• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Halo Trilogy Campaigns

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is actually a megareview made by Generic, who nobody knows anyway! He wanted me to post this for discussion, and it doesn't really fit into the halo thread open right now.

In anticipation for Halo 3: ODST, the urge to play Halo 3 struck me a while ago. When it did, I thought "Hey, why not play the entire trilogy while I'm at it." So, here I am, having recently played Halo: Combat Evolved (twice), Halo 2 (twice), and Halo 3 (many times), and I wanted to share my thoughts on this famous series. Given this series has been picked apart to hell by now, I doubt any revelations will be made here, but I still wanted to put my thoughts down. And, in case you're wondering why I played each multiple times, it's because I've learned that Halo is the type of game you need to play more than once to fully appreciate. Few things you should know: I was not able to get online for neither Halo 1 nor 2, so I never cooped or played online against people in it. Having talked to some people, co-op can make even the worst parts of campaign a drag and online was what made Halo 2. But since I never could access areas, I can only tell my opinion from a solo campaign point of view.

Halo: Combat Evolved
Despite the hype surrounding this game, I have never actually played it until recently because for a very long time, I hated the FPS genre, but I eventually got into it. At the very least, I expected a very different sort of game from it than Halo 3. And, for the most part, that was exactly what I got.

First, let me note that Halo: Combat Evolved may have one of the best openings of any game ever. Presentation wise, anyway. You just got out of your cryo-sleep thing, and as soon as a quick tutorial with aiming is done, you see an elite come in and kill one of the instructors. Then, you spend the rest of the level running with chaos all around you as the aliens are invading the ship, and you have no weapon. Though you're never in any real danger of dying, with everything going on, and the enemies all around you, it certainly feels like it. It set the atmosphere, depicted the enemies perfectly, and was actually pretty exciting.

Once I got into the game, there are many things to praise about it. While I don't think the graphics themselves held up especially well, the design of the levels is just HUGE. I typically don't see environments this big in games that aren't open world, or often they are cluttered with things that can narrow the number of ways you can approach a situation. No such thing here. You can snipe them from afar or you can take a shotgun and sneak around for a nice surprise, you can lob grenades from the safety of cover, or use the otherwise useless marines as bait and flank. Ride the ghost, a wart hog (or try to at least, if you're playing with an AI), the banshee, or the scorpion (and, man, is the Scorpion fun). When the Flood is discovered, grab the attention of one enemy faction and lead them straight into another, sneak away, and wait until one kills and trample the weakened enemy. If the objective is not to defeat an enemy but something else (like reach a certain waypoint or location), you can simply by pass the enemy by clever maneuvering.

Sometimes, you can catch the enemy off guard and stealthily knock them out using melee. Often though, you will be using combinations of these to win a battle. And, of course, because of the huge environments, even if you use the same tactic when replaying a level, if you are in a different position, the fight will play out differently. The simple act of approaching from the left side rather than the right completely changes the scenario because 1. The enemy is not facing you as they were and may not see you coming 2. You will fight the enemies in a different order than you did before 3. You may pick up different weapons/power up/vehicles 4. You'll have different cover (or no cover at all) and 5. Any varying factor I may have forgotten.

The AI is very advanced. Each enemy appropriately reacts to my actions, the level design and battlefield status. Enemies will retreat and find cover when they feel that they are outgunned, they acknowledge that there are enemies other than you they must fight (making the bait and other enemy distractions possible strategies possible), they use formations to an extent (Jackals in back, grunts up front, Elites wherever they feel is the best vantage point). They react appropriately to whatever environment they are in and whatever your doing. If you decide to hide out in a fortress, they will come after you. They may or may not decide if you are larger threat depending on the battlefield status. They know to dodge a grenade if one if thrown their way. The best combinations are when a number of elites come at you at once, as they are all capable warriors, you have to watch out for all of them.

With such a wide arsenal of weaponry, huge open levels with a variety of entry points, and enemy AI that can actually react to what you are doing to such an extent, Halo is a unique situation every time. No two playthroughs are quite alike. This kind of open-endedness is nothing short of beautiful, and it serves to create memorable epic moments on a regular basis.

The game isn't perfect, however. The main issues: The graphics have not aged well, in my opinion(and I'm running the game on the highest possible settings), copy and paste level design, and the Flood. The hitboxs are strange and don't always work and the vehicles and physics engine are very underdeveloped. The animations are very stiff and the textures are horrid (my eyes bleed whenever I see MC's visor). However, I should point out that the game does have at least some aesthetically pleasing moments, like looking up the planet size inner band of the Halo ring or the way Guilty Spark shines in the distance is surprisingly impressive. Beyond that though, little looks very good. The recycled environments are, once again, the absence of a decent budget for good production values.

Most of the missions require backtracking in some fashion and I don't mind that too much, but the number of times the interior environments are repeated is nothing short of ridiculous. An entire third of the game consists of the same level, over and over again. What saves it from being unbearable is that it's still wide, allowing a choice in how to approach situations (even if the choice is narrowed due to the Flood's resistance to Covenant weaponry) and it's not that easy to get lost because Guilty spark is relatively easy to find. But it was still an utter drag to play through. If the gameplay hadn't been so open ended, this would have been one of the most tedious games in existence.

