• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

jcutner

Anyone know why Flash performance has turned to shit in Mountain Lion?

I have a mid-09 13" MBP and I used to be able to play back 720p youtube content flawlessly, but since the update, it's choppy as all hell.

Any fixes?

Samyy

Any recommendations on how to clean the inside of my Macbook Pro (2011)? I noticed the fan is running louder more often, I believe its due to dust accumulation and its getting really annoying.

oatmeal

Banned
What's the best place to get a replacement bottom case for my Macbook Pro?

I got in a car accident almost a year ago and it's all dented up and looks ugly. Performance is fine, it's just blah looking.

Considering upgrading soon and would like to sell this and want to make it appear a little prettier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I got in a car accident almost a year ago and it's all dented up and looks ugly. Performance is fine, it's just blah looking.

Considering upgrading soon and would like to sell this and want to make it appear a little prettier.
You mean just the cover that screws on? Or the whole thing? Because I am betting since the entire case is made from a single block of aluminum, you probably can't just get one part. Take it to an Apple Store for an estimate.

Anyway, just a stupid anecdote. The 3TB Western Digital Elements drives I've been buying for my media serving and backing up are sold out all over NewEgg and are on Amazon for almost 3 times the price they used to be because they no longer make them. *sigh* Guess I have to look into a new brand for my next 3TB drive. Sucks. My OCD is going to hate that they don't match. I just needed one more 3TB Elements to finally get rid of the few 2 and 1TB drives I have and get it down to just 4 3TB drives.

VPhys

What the real said. Also,you might want to consider a skin as a cheaper option, although it may not hide the dents.

What are the next "big" things that will or should arrive in Mac's within the coming years?

I have a mid-2010 MBP and am just gauging how many years I can hold out before I want to upgrade, since as of now no new Macs have anything compelling me to upgrade.

Since I don't follow this stuff, what should or might be included in future Macs? Custom Apple-built chips like in the iPhone 5? Different ports? Any new technology just being introduced this year?

Haswell is coming out next year. But, if you ask my opinion, retina alone is with the upgrade to the current generation.

coldfoot

Banned

eBay for both. Around $50 for brand new bottom cover and anywhere between $50-$250 on the top case (chassis) depending on condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-G...982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c9888936
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ma...517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b8fd7fd

njean777

What are the next "big" things that will or should arrive in Mac's within the coming years?

I have a mid-2010 MBP and am just gauging how many years I can hold out before I want to upgrade, since as of now no new Macs have anything compelling me to upgrade.

Since I don't follow this stuff, what should or might be included in future Macs? Custom Apple-built chips like in the iPhone 5? Different ports? Any new technology just being introduced this year?

Really with the way computers are going you probably will not have to upgrade till late 2013-mid 2014 at the earliest. The reason I say this is because most likely for the next 2-3 years we will see retina become the new default for macbooks and by 2014-2015 the prices will have come down for them not to charge a premium for Retina. This is all just my opinion of course. I have a gaming pc along with my macbook pro and really see no need in updating the macbook until 2016 at the earliest. I like my laptops to last a good 4-5 years before upgrading them.

DemonNite

Confusing one this (not that I'm complaining) but I bought the new macbook air back in June and went through the Higher Education line to receive all the benefits... one of those was 3 years free Base Applecare (but 1 year phone support only) for UK customers.

However, just today 3 months later I got an email from Apple confirming my purchase of the Applecare Uplift option? this was an extra during checkout that I didn't purchase.

My service status on the website hasn't been updated though so might just be an error but wondered if this happened to anyone else here?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have a brand new 15" MBP, and I have a Magic Mouse that has always worked fine. I was using it at work yesterday afternoon, then turned off bluetooth before putting the computer to sleep. When I opened the computer this morning and went to turn bluetooth back on, the bluetooth icon in the status bar said that BT was 'not available'. I rebooted the computer and now the BT icon is completely gone.

I checked the Apple support forums and tried a couple of their recommendations, including fixing my disk permissions and resetting the SMC, but it's still not showing up. Any ideas? This is some Windows-level bullshit and another reason for me to hate Mountain Lion, as I have never had as many problems with OSX as I've had with this version.

UPDATE: I ended up calling Apple support and they determined that the bluetooth module went bad. Lovely. Now I have to go to an Apple store, which is basically my idea of hell on earth.

Chuckl3s

I didn't want to make another Apple thread but this is kinda awesome and going to a good cause.

30SJf.jpg

A year ago the world lost a force of nature in technology. Steve Jobs’ willpower, creative vision and business instincts disrupted no less than 9 different industries and inspired us all to try and achieve insanely great things.

In his honour we have crafted three MacBook Pro Retina’s, based on the design by Hong Kong-based artist Jonathan Mak. We’ve meticulously cut the silhouette of Jobs from the edges of the Apple logo and filled it up again with the highest quality epoxy. And each has the beautiful but lesser known " You can change things" quote by Steve Jobs laser-tattooed on the bottom, as a covert mantra for inspiration.

All proceeds from this auction will be evenly split between the charity Get It Done and a fund that we are setting up with the people at SellanApp, dedicated to creating iOS apps (yes, iOS, it’s an tribute, guys) that don’t have a direct business model, but have a clear societal value. Read more about them here.

