• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Was going to buy an iPad today, but I'm seeing some rumors that the iPad 3 may get a spec bump next week. I guess I should wait?

i doubt that will be a really significant bump. I haven't read any rumors about it though.
But wait out for this month if you can. Just to be sure.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/14/2012-imac-said-to-carry-thinner-design-alleged-internals-photo-surfaces/

The redesigned iMac is said to be considerably thinner than the current form factor, with the machine's thickness almost impossible to gauge when viewed from the side. The curved rear shell is also said to appear more like a water droplet than the squared-off design seen in the current model.

The report also claims that the new iMac's screen is glued to the front glass of the machine, in line with previous rumors stating that Apple is moving to fully laminate the two components together for improved display quality.

Also in line with previous rumors, the report suggests that Apple may first update the 21.5-inch model with the new design, which is said to maintain the existing "chin" below the display even as the body is tweaked with a thinner profile. The updated 27-inch model could then follow somewhat later, as has been suggested due to the challenges of laminating the larger display and glass with acceptable yields. The new iMacs are also said to be more expensive than the current models, but it is unclear how significant any pricing changes would be.

Finally, the report claims that Apple is indeed working toward a release of a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The notebook is said to already be in assembly in "Mexico and other places", with Chinese production coming later this month. The new 13-inch model is said to carry a code name of "D1", which fits with the "D2" code name that turned out to be the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

The report also seems to suggest that Apple will be tweaking the 15-inch model to address a few technical issues such as heat dissipation, but these changes will apparently be made behind the scenes and not be presented to consumers as an updated model.

cbox

Also wanted to know this but can you use a USB wifi dongle for better results?

I have an old usb wifi dongle that I'm trying to get the drivers for, but it's proving more difficult.

My router is in another room so the wifi is impossible for me apparently then, pretty bad flaw in the design that I hope was fixed in later imacs.

Chris R

134 cycles isn't that much on my '11 13" MBA right? Opened it up today and it showed "Service Battery" but I'm wondering if that might just be because it was rather cold before I opened it up...

Dragnet

Just wanted to vent about my rMBP. First one was fine for a week, then developed a bright spot. Replacement screen had ghosting issues. Further replacement ALSO had ghosting issues. Most recent replacement has 'Opera Lighting' and needs replacing.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Rev. A Mac products always seem to have issues or aren't quite up to snuff. The same problem occurred with the original MacBook Air, regular MacBook Pro, and Mac mini. The retina MacBook Pro is no exception.

Sullichin

Decided to cancel my MBA order last minute and go with the Retina MacBook Pro from which I am now typing (base model). Hope I don't run into any of the ghosting problems I'm reading about. The screen is amazing. The colors seem a bit too warm compared to my old MBP though.

Iacobellis

Just wanted to vent about my rMBP. First one was fine for a week, then developed a bright spot. Replacement screen had ghosting issues. Further replacement ALSO had ghosting issues. Most recent replacement has 'Opera Lighting' and needs replacing.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

I hope Apple does quietly update it before the end of the year. I don't want to wait until next year for the screen issues to be fixed.

I hope Apple does quietly update it before the end of the year. I don't want to wait until next year for the screen issues to be fixed.

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening and it may even impact the release of the 13" retina. Both Samsung and LG are having their issues. Before, it was Samsung that was generally considered the better of the two display makers. Apple may need to start looking elsewhere while they work out issues with their starters.

Iacobellis

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening and it may even impact the release of the 13" retina. Both Samsung and LG are having their issues. Before, it was Samsung that was generally considered the better of the two display makers. Apple may need to start looking elsewhere while they work out issues with their starters.

Sharp.

Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade my video card for the first time ever. Rocking a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 and have had the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT this whole time. Looking to possibly upgrade to an ATI 5770.

My main question regards what differences, if any, exist between all the different manufacturers of this card? I see some for Asus, I see some specifically for Apple, I see others that don't specify.

For example, is there any difference between this and this besides the latter tending to go for $100 more (everywhere, not just on eBay)?

I've already checked the supported video card list for Lion and the 5770 has come recommended as far as not-terribly-expensive graphics cards are concerned. Any thoughts?

The thin cloth lip inside the slot drive of my iMac is loose. Now it just kind of hangs out of the opening. It is still attached at the ends, but the middle just sags out. Weird

fabprems

Sullichin

Scrolling on Chrome definitely feels more sluggish than Safari on my rMBP. Kind of annoying since it's such a fast machine otherwise and Chrome is my preferred browser.

EDIT: Enabling GPU threading in Chrome seems to make it better. Facebook is still a bit jumpy, possibly because it's only scrolling a div within the window and not the whole page? 60FPS scrolling on this page and ~35-50 on shitty Facebook. But now that I'm checking, it's the same deal on my old MacBook anyway.

th3dude

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but what do you all think the chances are of a small refresh of the full size iPad? I was ready to buy one yesterday then saw the news of the iPad mini event next week and started thinking twice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Rumours of a refreshed Mac Mini now too.

Wonder of they'll shrink it down further?
All they have to do is fill it with Air-style parts (All Flash internals) and they can make it even thinner and narrower while also making it super fast. I'd buy a 64GB version to replace my C2D server.

