• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Chef said:
No idea why. HD must not be compatible even though they say it is. Well, worth a shot I guess. Gonna return them tomorrow.

If you can find a USB adaptor, plug it into another computer and try to verify the drive; would confirm pretty quickly if it's the MBA or the HDDs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, has anyone here installed bootcamp on one of the new Airs yet? I'm really really curious about performance on some back catalogue games like WoW and most source engine games. I can't for the life of me find any benchmarks for this stuff under windows.

th3dude

Jtwo said:
Hey, has anyone here installed bootcamp on one of the new Airs yet? I'm really really curious about performance on some back catalogue games like WoW and most source engine games. I can't for the life of me find any benchmarks for this stuff under windows.

Any reason you want to play those games in Bootcamp? Those are all Mac compatible.

noah111

Still Alive
Bboy AJ said:
Sentry, looks nice. I'm not sure about that curved bottom, though. Would be nice if it were just flat and industrial when it's that thin, IMO. I suspect Apple will go your way, though.

I wish Apple would go bezel less. I'd like a smaller footprint in my MBA 11. It's still not as small as it could be.
You're right, a totally flat design would be nicer, although i'm not sure how feasible;

okz7uo.jpg

Just lift your MacBook and loot at it edge-on. Now imagine that part where it deviates from the edge wall and curves, didn't exist. JUST the wall, with a flat belly.

With this design, I was doing some measurements on my MBP and I could see them getting down to exactly 1cm thick. Maybe 1.1.. but seriously, it's a design I definitely wouldn't mind seeing. Imagine an all-flat design, no curves except the round corners of course. Imagine how thin they may be able to make it this way, iPhone 4 style. It literally would feel like a block of aluminum.

Thinking about it now, I have a question for you all. How much would you miss the self-illuminating Apple logo on the back of MacBooks if it was removed? I could see them making a black Apple logo as they do on the iMacs, if they need to remove the illumination feature in order to make the screen piece thinner. Does the Air illuminate? How thin is the screen segment in comparison to the MBP's?

Meus Renaissance said:
I need to find a way to combat this.
About the keyboard, I also have the shinning/greasing problem i've seen come up with gaffers a lot. I use the lint free cloth that comes with MB and individually scrub each key, works well enough for a few days. Trick is to always keep your hands (more importantly, fingertips) soapy clean. Even a swipe of your hand through your seemingly clean hair every now and then, will result in shine keys.

I wonder if there's a better matte material the could use for the keys, there has to be. It's such a non-issue that it's barely a non-issue, but it can be annoying for us neat freaks. The trackpad also has this effect, however unnoticeable. Just lift your MacBook and view the trackpad at an angle, revealing the reflection of the MB monitor, and you'll see it really is made of glass, as well as all the smudges and whatnot.

Also, will they update the key for expose/dashboard in future MacBooks/keyboards? Surely they don't plan to keep these two buttons.

We all know how useless dashboard is, definitely unworthy for a key imo, and now that we have mission control i'm not sure how relevant expose is for its own key.. maybe a mission control key instead of the dashboard one? Or am I alone in my inactive use of widgets? Found it to be a memory hog constantly being used even when not in use…

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Also, will they update the key for expose/dashboard in future MacBooks/keyboards? Surely they don't plan to keep these two buttons.

We all know how useless dashboard is, definitely unworthy for a key imo, and now that we have mission control i'm not sure how relevant expose is for its own key.. maybe a mission control key instead of the dashboard one? Or am I alone in my inactive use of widgets? Found it to be a memory hog constantly being used even when not in use…
It's quite obvious they will be when they update them. Be patient. I hate how I can't even set my Dashboard key to be LaunchPad though. It sucks. Oh well, soon I'll have an Air anyway.

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
It's quite obvious they will be when they update them. Be patient. I hate how I can't even set my Dashboard key to be LaunchPad though. It sucks. Oh well, soon I'll have an Air anyway.
Wait, so does the Air already have updated key icons/Dash key triggers Launch Pad/Mission Control?

noah111

Still Alive
I didn't know that.. oh and since everyone has already posted their hardware info, here's mine (MacBook Pro 15" 09 iirc, bought it sealed on craigslist, saved a few hundred);

20trlll.jpg

[Magic Mous which I rarely use, and 1TB Toshiba HDD)
rgwj68.jpg

No Lion = no fancy info:(due to my country dilemma if some of you remember form that thread), so more info;

1zb7yg9.jpg

Have my HDD currently partitioned to 260GB for Mac HD, and 60GB for Win 7 Bootcamp usage. I find myself with only a few gigs space on each lately, so i'm buying a 500GB soon.

bhgk8j.jpg

Have had this MBP more than a year now, but it feels much longer than that. I love it, will never go back. Before I used a Viao but that broke down horribly over the years, then a thick Toshiba which also broke down and died. Thankfully my MBP is still going strong, despite nearly 24/7 usage out of it. I hope to upgrade when the refreshes hit if major enough (what's the rumors on that btw?), + along with a display.

Tedesco!

Is there anything comparable to the Apple cinema displays? I know there has to be some good monitors that aren't going to cost me a grand.

Tedesco! said:
Is there anything comparable to the Apple cinema displays? I know there has to be some good monitors that aren't going to cost me a grand.

If you're using it with a notebook their dock-like capabilities are priceless.

LCfiner

Tedesco! said:

Dell U series ultrasharp monitors are IPS displays. the 27” one is super expensive like the Apple model but they have a range of smaller sizes that will still look great but are more affordable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
sn1pes said:
Any reason you want to play those games in Bootcamp? Those are all Mac compatible.
Gaming and Steam are just better on Windows. Period. And I really don't mind going through the trouble to install Bootcamp. So I'm really curious, and haven't seen anyone do it yet. Obviously it won't be my main gaming platform, but the thought of curling up in bed with a tiny laptop and still being able to do some gaming on it is a pretty good one. Minecraft under the sheets!

I know all the games will run and be perfectly playable, I'm just curious what settings/res/perf combo is gonna be needed.

Tedesco!

AbsoluteZero said:
If you're using it with a notebook their dock-like capabilities are priceless.

I'm not. The university is a little squeamish about paying 2k for two monitors, and asked that I try to find something less expensive.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh fuck something's wrong with my MBA trackpad. It doesn't depress properly anymore and I can only get a click by pressing a corner. The same phenomena happened to my old MBP; I'm cursed :(

I really feel like the current Macbook air is the end of laptop evolution. It's super thin, light, sexy, all flash storage and no optical drive. What other major features could they add, besides just making the processors more powerful (and I guess putting in a dedicated graphics card)? Obv the Macbook pros are going to be redesigned next year without an optical drive and likely some kind of optical/ssd combo. I wonder in the next few years what will differentiate the macbook pros and airs. Screen size? Processor power?

Im about to sell my souped up 07' Macbook Pro and get an iPad! Do you guys think I could get 800$ for ...
A 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, has everything standard, includes a charger, buttons and keyboard in great shape...
- Added the 7200rpm Hard Drive
- Upgraded to 4 GB of ram from 2 GB
- Upgraded to Lion!
- Almost perfect condition, thanks to a speck case thats never been off of it!

Or is that still too much? I originally thought 600$ was fair until a mac-value site said its retail value was 1000$!

njean777

Xal-Shoota said:
Im about to sell my souped up 07' Macbook Pro and get an iPad! Do you guys think I could get 800$ for ...
A 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, has everything standard, includes a charger, buttons and keyboard in great shape...
- Added the 7200rpm Hard Drive
- Upgraded to 4 GB of ram from 2 GB
- Upgraded to Lion!
- Almost perfect condition, thanks to a speck case thats never been off of it!

Or is that still too much? I originally thought 600$ was fair until a mac-value site said its retail value was 1000$!

Try 900 and let the negotiations go from there. Especially if you are putting it on Craigslist.

noah111

Still Alive
Greyface said:
Oh fuck something's wrong with my MBA trackpad. It doesn't depress properly anymore and I can only get a click by pressing a corner. The same phenomena happened to my old MBP; I'm cursed :(
Take it back to the Apple store, i'm sure they will help you.

@Synth_floyd, I feel the same but until I can get a decent priced MBA with 500GB SSD, I can't switch. Honestly, the minimum I can bear to have is 320 and it's killing me already.

Ok i got my 27" iMac today. It is too damn big. My neck hurts because i have to move my head constantly to see everything that is going on the screen. Sounds crazy, i know. But i'm going back to a 24" cinema display.

And the screen has a yellow taint too which makes it even easier to send the imac back to Amazon.

shira

Sentry said:
Take it back to the Apple store, i'm sure they will help you.

@Synth_floyd, I feel the same but until I can get a decent priced MBA with 500GB SSD, I can't switch. Honestly, the minimum I can bear to have is 320 and it's killing me already.
Why do you need portable half a terabyte?

Jasoco

Banned
The Cinema display is EOL. They're replaced by the Thunderbolt Display. Is the ATD not available on the store? It's 27" and it's the only one they make now.

Jasoco said:
The Cinema display is EOL. They're replaced by the Thunderbolt Display. Is the ATD not available on the store? It's 27" and it's the only one they make now.

Yeah, that's what had me confused. They have the 27" thunderbolt but at a thousand dollars (inching towards $1200 thanks to our wonderful sales taxes), so I was looking to see if they had a smaller option. I mean, it's a nice display, but may as well shell out for the iMac at that price. Still leaning towards the 13" air, though.

shira said:
Why do you need portable half a terabyte?

I can see why he'd want it, on my laptop I like to have all my music which for me at the moment is around 225GB. Add in photos, a few videos, all my apps and whatnot and it fills up really quickly.

Jasoco

Banned
I'd love 3TB in my laptop so I can carry everything with me, but that won't happen for years. Actually, I'd prefer 5TB so I can future-proof for a few years more. And I'd like it on an SSD. What's the biggest chip they've even made for SSD's? (Cost aside of course)

JackEtc

3N16MA said:
It would be nice if they offered a line of displays again instead of just one size.
Yea, I have a 24" monitor now and I love it, and feel like it's just small enough for a college dorm desk. When I get my MBP for college next year, I'll probably bring it with me. But a 27"? I think that's a bit too big. I'd buy a 24" thunderbolt one.

Jasoco said:
I'd love 3TB in my laptop so I can carry everything with me, but that won't happen for years. Actually, I'd prefer 5TB so I can future-proof for a few years more. And I'd like it on an SSD. What's the biggest chip they've even made for SSD's? (Cost aside of course)

Single chip? Well that's a tricky question because there are different classes of flash. The stuff in your iPhone isn't exactly the same as the stuff in your MacBook. Density is still going up, but the average SSD is literally stacked with chips. I think the biggest MLC NAND die right now is 8GB? Stuff like the iPad uses much higher density chips (16 and soon 32) but they have other performance disadvantages and aren't cheap.

You probably aren't going to see TBs of laptop SSD storage until we discover new breakthroughs in lithography. We can probably hit 1TB in a 2.5" drive (probably plenty of chips though) and then it's really up to guys like Intel to figure out what's next when we hit 10nm.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Here is something for nostalgia purposes:

Apple Puts Power Mac G4 Cube on Ice

CUPERTINO, California—July 3, 2001—Apple® today announced that it will suspend production of the Power Mac™ G4 Cube indefinitely. The company said there is a small chance it will reintroduce an upgraded model of the unique computer in the future, but that there are no plans to do so at this time.

