• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Kusagari

So I started having a problem today on my MacBook Pro where my mouse goes crazy for a period of time, moving on its own. Then it stops for about an hour or so and then does it again for another 2-3 minutes.

I looked online and found people having the problem but nobody seemed to have a fix or explanation for what it was.

Anyone here dealt with this or know if it's a virus/hardware problem or what?

I had the same problem on a Mini. Turns out it was a nearly invisible hair across the optical sensor. I was going mad. If you're using the trackpad, I have no idea.

Ravidrath

Permissions?!

Have you checked the Console for panic.log? You may be having Kernel Panics, which auto-reboot on newer OSes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic#Mac_OS_X

I just hit all the things that said "Repair" or "Verify" to make sure everything was good.

Anyway, the problem was with my SMC - reset that and got in fine. I'd already done the work for a full reformat, so I went ahead and did that anyway.

Now another question...

In all of this, I learned that my battery is apparently now incapable of holding a charge. I'm still under Apple Care - will the store replace my battery for free?

How's the app scene on OSX side of things? From a developer's perspective? Obviously not as lucrative as iOS, but I'd imagine the top selling apps are bringing in a good amount for developers no?

Any site have developers speaking in depth about it?

In all of this, I learned that my battery is apparently now incapable of holding a charge. I'm still under Apple Care - will the store replace my battery for free?

Depends on the number of cycles. If you're below the expected amount it's covered. I have no idea what that number is, but it's supposed to be quite high on Macs without user-replacable batteries.

Number45

Looking to pick up the 13" MBA (probably the 256GB model, I just don't think 128GB will be enough). I'm going to pay for the 8GB, but I'm not convinced the i7 upgrade is worth it for me.

Usage will be primarily browsing, with some photo editing and (I'm assuming it'll run it OK) some WoW every now and again.

Sound about right?

coldfoot

Banned
Looking to pick up the 13" MBA (probably the 256GB model, I just don't think 128GB will be enough). I'm going to pay for the 8GB, but I'm not convinced the i7 upgrade is worth it for me.

Usage will be primarily browsing, with some photo editing and (I'm assuming it'll run it OK) some WoW every now and again.

Sound about right?

I got that exact config + i7. I don't think the GPU will be very good for 3D games...

Ravidrath

So after my whole SMC ordeal this weekend, I went ahead and reformatted and reinstalled everything.

...Now, somehow, my Mac is slower than it was before.

Loading, window openings, etc. are all kind of herky-jerky. Tumblr is almost unusable now, and it was silky-smooth before.

Any thoughts?

It's a MacBook Pro 8,2 (Early 2011) with 8 gigs of RAM and an SSD. The herky-jerkiness sounds like it could come from the SSD, but I don't understand why it wouldn't have done this until now.

Dennis

Banned
I am considering the new 13" Retina Display MacBook Pro but concerned with the functionality of the Retina Display.

Can anyone share their experience of using programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Word or PowerPoint? Does it work or is it problematic?

Chris R

I got that exact config + i7. I don't think the GPU will be very good for 3D games...
Wow runs fine at lower settings on the hd3000 in my 13" MBA with an i5. So the hd4000 in the newer MBA with an i7 will run wow (and other games at medium settings) just fine.

How's the app scene on OSX side of things? From a developer's perspective? Obviously not as lucrative as iOS, but I'd imagine the top selling apps are bringing in a good amount for developers no?

Any site have developers speaking in depth about it?

Other than Apple being quite slow with reviewing Mac apps & taking 30% (it'd be nice if it were lower to make up for lack of sales / higher prices), I think it's pretty good. I know my two apps probably would have never reached as many people as it has without the Mac App Store.

But I really don't there are any sites with developers discussing it... other than maybe Apple's official Developer Forums?

coldfoot

Banned
I really REALLY wish Microsoft made its own premium computers like what they did with the Surface. I would not buy any other as I hate ALL PC manufacturers and I'm completely against software and hardware from different vendors. I would have stayed in the Windows world then.
Word 2011 can't send a document as an e-mail attachment to Apple Mail...this is really frustrating.

