• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Shit :/ well mine after a while of repairing said it was ok, so I closed diskutil and rebooted.

Taking forever to boot yet again. Shiiiiit.

DiskWarrior, my man. Kinda pricey, but I swear by it if your data is lost and was important. Good luck!!

Iacobellis

From iTunes, I typed in a movie name I had deleted in the finder in the top right corner but nothing came up, and it still shows all the movies taking up space, just don't know where these digital copies are

Go into your Music folder on your hard drive, then the iTunes folder in there. Your iTunes videos should still be in there. I don't remember the exact folder names in there where they would be located.

So it looks like my new 27" iMac will have four RAM slots, two of which will be free. If I want to upgrade can I just add two more sticks to the empty slots, or do I have to swap them all out so they're the same kind of RAM? Is it okay to mix and match?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So it looks like my new 27" iMac will have four RAM slots, two of which will be free. If I want to upgrade can I just add two more sticks to the empty slots, or do I have to swap them all out so they're the same kind of RAM? Is it okay to mix and match?

Mac pros were generally very picky when it came to ram speeds, not so much actual dimm sizes

You can put 2x4gb and say 2x2gb, as long as they're the same speed (eg 1033, etc). The safest route is to match the speed that comes with your new machine.

Ps: awesome job on TWD ep 4. Mr. Whitta

jts

...hate me...
Irony complete, my SSD arrived. Samsung 840 250GB.

Anyway, I connected the HDD as an external on my Mac Mini and it doesn't show up in Finder. I thought that maybe it's dead.

However in diskutil it does show and it even says it's fine after verification:

ruvVi.jpg

I'm at loss. Where do I go from here?

edit:

Welp.

moniker

Anyway, I connected the HDD as an external on my Mac Mini and it doesn't show up in Finder. I thought that maybe it's dead.

edit:

Welp.

What happens if you select "disk1s2" and then press mount?

Edit: NM, I didn't see your second screenshot.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

edit:

Welp.

Go into disk util, select the root disk of your SSD (like you do in the screenshot above, not the disk1s2) Go to the "partition" tab, set as "1 partition", make sure you change the partition type to GUID instead of anything windows/dos related. Then format it and it should begin to work.

The other thing to note, is SSDs can have firmware updates. Be sure you have the latest, as OSX is picky when it comes to that kinda stuff (byte offsets and all that shit).

I'm about to purchase my very first apple computer.
Always been a Win user and worked as a digital artist with XP/VISTA/7/8 with Adobe&Corel tools with some issues
but I never complained much, but now I need to step up and join many of my friends/coworkers.

I'm actually looking at a:

MBPr 15" i7 2,6GHz RAM16gb SSD256GB = € 2.629

Portability seems slightly better than standard PRO, the RETINA feels futureproof but I'm not buying much into it unless they
optimize the system, I know about screen stuttering while scrolling, and that it seems that they already fixed some issues with
the browsers with some update. it sucks to have optical drive and ethernet removed but there are workarounds.

MBP 15" i7 2,6GHz 8gb ram SSD256GB antiglare = € 2.799 +6gb ram upgrade 139.90 €

Included optical drive, ethernet and it allows some upgradability/repairs. It's also widely known to be a perfect device for
the tools I'm using, but the cost is kinda high and the product value will definetely drop once the next MBPr is out.

The things I will use this for will be:
Digital painting with CINTIQ 22HD (1920 x 1080 px) that will be seen as an external monitor.

MBP res 1680 x 1050
MBPr res 2880 x 1600

By this it looks like the standard PRO will see less ratio difference with the tablet,
but the Retina is more likely to handle better the higher resolution.

The tools I'll be using will be Creative Suite, Manga studio, Corel Painter, Maya, and some Win7/8 virtualmachine if I feel the need.

Sorry for the long post but I'm very confused on this, most of the people I know suggest the standard PRO since everyone
owns one and are fine even on older revisions, but the Retina price and possibilities are damn tempting.

(I know about the Retina ghosting issue, and already cleared that I will not accept a LG monitor with Apple Genius about it)

Thanks in advance

RangersFan

could someone take a picture or link a picture to the original charger that came with an ipad 1? looking to trade in my original ipad 1 64gb to amazon and they give you substantially more if you include all original accessories.

my brother has a drawer full of various type of apple cables and chargers and I want to make sure I choose the correct one.

anyone? please?

