• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TUSR

Banned
Thanks for the reply (and everyone else who answered). I don't mind running at non-native, as long as games are playable and still look decent I'm cool with that. What do you mean by 680m though? Typo? None of the new iMacs have a 680m.

Yeah not sure, highest model uses a 675 MX does it not?

Also, there isn't Skyrim for OSX.

Also also, 3 years down the road on a 650m is going to be alright. Id just go for the 27" if you were serious about getting an iMac for sure.

tirant

After almost 6 years with my old laptop is time to get a new one :)

I'm doubting between MBA 13 and retina MBP 13.

I come from a Unix/Linux background, so I like to have a lot of terminal windows open at the same time. That's why I like high resolution screen on my laptops.

But I'm reading that the retina MBP 13 is actually running everything with the same size as the regular MBP, 1280x800, which I find quite big for my needs. I've read there's an option to use a kind of scaled 1440x900 , but I've read it's slow :(

On the other hand, MBA 13 runs at 1440x900 which is very nice, and I suppose it will allow me to have some windows open at the same time without no problem.

The problem I have with the MBA 13 is that it only has one Thunderbolt port. And I would like my laptop to drive my 2 monitors (1 1080p HDMI + 1 1680x1050 VGA). And that looks impossible with the MBA :(

I come from a Unix/Linux background, so I like to have a lot of terminal windows open at the same time. That's why I like high resolution screen on my laptops.

But I'm reading that the retina MBP 13 is actually running everything with the same size as the regular MBP, 1280x800, which I find quite big for my needs. I've read there's an option to use a kind of scaled 1440x900 , but I've read it's slow :(

On the other hand, MBA 13 runs at 1440x900 which is very nice, and I suppose it will allow me to have some windows open at the same time without no problem.

The problem I have with the MBA 13 is that it only has one Thunderbolt port. And I would like my laptop to drive my 2 monitors (1 1080p HDMI + 1 1680x1050 VGA). And that looks impossible with the MBA :(

there are workarounds to get the full resolution on the retina.
but for me the scaling on my 15" mbpr works fine.

TUSR

Banned

Yeah you have two different outputs, thats a stretch.

You should probably read into how the Retina scales images and such. You can do this:

The problem you will run into with the 13" Retina is that the HD4000 is going to struggle to drive the display.

If you look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oRfu3ihEXMI

You can see that the 15" stuggles at points to drive the display. Imagine that with a less powerful processor. (since the graphics are processor oriented)

I see that GTA San Andreas is on the Mac App store for $15. How would it theoretically run on the 2012 13" MBA, and would I possibly be able to use a 360 controller for it instead of the keyboard?
Get GTA: SA on Steam because it allows you to download both PC and Mac versions. The App Store will only let you download the Mac version.

tirant

Thanks for your comments, they were very helpful.

I also read this review:

http://patrickbgibson.tumblr.com/post/35140489041/the-retina-macbook-pro-13

I use my Mac for mostly web browsing, email, Xcode, Aperture, various music apps, and occasionally some light Photoshop work. The Retina MacBook Pro 13” has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset, which is rather underpowered. Given my workload, I didn’t think this would matter for me, but I was wrong: It turns out this machine can’t smoothly scroll media-rich websites like The Verge without noticeable choppiness.

It’s possible to run the display in different scaled modes for “more space”, and this is actually a good solutions for apps that are not yet Retina-ready. The small size of the UI elements hides their blockiness, and it’s wonderful to have a 1680x1050 sized screen crammed into a 13” screen. Unfortunately, running in any scaled mode has the hallmark fuzziness you’d expect from using a display at it’s non-native resolution. The tininess of the of the pixels helps hide this at the maximum scaled resolution, but it still feels wrong to me.

In my daily usage, the battery life falls short of the MacBook Air by roughly 2 hours. It’s hugely noticeable, and made worse by running the display in any of the “scaled” options. Again, this feels like a downgrade.

I was planning to spend up to $2200... but after reading that, I think the rMBP is not for me.

Besides the MBA 13, I'm also considering a Thinkpad X1 Carbon. They are very similar in size, weight and power, while the X1 manages to fit a 14'' screen.

I think I will try to visit an Apple Store and check everything myself.