TUSR

Banned
I really REALLY wish Microsoft made its own premium computers like what they did with the Surface. I would not buy any other as I hate ALL PC manufacturers and I'm completely against software and hardware from different vendors. I would have stayed in the Windows world then.
Word 2011 can't send a document as an e-mail attachment to Apple Mail...this is really frustrating.
You don't say.

JayDub

Why not just attach it manually? Or drag and drop in the mail window?

And agreed about MS creating their own PC. That would be amazing.

coldfoot

Banned
Why not just attach it manually? Or drag and drop in the mail window?

And agreed about MS creating their own PC. That would be amazing.

Because attaching it manually is more hassle. You also can't drag the word window to the e-mail. you have to navigate to the folder in the finder and then drag it. It's a pain in the ass.

Because attaching it manually is more hassle. You also can't drag the word window to the e-mail. you have to navigate to the folder in the finder and then drag it. It's a pain in the ass.

Assuming you've saved it, just drag the icon in the title bar to the left of the name to Mail's dock icon.

Valravn

I can exchange my MBP 15" late 2011 for a big discount on a macbook air 13" 256 GB at an Apple Reseller Store. The MBP i have now is not very portable (i travel alot) and since i only use my MB for basic Office work, i dont need all the extra power the MBP has. I still have some doubt though and that is mainly about the screen size. Isnt a 13 inch screen too small for long hours of work? Can anyone share some experiences on that? Thanks.

JayDub

I can exchange my MBP 15" late 2011 for a big discount on a macbook air 13" 256 GB at an Apple Reseller Store. The MBP i have now is not very portable (i travel alot) and since i only use my MB for basic Office work, i dont need all the extra power the MBP has. I still have some doubt though and that is mainly about the screen size. Isnt a 13 inch screen too small for long hours of work? Can anyone share some experiences on that? Thanks.

Not at all. I went from a 15" to a 13", and the size difference isn't huge. Just wish my 2009 13" came with a higher resolution for more content. Otherwise, not a big deal. Dont miss the 15" size, but will be getting the 15 MBPr for the power and speakers.

I went from an old 21" 4:3 monitor to the 13" MBA. I do miss the higher resolution sometimes, but it's a compromise i was willing to make. The resolution on the 13" is pretty good, anyways. In terms of screen size, it's totally not an issue. I just moved closer to the screen.

I'll back up the MBA 13" comments, but the one thing not said here is how your usage pattern changes on a OSX laptop. I had the same screen real-estate concerns when I bought mine, to the point that I bought a DVI adapter. I've never used it, because I rarely need to do any sort of window adjustment/management. Instead, I use touch swipes to flip between desktops. (It's way easier to just have four apps on four desktops than to squish multiple windows on one screen.)

A year ago you could have counted me as someone who was extremely skeptical of touch gestures or even just common use of a trackpad, but here it's really simple and it works *really* well. I can post here with a great fullscreen 1400x900 view, and then just swipe left to go back to my coding window or swipe right to go to Photoshop.And if I ever get lost or need to sort things out, F3 and F4 are right there to offer "what apps are on this screen?" and "what do each of my desktops look like?" at a glance.

Crazymoogle is right. My window management habits changed in the same way when I switched to Mac recently.

When it does make more sense to not use multiple desktops, you can quickly swipe downwards with four fingers (maybe it is three out of the box?) to trigger application-level Exposé, and four-fingers up to trigger Mission Control/everything Exposé.

Valravn

Went to the Apple store with the goal of getting a Macbook Air but i returned home with a MBP 15 inch Retina. :p Got a big discount because i exchanged my older MBP, but still a lot of money. But this thing is amazing, im very impressed.