RangersFan

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm about to purchase my very first apple computer.
Always been a Win user and worked as a digital artist with XP/VISTA/7/8 with Adobe&Corel tools with some issues
but I never complained much, but now I need to step up and join many of my friends/coworkers.

I'm actually looking at a:

MBPr 15" i7 2,6GHz RAM16gb SSD256GB = € 2.629

Portability seems slightly better than standard PRO, the RETINA feels futureproof but I'm not buying much into it unless they
optimize the system, I know about screen stuttering while scrolling, and that it seems that they already fixed some issues with
the browsers with some update. it sucks to have optical drive and ethernet removed but there are workarounds.

MBP 15" i7 2,6GHz 8gb ram SSD256GB antiglare = € 2.799 +6gb ram upgrade 139.90 €

Included optical drive, ethernet and it allows some upgradability/repairs. It's also widely known to be a perfect device for
the tools I'm using, but the cost is kinda high and the product value will definetely drop once the next MBPr is out.

The things I will use this for will be:
Digital painting with CINTIQ 22HD (1920 x 1080 px) that will be seen as an external monitor.

MBP res 1680 x 1050
MBPr res 2880 x 1600

By this it looks like the standard PRO will see less ratio difference with the tablet,
but the Retina is more likely to handle better the higher resolution.

The tools I'll be using will be Creative Suite, Manga studio, Corel Painter, Maya, and some Win7/8 virtualmachine if I feel the need.

Sorry for the long post but I'm very confused on this, most of the people I know suggest the standard PRO since everyone
owns one and are fine even on older revisions, but the Retina price and possibilities are damn tempting.

(I know about the Retina ghosting issue, and already cleared that I will not accept a LG monitor with Apple Genius about it)

Thanks in advance
The nice thing about the Retina is even though its res is not that much higher than the other Pro you list, you can set its "usable pixel" resolution to the equivalent of 1680x1050 and have a super high resolution display with pixels you can't even see unless you get right up to it.

But it will be a bit sluggish because the video card will then be processing a resolution of 3360x2100 and shrinking it down to 2880x1600. The next generation will surely be better at high resolution processing, but that won't be for months now. By then all the other problems will be sorted too.

A Retina will be my next machine, but not until the 13 and 15 get updated if not the one after.

123rl

I've just got a 2012 Mac Mini and used it to replace my old one. I've just bought a second monitor and I'm having some weird HDMI issues. The monitor is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005B614XK/ (£130 at John Lewis btw)

I'm using HDMI from my Mac to this one and DP>DVI to my other monitor. Anyway the HP has lost its signal a few times now, shown a static screen, and said the 1080p 60Hz signal is out of range. A simple restart fixes it but that's annoying. The monitor is only a week old. Should I return it?

Krelian

I've just got a 2012 Mac Mini and used it to replace my old one. I've just bought a second monitor and I'm having some weird HDMI issues. The monitor is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005B614XK/ (£130 at John Lewis btw)

I'm using HDMI from my Mac to this one and DP>DVI to my other monitor. Anyway the HP has lost its signal a few times now, shown a static screen, and said the 1080p 60Hz signal is out of range. A simple restart fixes it but that's annoying. The monitor is only a week old. Should I return it?
I heard that it's a known issue with the 2012 Mac mini model's HDMI port or something of the sort. If you look around the net you'll see other users with similar issues. So I don't think it's your monitor, though you should try another one to make sure.

ascii42

Generally they work in pairs. Just make sure the two you add are the same kind.

123rl

I heard that it's a known issue with the 2012 Mac mini model's HDMI port or something of the sort. If you look around the net you'll see other users with similar issues. So I don't think it's your monitor, though you should try another one to make sure.

Thanks. I did a bit of digging and apparently Intel have submitted a fix to Apple so it should be sorted soon. It hasn't happened again today so I wouldn't say it's an urgent problem. It's annoying though

TUSR

Banned
Eh. I would say try to upgrade to 8GB before installing the new OS. I assume you're on Lion now?

Base model iMacs from 2008 don't support (officially) over 4GB of ram. Though 6GB does work.