I think is the Flood is the worst flaw in the Halo series, which is ironic because the Flood is the core reason for everything happening in Halo. It's because of the Flood that Halo exists, that the Forerunners are gone, and that the Covenant exists and wants to wipe out humanity. Clearly, they are integral to the Halo Universe. Gameplay-wise, the Flood adds variety. You cannot fight the Flood the same way you fight the Covenant. My problem with them is that they are so completely uninteresting to fight against or look at. Compared to the Covenant enemies, who actually think and use tactics, all the Flood ever do is swarm you. On top of that, Covenant weapons are pretty useless on them, so you are stuck to the pistol, the assault rifle, the rocket launcher and the shotgun. And with a 2 weapon limit and limited ammo, taking the rocket launcher would be stupid. So you have 3 practical choices of weapons against an ever repeating swarming cycle of dealing with 3 types of enemies (the spore form, the combat form, and the carrier form), all of which do nothing but swarm you. They aren't even visually interesting like the Covenant enemies either.

Whenever I see them, all I see is a pale yellowing blob. Because they all use the same swarming tactic, even though I read on Halopedia that Elite Combat and Human Combat forms look and play differently, I seriously never noticed it, and I still I couldn't tell you from memory what the gameplay differences are despite playing all 3 games at least 2 times each. I understand Bungie's reasons for creating them the way they are, but I wish Bungie had thought up of a different way of playing against them.

I should probably also point out that the nearly all weapons are horribly imbalanced. The pistol is the most blatant of them, with how it can be used to snipe and can take down enemies with a few shots. The plasma pistol is notorious as well, since a full charge homes in on an enemy and can either fully take their shield out or kill them with one hit. The shot gun has an amazingly large range of fire, and the sniper can typically take out an enemy in 1 or 2 shots with a very rapid fire rate, and tank kills everything (though, I guess it's meant to make the player to feel unbelievably powerful, the player still should be in some danger). I suppose this isn't as noticeable in campaign gameplay because most enemies have higher hit points, and greater numbers than you so the fights last longer, but it's still somewhat grating and I can only imagine how horribly unbalanced the game was online.

Still, this was a solid ride from start to end. I don't think there was a single mission that I can say I disliked. Maybe the middle 3rd of the game dragged a bit for me for reasons already explained, but it was bearable. And the levels can be downright amazing when they want to be, like Halo (the level), Truth and Reconciliation, and the Silent Cartographer (I especially love this one). But what the game succeeds in most is just making you feel like a badass. At certain points in nearly all levels, you get a new objective and this awesome music starts up. You know an epic battle is heading your way and you are ready for it. You check your equipment and head out, ready to take on whatever alien is stupid enough to stand in your way. It's a just a feeling of heroism you rarely feel in other games.

I feel I should note that this game gets much harder in the last few levels. It's obvious that the game would get more difficult as you progressed through it, but it's more than that. The Grunts and Elites are of the highest level and you get thrown much more difficult situations than you'd expect (Like in one part taking on 2 wraiths, 10 grunts with 2 mounted turrets, 10 Flood enemies with 2 rocket launchers). Beyond giving a sense of real progress, this gives out the level of challenge I felt in Halo 3's Heroic difficulty. Other than that you got tougher enemies to deal with, I never really felt this much of a jump in difficulty in Halo 2 or 3, which is a disappointment.

I felt that the story was one of the weakest parts of the game. This is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, it's just that it felt more like everything happening in the story just a justification for whatever the objective in your mission is. In that sense, I honestly felt that this was the perfect type of story for this particular game, because Halo really is all about the gameplay. Still, when I gave it more attention, I began to notice more subtle themes in the story that I didn't notice at first. Mainly, it portrays just how desperate humanity is. It starts off running away from the Covenant, you have to rescue troops constantly, and Cortana often comments on clever tactics the Covenant uses. There is also the feel that most victories have a pyrrhic or bittersweet quality to them. Just using the ending as an example, you have to kill everyone on the ring for the greater good. It doesn't exactly evoke much emotion from me, but it does say exactly how much must be sacrificed for victory. However, keep in mind that I have been spoiled to everything in Halo's storyline for quite some time now, so the betrayal of Guilty Spark, the Rings purpose, etc, it may have affected me differently had I not known about it all.

Overall, Halo: Combat Evolved is great. It succeeds in many areas, gameplay most of all. This is the sort of game that can be played 10 times and be a unique experience each time. It's the kind of game that you remember for years on end. It's earned its place in history.

Halo 2
I still remember the immense hate Halo 2 suffered when it first came out. I rented it due to hype. I was immensely bored with it, but I believe that had more to do with my disinterest in FPS games in general at the time. Having a chance to step back into it with more experience under my belt, my feelings have changed. I will say that the general distaste that so many gamers felt with it is valid in many ways. However, Halo 2 made plenty of advances in the series, and this should not be ignored.
I am happy to say the repetitive environments are mostly gone. Most levels are unique and they all have a clear sense of progress. Rooms are now distinguishable from one another, and the level of detail has been upped by 10. Aside from the graphical upgrade, it seems they got an artistic one too. Just compare the training rooms (where the training guy tests your ability to move the analog stick and recover your shield) of both Halo's and you will notice that not only does everything look better, but it also feels more authentic. There are things scattered around the desk, a sign of a lazy (or at least messy) armory keeper. The walls now hold weapons and there are no more wide open spaces of emptiness. For lack of a better word, it feels alive.

You know what's missing, though? The huge, wide open levels! Where are they? Very few levels exist throughout the game where you are just on a huge field, and when they do, they are almost always designed for vehicle use. I can definitely see where they were going with this, after all, this gives a much more cinematic feel to gameplay, it allows for easier tactical maneuverability, and in some cases even allows for different kinds of tactics than an huge environment would allow. And it's not like the levels themselves are small. They are rather large, in fact, but often somewhat more crowded with various objects (which, again, gives each room a sense of purpose and allows different tactics to take place). However, the fact that this makes the game generally more linear is undisputable, and I can sympathize with the gamers disappointment when they found no huge wide open areas from the first Halo.

