• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasarts Adventure Games, Ranked (Kotaku)

Zak McKracken needs to be far higher

ed6607f218d67e6d7cc7acd3a782f6ec.jpg

Moff

I really agree with the top three, although I get the feeling that most people would put monkey2 or tentacle on the top position.
but atlantis has always been my favourite, of course I was a huge fan of the movies as a kid, so that helped.

I really agree with the top three, although I get the feeling that most people would put monkey2 or tentacle on the top position.
but atlantis has always been my favourite, of course I was a huge fan of the movies as a kid, so that helped.

triple paths is the best

But Curse of Monkey Island is the best Monkey Island. :/

I'll have what he's having. I'm in a mood for chaos and disorder!

I am absolutely fine with that list. Indiana Jones 4 was a masterpiece. But I don't consider Curse being a LucasArts adventure, it only shares the name of one of the greatest IPs ever created, but it's not a "Monkey Island" game. Seriously.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'd put The Dig even higher. It's still one of the best to revisit, the atmosphere and music are top notch. It's not super hard, my Dad and I beat it without solutions when I was little. Actually, you could argue the top 10 all day and not get anywhere.

Maniac Mansion also needs to be lower, it's not a very good game even if it is historically important.

Also I clearly need to play through Fate of Atlantis. I'm doing fairly well for games played on that list but Atlantis suddenly seems like a gaping hole in my knowledge!

I am absolutely fine with that list. Indiana Jones 4 was a masterpiece. But I don't consider Curse being a LucasArts adventure, it only shares the name of one of the greatest IPs ever created, but it's not a "Monkey Island" game. Seriously.

"Not even a Monkey Island game". Curse is the best one.

ultron87

I'd put Day of the Tentacle at number one but it is still a fine list.

The time travel puzzles in DOTT always felt super innovative. And the concept of Purple sprouting tiny little arms and that, plus intelligence, letting him take over the world was always hilarious to me. Also, colonial America jokes are great.

Tain

I am totally okay with that #1 spot.

Still haven't played McKraken, Escape from Monkey Island, or Labyrinth.

Tagyhag

Good list, still really want Indy and Hit the Road to be remastered.

I wonder if it would be weird to play Sam and Max Hit the Road when I'm so used to the Tell Tale version of those characters.

Nah they generally act the same, they're just not voiced aside from the intro.

Bedlam

Good list (I would've chosen a different order) except Escape From Monkey Island doesn't belong on this list in my opinion.

Gamezone

Gold Member
DIsney have the rights to everything there except maybe Labyrinth and definately not Sam & Max, which is shared with Steve Purcell...who works for Pixar...which is owned by disney lol

So Disney could develop another Monkey Island if they wanted to do so?

I know it is infamous, but there's a full skeleton lying the ground on the room before, you can't zoom in it though.
I know the solution as I've finished the game. My point is that is a clear example of them making an overly hard frustrating puzzle that doesn't require any real logic. It's a time sink,

dude

dude
Loom should be at least higher than Curse, come on!
Also, MI2 should be #1, but I'm also OK with the current order I guess.

Surprisingly solid list overall.

Zodzilla

Love Indy, but I always thought DOTT was the quintessential LucasArts game to me.

Curse being lower than The Dig, is kind of messed too.

Papapishu!

But by Disney we mean EA. RIP good old games.

?

Disney have already let TIm Schafer do remakes of Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle, and their media guy, Seth Davis has been very cool about getting the best lucasarts versions of x-wing & tie fighter on gog when inferior versions were initially released. No need to tar them with the EA brush.

I know the solution as I've finished the game. My point is that is a clear example of them making an overly hard frustrating puzzle that doesn't require any real logic. It's a time sink,

Don't require logic, but it doesn't ask you to use logic or figure it out yourself, just to copy what you see on the other skeleton. But yes, they could have made a better job.

soqquatto

what. the. fuck. Zak McKracken needs to be at least in top three, and in no way Sam & Max can be considered better than Monkey Island. Maniac Mansion is a beast of a game, with multiple paths, multiple ending, different characters to use, in a frigging c64.

there's plenty of good games in that list (except Escape from Monkey Island, that's 100% shit, even poor old Labyrinth wins by sheer effort) but the order is all wrong.
What do these hacks know? Go home Kotaku.

what. the. fuck. Zak McKracken needs to be at least in top three, and in no way Sam & Max can be considered better than Monkey Island. Maniac Mansion is a beast of a game, with multiple paths, multiple ending, different characters to use, in a frigging c64.

there's plenty of good games in that list (except Escape from Monkey Island, that's 100% shit, even poor old Labyrinth wins by sheer effort) but the order is all wrong.
What do these hacks know? Go home Kotaku.

I don't see what MM being done on a c64 (a great technical feat to be sure) has to do with its ranking today.

And it not only has multiple paths, multiple endings and different characters, it also has multiple dead ends which it doesn't tell you are dead ends (so you could play on forever with no hope of winning), and unless you're playing on the nes, the use of "what is", which feels very cumbersome today imo. Nes version is much better but sadly censored (and lacks mouse control) and still has some of the c64's dead ends.

If they released a version with the best of both worlds and all dead ends removed it would deserve to be a lot higher

Lol lechucks revenge in no.2 and curse is all the way at 10. Curse of monkey island imo is the best adventure game Lucasarts made. Should be no.1.

soqquatto

I don't see what MM being done on a c64 (a great technical feat to be sure) has to do with its ranking today.

And it not only has multiple paths, multiple endings and different characters, it also has multiple dead ends which it doesn't tell you are dead ends (so you could play on forever with no hope of winning), and unless you're playing on the nes, the use of "what is", which feels very cumbersome today imo. Nes version is much better but sadly censored (and lacks mouse control) and still has some of the c64's dead ends.

If they released a version with the best of both worlds and all dead ends removed it would deserve to be a lot higher

I don't agree with you, I strongly think that we always have to factor the time when a game was made to actually be able to comprehend its value. Maniac Mansion trumps the list (in my most humble opinion) not only because it had consistently great writing, interlocking puzzles and paths and excellent replayability (or even the possibility to have a different experience from the one your friend had), but because it was a blazing new concept executed masterfully. Maniac Mansion pioneered so many game elements and those give it a lot of "value". if we don't factor these things, then most of the older games are just shit. what's so special about Super Mario Bros? the guy moves like a buttered piece of soap, there's only three backgrounds and the bosses are always the same.

Full Throttle is in a good spot.

Grim...Grim as a game has some bullshit associated with it, but the overall presentation, story, humour, music, everything else is GRAND....so maybe #7 sounds about right.

I never finished Fate of Atlantis...might have to one of these days.

I just remembered I was never able to use the fighting system in FoA. Like I couldn't even get the controls to work. And I'm pretty sure the numpad key was on. I just sucker punched everyone IIRC.

Lucreto

Now I want a Sam and Max Remaster and a Curse of Monkey Island re-release.

Thanks for dredging up some old memories.

Top Bottom