• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Do you guys think Apple will ever release a bigger screen MacBook Pro? Or is 15in. the highest they will go to?

17" is probably dead bro. I have one and love it, but the market spoke. People weren't buying enough of them.

For a solid 17", consider the Razer Blade, HP Elitebook, and Dell Precision Workstation.

The discrete mini needs a graphics chip with at least 512 MB maybe of the nVidia GeForce 640M (or LE if they go that route). 630 is too low over the Radeon 6630M and it cannot have 256 MB. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Otherwise I'll wait for Haswell.

Sullichin

Anyone else feel the rMBP screen isn't bright enough? I've read online it's not as bright as older models and my 2009 screen looks brighter to me - although the rMBP display is better in every other way, obviously. And it definitely has less glare. I suppose I will get used to the dimmer screen, but I keep trying to increase the brightness when it's at max.

Sanic

I have some questions for you guys.

My netbook essentially died on me recently, and I made a thread asking for suggestions on a new one. I didn't really get much help there, so I went digging around and I've sorta come to the conclusion that, purely from a hardware standpoint, the MacBook air is probably the best 11" computer I could buy.

Now, $999 is obviously much more than a netbook would cost, and last time I spent a decent chunk of change on a laptop I was totally burned. That, combined with the fact that I've never owned a Mac makes me feel a but uneasy.

1.) is OSX optimized in such a way that it would be realistic to assume I could still be using this thing in, say, six years, unlike my last $800 windows machine.

2,) I need the windows version of office, so I'm going to be using bootcamp/parallels. I noticed when you install parallels that you need to set aside a pool of memory for windows. Is there no way to make this dynamic? 1gb is probably too little, but 2gb is probably too much, as I'll be using it just to launch into office from OSX.

1.) is OSX optimized in such a way that it would be realistic to assume I could still be using this thing in, say, six years, unlike my last $800 windows

I still happily use a Mac Pro from 2006. I replaced a MacBook from late 2006 with an 11" MacBook Air a year ago because it was getting too old and slow. The biggest limitation was the RAM and HDD speed. If I could've gone to 4 GB I would have popped in an SSD.

Six years is probably doable, but you'll really appreciate the upgrade at the end of that time. I think getting the most RAM makes sense, since it cannot be upgraded later.

zychi

Banned
What is the best remote desktop app for the iPad that I can use to control my MBP?
ive been using team viewer via iphone to pc,it works great on mac too apparently, got it in anticipation of getting a retina macbook to remote into my pc connected to my hdtv. its also free. google that shit

ive been using team viewer via iphone to pc,it works great on mac too apparently, got it in anticipation of getting a retina macbook to remote into my pc connected to my hdtv. its also free. google that shit

A friend of mine was using that but the lag was pretty bad and the colors were off. Was it just his internet/network?

Krelian

2,) I need the windows version of office, so I'm going to be using bootcamp/parallels. I noticed when you install parallels that you need to set aside a pool of memory for windows. Is there no way to make this dynamic? 1gb is probably too little, but 2gb is probably too much, as I'll be using it just to launch into office from OSX.
Nobody seems to have answered this, so I'll give it a try. Why do you need the Windows version? There's a Mac version that would be a lot more straightforward to use. If you insist on the Windows version, know that you won't be able to dynamically allocate memory to your virtual machine, so I recommend 2GB right away. If you want to run that VM all the time or most of the time make sure to get at least 8GB RAM in total.

nib95

Banned
FFS...

Well, don't know if you guys remember, I swapped a MBPr because my original one creaked loads. Well, I'm sending this one back and might have to be done with it for the time being. Turns out I have an LG screen version.

Did the same Lagom LCD tests and low and behold, the contrast and black accuracy of this one is much worse than my last (which I'm assuming was a Samsung panel). I can't even see the entire top bar of black squares on the black contrast grid and I could see them perfectly before. Add to that, I tested for image retention, and fuck, I get that too.

Seriously, what's with Apple and quality control these days. I find it ironic that the Samsung panels on these Retina's are the "good" ones.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've been thinking of doing it to test W8, but my internal disk is almost full, so maybe putting it on an external. Not sure how optimal that is tho.

I want to try out the multitouch features with the trackpad but I don't want a gimped OS due to Apple not supporting it...yet.

Pachimari

What is the difference between the two 27" iMacs?

I see these:

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

Would I feel any difference in these differences?

I'll use it for creating websites with Dreamweaver and Photoshop primarily with languages as PHP, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript etc.

I MIGHT use it for video editing sometime in the future but that's probably some years out in the horizon.

Pachimari

Yeah, so I can buy the cheaper one of the 27" model. I did buy the most expensive one last year before returning it and I didn't think it was worth the money.

Though I do need the bigger screen and comfort for my education and website creations.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
My Core i3 iMac is running smoothly but I am rapidly running out out of internal storage. The fastest port on it id FW800, so I wan considering just buying a FW 800 drive and booting from it. Does anyone have any real world experience with this in terms of performance?

Before anyone says anything I have no interest in opening the case, so please do not suggest that.

I see these:

I'll use it for creating websites with Dreamweaver and Photoshop primarily with languages as PHP, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript etc.

I MIGHT use it for video editing sometime in the future but that's probably some years out in the horizon.

