• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

coldfoot

Banned
I've had my MacBook Air for about two weeks now. It's my first ever Mac computer.

Over the years I have owned a number of $1500-$2000+ Windows laptops with specs that were considered crazy at the time. This MBA is hands-down, without question, the BEST laptop I have ever owned by miles. I've never been this happy with a computer purchase. I don't see myself going back to windows for a long, long time if ever.

Dat trackpad, right?
I am also enjoying my MBA a lot. If you need a carrying case for it, this is the one I got, and it's phenomenal. Small, light and still can carry all you need to carry with your laptop (power adapter, cables, external hard drives). It's also low cost but without feeling cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TFBPMM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dat trackpad, right?

YES!

Just tonight I figured out you can tap to click instead of actually clicking the button. So slick and silent. Just an amazingly well designed intuitive and well thought-out product and OS.

I had to use my Win 7 Asus to transfer some old documents and was like wtf, why can't I scroll with two fingers? why isn't my three finger swipe going to mission control? It felt like going back to the laptop Stone Age.

Laekon

I'm looking at buying either a 13" Air or 13" Series 9 as a work computer. I'm leaning towards the Air because it's cheaper if bought off the refurb site. One thing I can't find out though is who much room is left on the 128HD with all the Apple programs installed. I need room for Illustrator, Acrobat, and Word, Power Point, and Excel. I'm not to concerned about space as I keep my computers pretty clean of old files but I'm interested in the difference between the Mac and PC.

I can't find out though is who much room is left on the 128HD with all the Apple programs installed. I need room for Illustrator, Acrobat, and Word, Power Point, and Excel.

I have more than that on my 128GB Air. I don't remember the exact amount that comes pre-installed (MacRumors suggests it's ~107GB, though). The Adobe apps install ~4GB.

ckohler

How much of a difference does having an i7 make versus an i5? I do a lot of video editing and am looking at either a new iMac or possibly a Mac Mini.

(I currently have a 3Ghz Core2Duo iMac).

I'm reposting my question. Anyone care to answer this? Thanks.

gokieks

Just tonight I figured out you can tap to click instead of actually clicking the button. So slick and silent. Just an amazingly well designed intuitive and well thought-out product and OS.

I'm not going to argue that the MBA isn't a fantastic laptop (I have one myself), but you've been able to do this on both MacOS and Windows laptops for ages now.

I'm reposting my question. Anyone care to answer this? Thanks.

In the iMac, both the i5 and the i7 are quad core, but the i7 has hyperthreading; in the Mini, the CPUs are the mobile versions, so the i5 is dual core and the i7 quad core, but both have hyperthreading.

You'd probably want the i7 in either case.

coldfoot

Banned
In the iMac, both the i5 and the i7 are quad core, but the i7 has hyperthreading; in the Mini, the CPUs are the mobile versions, so the i5 is dual core and the i7 quad core, but both have hyperthreading.

You'd probably want the i7 in either case.

i7 dual core has more L2 cache than i5 dual core (3MB vs 4MB). Which makes the i7 about 0-15% faster at the same clock speed depending on application. They are also clocked higher. In either case, a SSD will give much more benefit.

bionic77

I've had my MacBook Air for about two weeks now. It's my first ever Mac computer.

Over the years I have owned a number of $1500-$2000+ Windows laptops with specs that were considered crazy at the time. This MBA is hands-down, without question, the BEST laptop I have ever owned by miles. I've never been this happy with a computer purchase. I don't see myself going back to windows for a long, long time if ever.
Once you go Air it is really hard to use anything else.

I carry mine around with me everywhere. It weights next to nothing in my bag.

I went with the 13".

I guess the only thing they could improve is battery life (which is already pretty awesome) and a retina screen.

ckohler

Yeah, I'm definitely getting a Fusion Drive. So that is a certainty.

It sounds like i7 is worth the extra boost however I didn't know the Mac Mini has a mobile version while the iMac doesn't. Is the mobile version i7 not as good as the desktop i7?

What's a reasonable price for this MBP (and is anyone on here interested? I've been using it as a media box, but this is mostly out of laziness--I have a late-2011 MBA that I could just as easily plug into my monitor. I mostly just want some cash to get a Nexus 7 or something.

Also, I have all of the original packaging and the included remote. The laptop itself is in mostly great condition.

ScreenShot2012-11-13at34835PM.png

edit: Gazelle says they'd give me 265, which I think might be worth it.

tafer

Small question for the Mac expects. I want to upgrade the HDD of my current MBP (I think it is a late 2011 model), to a SSD.

I'm asking this because a quick google search told me that, in some cases, it isn't as easy as it should be. So to be sure I want to ask you any important considerations I should have about this upgrade and the recommended drives for this machine.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Small question for the Mac expects. I want to upgrade the HDD of my current MBP (I think it is a late 2011 model), to a SSD.

I'm asking this because a quick google search told me that, in some cases, it isn't as easy as it should be. So to be sure I want to ask you any important considerations I should have about this upgrade and the recommended drives for this machine.
Are you replacing the disc drive with a hard drive as well or just replacing the HDD with SSD? If the latter it is super easy IMO.

