• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Parasite Eve

kuYuri

Loved the hell out of this as a kid. I should really replay it one day and finally get to The 3rd Birthday.

A film adaptation of the novel was made but it's really bad in my opinion.
Yeah I remember HBO running it years ago, I don't remember it being too good either.
Loved the hell out of this as a kid. I should really replay it one day and finally get to The 3rd Birthday.
I got PE1, FFVII and RE2 on the same day, that's like the fucking trifecta right there. I still remember going to Toys R Us and picking them out of a bargain bin...good times. Act like Third Birthday doesn't exist, I heard it was terrible.

Danlord

Now THIS game needs a remake.

Well, according to Verendus there's a new Parasite Eve game in development. I couldn't get him to expand on whether it's a remake or essentially Parasite Eve 3, but given it wasn't as big/popular as some franchises and may not be well known beyond the big fans of the game itself, a reboot would make the most sense so a full remake may be more plausible, and for me more preferable.

Post here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166482193

Love seeing this game come up in a lttp. I remember randomly picking it up after playing FF7 as a kid. I knew nothing of the game, just that Square was behind it and as Antitrop mentioned earlier "holy shit, it's M?"

Absolutely phenomenal game. Never got around to playing II, but still keep my psn copy for nostalgia's sake. Kinda want to play it now, actually.

I agree. One of my favorite games. Too bad they didn't release it in the PAL region.

It's... special. I don't know how to describe it, but it seems to be more of a spin-off with some PE characters. Plays okay-ish, but not a great PSP game.
I know I read a synopsis of it on here and I think I just blocked it out due to how bad it was. They did Aya dirty.
Love seeing this game come up in a lttp. I remember randomly picking it up after playing FF7 as a kid. I knew nothing of the game, just that Square was behind it and as Antitrop mentioned earlier "holy shit, it's M?"

Absolutely phenomenal game. Never got around to playing II, but still keep my psn copy for nostalgia's sake. Kinda want to play it now, actually.
Dude just play it, I think it could be beaten in under 10 hours.

HeelPower

The game is great other than two baffling instances where
dying outside of battle in the rooftop and at the final boss forces you to repeat the battles
and the
overly lengthy museum dungeon with the terrible music..
Oh and the ending was
unsatisfying and kinda bad imo

Parasite Eve 2 is far ,far better than the first game.Like Uncharted 1 to 2 levels of difference.It has far more detailed backgrounds,greater range of weapons to choose from and much better PE system ,and overall better level design and art direction.

The first game however deserves praise for its atmosphere and attempt to deliver an adult-feeling setting.

Both games falter at delivering a satisfying story,in different ways ,and both are staggeringly better than the third travesty.

Squaresoft = Awesome CG scenes

And this game had one fo the best back in the day, especially disc 2 with the
helicopters and jets flying through the city and fighting against that big monster from the sewers-museum

I bought a used copy as a kid, it was in japanese... I said "ok, thank god numbers are universal" and I don't know how I did it, but I finished the entire game including the
Chrysler Building

Also, fuck this boss

l3tTQ1Q.jpg

dying outside of battle in the rooftop and at the final boss forces you to repeat the battles
and the
Oh and the ending was

Hey I love the museum music.

Also the default ending is the bad one, and you have to do a grindy ass dungeon to get the real one.

Not really fond of that.

HeelPower

Hey I love the museum music.

Also the default ending is the bad one, and you have to do a grindy ass dungeon to get the real one.

Not really fond of that.

Its not bad music,but this section is incredibly lengthy ,and this keeps going on and on and on...

The ending..yeah I dunno why they decided to do this.

You have to go to Chinatown first, because the museum part is on the 2nd disc.
The Chinatown part and museum part is fairly easy, only the final bosses are tough.
Eve and UB are still giving me nightmares urgh.
I read somewhere that Chinatown was optional. I actually thought they were both on disc 2. I played it in a blur so I can't remember if I had to switch a disc to do Chinatown. I hate that fucking crab boss though.

I read somewhere that Chinatown was optional. I actually thought they were both on disc 2. I played it in a blur so I can't remember if I had to switch a disc to do Chinatown. I hate that fucking crab boss though.

Ah you mean the Warehouse, that is optional, there is the crab boss located, and yeah he is a pain, you get rockets after the fight with him. Chinatown was never optional afaik, the Warehouse was though. Museum and the ending are on disc 2. Half of the subway too.

jpd1408

Banned
Great game wish I could replay the game now as well. I bought 1 and 2 when I was younger and never was able to beat them due to not understanding the rpg elements!

Locuza

I played it a year ago and from my perspective it was very mediocre.

After PE I wanted to play the sequel but damn this tank control and changing viewpoint while you walk.
After 20 feet I stopped playing and watched the whole game gotten played on youtube.
And in the end I was very happy about my choice, because the game was very bad.
So much backtracking, no things to hold into.
It was simply bad in my eyes.

I watched a bit from the 3rd Birthday and read the story.
As a semi Fan from the first game I found many points unlikeable and understand why many hate the game, but from the cutscenes, the gameplay and overall "budget" it looked like the best parasite eve overall or let's say game.

I would be very happy about a new and really good PE game, I liked the material from the first PE game.
It just really needs to pump up the production value.
Better and more diverse soundtracks, better and more diverse locations, better and more diverse characters, better told and more diverse story.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually beat this game only last year, I had played like a third of it earlier in my life, but beat it about half a year ago. I still need to do the tower New Game+ mission and get the true ending, though.