Iacobellis

Scrolling on Chrome definitely feels more sluggish than Safari on my rMBP. Kind of annoying since it's such a fast machine otherwise and Chrome is my preferred browser.

EDIT: Enabling GPU threading in Chrome seems to make it better. Facebook is still a bit jumpy, possibly because it's only scrolling a div within the window and not the whole page? 60FPS scrolling on this page and ~35-50 on shitty Facebook. But now that I'm checking, it's the same deal on my old MacBook anyway.

There's an app to force your MacBook to Intel HD 4000 or the Nvidia 650M graphics. It will drain your battery faster, but you might get better browsing performance.

TUSR

Banned
There's an app to force your MacBook to Intel HD 4000 or the Nvidia 650M graphics. It will drain your battery faster, but you might get better browsing performance.

There is a chrome setting to use GPU acceleration. Improves scrolling greatly with minimal battery impact.

Look into that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wonder how thin it'll be compared to the current 13" MBP and MBA.
My bet is it'll be exactly the same thing as the 15" in details and thinness, but with a smaller narrower frame. Just like the normal Pro's are and the Air's are. Same thickness, smaller frame size.

And that's all I want. I got this 13" Air to hold me over. I will definitely make a 13" Retina Pro Revision B my next computer next fall or so.

Burai

shitonmychest57
All they have to do is fill it with Air-style parts (All Flash internals) and they can make it even thinner and narrower while also making it super fast. I'd buy a 64GB version to replace my C2D server.

Ugh, no.

The mini isn't a portable computer to carry around all day. There's no need for soldered, non-upgradeable parts to get it thinner.

My plan is to get the bottom-end model, and fit my own cheap 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD using the iFixit cable kit and fit 8GB of cheap RAM.

th3dude

I can't imagine they do that. It's not that old yet.

The speculation I'm seeing is to throw the IZGO screen, new charging connector, and update the CPU to the A6. None of which seem too crazy.

I also doubt it, but I can't bring myself to buy one until after the conference.

Majine

Banned
The speculation I'm seeing is to throw the IZGO screen, new charging connector, and update the CPU to the A6. None of which seem too crazy.

It all seems plausible, but they are not going to update it now. Especially when they are releasing the iPad Mini, a new product in the same category.

I wish they'd increase the size of the smallest iMac from 21.5, or introduce a middle option. 27 inch is too big for my setup, but I'd buy a 24 inch one in a heartbeat.

What's the likeliest 13 inch MBPr price?

yeah, thanx for posting it on the next page.

Anyway, i still want the 27" if it seems any good specs wise. I'm still not too keen on retina's on a iMac right now. There seem to be a lot of issues on MAcbok Pro's.

I'm also keeping an eye on the new mac mini. If it's powerfull enough i might get that and a good Eizo screen.

But i rather see a nice powerful iMac...

I'm giessing the Macbookpro 13 inch and the mac mini will get little attention at the event. Maybe the imac will get a lot of attention. Depends on how much of a redesign it is. It would be smart to give it a lot of attention.

There seem to be problems with the glueing process of the glass on the new iMac (rumor). tiny air spaces between the glass and the case when it dries up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope the new iMac models are just a thin, flat screen.

I also doubt it, but I can't bring myself to buy one until after the conference.

They don't seem too crazy for the next model. They sure as hell seem crazy for a mid cycle refresh, of which there is no precedent.

Dreaver

My mother bought a Apple Airport Express yesterday. Now we are having troubles using it. I'll try to write it down as good as I can:

She wants to use the Airport Express as a music receiver (so not as a router). She added the device to the network (via the install program). Now we are having problems using it.

First of all, most of the time we don't even see the 'speaker icon' in iTunes (it simply isn't there). Here is the icon I mean (shitty image from the internet):

itunes.jpg

We saw it a few times, when we tried to play music it gave some error ("Can't connect... blabla error -15000"). However the icon is gone again. Very, very weird.

I tried it from my own computer upstairs, I saw the icon and tried it and it worked (it even played music). However, the icon seems to be gone now as well...

but now it's gone.
- Yes we tried different computers
- Tried setting off antivirus
- Tried turning of Windows Firewall
- Tried turning/lowering the router firewall... but I can't find the option for it.

Configuration:
- Acer laptop on WiFi (with newest iTunes installed).
- Newest Airport Express (802.11n Wi-Fi), enabled on the network. (WiFI)
- Arcadyan VGV7519 aka KPN Experia Box V8 router

Does anyone know how to "fix" this? I'm pretty sure it has to do with the firewall. Is there ANY way to fix this? (a new router isn't a option because we are forced to use this one, it uses telephone/television/fiberglass).

Eric WK

My mother bought a Apple Airport Express yesterday. Now we are having troubles using it. I'll try to write it down as good as I can:

Just looking at the issue quickly, you're trying to use two routers. I ran into a lot of problems trying to use my Linksys router with a forced modem/router combination when I upgraded my internet and had to drop the Linksys completely.

There may be a workaround or something else going on in your case, but that's been my experience.

Top Bottom