However, they managed to keep their open world feeling by giving you a huge new arsenal. They added a bunch of new weapons and vehicles, plus a lot of equipment we saw in Halo 1 but never got to play (Energy sword, Fuel Rod Cannon and Wraith) were made available. Beyond that, they reworked nearly all weapons to give a much more even experience. I understand that many people were pissed off about the pistol no longer being a mini-sniper, but I don't really understand why because they got the battle rifle now, which virtually functions the same way, except now it's more balanced. The vehicles all got major upgrades in arsenal, making them much more effective, plus the physics engine makes them drive far more realistically.

The enemies have undergone a good deal of changes as well. New Covenant enemies have been added and existing ones have been given new abilities. Jackals now act as snipers as well as shields, Drones and Brutes are introduced. The Hunter probably have the biggest change, making them much more deadly with the backhand attack, eliminating the easy "get behind him" tactic. Unfortunately, Elites are no longer as reactive to grenades as they once were. They used to jump at the very sight of them, and for good reason. Now, it's much easier to stick them or get them caught in the explosion.

As far as the general campaign goes,...I have many things to say on it, really. First, let me say that I honestly and seriously feel that the entire first section starring Master Chief are some of the very best levels in the entire Halo series. As soon as you finish the bomb cutscene and get back on Earth. Of all the levels in Halo 2, this seems to be the most open-ended and varied. You defend a station from an onslaught of enemies, take a drive along the beach, have a thrilling race using armed vehicles through tunnels (though this part would have been so much better with multiple pathways), then after an absolutely EPIC bridge sequence in a tank, you get a warthog with a gauss cannon and take out a bunch of Wraiths on the streets of a major city, before it's time to take down a Scarab then seeing one of the most cinematic explosions of all time. It's just an hour of unfiltered awesomeness on steroids. It's what the entire game should have been made of.

Now, I'm not one of the people who hated playing as the Arbiter (on a gameplay level, anyway), but as you keep going through the campaign, the deterioration in quality becomes more and more apparent. The first Arbiter section and second Master Chief sections weren't too bad (in fact, I enjoyed them quite much), but by the time you get to the "Retrieve the Sacred Icon" missions, the decrease in quality was quite apparent. I remember somewhat repetitive game design, the Flood, very crowded interior levels, plenty of deaths from having nowhere to run to for cover, annoying Enforcers who took forever to die. Then you get Master Chief in High Charity going through small, repetitive corridors with very little freedom and maneuverability. (Also, small room, 2 hunters. Rage.). THEN you have to backtrack. Except now it's full of Flood. I felt the last levels with the Arbiter were a step up, but too little too late.

Admittedly, nearly all the levels had moments here or there that were really fun, like taking a tank against the Flood in the Sacred Icon mission, or the part where Breaking Benjamin kicks in, and having the Hunters as allies was awesome. But after having a first level that was epic win after epic win, it set a standard that the rest of the game couldn't match. And as you went through the game, those incredible moments became further and further apart until it culminated, near the end with Master Chief, where I didn't even feel the game was fun anymore. The last Arbiter level saved it from ending on a bitter note (again, gameplay-wise only), but it shouldn't have sunk that low in the first place.
I feel I have to mention I know lots of people hated the boss fights, but honesty, I don't see what the big deal was. Each one of them could be beaten within 20 seconds or less on normal difficulty. Maybe they were grating on other difficulties or something, but they were all easy in my experience.

The story of Halo 2 is one of the worst (best?) examples of brilliant concepts executed in horribly wrong ways I've ever seen. The story of an antagonist working for a corrupt theocracy and later defecting after finding out the truth is a great concept because it'd involve ALOT of character in the Arbiter development to make this a believable turn, but it'd be really moving if done correctly. However, because it's an 8-10 hour game, with half of it being Chief's, this is overly simplified. Instead of having the Covenant be corrupt, they are cartoonish and superficially evil. Which leads to some really stupid decisions that would have horrible consequences if they were looked at realistically. Such as-

While Regret may have screwed up by going to Earth, killing him would do nothing but demoralize the Covenant, and once the public found out that Truth pulled the Elites from the rescue, there'd be an outrage and Truth would be called a traitor for doing this. And I cannot even think of a reason why Truth betray Mercy that way. And as far as "The Great Schism" as cannon likes to call it, what was the point of replacing Brutes with Elites? Especially when the Arbiter has proven to be one of the most capable fighters in the Covenant? Why couldn't they have both positioned as the Honor Guards? Halopedia suggest Truth did it because the Brutes asked less questions, but other than the most stupid shit that the prophets pull (like pulling out the rescue, and then blaming the Elites for what happened), they don't seem to complain much. The Arbiter himself considers himself as good as dead because he couldn't protect Halo, even if there was obviously nothing he could do. Keep in mind, that for pacing purposes, I'm trying to keep my complaints about it short, as most of you know why the story sucks, but I could literally go on for hours. And, unlike Halo 1, I keep getting the feeling that we are suppose to think that this story is great and deep and amazing, and we are actually suppose to take this tripe seriously.

The main problems come from the Arbiter. Master Chief's story is just "Those guys are attacking, and you need to stop them. Get to it." And that's all that was ever needed. I suppose Bungie was going for some complexity, but if they wanted to do that, bite the bullet, throw out master Chief, give the Arbiter a whole game and actually spend time in a believable manner.

Oh, and Gravemind. Again, a good idea, but...well, I believe it would have worked better if we had never seen him. Mostly, because it would have presented him as more godlike, and intimidating. As it stands....he's just a big plant thing. Not nearly as effective. He gets the coolest lines though. "There is much talk, and I have listened, through rock and metal and time. Now I shall talk, and you shall listen.."

