• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Parasite Eve

kuYuri

Yeah I remember HBO running it years ago, I don't remember it being too good either.

I got PE1, FFVII and RE2 on the same day, that's like the fucking trifecta right there. I still remember going to Toys R Us and picking them out of a bargain bin...good times. Act like Third Birthday doesn't exist, I heard it was terrible.

1998 was such a GOAT year for PS1 games.

Ah, I've heard from other gaffers like suppa that it's worth playing. I bought the game for cheap, so I'm already somewhat committed to playing it.

OmarLexus

Dat ultimate being tho.

OmIwIKH.jpg

I kept myself spoiler free and promised myself I'd clear the Chrysler building one day.

That's like the origin of my backlog.

HeelPower

While I'm not as in-love with the story as many here, what about the dialogue was cringe-worthy. It seems better-than-average for the time period from what I played last year, though they do go into long-winded expository sometimes.

The story is definitely pretty good.

The whole thing about connection with the actress through transplant,accident with the scientist in Japan,and strange evolution of mitochondria is actually pretty memorable stuff.

It really did well considering it was made like 18 years ago.

There's a lot to explore here in a remake.

SpecX

Oh wow, I had forgotten about this game but it was amazing and since I was still a kid at thr time, it scared the shit out of me. Seeing that rat mutate gave me nightmares and forced me to put the game down. I remember spending so much time in the police station since nothing would go wrong there and the music settled my racing heartbeat till the attack in the station.

I wish squaresoft still existed and didn't end up with Enix as it is today. They made so many amazing games during the PS1 generation and made me a blind fan buying anything they released regardless of the reviews.

Dat ultimate being tho.

OmIwIKH.jpg

I kept myself spoiler free and promised myself I'd clear the Chrysler building one day.

What the fuck is that thing. I'm never attempting the Chrysler Building.
1998 was such a GOAT year for PS1 games.

Ah, I've heard from other gaffers like suppa that it's worth playing. I bought the game for cheap, so I'm already somewhat committed to playing it.
Didn't MGS1 also come out that year?

Out of all Square's games Parasite Eve deserves a reboot.

The Aya Brea Easter egg in the FF7R trailer gives me hope. :)

Same. Loved seeing that poster.

Parasite Eve is one of my all time favorites. The gameplay is just great and the story pretty engrossing.

PE2 pales in comparison to me. I'm not a tank controls fan so I hated that change. Location certainly was worse in PE2 as well.

Agreed, I liked the second but I hugely preferred the RPG style of the first game.

Parasite Eve 1 is a masterpiece and something Square will probably never attempt again.

The second game is too survival horror for my tastes; I prefer the RPG feel of the first. Also, the soundtrack was better.

3rd Birthday isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, but the plot is fucking nutters.

Parasite Eve is one of my all time favorites. The gameplay is just great and the story pretty engrossing.

PE2 pales in comparison to me. I'm not a tank controls fan so I hated that change. Location certainly was worse in PE2 as well.
I bought PE2 day one back in 2000 and hated everything about.

The music sucked.
The setting sucked.
The story sucked.
The RE-wannabe tank controls sucked.
Enemy designed sucked.
The new somehow younger looking and now sexualized Aya Brea sucked (PE1 Aya was never sexualized in-game).

It was a slog and boring as shit. PE1 is the only PE game that exits as far as I'm concerned.

And The 3rd Birthday not only is not a PE game at all, it also doesn't exist.

Talk about mismanagement of a promising franchise.

Parasite Eve 1 is a masterpiece and something Square will probably never attempt again.

The second game is too survival horror for my tastes; I prefer the RPG feel of the first. Also, the soundtrack was better.

3rd Birthday isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, but the plot is fucking nutters.
Saying that PE1's soundtrack is better than PE2 is like comparing the soundtrack of Empire Strikes Back to that of Battlefirld Earth.

I mean listen to the BGM of the desert motel which you spend the majority of the game in. This is it. The only thing you'll hear for hours. And the only piece that will interrupt that boring ass guitar sound is and even worse battle theme.

God, I hate PE2.

http://youtu.be/XJMhgyV1Mjk

The old ClassicGameRoom review seemed positive on it too. It's what made me pick it up when it finally went on sale on PSN a year or so ago.

HeelPower

Saying that PE1's soundtrack is better than PE2 is like comparing the soundtrack of Empire Strikes Back to that of Battlefirld Earth.

