• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest * unmarked spoilers!* "oh god's no!"

Elven_Star

How are Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? I'm specifically interested in their Dolphin performance. Do they have good story and gameplay? How about the music?

P.S.: Sorry if it's off-topic, but making another thread just for this doesn't make much sense.

Aters

How are Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? I'm specifically interested in their Dolphin performance. Do they have good story and gameplay? How about the music?

P.S.: Sorry if it's off-topic, but making another thread just for this doesn't make much sense.

To me both games are infinitely better than the 3DS ones. I think Dolphin works fine with them.

Path of Radiance is my jam, easily my favourite FE game.
The plot while mostly standard fare is done so in a way that makes it and the characters within engaging, music is solid, good map variety without going overboard on gimmicks or being too basic like Awakening.
Pretty much hits the mark in every area, well except visuals because it ain't great.

Radiant Dawn is an interesting experimental sequel that does a lot to mix things up, it doesn't always pan out but it's still pretty good. It's also got a reverse difficulty curve going on.

Golnei

Actual sound quality and arguably sound design (particularly how the battle and enemy phase music is handled) aren't as good as the 3DS games, but the composition is still strong. I can't recall any particular problems Dolphin has with them either. As far as the story goes, 9 has my favourite in the series; RD is...not quite as good, but it doesn't fall to the level of Fates.

Pretty much hits the mark in every area, well except visuals because it ain't great.

tumblr_o9bi8vxyi31sz8tczo1_500.png

...I actually think the map models are sort of cute, but there's no way to deny they're rough at best.

Elven_Star

To me both games are infinitely better than the 3DS ones. I think Dolphin works fine with them.

Path of Radiance is my jam, easily my favourite FE game.
The plot while mostly standard fare is done so in a way that makes it and the characters within engaging, music is solid, good map variety without going overboard on gimmicks or being too basic like Awakening.

Radiant Dawn is an interesting experimental sequel that does a lot to mix things up, it doesn't always pan out but it's still pretty good. It's also got a reverse difficulty curve going on.

Actual sound quality and arguably sound design (particularly how the battle and enemy phase music is handled) aren't as good as the 3DS games, but the composition is still strong. I can't recall any particular problems Dolphin has with them either. As far as the story goes, 9 has my favourite in the series; RD is...not quite as good, but it doesn't fall to the level of Fates.

...I actually think the map models are sort of cute, but there's no way to deny they're rough at best.

Thank you, guys.

NeonZ

Revelation should have been an expanded version of the Heirs of Fates DLC. Logistically, that's completely impossible since Heirs of Fates was made afterwards and wasn't by the original staff (They went with Awakening's main writer and the new illustrations weren't by the actual character designer), but it just works much better as a finale to everything than Revelation.

The story of conquest was absolutely terrible. Especially with how Corrin is written. His/Her character is utter garbage and his/her reasoning for fighting or not fighting is the worst I have seen in the series. Birthright in terms of story is much better and do not get me started on the equally train wreck of Revelations. In terms of gameplay Conquest and it's map designs are among the best in the series however.

If Conquest or Fire Emblem Fates in general had the story of either Genealogy or the Tellius series with the map design and gameplay of Fates, in particular Conquest, this would be the best Fire Emblem game of all time.

CazTGG

Path of Radiance: Play it

Path of Radiance is a contender for the best game in the series, only beaten by Fire Emblem (7) and, depending on who you ask, Seisen No Keifu/Thracia 776/Conquest. The map design is both varied and very clever in how it presents the stages like a puzzle to solve one piece at a time while base operations are an excellent evolution of the support system that, frankly, should have stuck around in later entries with the same dedication to fleshing out the characters instead of Awakening's "gosh it's midnight, go to be-ooh look, I found this object and also my stats are increased for the next battle". The laguz are less interesting mechanically and better serve the narrative by keeping the discussion of segregation and bigotry in the front, but the story itself, with the best character for any lead in a Fire Emblem game. The only notable faults to be found are in the presentation. It's no surprise there were rumors floating around that PoR was originally Fire Emblem 64 this because the visuals would look right at home on that console, with generally muddy textures that look all the worse when considering how finely designed Senri's artwork for the characters happens to be. While some might praise the soundtrack after the last three entries had to suffer with the GameBoy Advance's awful sound chip, i'm in the minority in finding it to be a mixture of genuinely pleasing tunes while others are just awful. Still, those faults are minor and don't make it nay less worth giving it a look if they ever release it on Virtual Console/in a "Tellius Collected" HD editions.

