• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Mobius 1

2009 2.8ghz i7. This should be a nice upgrade! Particularly excited about the fusion drive.

I have used Corsair and Crucial memory on my computers for 5 years now, zero issues.

I too ordered it today, with upgraded processor the the lovely 680MX. Can't come soon enough.

bananas

Banned
I was going to get an iMac, but now I think I'm gonna build a $1000 gaming pc and hackintosh Mountain Lion on it. Anyone else with any experience with this?

I was going to get an iMac, but now I think I'm gonna build a $1000 gaming pc and hackintosh Mountain Lion on it. Anyone else with any experience with this?

No but I just want to chime in and say this sounds like a really good idea and I'll probably be doing the same thing when I graduate.

Chris R

So glad the iMac doesn't have any video in, because if it did I'd probably end up buying one instead of just getting a 27" 1440p monitor :p

Wow I had no idea, but it sounds like the GTX 680MX is actually a really capable GPU! Maybe I can actually do some real gaming on this thing!

Mobius 1

So glad the iMac doesn't have any video in, because if it did I'd probably end up buying one instead of just getting a 27" 1440p monitor :p

It most likely can take video in from a Thunderbolt source, like some MSI motherboards.

Just pointing it out, is all.

LCfiner

Here's some real-world benchmarks

http://www.macworld.com/article/201...equipped-with-fusion-drives-cpu-upgrades.html

Speedmark 8 scores
Code:
21.5-inch iMac/3.1GHz Core i7, 1TB Fusion Drive, 16GB RAM BTO (Late 2012) [B]298[/B]
27-inch iMac/3.3GHz Core i7, 1TB Fusion Drive, 8GB RAM BTO (Late 2012)	  [B]312[/B]
21.5-inch iMac/2.7GHz Core i5, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM BTO (Mid 2011)	  232
21.5-inch iMac/2.8GHz Core i7, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM BTO (Mid 2011)	          195
27-inch iMac/3.4GHz Core i7, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM BTO (Mid 2011)	          256
Mac mini/2.6GHz Core i7, 1TB Fusion Drive, 8GB RAM BTO (Late 2012)   	  249
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro/2.6GHz Core i7 (Mid 2012)	                  [B]275[/B]

lots more at the link. the 15" Retina MBP keeps pace with everything except Handbrake encoding

You're exactly right. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, you're always a better judge of what your machine should be running than the OS is.

I get what he's saying in terms of performance: I can have tons of stuff running in the background on my macbook air without noticing significant slowdowns. If the fan wouldn't kick in sometimes, i wouldn't even know most of the time.

When i'm not plugged into the wall, though, that's when it seems wise to keep an eye on the background apps.

Wow I had no idea, but it sounds like the GTX 680MX is actually a really capable GPU! Maybe I can actually do some real gaming on this thing!

Yeah, the GPUs they have been using in top end iMacs lately have been great for gaming. The 2011 27in topped out at a 6970m which has been absolutely great for me (though I wish I could have gone for the 2gb vram option, oh well)

B33

Banned
iFixit's iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2544 Teardown

Good news: The iMac's RAM is "user-replaceable."

Bad news: You have to unglue your screen and remove the logic board in order to do so.

It's indeed possible to replace the RAM, hard drive, and CPU inside the 21.5" iMac model. The caveat being a majority of the innards need to be removed in addition to prying the screen off.

Also, the dual drive solution offered by iFixit is no longer feasible due to an alteration made to the logic board for Apple's Fusion Drive offering.

Looking at the new iMac now in the Apple Store. Damn it looks good but with the new form factor the RAM slots at the bottom that made upgrading easy are gone. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with more than 8gb - I had assumed it would be easy to upgrade myself. Anyone know what the deal is?

EDIT: okay you can add RAM on the 27" but not the 21.5".

LCfiner

Looking at the new iMac now in the Apple Store. Damn it looks good but with the new form factor the RAM slots at the bottom that made upgrading easy are gone. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with more than 8gb - I had assumed it would be easy to upgrade myself. Anyone know what the deal is?

the ram slots on the 27" are at the back of the display, above the power connector. there's videos online. looks to be perfectly doable to access for the RAM upgrade.

So, does anyone use screen protectors on their Macbook Air? I don't really see the need in it as long as I clean it every now and then, but I'm still paranoid.

RangersFan

could someone take a picture or link a picture to the original charger that came with an ipad 1? looking to trade in my original ipad 1 64gb to amazon and they give you substantially more if you include all original accessories.

my brother has a drawer full of various type of apple cables and chargers and I want to make sure I choose the correct one.