I mean listen to the BGM of the desert motel which you spend the majority of the game in. This is it. The only thing you'll hear for hours. And the only piece that will interrupt that boring ass guitar sound is and even worse battle theme.

God, I hate PE2.

The atmosphere in the desert motel is fantastic.Some of the most sublime stuff I have ever experienced in a game.

Its perfectly appropriate,and its not like the first game doesn't have any musical sins of its own.
This was just aggravating to listen to in the longest dungeon of the game.The museum is easily longer and much more frustrating than the daytime dryfield,the only time the soundtrack you mentioned plays.

God, I hate PE2.

Valid point, but I do think the PE2 soundtrack does a nice job at producing eerie atmosphere. The motel theme is all you hear for a long time, but it does make you feel creeped out, always on the lookout for those freaky camel-looking things. But yeah, even though it was atmospheric, I prefer Yoko Shimomura's songs from the first game. (Everything she does is gold.)

HeelPower

I bought PE2 day one back in 2000 and hated everything about.

The music sucked.
The setting sucked.
The story sucked.
The RE-wannabe tank controls sucked.
Enemy designed sucked.
The new somehow younger looking and now sexualized Aya Brea sucked (PE1 Aya was never sexualized in-game).

It was a slog and boring as shit. PE1 is the only PE game that exits as far as I'm concerned.

The enemy designs were better,the graphics design was better and much more detailed,the music is equally as good and atmospheric.

The controls were a direct evolution and improvement of the first game.

Its actually a better RPG.There were more weapons to choose from and you actually had control over which mitchondria abilities to develop.
2-capture_18072011_205906.jpg

There were no tedious random encounters and forced battles that show their ugly teeth in longer dungeons such as the museum and the sewers in the first game.

How does this look younger than the aya of the first game? If anything she looked older,taller,less elf like and more imposing :

The enemy designs were better,the graphics design was better and much more detailed,the music is equally as good and atmospheric.

The controls were a direct evolution and improvement of the first game.

Its actually a better RPG.There were more weapons to choose from and you actually had control over which mitchondria abilities to develop.
2-capture_18072011_205906.jpg

There were no tedious random encounters and forced battles that show their ugly teeth in longer dungeons such as the museum and the sewers in the first game.

How does this look younger than the aya of the first game? If anything she looked older,taller,less elf like and more imposing :
The rest of your post is a matter of opinion but the controls on PE2 being a direct evolution of the first game is objectively wrong. How the hell is awkward Resident Evil tank controls where you have to pivot to turn left or right a direct evolution from a top down view where up is up and down is down when moving Aya? As if you see now all games with this tank controls after being so revolutionary that no one uses PE1 style anymore.

Also Aya not only looks younger, the game outright tells you she does look younger due to some bullshit reason about her mitochondria de-ageing her or some crap.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If people like the parasite eve story, but are disappointed by the lack of new... Well, anything, they may want to check out the original novel by Hideaki Sena, the PSX game was designed as a direct sequel to the book.
Is there a synopsis of it anywhere?

Edit: lol, wiki, of course. I might give this a read, sounds really cool.

Kosma

Banned
Really liked this one, never played 2 as it was wasn't received well back then I think.

Think I might pick it up on Vita one day :)

Cikay

I really loved the setting of PE2's first half. A ghost town during day time was really original for a survival-horror.

Great game. Love the sequel as well.
Never touched the 3rd birthday because of how badly it was received.
I wish SE would go back to this franchise but actually do something decent with it.

SkylineRKR

PE1 was brilliant, set within 1 real life location. Great X-Mas horror atmosphere.

PE2 was shit. It was an RE rip off.

Third Birthday was a decent PSP TPS, but plot wise the worst game ever.

I never understood why PE 2 is so much more liked than PE1. The monsters looked really goofy in PE2, the tank controls were worse than in any RE game. Also the music wasn't really memorable for me at least.

Shahed

I really liked both Parasite Eve games. They both did things differently and I liked them for what they were. I'd say I prefer PE1 for it's tone, setting and atmosphere but PE2 was more polished and crafted. Would love another game in the same vein as either of these.

The Third Birthday is a horror show. The only thing I liked about it is the music. So many stupid decisions and stylistic choices.

vato_loco

This is one of the very best PSX games, along with Final Fantasy VII / VIII, Resident Evil 2 and Castlevania Symphony of the Night. There's not a single year that goes by without me playing this one and Parasite Eve 2.