Limited edition, limitless possibilities.
It goes without saying the Retina MacBooks have top-of-the-line configurations, with 2,7 Ghz, 16GB memory and 750GB solid state drive, to make sure a limited edition still allows for limitless creativity.

http://uncovermac.com/#tribute

Auction Here

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Is there any way to use USB headphones while AirPlay Mirroring from my MBP to my Apple TV? Every time I change the Sound output to USB headphones, AirPlay turns off. Any way around this?

nib95

Banned
Just to chime in, I posted earlier I had a new MBPro Retina that was creaking. Well, I got my replacement and hurrah! This one does not creak. At least I don't think so anyway lol. Very pleased!

zychi

Banned
anyone have any recommendation for mac to pc remote desktop apps? I'm looking for free, and most of the ones I see that are compatible on both mac and pc want you to pay to drag and drop and other simple tasks. I just want to be able to remotely access my HTPC from my mac.

LogMeIn seems like the best, but again it costs money, and I don't want to spend any.

Iacobellis

Hoping to get a MacBook with Retina Display this holiday, would be quite the upgrade from my 2009 15" MacBook Pro.

Going with the baseline model, I want to be sure of what I should upgrade since I have no other time to do it. Would $100 for 2.6GHz make any noticeable difference in web browsing and video or photo editing? Also, would 16GB help down the road? The 4GB in my current MacBook is showing its age, so I don't feel like 8GB would be enough with future OS upgrades. I plan to use the computer for three to four years before getting a new one.

Sullichin

Just ordered a 13 inch MacBook Air (8GB RAM upgrade) to replace my 15 inch 2009 MacBook Pro. I'm going to miss having 750GB of space but it should be a lot snappier and the increased portability will be nice.

Any MBA owners who use xcode? How's the performance? My core 2 duo struggles building a simple app.

LCfiner

benchmarks at macworld for their MBPr review showed the extra 0.3 GHz having a minimal effect. take that money (and 100 more) and upgrade the RAM. you may not need 16 GB now but you might appreciate it in 2 or 3 years just for everyday stuff.

Iacobellis

benchmarks at macworld for their MBPr review showed the extra 0.3 GHz having a minimal effect. take that money (and 100 more) and upgrade the RAM. you may not need 16 GB now but you might appreciate it in 2 or 3 years just for everyday stuff.

Okay, thanks. I hope the 650M doesn't slow down soon. My 9400M can't keep up very well with the gestures from Lion.

anyone have any recommendation for mac to pc remote desktop apps? I'm looking for free, and most of the ones I see that are compatible on both mac and pc want you to pay to drag and drop and other simple tasks. I just want to be able to remotely access my HTPC from my mac.

LogMeIn seems like the best, but again it costs money, and I don't want to spend any.

Team viewer is multi platform and free for private use. Also works with your smart phone which is neat :)

coldfoot

Banned
Hoping to get a MacBook with Retina Display this holiday, would be quite the upgrade from my 2009 15" MacBook Pro.

Going with the baseline model, I want to be sure of what I should upgrade since I have no other time to do it. Would $100 for 2.6GHz make any noticeable difference in web browsing and video or photo editing? Also, would 16GB help down the road? The 4GB in my current MacBook is showing its age, so I don't feel like 8GB would be enough with future OS upgrades. I plan to use the computer for three to four years before getting a new one.

Get the ram upgrade since it's soldered. The SSD can always be upgraded (albeit not cheaply) because it's not soldered, but it's a daughterboard with a custom form factor. Don't bother with the CPU it'll still be fast enough down the road.

Iacobellis

Get the ram upgrade since it's soldered. The SSD can always be upgraded (albeit not cheaply) because it's not soldered, but it's a daughterboard with a custom form factor. Don't bother with the CPU it'll still be fast enough down the road.

Thanks, I most likely won't even need to upgrade from the 256GB as I wasn't close to filling up the old 250GB HDD that came with my current MacBook. If I do get desperate enough, I have an external HDD I can backup files I don't need on a day-to-day basis like my iPhoto Library or documents.

RBH

Is there any way that I can copy multiple photos from iPhoto and past them into Microsoft Word without having to copy-and-paste one photo at a time?

cbox

So I recently acquired a core duo 17" iMac. It works perfectly but the wifi is painfully slow. I am getting a max of 10kbps, any thoughts? Why I've read on google didn't really help, some people said to move the machine closer to the router, it was right next to it when I ran the initial test.

Plugging in is fine, but not really feasible for where I want to keep it.

So I recently acquired a core duo 17" iMac. It works perfectly but the wifi is painfully slow. I am getting a max of 10kbps, any thoughts? Why I've read on google didn't really help, some people said to move the machine closer to the router, it was right next to it when I ran the initial test.

not just closer to the router, but aiming theApple logo on the back at the router. That's where the antenna is.

Anyway.. it's a sucky hardware failure imo. Design is nice but it should work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i rather not see them use a retina display. A waste on sizes like that and eats powah.

Everyone always says "who needs that" or "what a waste" when something new is out. Let's not get into it and just deal with the ever welcome progress of technology for once.

Everyone always says "who needs that" or "what a waste" when something new is out. Let's not get into it and just deal with the ever welcome progress of technology for once.

I'm not like that. I do welcome it. On my iphone 4 and ipad 3. Love it.
But i think it would make the iMac too expensive right now. And at the cost of power.
As a designer i wouldn't mind 300dpi 1:1 resolution on a desktop screen, but it means that almost every application right now would look like shit on it. Every thing would require needlessly more power.

Rather not. The sceen will probably be an improvement anyway. Even without Retina.

th3dude

Was going to buy an iPad today, but I'm seeing some rumors that the iPad 3 may get a spec bump next week. I guess I should wait?

shira

Also wanted to know this but can you use a USB wifi dongle for better results?

Top Bottom