• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Dark Tower and Other Books by Stephen King

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I am currently halfway through The Stand wth the intention of tackling The Dark Tower afterward.

I've read some various "reading order" lists posted on the internet, none of which are too consistent as far as order goes, and I'm trying to figure out which of King's other books to read before I start the first book, if I should just plow through the series uninterrupted, etc. I've seen The Eyes of the Dragon, 'Salem's Lot, and The Talisman mentioned here and there, among others.

Any suggestions re: King's books that tie into the Dark Tower series?

Brakke

Banned
I read The Dark Tower books straight through without ever reading anything else from King. There's a major character in The Dark Tower who first appears (?) in Salem's Lot but he's easy enough to follow along with.

I read The Stand after the Dark Tower and I really wish I had done it first because of the prominence of the Man in Black, who's sort of underspecified in The Dark Tower.

I'd say you're good to go straight through the Dark Tower next. Only thing to consider is Wind Through the Keyhole, which was written later but "belongs" in the middle of the series somewhere. I read a synopsis and it seems like a bad idea, it's basically a flashback book that sits right after the other flashback book, seems like it would screw up the pacing of this already-unwieldy series, but maybe someone who actually read it should weigh in.

Hazmat

I can't really speak about The Dark Tower, as I haven't finished it, but any of the rest of King's work should be read in whatever order you want. None of them are dependent on another. If you want to read about traveling through time to try to stop the Kennedy assassination, read 11/22/63. If you want to read about cell phone zombies, read Cell. A lot of the books sort of tie into an overarching world (into which The Dark Tower books highly factor), but not enough to matter. Just have a good time.

Ron Mexico

I can't really speak about The Dark Tower, as I haven't finished it, but any of the rest of King's work should be read in whatever order you want. None of them are dependent on another. If you want to read about traveling through time to try to stop the Kennedy assassination, read 11/22/63. If you want to read about cell phone zombies, read Cell. A lot of the books sort of tie into an overarching world (into which The Dark Tower books highly factor), but not enough to matter. Just have a good time.

11/22/63 was incredible.

I'd also throw The Green Mile in to the mix. It was initially released in parts over the span of several months. I remember begging my mother to take me to Waldenbooks to get the next iteration.

If you're in a short story mood, Four Past Midnight was a fun and varied read for me.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I read The Dark Tower books straight through without ever reading anything else from King. There's a major character in The Dark Tower who first appears (?) in Salem's Lot but he's easy enough to follow along with.
Hm, maybe I'll check that one out too then. It's a mere 672 pages in comparison to The Stand's 1200+.

I read 11/22/63 a few years back and basically recommend it to everyone I possibly can.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Don't forget to read Insomonia! It ties in to the Dark Tower in a terrible, terrible, terrible way that you'll come to understand in the The Dark Tower VII

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Don't forget to read Insomonia! It ties in to the Dark Tower in a terrible, terrible, terrible way that you'll come to understand in the The Dark Tower VII
Isn't that book very long and boring though? :(

This is totally what I meant when I made this topic – books that tie into the DT series – but I've heard meh things about that one. I'm not a big reader, and the last thing I want is to get bogged down by a book I don't like and give up.

novels:
Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
The Gunslinger
Pet Sematary
It
The Eyes of The Dragon
Misery
11/22/63

collections:
The Bachman Books
Night Shift
Different Seasons
Skeleton Crew

movies:
Carrie
The Shining
Christine
Children of the Corn
Stand By Me
The Running Man
Pet Sematary
Misery
The Shawshank Redemption
Apt Pupil
The Mist

tv:
Salem's Lot
It
The Stand

Hazmat

This is totally what I meant when I made this topic – books that tie into the DT series – but I've heard meh things about that one. I'm not a big reader, and the last thing I want is to get bogged down by a book I don't like and give up.

I read Insomnia before ever touching the Dark Tower books. It might be my least favorite novel that I've ever read by choice. It's not bad enough to write off the DT books (at least the three that I've read), but it just sucks.

On Writing is one of the best he's ever written. Not a novel, though.

Graveyard Shift is a pretty strong collection of short stories, too.

120v

at some point around Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass you'll want to have read Insomnia. IMO that's the only pivotal one. the sequel to Talisman (forgot the name) was essentially a dark tower book but i dont recall any direct connections to what happens later (which kind of pissed me off by the time i finished Dark tower VII)

Paltheos

I really like Insomnia, one of my favorite King novels. I'm apparently in the minority though.

Nah. It builds nicely up to Wizard and Glass. Then it's all downhill.

4>2>3>1>7>5>6 seems about right. The Dark Tower's not the worst, that award goes to Song of Susannah. I don't think anybody ever thinks it either. After finishing the awful Wolves, you think, "Oh, this can't be as bad. Look at how short it is."

dLMN8R

Hi.

I loved every single word of every single book in the Dark Tower series right up to the end.

I loved his spinoff / side-story book in the series, The Wind through the Keyhole, even more.

Bye.

Nah. It builds nicely up to Wizard and Glass. Then it's all downhill.

I agree so far. I thought the Gunslinger was just okay. The Drawing of Three and The Waste Lands were fantastic! Wizard and Glass was different, but still very, very good. I then read Wind Through the Keyhole and it was pretty alright. I'm currently about 1/3 into Wolves of Calla and so far I'm liking it.

As for other King books, I would strongly recommend Different Seasons. Also really liked Christine and The Shinning. The Dome was also pretty good.

peakish

King is so damn blunt. I've tried to read a few of his novels but they all come down to a lot of text detailing evils that would have been better off unresolved. He comes up with a great premise but then overwrites it to hell and back. This is from having read Insomnia, The Dome and The Shining. All of which are creepy as hell before he gets around to explaining everything in them. Gotta say that it's surprising that "kill your darlings" is attributed to him since he doesn't seem to do it.

Heard good things of The Dark Tower and I'll try to pick them up sometime still, it's just a shame that everything I've read of him so far has disappointed me (although some King fans have told me that I've picked up his worst stuff so far, which tempts me to keep trying).

somedevil

I am currently halfway through The Stand wth the intention of tackling The Dark Tower afterward.

I've read some various "reading order" lists posted on the internet, none of which are too consistent as far as order goes, and I'm trying to figure out which of King's other books to read before I start the first book, if I should just plow through the series uninterrupted, etc. I've seen The Eyes of the Dragon, 'Salem's Lot, and The Talisman mentioned here and there, among others.

Any suggestions re: King's books that tie into the Dark Tower series?

Books that tie into the dark tower:

Hearts in Atlantis
Insomnia
Black House
Everything's Eventual (short story)
Salem's lot
UR(short story)

rgoulart

Regarding The Dark Tower, I'd say:

Skip Eyes of the Dragon because it's just not a very good book. You can fit The Stand somewhere before Wizard and Glass to get the easter eggs and references, and The Talisman and Black House before reading The Waste Lands.

The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
The Little Sisters of Eluria (short story)
The Wind Through the Keyhole
Salem's Lot
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
Low Men in Yellow Coats (novella)
Insomnia
The Dark Tower

There are also several short stories that takes place in or reference the Dark Tower.

Stephen King is my favorite author and I think he has a lot of great books and incredible short stories.

-hal-

It's a little difficult for me to say since I've read pretty much all of King's work in the order it was released. By the time The Dark Tower series started I'd forgotten some of his stuff. I'd also add that I've never read Insomnia and it didn't detract from my enjoyment of The Dark Tower series one bit.

The only one I'd say you'd absolutely want to be sure you read before The Dark Tower books is The Stand, and as you're already doing that, I'd say you'd be fine. Some others to consider since they tie in heavily (and are actually good) are It, Hearts in Atlantis, and Salem's Lot.

The Dark Tower has so many freaking references to King's other novels that it's easy to miss some of them. And you can always go back and read some of the novels you've missed and enjoy the reverse reference.

Venture

4>2>3>1>7>5>6 seems about right. The Dark Tower's not the worst, that award goes to Song of Susannah. I don't think anybody ever thinks it either. After finishing the awful Wolves, you think, "Oh, this can't be as bad. Look at how short it is."
That looks like the right order to me, except I think I'd switch 2 and 3. The Drawing of The Three was actually the first Stephen King novel I ever read. I picked it up on a whim and then got hooked.

I'm glad I read Salem's Lot and It, but I the rest I dunno if you need. Hell, you don't even need It

Salem's Lot is important though.