I'm just patiently waiting for Squeenix to announce a PS4 Parasite Eve. I'll promptly and massively lose my shit when that happens.

News Bot

Banned
Also Aya not only looks younger, the game outright tells you she does look younger due to some bullshit reason about her mitochondria de-ageing her or some crap.

Nothing bullshit about this. Mitochondria are one of the main components of the aging process. Theoretically, evolved mitochondria means more efficient cellular energy production, stronger cells, less mitochondria dying, less aging. The Parasite Eve universe runs with the theory that mitochondria started as cell parasites, and in Aya's words, a youthful host is advantageous.

Kenichi Iwao conceived the Clay Virus and t-Virus in Resident Evil based on the theory of retroviruses being a major contributor to evolution and perhaps even the origin that kickstarted evolution itself. He ran with a similar theory in PE2 and even blended it with Resident Evil's virus, using neo-mitochondria to create perfect DNA for evolution that could then be implanted into a vector retrovirus able to create a designer species when spread.

Basically PE2 does nothing story-wise that isn't laid out by PE1.

Doczu

My personal favorite action-jrpg for the PS1.

When i was a kid i had a bootleg JAP version (yeah... been there, done that) and i just played the game without knowing the story. I just made the story up from any bits and pieces here and there. When i finally got my hands on a genuine US version i was shocked how on spot my story was with the game (minor details about transplants, midichlorians etc were off, but whatever).
All the Parasite Energy attacks were tested out for effects and transcribed on paper (these "signs" do this and these do nothing important). So it was a lot of trial and error for me.

Tight gameplay, very good pacing, fantastic music and 1st class Square 90's CGI.
I've replayed it on the PSP, and now with PS1 emulation on the 3DS i'm preparing myself for another run. Hopefully i'll finish the new game+ dungeon this time...

The sequel wasn't bad. But it surely wasn't what i wanted... At least this one came out in Europe, so that's good... i think.

Never played 3rd Birthday. Is it good?

Murkas

In my top 5 games, I usually go back and play it every year or so. Still got my imported US copy because it was never released in EU, yet PE2 was. Love abusing tools/super tools and just making some overpowered pistol.

The game is great other than two baffling instances where
dying outside of battle in the rooftop and at the final boss forces you to repeat the battles
and the
overly lengthy museum dungeon with the terrible music..
Oh and the ending was
unsatisfying and kinda bad imo

I was ready to just start hurling abuse for even suggesting that there is a bad song in the game, but then I clicked your link and was like "yeah, can't really argue with that" Song just looping and looping, stage was huge and on my first play through I was lost so it kept getting worse for me lol.

PE2 I didn't really enjoy that much, only finished it the once, I remember the final boss giving me a lot of trouble but I have been meaning to give it another go, just never got around to it.

Played 3rd Birthday for 10 mins, really disappointing.

Such a shame what they did to Aya, bad ass NYPD rookie cop in PE1, fighting in a mini skirt and cowboy boots in PE2, then we all know what they did for 3rd Birthday. Remember reading this before the game was out and thought really? That's what were doing? Announcing shower scenes? One rare good female character, all gone to crap. I was impressed how in PE1, you actually went on a date with a guy in the beginning, not optional romance like they do nowadays, just set in stone in the game. I actually don't know if any other game does that, playable female character going on a simple date.

Dat ultimate being tho.

OmIwIKH.jpg

Um. The Ultimate Being is scary as fuck. He has a giant ball sack behind his legs and that tail thing is super phallic and is totally a penis.

Raven117

Yup, this was back when any type of game Square touched, it was innovative, interesting, and often one of the best games to come out that year.

News Bot

Banned
fighting in a mini skirt and cowboy boots in PE2

Probably because she's in the Mojave Desert and dressed completely appropriately for the setting. She wears similar attire to PE1 at the beginning of the game in Los Angeles.

One of Square's best games in an era where they could do very little wrong. Would love to see Square make a similar game someday.

It was nice to see Nomura tap into his H.P. Lovecraft influence for this game (he was the enemy designer too, not just character designer, after all). I honestly think the whole game is Nomura's best work. PE2 had great character design too.

Murkas

Probably because she's in the Mojave Desert and dressed completely appropriately for the setting. She wears similar attire to PE1 at the beginning of the game in Los Angeles.

