• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Stargate SG-1

I just finished watching the 10 seasons and the two movies. I have to say this is the best damn sci-fi series ever made.
When SG-1 started when I was a teenager and since I live in Europe, I wasn't able to watch all the episodes, sometimes they aired it on cable but only a few of the seasons and not necessarily in order. I loved it back then, however some of it was just way above my head. Now watching it from start to finish, I have to say, it was an amazing journey. I love the characters, (Teal'c is my favorite) they have all great personalities, they are unique and represent different ways of thinking in the show.
I'm really disappointed that Jonas Quinn was a one year character and that's it, he vas great, Corin Nemec did a great job playing him and he could have been returned. Really wish Vala (Claudia Black) would have been with them form the start, she was such an amazing and fun character too.
Stargate SG-1 had really nice deep topics about existence, sentience, about future and past and even religion. Even the science stuff was "okay" for a TV show. They kinda did everything you could see later in sci-fi movies, and man I wish there was more.

I'm about to watch Atlantis and Universe too but those I have seen so they won't provide me with the sensation of experiencing the adventure for the first time, however I really hope some day someone will try to continue this awesome saga.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I just finished watching the 10 seasons and the two movies. I have to say this is the best damn sci-fi series ever made.
It really is man. I watch it in its entirety every couple years. Due for a rewatch soon.

Side Note #1: has anyone ever figured out what kind of sunglasses O'Neil wears? I always wanted one of those.
Side Note #2: no one can use the red phone like Gen. Hammond. The man is a legend. Anytime he picked up that phone, you knew shit was going down.

415WbdrG8cL._AC_.jpg

Nico_D

Wrong. Farscape is the best.

I've nothing against SG-1 though. I should rewatch it someday.

xrnzaaas

Final seasons of SG-1 were like - why not both?

Personally I prefer Stargate shows. Farscape had tons of weird & crazy episodes from the start and some of them (like with Moya crying throughout the entire episode) are tough to watch. SG1 is easier to watch - team goes offworld, they have a cool adventure, they save the day (the world?) and go back to Earth.

Nico_D

Personally I prefer Stargate shows. Farscape had tons of weird & crazy episodes from the start and some of them (like with Moya crying throughout the entire episode) are tough to watch. SG1 is easier to watch - team goes offworld, they have a cool adventure, they save the day (the world?) and go back to Earth.

Yeah, I agree. Farscape isn't that kind of show you just sit down and relax like with something like Frasier or TNG or SG-1. Luckily there's both.

Kenpachii

When SG-1 started when I was a teenager and since I live in Europe, I wasn't able to watch all the episodes, sometimes they aired it on cable but only a few of the seasons and not necessarily in order. I loved it back then, however some of it was just way above my head. Now watching it from start to finish, I have to say, it was an amazing journey. I love the characters, (Teal'c is my favorite) they have all great personalities, they are unique and represent different ways of thinking in the show.
I'm really disappointed that Jonas Quinn was a one year character and that's it, he vas great, Corin Nemec did a great job playing him and he could have been returned. Really wish Vala (Claudia Black) would have been with them form the start, she was such an amazing and fun character too.
Stargate SG-1 had really nice deep topics about existence, sentience, about future and past and even religion. Even the science stuff was "okay" for a TV show. They kinda did everything you could see later in sci-fi movies, and man I wish there was more.

I'm about to watch Atlantis and Universe too but those I have seen so they won't provide me with the sensation of experiencing the adventure for the first time, however I really hope some day someone will try to continue this awesome saga.

Absolute best scifi series, always watch it once every other year or so. It's great as i mostly forget the episodes again. The cast was perfect in it and even the recast at the end of the series where great. I never really liked that farscape guy tho, he always felt a bit out of his place in stargate but still doable. The story's made up for it for sure.

Wish we had more series like this again.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I'll do my usual thing I do in every thread where someone wants to talk about a show they enjoy, and just affirm that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was superior in every way.

Don't mind me, fam. Just doing what EviLore EviLore pays me to do 'round these here parts. *spits into a bucket*

tenor.gif

CloudNull

Banned
Welp. Everyone tells me to watch this. Looks like it is time i do it. Is it streaming anywhere or do i need to find it on the uncharted waters?