For all my complaining, there are redeemable parts, especially in presentation. The opening, for example, was very impressive and it set up both characters rather nicely (though it was marred by the Arbiter's pathetic roar, which is very perplexing because he was VA'd by Keith David. Goliath from Gargoyles, people. How they botched that winning formula is beyond me.) and the first part of the level just after the Elites are betrayed set up a really nice scene. The music playing, the way you heard Brutes slaughter your friends, etc. Despite not liking the Arbiter, that was a really effective scene for me.

Between the nonsensical story that they somehow expected us to take seriously, the lame secondary character, the steadily deteriorating quality of the campaign, and, of course, the utter BULLSHIT of an ending (yeah, even though Halo 3 was the first game I played and I knew the story, I still felt cheated), and how the level design is so radically different from Halo 1, I can definitely see how fans got alienated by the campaign. However, I still feel that Halo 2 deserves praise for what it does do right. It really advanced lots of things, especially in the weapon balancing department. Overall, I can't say that it's more than an decent experience, which is hardly up to the incredible standards Halo 1 set. However, when it does do things right (like the entire first Master Chief section) it does things right.

Veelk

Banned
Halo 3

This is the game that really got me into Halo. As I mentioned before, you need to play Halo 3 multiple times to truly appreciate it, because when I first played, I didn't like it very much at all. I played on Normal and felt that it was an overall average experience. However, on some blue moon, I got the urge to play through again, and this time I tried playing Heroic and I was amazed what a difference it made. Not only was it challenging, but I really saw how much flexibility I had with the combat. I noticed other things, like the amazing AI it sported, and the very advanced lighting system, and just how satisfying those 10 seconds of fun repeated over and over really are. I've played through it 6 times now, and I still find a new way to take enemies down and tackle situations. And now, having experienced Halo 1 and 2, I can see just how far Halo 3 as really come.

I also have a better idea of where Halo 3 has come for Halo fans. To many, the Brutes do not have the same impact as the Elites do. There are also no times where you face the Covenant and the Flood simultaneously, so it's disappointing to see no times where you can just sit back and watch while your enemies destroy each other (well, except near the end of the Covenant level, but that doesn't count since they are you allies at the time). The game can also be considered too easy on normal difficulty, to which I can agree. There are also no Arbiter chapters here. While this may be considered a plus by many, I'm of the belief that when something is wrong, you don't throw it away, you fix it. The Arbiter is different than he was in Halo 2, and that should have been explored. I'd, at the very least, would have enjoyed playing him to see what he's up to whenever the chief was on his own. Not have him take over the story, but play the parts that give closure to his feelings. Gravemind also never makes any appearance at all either, which is a disappointment as we lost a potential boss fight. (since we already saw him, there is no point in keeping him hidden). The story goes back to being little more than a justification for all the action (I actually consider this a good thing, but others might not) and there are many wasted cinematic moments (for example, we never get to see the Ark in full from outer space, nor do we get to see the huge explosion at the end). There are lots of continuity errors and plenty of missed opportunities (like when the Flood take over a Brute Chieftain, he somehow losses his armor and become a brute minor. A great opportunity for an advanced Flood form to arise, wasted). The Cortana/Gravemind moments were annoying. And Cortana is probably the worst level in the entirety of Halo's history.

Despite all this, I still believe that this is the best and most complete Halo Campaign. The campaign starts off decently in the first level, and builds from that. I always felt that each level was better than the last, with each of them containing more and more moments of greatness. That's not to say that each level was an amazing thrill of epic proportions, but rather than constantly degrade as the game went on ala Halo 2, it constantly improved. It only faltered at the end, with the near unbearable Cortana level and the fight up the Control tower, which could have easily been more satisfying if it had more variety instead of just "Kill flood, go upstairs, repeat until door opens at the top". Still, it ended on a very epic note with the final warthog drive (which I feel is superior to its Halo 1 counterpart).

Unlike most of Halo 3, the storyline is one of the few things I have not come to appreciate in my multiple playthroughs. It seems rushed, and there just so Master Chief has an excuse to play through the levels he plays through. And really? That's fine by me. When Bungie tried to let the story take the lead over the gameplay, Halo 2 is what resulted. I believe that Halo is a gameplay centric game, so the more is done to accommodate the gameplay, the better. However, the Halo universe is still a fascinating place, and that is why I recommend that everyone who has not done so, go and read the terminals, particularly 1-5 where Gravemind convinces Mendicant Bias, through simple but sound logic, that the Flood is the next step in evolution and has him go rampant. And despite hating the Flood, I really do enjoy a lot Gravemind's dialogue and his interesting personality. The poor guy honestly doesn't seem to understand why we all don't want to join with him. This is interesting because Gravemind is nothing but the culmination of all the minds the Flood has taken over, so it implies that everyone who has joined are happy with him. It's a shame we don't have a decisive confrontation with him.