Do a complete clean install of ML if you even are considering it.

The nice thing about the Retina is even though its res is not that much higher than the other Pro you list, you can set its "usable pixel" resolution to the equivalent of 1680x1050 and have a super high resolution display with pixels you can't even see unless you get right up to it.

But it will be a bit sluggish because the video card will then be processing a resolution of 3360x2100 and shrinking it down to 2880x1600. The next generation will surely be better at high resolution processing, but that won't be for months now. By then all the other problems will be sorted too.

A Retina will be my next machine, but not until the 13 and 15 get updated if not the one after.

Yup I've played a bit with the scaling option at the Apple store, sadly it wasn't possible to use software that puts the machine on heavy tasks so I couldn't see if the hardware holds with different resolutions, but since I firstly heard there was some stuttering scrolling with the browsers at the launch, I can assure that this stuff has been fixed with some updates that allowed the Intel graphics chip to handle better the visuals.

TUSR

Banned

2880x1800, not x1600.

Scaled resolutions work quite well on the 15", hardly notice a difference in demands.

jts

...hate me...
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

My ooolde 2010 MBP 13" C2D is looking hot right now with a custom 1TB Fusion Drive (250GB SSD + 750GB HDD). Less than 30 seconds to be on the desktop fully operational :D

And I managed to salvage all my old data which is the silver lining in all this.

Been postponing this forever, but I'm loving it.

I also just put an SSD in my base model late 2010 13" MBP, it's a like a new computer, every opens up almost instantly, just incredibly fast now

Fresh OSX install too?

no, just did a copy of the hard drive image, getting 200/260 write/read speeds

I pretty much just use Safari, Word, iTunes, iPhoto, Spotify, and they all open up basically instantly. The speed bump has been so dramatic I can easily wait another 6-7 months for another laptop before I give this away to my girl

TUSR

Banned
no, just did a copy of the hard drive image, getting 200/260 write/read speeds

I pretty much just use Safari, Word, iTunes, iPhoto, Spotify, and they all open up basically instantly. The speed bump has been so dramatic I can easily wait another 6-7 months for another laptop before I give this away to my girl

I typically recommend full clean installs when new OSX versions come out and hardware changes.

But if its doing what you want and how you want. Don't listen to me.

SeanR1221

Base model iMacs from 2008 don't support (officially) over 4GB of ram. Though 6GB does work.

Do a complete clean install of ML if you even are considering it.

Complete clean install?

Also, I just bought a MacBook Pro. Easiest way to transfer music on my iMac to it?

TUSR

Banned
Complete clean install?

Also, I just bought a MacBook Pro. Easiest way to transfer music on my iMac to it?

Copy iTune folder to the computer, place it in the right location and point iTunes to that library.

In my case, im running my iTunes off a 64GB SDXC card because I only got the 256GB SSD in the 15" Retina.

What kind of improvements would I get with a clean install?

Potential to be faster.

Copy iTune folder to the computer, place it in the right location and point iTunes to that library.

In my case, im running my iTunes off a 64GB SDXC card because I only got the 256GB SSD in the 15" Retina.

Potential to be faster.

How has this been working out for you so far? I have a 15" retina as well and haven't gotten around to buying a SDXC card yet.

JayDub

Im confused. Is this true? I thought the Retina only has 2880x1600 pixels, and scales any usable space higher than "Best for Retina" (1440x900) to 2880x1600. So, the GPU is still only rendering 2880x1600 pixels, not 3360x2100 (at a usable space of 1680x1050) but with less pixel density at anything higher than "Best for Retina".

Someone please clarify. I've seen some "tech experts" (spec sheet readers with fancy camera angles) on Youtube saying this exact same thing.

TUSR

Banned
How has this been working out for you so far? I have a 15" retina as well and haven't gotten around to buying a SDXC card yet.

Since it operates on a 'random read' premise, it hasn't been working as well as hoped.

My library is small (~1500 songs) and there is a hangup when selecting tracks outside of smaller playlists. The sequential read and write speeds are fine, albeit slow. My 64GB SanDisk card reads/writes at 30MB/s.

You're better off using an external HD for iTune libraries that are reasonable sized. But if you can deal with a second or two delay when clicking on a random song, you will be fine.

It should be noted that when running a random playlist of your whole library, there is no hang ups when transitioning song-song. Only when selecting individual songs.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So what are rumors saying about the 2013 MBPr 13" and its graphics? I'm hoping they're dedicated instead of integrated...I really don't want to go for 15" next year.

TUSR

Banned
Im confused. Is this true? I thought the Retina only has 2880x1600 pixels, and scales any usable space higher than "Best for Retina" (1440x900) to 2880x1600. So, the GPU is still only rendering 2880x1600 pixels, not 3360x2100 (at a usable space of 1680x1050) but with less pixel density at anything higher than "Best for Retina".

Someone please clarify. I've seen some "tech experts" (spec sheet readers with fancy camera angles) on Youtube saying this exact same thing.

Please get it right. 2880x1800.

Hope these help you visualize whats going on.

So what are rumors saying about the 2013 MBPr 13" and its graphics? I'm hoping they're dedicated instead of integrated...I really don't want to go for 15" next year.

The 15" integrated graphics has troubles running the display. I force the 650m to be running at all times, except when I know I wont be using a charger for a while.

The 13" is pure integrated graphics at this point, because thats what the price point dictates for Apple. I HIGHLY recommend not getting either at this point.

LCfiner

No rumour about the 13" retina. aside from the obvious Haswell upgrade at some point in 2013. Maybe the Haswell GPU will be a big enough improvement over the HD4000?

as long as the default storage is 128 GB and getting 256 costs a fortune, the 13" model will remain an awful deal compared to the 15".

edit: plus they're limited to dual core chips and 8 GB RAM...

JayDub

I know how it scales. My question is, if its 2880x1800, why are people saying the GPU renders a higher res for any usable space higher than "Best for Retina"? Isn't the 2880x1800 set, and all other resolutions scale to whatever setting you have?

So a usable space of 1680x1050 scales to that usable space, but has 2880x1800 pixels. Why are people saying that, at a usable space of 1680x1050, the GPU renders 3360x2100 pixels?

Thats not true, right? For that example, the GPU is still only rendering 2880x1800 pixels, but scaling to a 1680x1050 space.

The 15" integrated graphics has troubles running the display. I force the 650m to be running at all times, except when I know I wont be using a charger for a while.

The 13" is pure integrated graphics at this point, because thats what the price point dictates for Apple. I HIGHLY recommend not getting either at this point.

so you're saying the integrated graphics card isn't powerful enough on the 15"? Because my friend just got one I couldn't believe I saw stuttering by just simply swiping left and right

JayDub

so you're saying the integrated graphics card isn't powerful enough on the 15"? Because my friend just got one I couldn't believe I saw stuttering by just simply swiping left and right

Its a software issue, for sure. Pretty much proven by the Webkit nightlies. With that browser, even the 13" MBPr's stuttering goes away.

Also, tested by Anandtech.

Also, Ken, get your iMac yet? I wonder what you and Gary will think of it.

TUSR

Banned
I know how it scales. My question is, if its 2880x1800, why are people saying the GPU renders a higher res for any usable space higher than "Best for Retina"? Isn't the 2880x1800 set, and all other resolutions scale to whatever setting you have?

So a usable space of 1680x1050 scales to that usable space, but has 2880x1800 pixels. Why are people saying that, at a usable space of 1680x1050, the GPU renders 3360x2100 pixels?

Thats not true, right? For that example, the GPU is still only rendering 2880x1800 pixels, but scaling to a 1680x1050 space.

There is only 2880x1800 pixels available on your screen. Apple uses software scaling to use those 2880x1800 pixels to make a 1440x900 display. Which is typically called a double pixel display. (2x horizontal, 2x vertical)

So there are actually 4 physical pixels driving one represented on the screen. But when you get into other modes of scaling its not a nice flat 2:1 ratio (each direction).

Apple does render the screen at a higher resolution (not sure on the values) and then scales it down to fit on the 2880x1800 display.

Im saying exactly that actually, even though I do use a scaled resolution, it shouldn't be this horrible. I've found a few work arounds with Chrome to smooth my scrolling. But I could prepare a video for you guys to demonstrate the difference in the video cards.

Top Bottom