The Dark Tower is great because The Gunslinger is fantastic and also the worst book in the series. It just gets better and better.

bleaker

A lot of Kings output since he came back from his accident has ranged from very bad to meh personally. I really do love the ending of The Dark Tower though. Honestly his best book this century for me was Revival, doesn't tie into DT, but it I think it has a similar tone.

In all honesty you don't really need to read them in any order. Just read the Dark Tower series and everything else can come after. Also, The Wizard and Glass is the best of the series.

Vlad

As others have said, Insomnia also has some pretty strong ties, but I read that after finishing TDT, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything that way.

I'd say you're good to go straight through the Dark Tower next. Only thing to consider is Wind Through the Keyhole, which was written later but "belongs" in the middle of the series somewhere. I read a synopsis and it seems like a bad idea, it's basically a flashback book that sits right after the other flashback book, seems like it would screw up the pacing of this already-unwieldy series, but maybe someone who actually read it should weigh in.

Ugh, I'd say skip Wind Through The Keyhole altogether. I was really hesitant on even bothering to read that, as I've been burned multiple times with the whole "cramming more story into the middle of the existing story long after the main story's been told" thing, but I was sitting on some Amazon gift cards at one point and I figured I may as well.

The thing is, if the book actually was a flashback book, that'd be one thing, but it's more a
"starts between 4 and 5, flashes back for a few chapters, then spends most of the rest of the book detailing a character in the flashback tell another character in that flashback a story" book. That story seems to have some relation to the larger Dark Tower mythos, but I was actually more interested in just the flashback, and was really wishing that more time was spent on that.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Looking at things mentioned in this thread and outside lists, I just put this list together:

- The Stand
- It
- The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
- The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
- The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
- The Talisman
- Black House
- The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
- The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole
- Salem's Lot
- The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
- Everything’s Eventual, “The Little Sisters of Eluria”
- The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
- Everything’s Eventual, “Everything’s Eventual”
- Hearts in Atlantis, “Low Men in Yellow Coats”
- Insomnia
- The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower

I might skip Insomnia, The Talisman, and Black House
unless people heavily advise against it
. Honestly though, if I get through DT3 going by that list by the end of the year, I'll be lucky.

Onward with The Stand for now. I just got to the part where you learn that Nadine
has a hard on for Randall apparently. Sexy dark man dreams.

xrnzaaas

I'm currently catching up on some of Stephen King's books and among the ones I read this month The Green Mile was the best (my favorite one of all is The Stand). I was unsure about it for maybe about 100 pages, but then just had to read the rest in one sitting. Still haven't touched any Dark Tower, but I might later on if I manage to go on a longer vacation. ;)

You don't have to read anything else by King to enjoy The Dark Tower. I'm halfway through book 7 so i can't comment on that one, but the first six were fine, and I had only read Eyes of the Dragon before. There is certainly stuff in it that you can tell is connected to other books, but it's perfectly fine to have the series be the first King novels you read.

My ranking of the series would be:
Wizard & Glass > Drawing of the Three > Wolves of the Calla > The Waste Lands > The Gunslinger > Little Sisters of Eluria > Song of Susannah

Wizard, Drawing, and Wolves i'd consider to be the stand outs. Loved em. Wizard & Glass especially. Just an amazing book. I still have about 400 pages of book seven to go but so far i'd put it in between Wolves and Waste Lands.

Book seven spoiler:
whem Sheemie and Roland meet again on the mountain i cried. i cant remember the last time a book made me cry like that

Lol I gotta go finish book 7 already!

After finishing the awful Wolves

Screw the haters, Wolves rules! I feel like I'm the only person that likes Wolves more than The Waste Lands lol

Regarding The Dark Tower, I'd say:

Skip Eyes of the Dragon because it's just not a very good book.

I love Eyes of the Dragon but i'd also suggest skipping it. Just doesn't flow well with the rest of the series (maybe read it before or after, but not in-between DT books)

Also, The Wizard and Glass is the best of the series.

This guy gets it.

- The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
- Everything's Eventual, ”The Little Sisters of Eluria"

I'd suggest reading Little Sisters before Wolves.

Carn82

I agree with the W&G sentiment, great book. But for Dark Tower I would also recommend It, Salems Lot, and Hearts in Atlantis. And just work your way from there. I read Hearts after I read through the whole of Dark Tower and it made me cry. Good stuff.

- The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
- The Talisman
- Black House
- The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass

Also I'm not saying skip Talisman or Black House but you're probably gonna want to read III and IV back to back. Reading other stuff between books 2 and 3 is a better fit IMO.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs

It's very long and can be boring at times. The payoff with the DT connection was terrible I liked Insomonia, it had its moments for sure especially if you're into the town of Derry and the aftermath of IT.

Rose Madder has a single sentence that I guess counts as a DT reference. I do not recommend Rose Madder at all if you're goal is to read DT connections.

In terms of DT connections the most important are The Stand, Insomnia, and Salems Lot. All three of those have major characters that play a role in Dark Tower. Except Insomnia is not that great even though its DT connection is the most blatant of them all, so frankly you can skip it. IT is also classic King and has some connections to DT but they're more on the periphery. I don't remember if 11/22/63 has DT connections but it's fantastic, probably my favorite post-accident King novel along with Wind Through the Keyhole, which is such a wonderful fantasy story.

Also if you're gonna read IT, read it BEFORE 11/22/63.

IT was a fantastic read.

I really liked The Shining as well.
I'd even read Dr. Sleep if you enjoy the Shining. It's not as good, and it certainly isn't the same style/genre, but it's worth a read for the continuation of Dany's story.

hokahey

Welcome to the party. Spend some time with his short story collections. Nightmares and Dreamscapes is a masterpiece.

Varna

I've been on a King binge these last few months. I basically read (or reread in some cases) everything related to the Dark Tower in preparing for what's probably my fifth or sixth run through the series.

In all honestly, none of the tie in books are that important. People will site The Stand, Salem's Lot, IT, Insomnia, The Shining, etc but the connections there are dubious at best. The rules to King books change everything time and it all just feels like references more then anything. The DT series does have an explanation for connections being loose at best, but eh... it was a bit disappointing that there was nothing much gained from all that extra reading. Most of the stories are good though.

IT is essential reading. Not because it's story connection, but because it's basically a prototype for the Dark Tower story itself.

Salem's Lot was a bit disappointing. The important DT characters role is very brief and the DT book itself does a better job at telling the important part of his story. Not to mention this book was in no way as good as the book it was trying to pay tribute to.

Insomnia was pretty great. Probably the only book that definitely feels like a tie-in. It's pretty much the most important non-DT book.

Talisma/Black House are TERRIBLE. Black House has it's moments but the DT references are shoehorned and they don't even make any sense at all
. It's stated in the last book that there are enough breakers to finish the job regardless of weather they lose Ted or not. So why the fuck would they be so dead set on getting another super-awesome telepath?

As far as my ranking of the books....

The Drawing of the Three
The Wasteland
Wolves of the Calla
The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower
Song of Susannah
Wizard and Glass

Yeah, some folks will scratch their head in disbelief. There was a time when Wizard and Glass was #2 or #3 but in my latest reading if was the book that took the most effort to get through. The beginning and ending are amazing but the meat of the book is a chore to get through. The romance is terrible and it remind me very much of Star Wars: Episode 2. Two characters that have absolutely no reason to want to be together, but hey we need to have a tragic love story so here we go! I wouldn't have minded it so much, but the book lingers on it so much instead of focusing on the important parts of the story.

Oh Yeah, King does suck at writing ends... 11/23/63 and Insomnia did make me tear up though.

IT is essential reading. Not because it's story connection, but because it's basically a prototype for the Dark Tower story itself.

Salem's Lot was a bit disappointing. The important DT characters role is very brief and the DT book itself does a better job at telling the important part of his story. Not to mention this book was in no way as good as the book it was trying to pay tribute to.

As far as my ranking of the books....

I'm reading IT after I finish book 7 (and Wind through the Keyhole) and I can't wait to finally read it!

While I haven't read Salem's Lot that characters part in Wolves was the best part about that book (and one of the best things i've ever read)

I disagree with your ranking lol (W&G will always be my favorite) but yeah Drawing is easily #2, it fucking rules. I'm glad you have Wolves so high, it's hella underrated.

Top Bottom