Pachimari

Hmm, I got a question. Why is it, that suddenly, my charger stops lighting any color (orange/green) when my MacBook Air is only charged to 97%?

Hmm, I got a question. Why is it, that suddenly, my charger stops lighting any color (orange/green) when my MacBook Air is only charged to 97%?

Mine does that too. I find push it around gets the LED working again. Seems independent of what's going on with the charging though (or at least, I haven't noticed a pattern).

TUSR

Banned
Mine does that too. I find push it around gets the LED working again. Seems independent of what's going on with the charging though (or at least, I haven't noticed a pattern).

usually batteries dont charge right to 100% to prevent discharging and other issues

The_Joker

Weee... ordered the 8GB i7 Air. My first Mac. ^_^

you'll love it... i have an 8gb i5 air and it's such a fast, beautiful and incredibly perfect machine... the wow-effect is much bigger than with my ipad or old macbook

had this for a week after i got my air (also posted it here but got no answer)...does the light slowly fade out?

for me, it's gone now and i still don't know why i had this problem

Thanks for the reply (and everyone else who answered). I don't mind running at non-native, as long as games are playable and still look decent I'm cool with that. What do you mean by 680m though? Typo? None of the new iMacs have a 680m.

yes they do. 680MX!

check notebookcheck for more info!

Majine

Banned
Blizzard lists ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M (or better) as recommended videocards, but my 2012 MBA has Intel HD Graphics 4000. Don't know how that compares. Everything else in the specc seems good to go tho!

Number45

Blizzard lists ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M (or better) as recommended videocards, but my 2012 MBA has Intel HD Graphics 4000. Don't know how that compares. Everything else in the specc seems good to go tho!
Posted this earlier in the thread. Looks OK. :)

Davidion

Agonizing over picking up a 13inch macbook pro vs. air. GOing to be using mostly for user experience design work and some light computing. hnnnnnggggggggghhhh

Think the SSD basically sold me on the air.

I wish Amazon sold Macbook airs with 8GB of ram. The 13 inch retina Macbook Pro is actually cheaper than getting an air with 8GB of ram. (The MBP is $1,593.99 on Amazon and the MBA "13 with 8GB of ram after tax is $1,636.57) The negative reviews for the retina MBP are kind of putting me off though. The stock MBP on Amazon also only has a 128GB SSD but that doesn't bother me as much as not having 8GB of ram.

So...I guess I'm wondering at this point if I should just get the MBA that's on Amazon. It'll have 4GB of ram, but it'll be a good bit cheaper.

I wish Amazon sold Macbook airs with 8GB of ram. The 13 inch retina Macbook Pro is actually cheaper than getting an air with 8GB of ram. (The MBP is $1,593.99 on Amazon and the MBA "13 with 8GB of ram after tax is $1,636.57) The negative reviews for the retina MBP are kind of putting me off though. The stock MBP on Amazon also only has a 128GB SSD but that doesn't bother me as much as not having 8GB of ram.

So...I guess I'm wondering at this point if I should just get the MBA that's on Amazon. It'll have 4GB of ram, but it'll be a good bit cheaper.

Why not order a MBA from the Apple store online? It's only $90 to add the extra 4 gigs of RAM + the education pricing discount. I paid a little over 1200 for my Air with 8 gigs.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NHAFEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's the difference between the Samsung 840 and 830 SSD? I have a late 2010 base model 13" pro
840 is the new generation, has new "MultiCore" controller they have also broken into 840 and 840 Pro, the non pro has lower life expectancy and different IOPs
Check Abandtechs reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

novagamer

Went to the Apple store with the goal of getting a Macbook Air but i returned home with a MBP 15 inch Retina. :p Got a big discount because i exchanged my older MBP, but still a lot of money. But this thing is amazing, im very impressed.

You can trade in your older Macs to Apple now?

edit: saw it was a reseller above. nevermind!

Top Bottom