Graphics are a hit or a miss, depending on who you ask. When Halo 3 was announced to have sub -HD and no AA, people were worried. However, this did not happen because Bungie was lazy, but instead, they wanted to try something completely different. I presume that their logic was that since Halo's art direction didn't require a high amount of pixels and this was an opportunity to dazzle the audience in a way few games ever have, they decided to bump the resolution down to make way for the HDR lighting system. Now, on one hand, this really works and makes the game look nothing short of amazing at points, especially when a big vehicle like a Scarab explodes. And when you take to go into theater, and really look all the subtle effects, you know that Halo 3 is not a bad looking game. However, these subtle aren't usually apparent in gameplay, and what Halo does miss out on, mainly high resolution and AA, is. Whether this was the right decision, I cannot say, as I have not seen Halo 3 at a higher resolution with a normal lighting system. But I do know that Halo 3 can look fantastic when it wants to. I just find it odd that there were no missions taking place at night, because that's when it's advanced lighting system would be most apparent (plus, it would have been nice to have gotten a stealth mission, like in Halo 1). Oh, well, ODST seems to be doing just that. Still, more often than not, it's the presentation that matters more than just fine graphics, so when Miranda coming in close with the Forward Unto Dawn, I nearly felt the ground shaking and wind blowing past my face as the behemoth of the ship came down to deliver my tank.

But the gameplay in Halo 3 is something I've come to really cherish. First off, the weapons are more balanced than ever. You would be hard pressed to find a situation where you can't get past a fight because you don't have the proper equipment. Nearly everything can be used to take down almost anything, giving the player lots of options in how he plays his game without repeating itself.

I said before that some people might feel that the Brutes were not as good as the Elites were. To which, I can agree…to an extent. The Elites of Halo 2 are not much different than Halo 3 Brutes, so I find them an adequate replacement as far as they go. However, the Halo 1 Elites are still the best enemies because they were the most aggressive and most active. I just felt that because of the way they dodged your grenades, moved faster, etc made them the most engaging enemies to fight against. Not to mention that compared to Halo 2’s Brutes, they take much less damage and are much less….well, brutal. But, one thing they do that the Elites didn't is that they worked much better as a team. Brutes would go at you in pairs, try to flank you while another kept busy, if one was injured, he'd run for the safety of his pack, etc. But what really redeems the Brutes is the skulls. Equip Catch (makes them dodge) and Mythic(2x health), on heroic or greater, and it becomes a whole different game with them. I wish that the Brutes didn't need help in becoming as deadly as the Halo 1 Elites were, but once they are skulled up, they are definitely just worthy adversaries as their predecessors, maybe even more because they work much better as a team and they appear in greater numbers than Elites.

The best thing about the Brutes, though, coming into Halo is all the new toys they bring in, and I have to admit, I love them. Shredding an enemy with the Spiker, jumping them with a Mauler, meleeing them with a grenade launcher, and whacking helpless enemies around with a gravity hammer are very satisfying experiences. I also consider the Chopper to be the best light ground vehicle in the game, it's fun and satisfying as hell, even if it's a bitch to aim with. Still, the addition of the Spartan Laser, improvement of the Assault Rifle, and the UNSC vehicles (Hornet and Mongoose) are all notable additions to the game.

The level design is what I think Bungie has refined to perfection. In Halo 1, the levels were wide, but often empty and lifeless, and interior levels were repetitive and didn't offer as much freedom. Halo 2 drove for a much more cinematic experience, so they made them more linear and sometimes even cluttered. Halo 3, however, combines the 2 of these in a way that's cinematic and open ended. The entirety of Crow's Nest was an indoor level, but there were so many pathways and tools at your disposal, I constantly found new ways to take out my foes there. And the outdoor levels can be just as huge, sometimes even bigger than Halo 1's. They are often vehicle centric, but never so much so that you need a vehicle, and I have gotten the same experience Halo 1 offered by walking though huge levels.

All this makes the Cortana level look even worse in comparison. It is, by far, the single worst level in the Halo 3 campaign and the entire Halo trilogy. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst levels EVER, but it's pretty bad. It's not just that it's the Flood either, they somehow made the Flood enjoyable to fight in Floodgate. I enjoyed a Flood level, I was shocked. Cortana, however, has tight corridors with little space to maneuver, ridiculously long, repetitive and confusing environments, ludicrous amounts of Flood swarming you in small environments, the walls containing more Flood so it's difficult to use explosives (the best way to combat the Flood), enemies resurrect if bodies aren't destroyed and those FUCKING Ranged Pure Forms shooting at you from every angle, not letting you go anywhere. After a campaign that just kept getting better and better with every step, this level is especially grating. It's far worse than the Library, at least that gave you some room to maneuver.

But what Halo does best is exactly what Bungie's gaming philosophy was from the very beginning. "10 seconds of pure fun, repeated over and over again". And that is exactly what Halo 3 is. There is never a moment that this game this game does not try to dedicate to being fun. I could easily name awesome moments from each and every level (except maybe Cortana), but the best were the Ark and the Covenant. Opens with a sniper battle, then a fight against hunters. Then it's a long, fast-moving vehicle section in Prowlers, Ghosts, Choppers, whatever you need...then you get the tank. Its fifteen minutes of just blowing shit up. Next level, you need to take out Control towers, which are guarded Brutes, Grunts, Brutes, Hunters, more Brutes, many tanks, Brutes with Hammers, with Turrets, with Cannons, and then some more Brutes. And the more enemies, the more weapons you get, and indeed, you can get just about any weapon you need in this level. Between doing those things, you get a ridiculously fun Hornet section, and then a Tank to blow more shit up, before fighting two (TWO!) Scarabs.

And, I have to say, Scarabs are just...amazing to take down. Experimentation is the key, like using different types of weapons, vehicles, long and short distance fire, etc. It is so incredible to take out every enemy on board, destroying the core, and calmly walking away as the scarab explodes in a brilliant blue light behind you. How hysterical it is to rush to the core, without killing any enemies, and laugh at the poor souls panicking in their detonating super tank. But nothing can match the exhilaration I got from not killing any enemies except the bare minimum after landing my Hornet on top of the scarab, taking out the core, then running back to the scarab as it is exploding and doomed enemies on board doing their best to take me down with them, but as I enter my Air vehicle and fly away JUST as the damn thing explodes, barely outside the blade radius, pure gaming ecstasy is known.