Radiant Dawn: Skip it

This game is completely unbalanced bile unfit for even the most starved strategy RPG players. Its maps designs have neat ideas like higher terrain advantage and bringing back the leadership mechanic from Seisen No Keifu (because every Fire Emblem game seems to be developed with the mindset that it's in the shadows of that one) that, on paper, could have been put to great use, but are bogged down by . As for the story, while it brings back favorites from Path of Radiance, what it does with them is largely retread the same plot points and threads from Path of Radiance with incredibly dissatisfying results at best. At worst, it's a cavalcade of cliches with characters that possess what barely qualifies as personality that turns into an intellectually insulting Megami Tensei wannabe with its talk of needing or the lack thereof for deities. It's one of the worst sequels i've played and easily the worst Fire Emblem game released to date.

Elven_Star

Path of Radiance is a contender for the best game in the series, only beaten by Fire Emblem (7) and, depending on who you ask, Seisen No Keifu/Thracia 776/Conquest. The map design is both varied and very clever in how it presents the stages like a puzzle to solve one piece at a time while base operations are an excellent evolution of the support system that, frankly, should have stuck around in later entries with the same dedication to fleshing out the characters instead of Awakening's "gosh it's midnight, go to be-ooh look, I found this object and also my stats are increased for the next battle". The laguz are less interesting mechanically and better serve the narrative by keeping the discussion of segregation and bigotry in the front, but the story itself, with the best character for any lead in a Fire Emblem game. The only notable faults to be found are in the presentation. It's no surprise there were rumors floating around that PoR was originally Fire Emblem 64 this because the visuals would look right at home on that console, with generally muddy textures that look all the worse when considering how finely designed Senri's artwork for the characters happens to be. While some might praise the soundtrack after the last three entries had to suffer with the GameBoy Advance's awful sound chip, i'm in the minority in finding it to be a mixture of genuinely pleasing tunes while others are just awful. Still, those faults are minor and don't make it nay less worth giving it a look if they ever release it on Virtual Console/in a "Tellius Collected" HD editions.

This game is completely unbalanced bile unfit for even the most starved strategy RPG players. Its maps designs have neat ideas like higher terrain advantage and bringing back the leadership mechanic from Seisen No Keifu (because every Fire Emblem game seems to be developed with the mindset that it's in the shadows of that one) that, on paper, could have been put to great use, but are bogged down by . As for the story, while it brings back favorites from Path of Radiance, what it does with them is largely retread the same plot points and threads from Path of Radiance with incredibly dissatisfying results at best. At worst, it's a cavalcade of cliches with characters that possess what barely qualifies as personality that turns into an intellectually insulting Megami Tensei wannabe with its talk of needing or the lack thereof for deities. It's one of the worst sequels i've played and easily the worst Fire Emblem game released to date.

Thank you for taking the time to get into such detail. You've probably saved me from a huge disappointment.

One thing that people sometimes gloss over PoR and RD compared to the 3DS/GBA/SNES games is that they're slow games (well specifically PoR and its the reason I never made that far in my initial playthrough of PoR). Otherwise, people seem to love them.
I see. Well, that's to be expected considering the nature of handheld gaming in general. I don't mind slow games, personally.

Draxal

One thing that people sometimes gloss over PoR and RD compared to the 3DS/GBA/SNES games is that they're slow games (well specifically PoR and its the reason I never made that far in my initial playthrough of PoR). Otherwise, people seem to love them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for taking the time to get into such detail. You've probably saved me from a huge disappointment.

I see. Well, that's to be expected considering the nature of handheld gaming in general. I don't mind slow games, personally.

For what it's worth that isn't a unanimous opinion on Radiant Dawn. It definitely has its flaws (most notably the wonky difficulty curve) but I'd say it's absolutely worth playing if you can get your hands on it. Personally I wouldn't put it below 4th worst among the games I've played, it's at least ahead of Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragon, and Awakening.

Hero

Pretty much agree, although honestly Ike is such a badass it's kind of fun with him in Radiant Dawn.

Top Bottom