• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: "Lucy" Psycho 100 in the Shell (spoilers maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically the movie Lucy. I saw it recently and I was actually kind of laughing at all the scifi references and things it uses, but specifically the anime ones it does. I actually didn't dislike it like a lot of people on here seemed to.

Anyway, I wonder if the director ever read Mob Psycho 100. Yeah it's a pretty small-ish niche manga (although it's getting an anime now so it must've had a decent following), but the whole percentage thing over a black screen at pivotal moments was straight out of that. Even though in the movie it was more the percent of her brain she had unlocked and in MP100, it's sort of a gauge of Mob's mental state before he "something" happens, I thought the similarity was ucnanny, especially since they both deal with psychics as well

And the GITS influences were pretty obvious as well. I think Scarlett even gave a number of monologues that could have been form The Major in the Oiishi films, so I can see why they would approach her to play the part (since an Asian lead was apparently out of the question). Not to mention her whole merging with reality reminded me of The Major merging with the Puppet Master.

So, overall I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Nothing in it was offensively bad like some of you would have had me believe. They didn't really go as far with her powers as they could and the whole plot was basically "I need to reach 100%. Get me drugs", but it was cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom