• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shymalan's New Sci-Film (Written By GARY WHITTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He made two great films (The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable) and one good, albeit flawed film (Signs).

I think his biggest problem thus far has been the fact that he is an incompetent writer. His direction for the most part seems fine (although he does seem to have a knack for squeezing out the shittiest of performances from otherwise good actors), so I'm interested in seeing what he can do if the pencil is ripped from his paws and he's forced behind the camera.
I would add that The Village was quite well directed, as were parts of Lady in the Water.

The Happening however, that's where even his directing talents seemed to completely disappear. I don't know what the hell has happened to him now, or what to expect from him going forward. (I have not seen The Last Airbender)

Pairing the trailer with Jack Reacher seems like an odd choice.

I can't believe shymalan still gets work. He made one good movie (even a million monkeys etc...), the rest of his portfolio consists of some of the worst movies ever made. I can say this confidently and without hyperbole. So basically, what the hell is wrong with people?

Yep, Unbreakable.

Ledsen

He made two great films (The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable) and one good, albeit flawed film (Signs).

I think his biggest problem thus far has been the fact that he is an incompetent writer. His direction for the most part seems fine (although he does seem to have a knack for squeezing out the shittiest of performances from otherwise good actors), so I'm interested in seeing what he can do if the pencil is ripped from his paws and he's forced behind the camera.

Signs is one of the movies i was referring to. It's on my "3 worst movies I've ever seen" list. I think lady in the water makes top 5. I stopped watching his movies after that and continue to be baffled every time he gets to make another one.

Cartman86

Banned
Is a 1000 years enough for earth to have evolved to the point where it's built mechanisms to ward off humans? That doesn't make any sense to me.

No way. It's sort of the premise though. Sometimes you gotta accept "silly" premises in movies. Most of the time actually. The real issue comes when they constantly does it (The Core, Prometheus).

The video from the Comic-Con panel is now on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2kv6HsVYo

Also, inside the editing room:

RcMuU.png

has

i didn't asked for this

appeared on the thread?

congrats gary, you wrote the story which one of hollywoods most powerful stars chose to star in. I wish i had met you at the gaf meetup.

It's amazing to me that movie sites will pick up something that's pretty obviously a fan-made poster (albeit a very good one) and easily confirmable as such with about 30 seconds of research, but will just run with it as the real thing anyway. INTERNET JOURNALISM.

It's amazing to me that movie sites will pick up something that's pretty obviously a fan-made poster (albeit a very good one) and easily confirmable as such with about 30 seconds of research, but will just run with it as the real thing anyway. INTERNET JOURNALISM.

So what have YOU done for us recently?

After seeing The Day The Earth Stood Still remake and Karate Kid remake, I can't wait to see whatever Jaden Smith stars in now
He is a fine actor and his casting in movies has nothing do with his dad being a box office star or nepotism as some might think

Zen

Banned
.... Of course it does, what are you smoking?

There's a difference between getting the connections (like he has) and actually being able to pull it off, I think he has shown himself to be a worth while actor even if, in a regular life, he may not have been discovered.

Jb

There's a difference between getting the connections (like he has) and actually being able to pull it off, I think he has shown himself to be a worth while actor even if, in a regular life, he may not have been discovered.

I'm not saying he's bad (only saw him in Pursuit of Happiness and he was good in it), but if it wasn't for his dad there's very little chance that he would be front running in Karate Kid and this, good actor or not. I'd be willing to bet that Will Smith made Pursuit and AE mainly because he wanted to kickoff his son's career.

First test screening impression:

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/11oym1/i_saw_after_earth_the_will_smithjaden_smith_movie/

It was a fun science fiction movie that is meant for a teenage audience. The environments are great to look, I'm not talking Avatar quality but the rough scenes that I saw were very pleasing. The story is a nice mix of a survival/scifi/monster movie with a "coming of age" dusting on top. Will Smith is in a supporting role and Jaden has the majority of the screen time. I don't want to spoil too much so if you would like to know specifics about the plot or Shyamalan just ask me.

It's definitely tailored for teen audiences given the star is Jaden Smith. There is fighting between father and son and because Jaden is 14 he fills the role of the defiant and sometimes bratty teen. There are some heavier undertones in this movie though about forgiveness, letting go of fear, and survival. Adults will probably find it decent to watch, teens will likely find it more relateable and enjoyable.

Unbreakable captivated me because I cared about the characters. In After Earth you mostly just have Will Smith and Jaden Smith for the majority of the movie. I think Will did a great job but Jaden made me lose interest often enough because I couldn't really relate with him. So if you only like half the characters you're probably gonna have a bad time.

I don't think they could market it as a Will Smith vehicle, He is in it but Jaden is definitely the star and has the majority of the screen time. They hardly even share the screen together.

On Shyamalan:

This movie isn't going to change you opinion of him then. It's a fun movie at times, I chuckled a few times and had a decent time, but it's nothing like his original work.

I wouldn't say it's going to redeem his reputation. This was an average movie, but coming off of a streak of really bad movies maybe average is a good thing for Shyamalan. This is in no way close to his earlier work. I really liked Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, and even The Village and Lady in the Water, but this movie could have been directed by anyone. It looked like he went the safest route he could imagine.

It's not a comeback movie and it's definitely not anything that will blow your mind. This is a decent movie with a standard plot. There are no twists or overarching moral messages like what we have seen before from Shymalan. He plays it very safe with this movie.

Sounds like I'll skip it. Sorry Whitta. :(

LOL at your edit, Ex. I saw that you spoiler-spoilering whore!
I don't care.

I realized that the dude said it in the very last line, so need for me to repeat. There are LOTS more spoilers in that reddit thread if people are interested, but I have not looked at them.

jett

D-Member
A Whitta and Shyamalan movie with no twists!? It should have three twists at least.

Sons I am disappoint.

Sounds like I'll skip it. Sorry Whitta. :(

LOL at your edit, Ex. I saw that you spoiler-spoilering whore!
I don't care.

One anonymous test screen review and you throw in the towel?

Damn, at least wait for some well-known reviews, or a trailer, or something. YIKES.

Some of the so-called 'movie fanatics' on GAF who post in every single movie thread can be so fickle...maybe it's jealousy over the Whitta, who knows.

The Hermit

After Erf

and after The Happening ,Mark Wahlberg became my fav. comedy actor. I guess he realized so too, becasue he did Other Guys and TED after that...

Damn, at least wait for some well-known reviews, or a trailer, or something. YIKES.

Some of the so-called 'movie fanatics' on GAF who post in every single movie thread can be so fickle...maybe it's jealousy over the Whitta, who knows.

For reals. The film is over 8 months from hitting theaters, could be entirely different. Even if it wasn't I would never trust one person, even if they are the world's best critic or my best friend.

LOL of course not. Or I would have already resigned myself to skipping movies like Flight. The truth is that I was almost certain to skip this anyway due to the insufferable Jaden Smith, not to say anything of modern day Shyamalan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom