefully we see more bonding between these three. Not to mention more of the 3rd years interacting with everyone else. The CG in this song man. The close-up of Dia had some pretty baller CG, and I hope that the rest of the dance numbers look this good.

I hope that the remaining few episodes really throw us a bunch of amazing character interactions now that we've got the full squad rolled in. Hoping for a 2nd season so that we can get much needed time for the 9 of them to show off their chemistry. Also where that KimiKoko performance at

Sunshine will not do as well as the original on the simple basis that Chika's hairdo just isn't as good as Honoka's.

Actually yeah.

Honestly, I like Aqours' character design as it makes them feel a little more grounded compared to cast of μ's designed as perfect bishoujo archetypes. They feel a little more like underdogs jumping into a new world. Their personalities definitely make up for any flaws though.

Wow. As enjoyable as the episode was to watch, it sure is some gigantic bullshit that they expect us to believe that Aqours can somehow manage to get 0 votes. This is the same group that jumped fucking 3,903 ranks in one and a half episodes (4,768->953 between during episodes 5 and 6) and jumped another 854 by episode 7 to reach rank 99. This kind of absurd instant popularity for doing almost nothing was so hard to accept in its own, but now they expect us to believe that the school idol world is still somehow so cutthroat that they can get 0 votes with the next rank still somehow getting 23. I love the idea of Step! ZERO to ONE here, but that combined with the fact that they return like they've completely failed is just baffling. On it's own, this episode and the 0 votes thing are great, but the stuff from before really brought it down for me. They're telling a rise to fame story that's at complete odds with itself.

I am loving this show so much, but this is actively hurting my enjoyment each episode.

Top Bottom