Check prices on the Samsung 830s or 840s
Edit: you will want a large external drive to clone your HDD to or buy the transfer kit for the SSD if you are going to clone it directly. You could also restore from a time machine backup if you already do that, just takes a little longer.

JayDub

What's a reasonable price for this MBP (and is anyone on here interested? I've been using it as a media box, but this is mostly out of laziness--I have a late-2011 MBA that I could just as easily plug into my monitor. I mostly just want some cash to get a Nexus 7 or something.

Also, I have all of the original packaging and the included remote. The laptop itself is in mostly great condition.

ScreenShot2012-11-13at34835PM.png

edit: Gazelle says they'd give me 265, which I think might be worth it.

No. Its worth at least 450. If its in great condition, with the box and everything, thats a reasonable price. If I was in the market, thats what I would pay.

tafer

Are you replacing the disc drive with a hard drive as well or just replacing the HDD with SSD? If the latter it is super easy IMO.

Check prices on the Samsung 830s or 840s
Edit: you will want a large external drive to clone your HDD to or buy the transfer kit for the SSD if you are going to clone it directly. You could also restore from a time machine backup if you already do that, just takes a little longer.

The later (Replace the HDD with a SSD). And thanks for the info, I was a little bit worried because I read something about nasty issues with some SSD/SATA3 drives and older MBP.

JayDub

In regards to the HDD caddy for the optical drive, is there a "cover" for the now useless slot? Something in line with the niftydrive cover, but for the slot loading drive.

coldfoot

Banned
In regards to the HDD caddy for the optical drive, is there a "cover" for the now useless slot? Something in line with the niftydrive cover, but for the slot loading drive.
Nope...I looked for that as well, but could not find anything, so I just went ahead and got an air. I'm anal like that and can't swallow unnecessary ports and slots being present in a laptop. When I had a PC, I was just able to stick the DVD drive cover on there while using a caddy.

JayDub

Nope...I looked for that as well, but could not find anything, so I just went ahead and got an air. I'm anal like that and can't swallow unnecessary ports and slots being present in a laptop. When I had a PC, I was just able to stick the DVD drive cover on there while using a caddy.

Im exactly the same way! Sounds like a nifty kickstarter idea.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The later (Replace the HDD with a SSD). And thanks for the info, I was a little bit worried because I read something about nasty issues with some SSD/SATA3 drives and older MBP.
There are those issues, but I believe they are not a problem on the late 2011 if that is what you have. Check your about this Mac to confirm, you should also be able to see the link speed vs negotiated speed of the SATA connections there.

If it says 6GB link speed you are fine

tafer

There are those issues, but I believe they are not a problem on the late 2011 if that is what you have. Check your about this Mac to confirm, you should also be able to see the actual speed vs negotiated speed of the SATA cable there

(Spanish MacOS ftw!)

wY9Gn.jpg

AY5vf.jpg

Welp, I think I can upgrade with no problem. (And now that I think about it, I may need some additional memory)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Jake.

i want to buy a macbook air in january (my first ever mac) - is that a good time, or will a new one be a few months away?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
(Spanish MacOS ftw!)

wY9Gn.jpg

AY5vf.jpg

Welp, I think I can upgrade with no problem. (And now that I think about it, I may need some additional memory)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Yep that is the model I have and the upgrade was painless. Just plan ahead for how you want to go about doing the transfer. Time machine, clone to external, buy a sata to USB dongle, put your HDD in an enclosure etc.

At the minimum you should upgrade your ram to 8GB for Mountain Lion, 16 will probably be overkill, but while you've got the thin opened up anyway... ;)

Check out iFixit's guides, they have model year specific walk throughs typically.
EDIT: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...ibody+Late+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/7513/1
EDIT 2: ALSO http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322 since trim is not enabled on non-apple installed SSDs by default

tafer

Yep that is the model I have and the upgrade was painless. Just plan ahead for how you want to go about doing the transfer. Time machine, clone to external, buy a sata to USB dongle, put your HDD in an enclosure etc.

At the minimum you should upgrade your ram to 8GB for Mountain Lion, 16 will probably be overkill, but while you've got the thin opened up anyway... ;)

Check out iFixit's guides, they have model year specific walk throughs typically.
EDIT: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...ibody+Late+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/7513/1
EDIT 2: ALSO http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322 since trim is not enabled on non-apple installed SSDs by default

Woah, thanks for the links, that's going to save a lot of time.

Majine

Banned
I say if you keep thinking in productcycles you're going to be miserable all the time. Think of what you're gonna use it for, if it's sufficient then decide.

Jake.

good points - i presume a new one is released yearly? i will just grab one in january when i have the cash, thanks.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I forgot about some gestures. When I wanted to peek at the desktop I instinctively pinched outwards on the trackpad and it read my mind.

Anyone here with an iMac that boots itself up sometimes? I just woke up with a powered on Mac greeting me... This has happened several times now in the last few months.
Even when I had Windows as my primary partition for a few days a while back, the thing booted at 5 in the morning without anyone touching the damn thing.