TwIsTeD

Just bought the Quad i7 Mac Mini and its become my primary machine (Gaming-PC is now on the other side of my desk)

As someone that always used Macbooks its nice to finally have a Mac to use at home that holds more than 256gb... that being said I want everyone whos talking about building a Hackintosh to think twice.....I`ve had one for years and its a hobby....make it your main machine and you will regret it

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's good as long as you pay it all off within that year, and are not late one payment. Its like any other financing, just don't fuck it up.
Sounds good then. I was just worried that they might try to screw me over even if I pay it off within the year somehow. I have zero experience with financing things so I'm approaching everything with caution.

Just curious, is anyone getting the new 21.5" iMac and paying the crazy Apple tax for extra RAM since it's not user-upgradable? GF ordered the base 8gb model and is hoping that's enough for stuff like photo editing and some basic gaming(WoW etc). $250 for the RAM upgrade is insane!

VPhys

I believe in always going for the base model. For what they want for extra ram, by the time you need the extra RAM in a year or 2, sell your old model and buy the new one and not only will you have more RAM but a faster CPU, GPU et cetera. And you probably won't lose more than the 250 you were going originally spin upgrading in the beginning.

Sapiens

I believe in always going for the base model. For what they want for extra ram, by the time you need the extra RAM in a year or 2, sell your old model and buy the new one and not only will you have more RAM but a faster CPU, GPU et cetera. And you probably won't lose more than the 250 you were going originally spin upgrading in the beginning.

I bought the mid range 2012 Mini and with 4GB of RAM it wasn't even a real computer. Ran like shit always paging out. 80 dollars and 16 GB later, it's finally running as it should.

That being said, I can only imagine leaving base Mini with the stock 4GB - it must be a nightmare.

I would have got the 21 iMac over the Mini, but the RAM not being user upgradebale is a dealbreaker.

I don't game on PC, so the Mini is fine.

LCfiner

This RAM talk is funny to me because our work computers run 64 bit Windows with a 6 year old Xeon and - wait for it - 4 GB of RAM. Typically, if we're loading up the full 3D CAD model of the entire product we're working on using pro engineer, we'll use up 3 GB right there. Day to day work typically has 1.5 GB in CAD and the rest for Windows, email, excel, word, pdfs, etc, etc, etc.

It's obviously not the best situation, but we are able to work and it's really not that slow in day to day usage. If anything a better GPU would help more than anything.

photo editing and web browsing on 8GB will be fine.

Dany

Banned
Besides RAM which is it worth configuring anything for the 27 inch imac like processor, hard drive or graphics?

Just curious, is anyone getting the new 21.5" iMac and paying the crazy Apple tax for extra RAM since it's not user-upgradable? GF ordered the base 8gb model and is hoping that's enough for stuff like photo editing and some basic gaming(WoW etc). $250 for the RAM upgrade is insane!

8gb should be absolutely fine for that.

Besides RAM which is it worth configuring anything for the 27 inch imac like processor, hard drive or graphics?

If you're going to want to game on it, the upgrade to the 2gb 680MX would be worthwhile, especially for the vram.

Krelian

I bought the mid range 2012 Mini and with 4GB of RAM it wasn't even a real computer. Ran like shit always paging out. 80 dollars and 16 GB later, it's finally running as it should.

That being said, I can only imagine leaving base Mini with the stock 4GB - it must be a nightmare.

I would have got the 21 iMac over the Mini, but the RAM not being user upgradebale is a dealbreaker.

I don't game on PC, so the Mini is fine.
I bought the base 2011 mini with a whopping 2 GB of RAM. It was basically unusable. Once I upgraded to 8 GB I was very happy though. My previous MacBook had 4 GB and honestly that is just not enough for OS X in my opinion. Way too much paging like you experienced. Though I do think that only started with Lion; everything before that was more usable with 4 GB.

Iacobellis

Are there any issues with the Speck SmartShell compared to the SeeThru? I hear the SmartShell is thinner, and at the same $50 price, it seems like a no brainer to go with that one.

VPhys

This RAM talk is funny to me because our work computers run 64 bit Windows with a 6 year old Xeon and - wait for it - 4 GB of RAM. Typically, if we're loading up the full 3D CAD model of the entire product we're working on using pro engineer, we'll use up 3 GB right there. Day to day work typically has 1.5 GB in CAD and the rest for Windows, email, excel, word, pdfs, etc, etc, etc.

It's obviously not the best situation, but we are able to work and it's really not that slow in day to day usage. If anything a better GPU would help more than anything.

photo editing and web browsing on 8GB will be fine.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading sapiens post, why is 4 GB crippling on a Mac?

Did you get fusion drives for you and Leah? I'd love to see you impressions once you get it.

8GB is plenty and if you got the fusion drive, that will make a huge difference in how responsive apps feel.

Mobius 1

Indeed. Even if the system needs to page to the hard drive due to low memory, it will be much faster (sometimes transparent) with a SSD then with a mech hard drive. It has happened to me in a few occasions on the rMBP, and it was never a bother. 8GB is fine.