TUSR

Banned
Scrolling lag is easily fixed by this: GPU Acceleration

HpRot.jpg

"Hallmark fuzziness" is an over exaggeration.

Save you money for HD5000 graphics with Haswell if you want a Retina.

Sullichin

Thanks, i'll give it a shot.

edit: The chrome GPU acceleration doesn't make scrolling any smoother on my 13" MBA. I get like 40 fps, which is noticeably more stuttery than 60. Sometimes it's real buttery for a while though, maybe after i restart the machine? Weird.
That's also the 360 controller driver I use too, works fine, although I've only used it for a SNES emulator.

I found that on pages that use fixed headers with scrollable bodies, or fixed background images with scrollable bodies (twitter, facebook) scroll at a much worse framerate than a site like GAF. Is this your experience as well?

The 13" RMBP does seem underpowered. My 15" one has these aforementioned scroll issues to some extent (complained about them earlier in this thread), I would imagine it would be worse without a dedicated graphics chip.

Also, I'm using the windows 7 style "snap to resize" courtesy of Better Touch Tool. Can't live without it after getting used to it, but the animation for it was actually smoother on my 2009 MBP than my Retina. I fixed this problem by disabling the animation in BTT, but yeah, I guess it's taxing to push that many pixels.

I really love the 15" RMBP but let me complain again about the screen brightness. It's "bright enough" but I am constantly trying to increase the brightness because it doesn't seem maxed out. My iPhone is blindingly bright in comparison, and my old MBP was a bit brighter as well. I keep hoping to find a hack or something that magically boosts the brightness by 20% :p

Also, "hallmark fuzziness" isn't really an exaggeration. It is very noticeable when you have a Retina-enabled program next to one that isn't. Non retina programs look pretty awful, and while they might not really much worse than they would on a 1440x900 MacBook Pro, it's perceived as much worse because the retina apps look so much cleaner. No shit, When I switch from looking at my RMBP screen to my windows desktop on a 1080p monitor, there's a period of about a minute where the text looks so blurry I can barely read it! I'm probably just going blind though

Actually, nevermind; that article seems to be saying that you get fuzziness when running a scaled resolution; the scaled resolutions look fine to me. The only 'bothersome' fuzziness is from non retina apps, but if you're buying a RMBP you should know to expect that. Anyone who's used a non-retina app on an iPhone 4 and above knows what this would be like.

One more thing.. I brought my RMBP to the apple store because my iSight camera wasn't working. I walked out with a brand new computer. What do they do with the returned ones! It's crazy that they just give you a brand new computer if anything is wrong, not that I'm complaining.

Pachimari

I don't know where to ask this but why have my Apple TV started saying "an error occurred loading this content" when I try to AirPlay through my iPad?

TUSR

Banned
Actually, nevermind; that article seems to be saying that you get fuzziness when running a scaled resolution; the scaled resolutions look fine to me. The only 'bothersome' fuzziness is from non retina apps, but if you're buying a RMBP you should know to expect that. Anyone who's used a non-retina app on an iPhone 4 and above knows what this would be like.

One more thing.. I brought my RMBP to the apple store because my iSight camera wasn't working. I walked out with a brand new computer. What do they do with the returned ones! It's crazy that they just give you a brand new computer if anything is wrong, not that I'm complaining.
Agreed 100%. Using Microsoft word/excel is pretty terrible. Slight scaling of retina apps isn't fuzzy.

I hope I get a new one. I'm having weird interface glitching.

Caoz

What's a reasonable price for this MBP (and is anyone on here interested? I've been using it as a media box, but this is mostly out of laziness--I have a late-2011 MBA that I could just as easily plug into my monitor. I mostly just want some cash to get a Nexus 7 or something.

Also, I have all of the original packaging and the included remote. The laptop itself is in mostly great condition.

ScreenShot2012-11-13at34835PM.png

edit: Gazelle says they'd give me 265, which I think might be worth it.

I agree that it is worth at least $400, that is what I paid for mine on cowboom and it is exactly the same model and I though it was a good deal.
The cowboom one arrived dead though, the replacement they sent also died a couple days after receiving it so I gave up on buying a used macbook pro and bought a HP Probook 4530s to hackingtosh it...

My friend recently got a 15' retina pro, beautiful device with amazing screen but I was shocked to notice a little lag and stuttering when jumping between menus using the trackpad, this normal?