Don't fully buy that I'm afraid, wasn't Kyle in a jumper and jeans in the desert? I don't see a special forces member dressing up in a skirt and cowboy boots, unless it's to show some skin, and with the shower scene also in the game, that's what I'm led to believe.

Skulldead

parasite eve is the Dino crisis of square enix. Very good series that always gets forgotten by their companies.

3th birthday was not a bad game, just a disaster for parasite eve series... Unlike dino crisis 3 was really bad in general...

They just kill their series, which is pretty sad because they are wasted potential..

h0tp0ck3t

I just booted up my old new game plus and realized I had
Cyanide bullets
attached to my gun. Was there a new game plus for
getting the true ending
or did I seriously walk back down the last 10 stories of the Chrysler Building lmao

The first game had a way better battle system than the second I thought.

PE1 was a unique and innovative RPG.

PE2 was a RE clone.

For those of us who love fresh takes on turn based battles, PE1 had everything from the gameplay, music and story.

I have no idea why they didn't just continue to improve on what they had, like most sequels do. It wasn't broken, but they tried to "fix" it, and now we are left with Aya Brea's clothes taking damage.

PE1 was a unique and innovative RPG.

PE2 was a RE clone.

For those of us who love fresh takes on turn based battles, PE1 had everything from the gameplay, music and story.

I have no idea why they didn't just continue to improve on what they had, like most sequels do. It wasn't broken, but they tried to "fix" it, and now we are left with Aya Brea's clothes taking damage.

I think Square didn't know what to do after PE1, they were pretty clueless to go in which direction.
3rd Birthday was an abomination, and an insult to people which have played PE1 and PE2.
The constant moaning and the damage taken cut up clothes were just the tip of the iceberg in 3rd Birthday.

AwShucks

3th birthday was not a bad game, just a disaster for parasite eve series... Unlike dino crisis 3 was really bad in general...

They just kill their series, which is pretty sad because they are wasted potential..

This is true. I felt like 3rd Birthday was actually a good game that took a giant crap on the Parasite Eve series. Also had great looking cutscenes.

Both PE1 and PE2 are favorites, though I tend to replay PE2 more. The second might essentially be called one of my favorite old-school Resident Evils. I even love how it has an Einhander pinball machine in the desert bar, Einhander being another all-time PS1 favorite.

The first is more unique in design and always nice to revisit. Played twice through on PS1 and just bought the dl on PSP/Vita last week. Did the whole deal including Chrysler building on my primary PS1 file...that is a tedious one-time only affair though. PE2 I've gone through several times.

I also somewhat like the PSP game in terms of gameplay, played thoroughly at release. Although revisiting it recently reminded me the powers are less fantastic and admittedly I moved on fairly quickly.

Capra

I never actually played this game myself, but I remember watching a friend play it back in the day just when he got to the part with the dog...

Holy shit.

Imagine seeing that at age 7 or so. I had to go back years later and watch the rest of the boss intros on Youtube and wow, they are pretty all brutal for a PS1 game.

I never actually played this game myself, but I remember watching a friend play it back in the day just when he got to the part with the dog...

Holy shit.

Imagine seeing that at age 7 or so. I had to go back years later and watch the rest of the boss intros on Youtube and wow, they are pretty all brutal for a PS1 game.

I think we're probably about the same age.
The rat stretching out, the eyes melting, the dog grotesquely transforming, the people burning...

Man, I loved it.

Danlord

My save files
AJuXZUq.png

Current beast of a weapon
0MaH7Ao.png

My upgrades are;
  • Rate of Fire: 3 --- Burst: Spray Multiple Targets
  • Enter 2 Commands.--- Percentage Increase
  • Quickdraw: First Attack. --- Counterattack Enemy
  • Add Tranquiliser to Bullets --- N/A

Current Armor
ar3cCd4.png

Upgrades are;
  • Increase Max HP --- Uses Medicine when HP is low
  • Increases Attack Power --- Resist Confusion
  • Resist Stiffness --- Resist Poison
  • Blank --- N/A

Last time playing, I remember that virtually every boss was done in one or two rounds except for the final boss. Every random enemy is done easily since I get double burst, which sprays, 2 commands so essentially 2 rounds of 3 bullets which spray across the entire range of enemies; I beasted that game. :)

Yes, all thanks to the Super Tool Kit.

So many fun memories of this game.

Top Bottom