• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Paper Mario Sticker Star... am I crazy?

No you are not crazy, OP. I really liked it too. I am currently playing through Super Paper Mario on the Wii. A vocal group on GAF thinks that game sucks too. I stopped listening to GAF a long time ago. Listen to your heart and your own interests.

The gaming community needs to stop saying games are shit just because they aren't perceived as being as good as other games. Every gamer's taste is different.

RM8

It's my favorite Paper Mario game, and I love them all. Awesome, fun, charming puzzle-adventure game with the best music in the series. Sticker Star rocks <3

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It's the "worst" of the Paper series, but still a good game. What I dislike most is how Miyamoto had the dev team strip out the story for the most part, and on top of that the guessing game going into boss battles for which large sticker you needed was ridiculous.

Thousand Year Door remains king.

Reset

Yes, you're crazy.
I got this game for $10 last summer, and I still get angry that I wasted money on this piece of crap.

Joqu

It's a great game but a terrible Paper Mario game. The great writing is missing for the most part (what's there is good though) and it's not that much of an RPG but I don't feel like it brings the game down as a whole. But obviously since it's called Paper Mario people are gonna be disappointed with it because of that.

And yeah, it can be obtuse as fuck. I personally love it in a way, reminds me of an old NES game. People generally don't want to deal with that kind of gameplay anymore though.

But hey, I really do wish they'd go back to the old formula too. Maybe next time.

Velcro Fly

I think the game gets an unfair amount of criticism for certain things. It was definitely a fun game. There were only a couple times where I wasn't sure what to do and had to do the old guess and check with thing stickers.

Like many others here, I was drawn in with the charming opening, the fun battle system, and the enjoyable opening. I quite liked the first world, and there was a great deal of humor in the subsequent stages. Even the presence of stages felt great. What stopped me halfway through was the *Things,* which, due to their scarcity and your limited carrying capacity, drag the game to a screeching halt.

I was thoroughly excited by the adventure game comparisons, but that is utterly invalid when every puzzle allows you to carry one or two items all the way across the game world and you only find out if it is at all useful after you are deep into the area where you need it (worse for bosses). Sure, there are hints about what you need, but I don't want to waste my time entering fights, seeing what I need, and then either losing or chipping away a win but still being made to feel like I chose incorrectly.

I also hate overly verbose RPGs, especially when accompanied by silent protagonists, and TTYD could have used a bit of trimming, but the characters were all terribly charming and funny. As much as I liked the opening, there wasn't anything else comparable at least halfway through the game. It felt terribly barren.

It's pretty, it can be fun (the basic battle system is quite enjoyable), and it has great music, but it just gets increasingly aggravating to play as you go on.

leroidys

Like many others here, I was drawn in with the charming opening, the fun battle system, and the enjoyable opening. I quite liked the first world, and there was a great deal of humor in the subsequent stages. Even the presence of stages felt great. What stopped me halfway through was the *Things,* which, due to their scarcity and your limited carrying capacity, drag the game to a screeching halt.

I was thoroughly excited by the adventure game comparisons, but that is utterly invalid when every puzzle allows you to carry one or two items all the way across the game world and you only find out if it is at all useful after you are deep into the area where you need it (worse for bosses). Sure, there are hints about what you need, but I don't want to waste my time entering fights, seeing what I need, and then either losing or chipping away a win but still being made to feel like I chose incorrectly.

I also hate overly verbose RPGs, especially when accompanied by silent protagonists, and TTYD could have used a bit of trimming, but the characters were all terribly charming and funny. As much as I liked the opening, there wasn't anything else comparable at least halfway through the game. It felt terribly barren.

It's pretty, it can be fun (the basic battle system is quite enjoyable), and it has great music, but it just gets increasingly aggravating to play as you go on.

I've heard this a lot, but I still don't really get it. There are dozens of things, but most of them are redundant. Like, do people carry around all 3 pairs of scissors thinking they will need each one for the level? They are just progressively smaller versions of the same item. Same with the different types of fans, different types of balls, different types of water, etc. Halfway through the game, most useful stickers have a one-square variant.

And you (90% of the time) only need a specific sticker for a boss, which are always obvious AF. Most levels are short enough that you can run out of them in 10~20 seconds if you realize that you are ABSOLUTELY STUCK without a thing (or press start and exit automatically if you've already beaten it.)

Further, every world you beat gives you another page of stickers. After world 2, I always had PLENTY of space for thing-stickers.

So, sorry, I just can't really accept this criticism. It's like saying MGS1 is awful because of the constant button mashing required, when it's only in that one infamous
torture
section.

It feels like it may be an okay game so far.

But as far as stickers go, and the way they're used--no, I don't see myself liking it in the end.

HOWEVER, I do think the "sticker" theme in general ties in well with the "paper" aesthetics, and as such, I would be okay if "badges" changed to "stickers" in future entries, just as long as they're used in the same way they are in PM64 and TTYD.

Top Bottom