To me, Halo 3 is the peak of the Halo series at this point. The weapons are the most balanced ever, the pacing is made so that it just gets better and better as the game goes on, it's more or less as open as the first Halo game was, and the game is fun 95% of the time. It brings together the fun, open world, huge level gameplay that was present in Halo 1 and combines it with the production values, balance, and the cinematic experience you get from Halo 2, then takes those things and ups them both by 10. Sure, Halo 3 does have flaws, I most certainly am not calling it perfection by any means and I can definitely understand the people that still say that Halo 1 is the best Halo. Still, it is a work of art and nearly a perfection of Bungies “10 seconds of fun, repeated over and over” philosophy.

PS: Thank you to Papercuts for doing me this favor. Owe you one.

Druz

Me when I clicked on thread:

cluto

I rate the Halo games based on the Miranda-Keyes-Scale.

Halo 1 = no Mirandas. Great.
Halo 2 = one Mirandas. Bad.
Halo 3 = killed off one Mirandas. Ok.

Ten-Song

I think I'd also rank them in order of 1 > 3 > 2

Each of them were awesome in their own unique ways though. I loved the Arbiter's story in 2, Halo 3 I think had the only Flood level that was fun (the first one) but also had Cortana, which was a huge pain in the ass to get past on Legendary.

I think 3's campaign had to be the most replayable for me though, simply because it felt like a "greatest hits" of all the best moments from 1 and 2. The big vehicle sections on the Ark were great, and fighting a Scarab every time in 3 was a real treat.

I've been replaying the second game on PC recently, and I think my initial sour impressions on the campaign have kind of faded, there's still a lot that I enjoy about it, though once it gets to the point where you're fighting brutes most of the time, that tends to be where my interest fades. All of my really fond memories of 2 are pretty much multiplayer though. While that game's campaign may have been kind of iffy to people, the multiplayer was eons ahead of anything else on consoles at that time.

I still rank 1 as the best simply because I had NEVER been that impressed with a shooter's campaign before playing that game. Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, the reveal of the Flood... that game had so many moments that were just mind blowing to me at that time.

Alex

I like them all about the same, great co-op campaigns. I tried Halo 2 like ... years late, expected the worst but I think I enjoyed it better than the original. Great vehicle scenes and better presentation. Didn't have a couple of the peak quality areas like Silent Cartogropher or Assault on the Control Room, but otherwise I liked it more.

I still have barely played 3, I've just had a rough time playing games this gen between some real life stuff and too much Warcraft. Now that I've smoothed out the former and cut out the latter I've been plowing through these things.

Dislike the multi in these, but it's co-op done right. I wish they'd release net enabled versions of the campaigns in Halo 1 and 2.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
It's interesting to hear your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

I honestly haven't played a Halo game in quite a while. The series as a whole has kind of gone off my radar. I still had a lot of fun with all 3 games, especially the first. Playing through all three games on Legendary was a blast.

GhaleonEB

3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2>>>1

They are different. Halo 1 does some great stuff with atmosphere and tension. But the smoke and mirrors show through clearly now. The Halo 3 campaign, a level or two aside, is brilliant.

Veelk

Banned
Ten-Song said:
I still rank 1 as the best simply because I had NEVER been that impressed with a shooter's campaign before playing that game. Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, the reveal of the Flood... that game had so many moments that were just mind blowing to me at that time.
I suppose I wouldn't rank the first one as the best because it seemed to lack the substance of Halo 3. I suppose that I can understand how good first impressions are, and Halo 2 and 3 WERE kind of going through the motions of the Halo story, while Halo 1 was completely original and new to most people. Still, like you said, Halo 3 seems to combine the best parts of 1 and 2, which makes it better than both IMO.

Alex said:
I like them all about the same, great co-op campaigns. I tried Halo 2 like ... years late, expected the worst but I think I enjoyed it better than the original. Great vehicle scenes and better presentation. Didn't have a couple of the peak quality areas like Silent Cartogropher or Assault on the Control Room, but otherwise I liked it more.

I still have barely played 3, I've just had a rough time playing games this gen between some real life stuff and too much Warcraft. Now that I've smoothed out the former and cut out the latter I've been plowing through these things.

Dislike the multi in these, but it's co-op done right. I wish they'd release net enabled versions of the campaigns in Halo 1 and 2.

Like I said in my review, I learned to love Halo through repeated playthroughs rather than just one, so I really recommend to try it out. Hope you find some time to do so.

Zoso said:
It's interesting to hear your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

I honestly haven't played a Halo game in quite a while. The series as a whole has kind of gone off my radar. I still had a lot of fun with all 3 games, especially the first. Playing through all three games on Legendary was a blast.

Well, I know atleast one person actually took time to read all that. Glad you enjoyed it :D

And to anyone who is willing to explain, exactly how is Halo 2's multiplayer considered the best?

I haven't been able to play Halo 2's online, but from what I understand, while Halo 2 may have really good maps, from what I hear, Halo 3 is the more balanced game. I also heard about the noob combo that was considered a game breaker in Halo 2. I obviously can't judge without playing, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Blader

Ten-Song said:
Each of them were awesome in their own unique ways though. I loved the Arbiter's story in 2, Halo 3 I think had the only Flood level that was fun (the first one) but also had Cortana, which was a huge pain in the ass to get past on Legendary.

Really? I thought it was actually easier on Legendary than on Normal or Heroic, though that may have just been because I was being more careful.

Ten-Song

Generic said:
I suppose I wouldn't rank the first one as the best because it seemed to lack the substance of Halo 3. I suppose that I can understand how good first impressions are, and Halo 2 and 3 WERE kind of going through the motions of the Halo story, while Halo 1 was completely original and new to most people. Still, like you said, Halo 3 seems to combine the best parts of 1 and 2, which makes it better than both IMO.

Yeah, like I said, nostalgia is kind of what keeps 1 at the top of the list for me, but with 4 player co-op over Live, and the way the levels worked, Halo 3 I think is the best place to jump in at this point.

Blader5489 said:
Really? I thought it was actually easier on Legendary than on Normal or Heroic, though that may have just been because I was being more careful.

Most of the level wasn't too bad, but those big open spaces with the Flood that shoot shit at you? I hated those sections SO MUCH.

dang you two done hit the character limit per post eh.
i'll give my two bits

halo 1 and halo 3 basically followed the same game plan

halo 2 utter shite single player you don't fucking add arby and not flesh out his stealth mechanic, also ending is the worst case of blue balls i ever felt.

Blueblur1

My preference: Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Halo 3. Halo 3's campaign has the most new features, best visuals, and more weapons but it's pacing and story are nothing but average. I feel Halo 2's carefully crafted plot and pacing was much superior. And I still love Halo 1's campaign as it's story is minimal, the stages are approachable from many different angles (in regards to weapons, vehicles, and paths) and has the best weapons IMO. :)

ZZMitch

Thanks for the read! I agree for the most part, I especially dislike Halo 2 because they removed the Assault Rifle... Why?

So many memories from Halo 2 online though...

Tower of Power...
Zombies...
Super Jumps...

Life is good.

SnakeSlashRO said:

2 3 1.

2 was awful online, so many modders and cheaters and it was impossible to get past level 40 because at that point everyone just stole host and standby-ed/ lagged people out.

Asmodai

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
you think Cortana is bad? try that shit on Legendary.

OH
MY
CAR

then again, it's still not as bad as Hangar Bay #2 in Halo 2

Neither are as bad as the Library from Halo 1. Of course I wouldn't play any of those shitty missions without co-op support. 4 players made Cortana easy enough even on Legendary.

Singleplayer campaign wise, Halo 1 was the only good one in my opinion. Halo 3 was fun only because of 4 player co-op, but became old very quickly. The fact that the 4 player co-op was a pain in the ass to set up didn't help.

Veelk

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
My preference: Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Halo 3. Halo 3's campaign has the most new features, best visuals, and more weapons but it's pacing and story are nothing but average. I feel Halo 2's carefully crafted plot and pacing was much superior. And I still love Halo 1's campaign as it's story is minimal, the stages are approachable from many different angles (in regards to weapons, vehicles, and paths) and has the best weapons IMO. :)

I really disagree, especially with the bolded part. As I said in the review, the story makes no sense at several points, and I was not exaggerating when I said I could on for pages discussing point by point of where it's bad. Still, I do agree that I like the direction they TRIED to take the story in. I just feel they failed miserably in it.

Oh, well, different strokes and all that :p

Asmodai said:
Neither are as bad as the Library from Halo 1. Of course I wouldn't play any of those shitty missions without co-op support. 4 players made Cortana easy enough even on Legendary.

Singleplayer campaign wise, Halo 1 was the only good one in my opinion. Halo 3 was fun only because of 4 player co-op, but became old very quickly. The fact that the 4 player co-op was a pain in the ass to set up didn't help.
bah, Halo 1 Library on Legendary is easy breezy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Library co-op on Legendary is brilliant shit. Haters just haven't experienced it...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Faceless Master said:
you think Cortana is bad? try that shit on Legendary.

OH
MY
CAR

then again, it's still not as bad as Hangar Bay #2 in Halo 2

Sniping flood is ridiculous on legendary. Oh so painful.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SnakeSlashRO said:
Story

1 3 2.

2 3 1.

Time/Money Spent

3 2 1.

Correction:

Online/Multiplayer

3 2 1

Forge and multiplayer is HUGE and online ranking is more integrated and not as broken as Halo 2. Believe me, Dawn Of The Dead/Zombies, getting on top of Foundation and Tower of Power were fun but Halo 3's versatility just gave me more. I still wonder why Halo 3 gets so much hate, honestly its one of the greatest games in recent memory/all time even. Seriously, the menu and party system should be standard for every game now.

Personally, 1 > 3 > 2. ODST may come last in that but I'm still super hyped.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I haven't spent much time with any Halo online, but what makes 2 so superior to 3 in everyone's eyes for multiplayer? Just curious...

Veelk

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Correction:

Online/Multiplayer

3 2 1

Forge and multiplayer is HUGE and online ranking is more integrated and not as broken as Halo 2. Believe me, Dawn Of The Dead/Zombies, getting on top of Foundation and Tower of Power were fun but Halo 3's versatility just gave me more. I still wonder why Halo 3 gets so much hate, honestly its one of the greatest games in recent memory/all time even. Seriously, the menu and party system should be standard for every game now.

Again, this is the general argument I hear, that Halo 3 is more balanced, has more weapons, more features, etc, but the majority still consider Halo 2 better. The only argument I have ever heard on this front is that the Halo 2 maps are better, but is that really the only reason, or can someone offer a better explanation of why Halo 2 is widely considered to be the better multiplayer game?

JayDub

Papercuts said:
Sniping flood is ridiculous on legendary. Oh so painful.