I also can say the game stays pretty consistent in terms of quality. there are a few highs and lows, but they're marginal, and I enjoyed it pretty much from beginning to end. I like exploring the locations, the music is great, and I enjoy the battle system. I am not in-love with the game per-say, but I enjoyed it.

I do hope Square Enix goes back to Parasite Eve. Third Birthday from what I've played isn't terrible, but can't hold a candle (especially in narrative).

This is one of my favourite PSX games, I've played through it about 4-5 times. Every time, I always enjoy the blend of survival horror, action, and RPG. The plot is great, and it's really refreshing having a strong female character (who isn't overly sexualized, at least, not until the sequel).

But man, fuck the final boss:
specifically, once you beat the final boss. You have to run away from the creature after the final fight, and if it catches you, Aya dies instantly, meaning you have to reload a save and fight the boss again. What's TERRIBLE, is that the game places a save point during this chase scene, but if you try to get to the save point, you don't have enough time to escape. The save point is there specifically just to kill you, and that SUCKS.

While I really like the end game and the final boss
and the following chase sequence
, I agree this part was badly designed. I think everyone is going to die the first time at this when they try to meddle with the save station, the only time a save station is not only useless but since interacting with it will kill you, it's a pretty bullshit design decision (not saving after the long haul is bad by itself, but to have a save station that will kill you afterward is pretty bad).

This said, I overall did like the final boss and sequence, despite that bullshit pull there.

I never got her drastic change from PE 1 to PE 2, she was a well build women in PE 1 and in the 2nd game she was all buff all of a sudden.

I really really miss this Era of Square. They were constantly making new and interesting things.
Their Magnum Opus was Xenogears.
Ah you mean the Warehouse, that is optional, there is the crab boss located, and yeah he is a pain, you get rockets after the fight with him. Chinatown was never optional afaik, the Warehouse was though. Museum and the ending are on disc 2. Half of the subway too.
So Disc 2 is mostly the museum and that aircraft carrier then? Sounds about right. I haven't beaten the game since I was in high school.

dukie85

and the
Oh and the ending was

Parasite Eve 2 is far ,far better than the first game.Like Uncharted 1 to 2 levels of difference.It has far more detailed backgrounds,greater range of weapons to choose from and much better PE system ,and overall better level design and art direction.

The first game however deserves praise for its atmosphere and attempt to deliver an adult-feeling setting.

Both games falter at delivering a satisfying story,in different ways ,and both are staggeringly better than the third travesty.

I thought I was the only one who liked 2 more than 1. It was just head and shoulders better IMO, and I adore PE1.

Slyfer

Neo Member
I actually played the 3rd Birthday first then went back and played the originals. Considering all the games feel different from each other as far as gameplay and story is concerned I still enjoyed all of them in their own way. This franchise could seriously benefit from a complete reboot though...

Dusk Golem

He's a pain until you figure him out. I was able to finally beat him without even taking any damage by using agility to make me run faster to avoid the bubbles and time his attack phases right, aim at one of his claws so then I could stand to the side of him and avoid most of his attacks while wailing out on him.

Given it took me a few tries to figure out that strategy.

meerak

PE is one of my favourite PSX games by a wide margin. Love the combat model, the music and the atmosphere in the game. At the time it was impressive in a few ways too (other than the cg opening); Aya has lots of unique, situational, animations for example.

A friend and I have been replaying this whenever he visits for holidays. About a third left in it I think... Still holds up pretty damn well, if you're one to play old games like this.

Desi

I thought I was the only one who liked 2 more than 1. It was just head and shoulders better IMO, and I adore PE1.

My cousin also loved 2 more than the first one. She went through PE2 doing the "nightstick" run. Parasite Eve was a really good experiment of East & West game development.

The music in Parasite Eve was really what sold it to me. I also remember Naoshi Mizuta working on it as well.

He's a pain until you figure him out. I was able to finally beat him without even taking any damage by using agility to make me run faster to avoid the bubbles and time his attack phases right, aim at one of his claws so then I could stand to the side of him and avoid most of his attacks while wailing out on him.

Given it took me a few tries to figure out that strategy.

Yeah, I used the same strategy like you've described and he is a walk in the park, the EXP pts. after the fight are hilariously bad though.
The only challenging fights are the final bosses and the end boss in the Chrysler bldg.

HeelPower

I played both of them very recently .and yeah I cannot stress how much PE2 is better.

PE2 to me ranks even above the RE trilogy just in terms of gameplay and exploration.

Its a damn good game.

Man, when I was a young lad, I loved this game. The music, story, and gameplay were great, and I had a total crush on Aya Brea. I picked it up in a recent PSN sale and found all of the above is still true. (On another note, I don't know what happened to my old copy. A lot can happen in nearly 20 years.)

Voliko

Never understood the love for this game. Ridiculous story, cringe worthy dialogue, and boring battle system. Its only redeeming factors are the great background art and some of the music.

jb1234

I remember liking it as a kid. Shimomura's soundtrack is masterful (truly awful synth operatic voice aside).

Dusk Golem

Never understood the love for this game. Ridiculous story, cringe worthy dialogue, and boring battle system. Its only redeeming factors are the great background art and some of the music.

While I'm not as in-love with the story as many here, what about the dialogue was cringe-worthy. It seems better-than-average for the time period from what I played last year, though they do go into long-winded expository sometimes.

Top Bottom