Ellasman

Thea speaker on my iPhone 4 was making a muffled sound. I took it in and they gave me a 4S absolutely free.

When was this? I have an old 4 where the menu button works half the time.

I swapped my iPhone 4 three times in August and never received an upgrade, so that's a huge YMMV. You're probably only guaranteed a 4S if you swap on a day where they don't have replacement 4 stock.

And to answer the other question, Apple has a whole refurb process, so your defective goods go through that, either getting fixed and sold as refurb, analyzed and discarded for error trends, etc. They don't waste store manpower trying to fix problems unless it is easily done so. (Defective iPhones literally get sealed into black coffin boxes for shipment to refurb/repair)

Gowans

I've been having some weird stuff happen on my 15" MBPr.

YouTube starts to stutter in full screen mode only.

In bootcamp games performance has dropped.

Ideas?

LCfiner

the only iMacs you can buy now are refurbs. It's kinda nuts they're not selling the last ones for such a prolonged period of time.

Zilch

Banned
Damn, I JUST got my 15" rMBP yesterday and updated OSX with everything that was suggested... maybe I shouldn't have? I haven't done enough computing to really feel out any performance hiccups or bugs but I'll soon be using Adobe Creative Suite and I really hope I don't run into any issues...

Gowans

Damn, I JUST got my 15" rMBP yesterday and updated OSX with everything that was suggested... maybe I shouldn't have? I haven't done enough computing to really feel out any performance hiccups or bugs but I'll soon be using Adobe Creative Suite and I really hope I don't run into any issues...

Yeah it's almost like half speed, reset the SMC for a temp fix but desperately need to fix it.

I've had my MBPr from launch and it was really apparent from the update.

Bernbaum

I'm after some advice on deleting apps on iTunes on my MacBook, but retaining them on my iPad and iPhone.

The library of apps I have on my iTunes is now several GB, and I'd like to free up some space. I download almost all apps directly to my iPad/iPhone and don't really need backups sitting on my Macbook.

My question: If I delete apps off my MacBook, will it, for whatever reason, wipe those apps off my iDevices next time I connect them for a sync? Is it worth keeping the apps on my Macbook? I don't wanna lose game save files and app-specific content like in-app purchased magazines and comics.

LCfiner

^ first, hook up the iPhone/ipad to itunes and make sure that in the "apps" tab under the iphone page, that the "sync apps" option is unchecked.

you will not lose apps if they are not present on the Mac but they are on the iphone. But if you don't uncheck this option then itunes will always prompt you to transfer the apps from the phone/pad to the itunes library, which can be a hassle to always have to dismiss

Bernbaum

^ first, hook up the iPhone/ipad to itunes and make sure that in the "apps" tab under the iphone page, that the "sync apps" option is unchecked.

you will not lose apps if they are not present on the Mac but they are on the iphone. But if you don't uncheck this option then itunes will always prompt you to transfer the apps from the phone/pad to the itunes library, which can be a hassle to always have to dismiss

When I do that, I get this message:

Are you sure you do not want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPhone “Bernbaum’s iPhone” will be removed.

LCfiner

that's weird. you should get a message asking you to confirm that you want to KEEP all the apps on the iphone after stopping the sync.

older iTunes/ iOS versions would delete apps but they fixed that to make it easier to cut the cord from itunes. i think in ios5, itunes 10.5

LCfiner

OK, that would explain it. yeah, I'm not sure of a way to do it without getting that nag message about transferring purchases from the iPhone/ipad. not the end of the world but a bit annoying.

You can test it out by just deleting one app from the Mac first.

Timan

Developer
Anyone know an app that monitors bandwidth? Have a crappy Apple Airport so can't use one of those fancyrouters that do it there. But need to track how much usage each comp is using since my isp put a lovely limit on my account.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Thanks for the reply (and everyone else who answered). I don't mind running at non-native, as long as games are playable and still look decent I'm cool with that. What do you mean by 680m though? Typo? None of the new iMacs have a 680m.

The top 27 has a build to order option of a 680MX which should be 10% faster than a stock 680M.

My wife just ordered AppleCare for her Macbook online so she could get her student discount. I thought it would give you the AppleCare code immediately after processing that way, but it appears they are mailing the box to us. Unfortunately, it may not arrive before the 1 year cut off date to register it.

If we call Apple with the order number, can we get the code?

TUSR

Banned
My wife just ordered AppleCare for her Macbook online so she could get her student discount. I thought it would give you the AppleCare code immediately after processing that way, but it appears they are mailing the box to us. Unfortunately, it may not arrive before the 1 year cut off date to register it.

If we call Apple with the order number, can we get the code?
Call apple and find out

milkham

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up an older macbook pro from a friend and was thinking about doing the whole replace optical drive with ssd thing. I'm trying to figure out whether the ssd should go in where the optical drive used to be or where the hard drive currently is. I've read that having the ssd (the boot drive) in the slot where the optical drive used to be can cause issues with sleep/wake, or the sata interface is slower so I should swap the position with the original hard drive. but i've also read that the ssd should go in the optical drive slot for mechanical reasons because the hard drive is more delicate and should stay in its original location i guess because it's better designed for that? Not sure what to think have you guys done this before? The macbook pro in question is a mid 2009 15".

I'm trying to figure out whether the ssd should go in where the optical drive used to be or where the hard drive currently is.

Worked fine in the optical bay of a 2010 13" for me in 10.8.2; I did make a Fusion drive though.

I believe the SATA ports are the same speed, but if you get a SATA 3 SSD, the controller on the logic board may not negotiate the SATA 2 speeds that it's capable of and you're stuck with SATA 1 speed.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Worked fine in the optical bay of a 2010 13" for me in 10.8.2; I did make a Fusion drive though.
How is that working for you? I have a dual drive 15" MBP 2011 and I was thinking about trying to make it a fusion drive. Do you have bootcamp installed as well? I wasn't sure how it would handle that. My boot camp now is all on the HDD so if it stayed like that it would be fine.

Working well, I think. It's my partner's, not mine, so my first hand experience was just setting it up and verifying it works. No Bootcamp; XP is installed with Parallels or VMWare. She has a Lenovo with Windows 7 from her office that she uses for Windows.

milkham

I believe the SATA ports are the same speed, but if you get a SATA 3 SSD, the controller on the logic board may not negotiate the SATA 2 speeds that it's capable of and you're stuck with SATA 1 speed.

thanks for responding Crude. I was going to just pickup a kit with the adapter and ssd from other world computing based on the macbook's model id, i figured they have the configuration scoped and prepared accordingly as far as sata speeds. what drive did you go with? would I still have to go with TRIM enabler on mountain lion or is it built in?

I got a trio of 120GB Intel 330s, two for my old Mac Pro and one for the MacBook Pro on a lark. I wouldn't get them if you haven't confirmed that you can run them at full speed on your Mac. "Negotiated link speed" is a phrase I wish I knew to search for before buying and installing them in my Mac Pro. Some vendors have a firmware tool to adjust the link speed of the drive; Intel doesn't.

If you get a SandForce drive (like many sold these days), you don't need TRIM, which is still only turned on for Apple OEM SSDs.

Ravidrath

In a bit of a pickle...

I was using my MacBook Pro tonight, and out of nowhere it rebooted itself. After the reboot, it proceeded to the usual grey screen, Apple logo pops up, and... reboot again. And again. It was stuck in a reboot loop.

I went to use the Recovery drive, and it went into a reboot loop, too. USB and Internet Recovery also cause reboot loops somehow.

Safe Mode, thankfully, worked. But when I clicked the Launcher icon to get to Utilities... it causes the machine to hang. But I can access and run everything fine through the Finder.

I'm in the process of backing everything up and downloading Mountain Lion again to prep for a full reformat and reinstall, but if I could delay this a bit with a quicker fix, I'll gladly take it.

Any ideas?

RBH

I have a $100 gift card from when I bought my MBA this summer.

Any recommendations on what to use it on in the Mac App Store?

Ravidrath

If the recovery system did it too it sounds hardware or firmware related. If you can get it booted off an external disk, fire up Disk Utility and check on the health of the disk. You can try resetting the SMC and PRAM but those are just shots in the dark.

I did a disk check from Safe Mode and a Permissions Repair, and everything checked out.

I'll look into the PRAM and SMC, though.

Top Bottom