Anyone know what I can do? Tried to google it, but I only come across people that have the problem while their iMac is in standby mode. To be clear, I always turn it off, rarely use standby.

edgefusion

I'm looking at getting the high-end 21.5inch iMac when they're made available but can anyone tell me anything about the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB)? The majority of my gaming will remain on consoles but I wouldn't mind playing the odd thing here and there under Boot Camp. What are it's prospects for running new games in 3 years time? How well could it run Skyrim? How is it compared to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB in the low-end 27inch model? Realistically I don't need such a large display but I'd be willing to stretch to it if the card offers a substantial increase in performance. Thanks!

My 2011 iMac can run Skyrim in Boot Camp fine (not max settings or anything, but I haven't been disappointed with it; the main problem is occasional framerate drop), so a new one probably wouldn't have any trouble.

LCfiner

It'll be the same GPU as in the current 15" macbook pro. So check some game benchmarks on that machine (running 1080p) for a general idea.

It should be fine for Skyrim, honestly. Heck, I ran Skyrim on the 2009 iMac with the 4850M and I was able to run it decently at 1080p and some med/ high mix of settings.

Nope, though you can't stick anything into the slot. I don't mind that, but it'd be nice if it hadn't made the bottom-case protrude in one corner and not be flush like it was before I swapped it. If there was a screw in this area, I think it'd be fine.

No problem with negotiated link speeds on the 2010 MacBook Pro, unlike the 2006 Mac Pro (booooo).

Anyone here with an iMac that boots itself up sometimes? I just woke up with a powered on Mac greeting me... This has happened several times now in the last few months.

You can set auto-boot times in the Energy preference pane.

RBH

I see that GTA San Andreas is on the Mac App store for $15. How would it theoretically run on the 2012 13" MBA, and would I possibly be able to use a 360 controller for it instead of the keyboard?

njean777

I'm looking at getting the high-end 21.5inch iMac when they're made available but can anyone tell me anything about the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB)? The majority of my gaming will remain on consoles but I wouldn't mind playing the odd thing here and there under Boot Camp. What are it's prospects for running new games in 3 years time? How well could it run Skyrim? How is it compared to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB in the low-end 27inch model? Realistically I don't need such a large display but I'd be willing to stretch to it if the card offers a substantial increase in performance. Thanks!

If you really want games to run great I would only go with the highest end 21 or 27in tbh. Especially if you want games to run 3 years from now. The 680m is an alright card and will last you awhile as long as you are ok with running games at non-native resolution down the road. If not then I would just build your own desktop. TBH you could probably do that and buy a macbook air/pro and just use the gaming pc as a oversized console (that is what I do) for the same price as a higher end iMac.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm curious, is it worth getting a battery for my MBP from eBay? It'll cost 200 bucks to replace at an Apple Store but 50 bucks to buy the battery from a Chinese reseller...

And even though it's a "non replaceable" battery, it looks like it is easy to replace.

I see that GTA San Andreas is on the Mac App store for $15. How would it theoretically run on the 2012 13" MBA, and would I possibly be able to use a 360 controller for it instead of the keyboard?

I'm also interested in the second part of this question. There is no straightforward way to use the 360 wireless receiver on OSX and have the controller hook into all the games like it does on windows, right?

At least on Steam the controller support on mac for San Andreas is WHACK. Tired with 360, seriously didn't work right at all.

I'm also interested in the second part of this question. There is no straightforward way to use the 360 wireless receiver on OSX and have the controller hook into all the games like it does on windows, right?

What to use for 360 controller on mac:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Servbot24

Banned
I use a wired 360 controller now but in the past I've used a PS3 controller. Fairly easy to set up the first time, but a bother if you plan to switch between mac and console very often. Better to go with dedicated wired 360 controller.

Neptune

I have a question about AirPlay mirroring from my retina Macbook Pro to an Apple TV - when I play a video file on the computer and want to mirror it on my TV, the playback on the TV gets that weird and terrible "motion flow" / "soap opera effect" that I always have to disable on any new TV, but playing the file on the computer alone is fine. It doesn't seem to be a network issue, so I'm assuming it has something to do with different refresh rates of the two screens, but is there any way to try to correct this either on the Apple TV or the MBP?

Majine

Banned

I have it on just that computer, and without Anti-Aliasing it runs smooth as butter. Turn AA on and the framerate goes down. Still playable, but I prefer without.

edgefusion

If you really want games to run great I would only go with the highest end 21 or 27in tbh. Especially if you want games to run 3 years from now. The 680m is an alright card and will last you awhile as long as you are ok with running games at non-native resolution down the road. If not then I would just build your own desktop. TBH you could probably do that and buy a macbook air/pro and just use the gaming pc as a oversized console (that is what I do) for the same price as a higher end iMac.

Thanks for the reply (and everyone else who answered). I don't mind running at non-native, as long as games are playable and still look decent I'm cool with that. What do you mean by 680m though? Typo? None of the new iMacs have a 680m.

Top Bottom