Cortana? That shit was easy. The flood in Halo 3 is RIDICULOUSLY easy, get the brute shot and melee. They fall in 1 hit most of the time, in legendary just 2

Ten-Song

Generic said:
Again, this is the general argument I hear, that Halo 3 is more balanced, has more weapons, more features, etc, but the majority still consider Halo 2 better. The only argument I have ever heard on this front is that the Halo 2 maps are better, but is that really the only reason, or can someone offer a better explanation of why Halo 2 is widely considered to be the better multiplayer game?

I think it might also be why some would see 1 as having the best campaign. It's just that Halo 2 did it all for the first time. It was kind of simple compared to Halo 3, but during it's time, it was pretty much the ONLY game to play on Live. Didn't matter what else came out, everyone always went back to Halo 2.

Also, I do kind of miss 2's maps. 3 had a short list of stuff when it came out, and a lot of its initial maps felt kind of boring in terms of design and art style. Though, I never paid for any of the DLC (another thing 2 did better) so I'm out of the loop on the new maps for 3 until ODST comes out.

Brandon F said:
I haven't spent much time with any Halo online, but what makes 2 so superior to 3 in everyone's eyes for multiplayer? Just curious...

Maps, nostalgia, and button combos for me. People will argue about BXR/Double shot/Double Melee but they really livened up the game.

Alex

I always liked the Library, but Assault on the Control Room is the best. (Legendary)

Assuming I'm remembering the mission name right. :lol The snowy one!

Veelk

Banned
Ten-Song said:
I think it might also be why some would see 1 as having the best campaign. It's just that Halo 2 did it all for the first time. It was kind of simple compared to Halo 3, but during it's time, it was pretty much the ONLY game to play on Live. Didn't matter what else came out, everyone always went back to Halo 2.

Also, I do kind of miss 2's maps. 3 had a short list of stuff when it came out, and a lot of its initial maps felt kind of boring in terms of design and art style. Though, I never paid for any of the DLC (another thing 2 did better) so I'm out of the loop on the new maps for 3 until ODST comes out.

I see. Honestly, I didn't play the Halo multiplayer on a regular basis (I'll get into it again when ODST comes out), so I don't remember that much, but I really liked Valhalla, High Ground, and Isolation. I thought they were great. I'd like to hear what the Halo 2 maps did so insanely well.

Also, alot of the DLC became free after a while it came out. Only the newest stuff is the only thing that was priced.

Halo 1's single player will always be remembered more fondly than the others since:
a) it was a long time ago now
b) it was longer and less abrupt
c) people were expecting it to suck after the poor showing at E3 2001

2 and 3 had higher expectations that it was always going to be hard to match or exceed.
2 and 3 LAO removed a lot of the cut and past rinse and repeat sections (not all, but many)
2 AND 3- people played online- so those memories coloured by strangers wearing headsets rather than your friends on the couch. After Halo 2- I never bothered with getting a headset for the 360 (though I just used the xbox1 headset on the few occasions I needed to)

I personally find 3 to be the best overall. It's multiplayer was far more robust and its netcode far better than any CoD or Gears game (for me at least)

Though for some reason I am not that into ODST. Maybe because I already have all of the maps. I have a gap in my gaming schedule coming up- perhaps a Halo 3 replay is in order.

Striker

Generic said:
I felt Halo 2's online had much better maps, even without Forge's help, and better playlist management. Otherwise, Halo 3 has a better balance in weapons and overall gameplay.

Bungie messed around with dual wielding and nerfed a bunch of weapons, such as the Plasma Rifle, Pistol, and Needler in Halo 2, and it suffered. But Halo 3's maps are no match for the greats in Halo 2.

Sibylus

Banned
Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1, but I still have some real big beefs with 3's story.

Halo 2 Arbiter: Tragic hero character fighting for revenge and illumination.
Halo 3 Arbiter: Meek Elite that barely talks and goes into combat looking and sounding bored.

Halo 2 Prophet of Truth: Conniving and savvy politician who allowed his fellow Prophets to be killed off.
Halo 3 Prophet of Truth: Mindless religious zealot who knows some secret stuff.

Instead of focusing on tiny roles like Miranda and Johnson, Bungie should have given the spotlight to the two most neglected characters (Truth and Arbiter). Those two human characters were far too shallow to achieve the impact Bungie was looking for in their deaths, but they went ahead and tried to wrench it out of them anyway. Truth and Arbiter has much more depth.

Story shortcomings aside, 3 easily had a shitload of great levels. Probably the most replayable Halo campaign yet.

TL;DR summary of my complaints: I want Hamlet, not The Space Marines Are Dead: Isn't It Sad.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Cairo Station's Hangar Bay #2 in Halo 2 gave me the most trouble on legendary out of all the games. I remember spending about a week trying to get past that damn part. Nothing else in the trilogy gave me that much trouble.

I didn't even fight the flood on Halo 3's cortana level. I just ran for my life from one checkpoint to the next. And strangely it worked :lol

Narag

I liked 3 > 1 > 2. I came in with 3 and played the other 2 after. That said, I've a soft spot for 4 player hijinx on tsavo highway.

Ten-Song

Botolf said:
Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1, but I still have some real big beefs with 3's story.

Halo 2 Arbiter: Tragic hero character fighting for revenge and illumination.
Halo 3 Arbiter: Meek Elite that barely talks and goes into combat looking and sounding bored.

I put the blame for most of that on the whiny fans that couldn't stand the idea of not playing as Master Chief for even two seconds. Which sucks, because I always found the Arbiter more interesting. I quite enjoyed the fact that he never REALLY turned against the Covenant in 2 until he was pretty much forced to, that kind of "shatter your belief" story was an interesting prospective to get, as opposed to the Chief, who's story in any of the game's never changes beyond "lady what in my head tells me to shoot aliens."

I really did hate what Bungie did to the Arbiter in 3 though...

Top Bottom