I'm in the same position. Would the 3.1 GHz be better for watching HD videos, listening to music, and browsing the web?

Number45

I wouldn't have thought it would make a great deal of difference for music or browsing, but the better spec would help with HD videos (not sure that's enough of a justification, given the 2.7Ghz likely wouldn't have any problems).

Anyhoo, as has been said wait for tomorrow as we're expecting a refresh.

Iacobellis

I see these:

You will very likely see better OS and video performance with the better GPU and extra VRAM.

Sanic

I can't seem to get Windows installed via bootcamp and searching hasn't really brought much help.

When I run through the utility, I get an error stating that Bootcamp assistant was unable to copy the windows files to the USB drive. I've tried a few different solutions i've seen posted elsewhere and i've tried them all outside of buying a new flash drive. Any tips?

Also, what's contained in the "other" section listed under storage space? It was over 7gb this morning and has grown to nearly ten. What is this data, and is it possible to delete any of it?

I can't seem to get Windows installed via bootcamp and searching hasn't really brought much help.

When I run through the utility, I get an error stating that Bootcamp assistant was unable to copy the windows files to the USB drive. I've tried a few different solutions i've seen posted elsewhere and i've tried them all outside of buying a new flash drive. Any tips?

Also, what's contained in the "other" section listed under storage space? It was over 7gb this morning and has grown to nearly ten. What is this data, and is it possible to delete any of it?

I had the same problem so I burned Windows on a disc at the slowest burn speed possible and did it that way. Sorry for the dp.

rpmurphy

I got a Mac Air, and I'm trying to download purchased music from two different accounts that I have. I downloaded iTunes stuff from one account (as well as some apps from the app store), and then signed out and then into the other one. When I try to download from iTunes, it says that the machine is already associated with an Apple ID and that I have to do a transfer which will lock me out of downloading stuff from the first account for 90 days. What is this and how do I get around it?

So I've been thinking that I might replace my 2006 Mac Pro with a quad-core Mac Mini with discrete graphics. I'd throw a couple of SSDs inside, and then put my four 3.5" HDDs in a Thunderbolt enclosure.

As I kill time before the rumoured announcement, I can't help but notice that no one is selling empty Thunderbolt enclosures. Anyone else have stronger Google-fu than I?

I found one that was at a trade show covered by AnandTech, but there's no product page and no one sells it. I found another from a Taiwanese maker, but again, not for sale.

gokieks

New 13" MBP offers zero surprises, and is very attractive. Wish the $1700 price was 256GB SSD though - that would've made it a no-brainer when I replace my 2011 13" MBA.

Refreshed Mac mini is still overpriced, but not a bad machine for just very basic work.

I don't get the new iMac, honestly. It's stupid thin... pointlessly so. It's not like you can remove it from the stand and mount it or anything, so what exactly is the point of shaving a bit more off the depth at the expense of optical drive, discrete GPU (nevermind, it still has that), and repair-ability? The SSD cache is nice, I guess, but I'd rather have pure SSD.

JavyOO7

If I could somehow trade it my Mini 2011 base for Mini 2012 quad core $699 version I would. I'll be waiting next year though until I get more money. Just happy that between $599 and $699 at least one of them have a quad core set up now instead of the server one like last year.

And the new iMac looks great.

Asking in a different thread since the event thread is ignoring my question:

Can you or have you ever been able to pre-order an iMac on Apple's website?

iMac 21" for $1299 or wait for the iMac 27" for $1799...do I really need a screen that big? Decisions, decisions.

I do. And now i wait and use the old mac Mini for another month or two.
Gives me more time to save up and learn a bit more about it.

For storage, i prefer SSD inside and HDD external. Less heat in dat thin body

did apple ever announce the thunderbolt display during a keynote or did new versions just pop up in the site one day? i wonder if they plan on making a super thin one similar to the new imac.

did apple ever announce the thunderbolt display during a keynote or did new versions just pop up in the site one day? i wonder if they plan on making a super thin one similar to the new imac.

If they can make it with the same reduce in glare, thin etc, i might even consider this with a Mac mini maxed out (haha, sounds weird i know. but it does the job well).

Korosenai

With the newly announced 13" mbp with retina, i have a question:

What macbook would be the best to get as of right now?

Macbook air, 13", or 15"?

Just looking for which one would give me the most bang for my buck.

If they can make it with the same reduce in glare, thin etc, i might even consider this with a Mac mini maxed out (haha, sounds weird i know. but it does the job well).

yeah that would be solid. i would just really love the extra usb 3.0 and thunderbolt ports. not to mention how sexy and thin it is..good lord.

Ephemeris

With the newly announced 13" mbp with retina, i have a question:

What macbook would be the best to get as of right now?

Macbook air, 13", or 15"?

Just looking for which one would give me the most bang for my buck.

That's a great question. The 13's price is just so close to the 15's. And the current Air's as awesome as it always has been, but spec wise it comes up lacking a bit.

But it's cheaper though!

(I'm in the same boat lol)

MrMephistoX

God this pisses me off, I just got the retina display for school a month or so ago before the term started and now they re-release the identical model with a full 500 GB SSD? FUCK THIS I'm craigslisting this motherfucker ASAP. I can understand a year or so down the line but this is a serious burn for Apple fans.

[Edit] Yeah guys about that...my bad misread the apple spec page lol.

Top Bottom