Unless Photoshop decides to leak to the memory due to Adobe's excellent bugfixing, as I experimented just the other day. Single PS file open (166MB on disk), nothing else running on the system (this was on an iMac with 16GB of RAM):

ibv0yTRE78rS1K.jpg

So, I just got my new 13" Macbook pro last week and am considering an SSD. Any suggestions? I've never actually looked at them or done any research.

So, I just got my new 13" Macbook pro last week and am considering an SSD. Any suggestions? I've never actually looked at them or done any research.

Cruical M4. Now start your research.

I'm looking at making an After Effects / Premiere / Final Cut Pro machine, and i'm not sure if I should go with a new iMac, or just build a PC and dedicate it to the task? A PC means no Final Cut, but I can still run that on my 2011 Macbook if need be. How powerful are these new iMacs?

Iacobellis

What's the general consensus on ASUS monitors? I hope to get a retina MacBook Pro for Christmas, and do want a display to use when I'm away from home for under $200. I was thinking the VS229H-P would suit my needs, especially since it is an IPS panel.

I'm looking at making an After Effects / Premiere / Final Cut Pro machine, and i'm not sure if I should go with a new iMac, or just build a PC and dedicate it to the task? A PC means no Final Cut, but I can still run that on my 2011 Macbook if need be. How powerful are these new iMacs?

Thanks, just the direction I needed.

giga

Pretty powerful, but you're paying for the display and design. You could do this: http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh / http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com.au/search/label/CustoMac

I've deleted all the digital movies off iTunes and I can't find them anywhere though finder, but in "about his mac" storage it still says 24GBs in Movies

I was so content with my 2010 Macbook Pro yesterday. I thought to myself, "man I could go with this for a while...swap out the CD drive for a SSD...I could go on for years"

And then I tried to render something on After Effects that took way way too long compared to my gf's retina Macbook Pro.

:(

Iacobellis

honestly, i havent really noticed. i dont play many PC games either so i might not be really looking for them.

Okay, thanks for the help. I might get a second one eventually and hook up a console (or my eventual PC build) to it so I never have to leave my desk. ;)

DrEvil

not a medical professional

I run a hackintosh and it's generally fantastic. You'll lose a bit of gpu perf though due to hacked drivers etc.

I have a 670gtx that runs at about 2/3 the quality it does in windows. Otherwise it's great and makes your machine last much longer.

I dual boot mountain lion and windows 8 on separate SSDs using chameleon at boot. Love it.

jts

...hate me...
I can't believe in the irony of this shit. Probably a few hours from getting a brand new SSD (waiting for it to get in the mail) my MacBooks hdd seems to be crapping out on me.

First the system froze, few apps opened, now it took forever to boot and it eventually booted into disk utility. Checking disk now... 54 minutes to go (and going up).

I'm kinda panicking. Time machine isn't up to date.

What u think? :/ And how salvageable is an osx HDD mounted as external? Of course it depends, but I'm not expecting that all blocks are bad.
I have a partial time machine backup and a huge Dropbox but I'll still lose stuff probably :(
Of only I could salvage my desktop folder and the more recent photos (and I'm trusting iCloud for some of that, unfortunately I did a picture sync not too long ago).

Update before posting: it just informed me it needs to be repaired, repairing right now. 31 minutes to go. Well, 40 now and going up.

I can't believe in the irony of this shit. Probably a few hours from getting a brand new SSD (waiting for it to get in the mail) my MacBooks hdd seems to be crapping out on me.

First the system froze, few apps opened, now it took forever to boot and it eventually booted into disk utility. Checking disk now... 54 minutes to go (and going up).

I'm kinda panicking. Time machine isn't up to date.

What u think? :/ And how salvageable is an osx HDD mounted as external? Of course it depends, but I'm not expecting that all blocks are bad.
I have a partial time machine backup and a huge Dropbox but I'll still lose stuff probably :(

Update before posting: it just informed me it needs to be repaired, repairing right now. 31 minutes to go.

I'm going through hell right now trying to mount mine in an enclosure or even booting it from another macbook via firewire. Think I'm gonna have to pay to get the info off of it. I can see the files but the transfer rate is slower than shit so it's agonizing knowing it's so close.

gimz

is there a comparison of the new imac and the last imac model? i don't mind buying the older version if its cheaper now

jts

...hate me...
I'm going through hell right now trying to mount mine in an enclosure or even booting it from another macbook via firewire. Think I'm gonna have to pay to get the info off of it. I can see the files but the transfer rate is slower than shit so it's agonizing knowing it's so close.
Shit :/ well mine after a while of repairing said it was ok, so I closed diskutil and rebooted.

Taking forever to boot yet again. Shiiiiit.

Top Bottom