Melfice7

I love SG-1 so much, in fact, time for a rewatch.

You should have watched Atlantis side to side starting on SG-1's 8th season, its not super important but they happen at the same time and theres lots of cross over episodes

Oberstein

Until season 8, I agree. But the last two seasons are a waste, I think. And most of all, it makes the Jaffa look like sinister morons. After all, why not, but we spent eight seasons showing them that the Goa'uld are false gods with fake powers, and they fall for it again immediately...
But that said, the best sci-fi TV show will remain Star Trek The Next Generation.

I'm really disappointed that Jonas Quinn was a one year character and that's it, he vas great, Corin Nemec did a great job playing him and he could have been returned.

2rmnjav.jpg

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Until season 8, I agree. But the last two seasons are a waste, I think. And most of all, it makes the Jafa look like sinister morons. After all, why not, but we spent eight seasons showing them that the Goa'uld are false gods with fake powers, and they fall for it again immediately...

Nah, I thought that was neat actually. Pretty realistic. You can't take a population ruled by a dictator and then immediately give them democracy and expect it to go smoothly. See the last 20 years in the middle east.

Melfice7

Until season 8, I agree. But the last two seasons are a waste, I think. And most of all, it makes the Jaffa look like sinister morons. After all, why not, but we spent eight seasons showing them that the Goa'uld are false gods with fake powers, and they fall for it again immediately...

To be fair the Ori didnt have fake powers, they were as close as gods can be

Xplainin

Banned
Stargate is the best Sci-fi show bar none.
Atlantis is awesome, and Universe had so much potential but got canned.
I want, no I demand, another series.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Love SG-1. Love Atlantis more, personally. Didn't care for Universe.

But overall, Stargate is amazing.

Haven's seen even one episode of it, but watching the trailer on imdb, I kinda liked it, this will be the next after SG Universe, thanks.

I'll do my usual thing I do in every thread where someone wants to talk about a show they enjoy, and just affirm that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was superior in every way.

Don't mind me, fam. Just doing what EviLore EviLore pays me to do 'round these here parts. *spits into a bucket*

tenor.gif

Never cared for it, tbh I don't find Sarah MG particularly attractive and on the surface it really just looks like a dumb vampire teen show, but I'd like you to sell it to me, maybe I change my mind. :)

Welp. Everyone tells me to watch this. Looks like it is time i do it. Is it streaming anywhere or do i need to find it on the uncharted waters?

I think I heard it's on Amazon, but can't confirm, am not subscribed there. Really just go until season 2, the first one is kinda slow, but it's all worth it and forgive the old CGI.

I love SG-1 so much, in fact, time for a rewatch.

You should have watched Atlantis side to side starting on SG-1's 8th season, its not super important but they happen at the same time and theres lots of cross over episodes

I actually watched Atlantis relatively when the episodes came out (had to download them tough), but at that time I thought SG-1 ended and that's why they started Atlantis...

But that said, the best sci-fi TV show will remain Star Trek The Next Generation.

2rmnjav.jpg

Well, what do you expect from a bunch of soldiers? Tbh honest for me it was more unbelievable that they could create a council and a "civilization" after being almost only warrior slaves. What kinda pissed me of was that all of the Jaffa should have looked at Teal'c as their greatest hero, and follow him in whatever he says, but whatever.

Never really liked Star Trek before the "new" movies, however Discovery is really good.

I love Stargate! Until the damn Ori show up.

Yeah they are a weird new threat but it kinda worked for me, but I remember as a kid I also tought it was lame and the Goa'uld were better antagonists. Now after watching all the episodes I think they fit it nicely, it's cool how they integrated England's Arthur legend and how they made the Ori similar to Christianity.

Nico_D

Haven's seen even one episode of it, but watching the trailer on imdb, I kinda liked it, this will be the next after SG Universe, thanks.

It takes a bit of time to click. I think it becomes the show I love by the last string of episodes of the first season, starting from A Human Reaction.

If you end up watching it, do let me know how you like it.

Top Bottom