“Cube owners love their Cubes, but most customers decided to buy our powerful Power Mac G4 minitowers instead,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

The Power Mac G4 Cube, at less than one fourth the size of most PCs, represented an entirely new class of computer delivering high performance in an eight-inch cube suspended in a stunning crystal-clear enclosure.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Press Contacts:
Nathalie Welch
Apple
(408) 974-5430
welch@apple.com
Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and Power Mac are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Count me as one of those who loved their Cube. My first Mac as a matter of fact.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/07/03Apple-Puts-Power-Mac-G4-Cube-on-Ice.html

JackEtc said:
Yea, I have a 24" monitor now and I love it, and feel like it's just small enough for a college dorm desk. When I get my MBP for college next year, I'll probably bring it with me. But a 27"? I think that's a bit too big. I'd buy a 24" thunderbolt one.
The 27" monitors are the exact same height as the previous 24" monitors they made. They're just wider.

So I'm about to buy some RAM for my high end 15" Macbook Pro. I need 8GB. Any ram you guys recommend? And maybe a link to the website or something. I'm a total noob!

Thanks in advance!

Okay, I need to ask this question, I always had it in my mind. This is not just a Macbook question but could be used for any laptop with a Lithium Ion battery.

If you use your laptop a lot, say around 5- 10 hours, some laptop might need couple of charges but in my case, the new Macbook Air requires one charge with an average life of around 5 hours. The question is, do I need to leave it plugged in all the time or do I have to keep using the battery and recharge it completely and then re-use it till it discharges again?

So it is more like, more battery cycles vs one or none battery cycle per day?

JackEtc

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The 27" monitors are the exact same height as the previous 24" monitors they made. They're just wider.
Really? Huh, may consider that then if I ever had the money.

noah111

Still Alive
Actually, that's not true. The 27" definitely has extended height, not just width. However the ratio is wide than that of the 24" I'd recommend the 27" if you have the desk space, but 24" is no slouch.

JackEtc

Sentry said:
Actually, that's not true. The 27" definitely has extended height, not just width. However the ratio is wide than that of the 24" I'd recommend the 27" if you have the desk space, but 24" is no slouch.
I guess I'll have to see when I go to school next year if there would be room for a monitor.

Macbooks can just hook up to a regular monitor right? It's just you gotta use the actual ports on the MBP instead of the monitor, right?

Sentry said:
imac-comaprison.jpg

Just a little bit of additional height, but I guess I should clarify that it's just the iMacs that are the same physical height overall.

The additional space is almost all in the width since it went from 16:10 to 16:9.

Futureman

Sold my 2010 core i7 MBP w/ hi-res screen on eBay last night for $1,175.

Sandy Bridge killed some of the resale value I suppose. I mean, I previously sold a 4 year old iMac for $500 and a year old MBP only got about double that.

noah111

Still Alive
:lol damn, either way then! Personally though looking at the 24" iMac in that shot makes me rethink it, it's hideous in comparison to the 27". I mean, dat chin!

Okay guys, I need some help. I've asked before but wasn't really helped. I'm about to upgrade my new MBP with some RAM or an SSD drive. What should I do?

In case of RAM: Is CRUCIAL ram good or not? Also, I can't buy on newegg since it's US only.

In case of SSD: which ones? Crucial?

Thanks in advance.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
eravulgaris said:
Okay guys, I need some help. I've asked before but wasn't really helped. I'm about to upgrade my new MBP with some RAM or an SSD drive. What should I do?

In case of RAM: Is CRUCIAL ram good or not? Also, I can't buy on newegg since it's US only.

Thanks in advance.

Crucial is considered a good brand for RAM and SSDs. Can't say anything about their customer service, but from what I've seen they look very professional.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've given up hope that there will be a retina display iPad this year and now have to make a choice:

• Keep 11" Air (1.4 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 64GB ssd) and add the new cheapest Mac Mini
  • Sell 11" Air, get the new 13" Air with the best specs
  • Sell 11" Air, get new Mac Mini with best specs and an iPad 2
I'd like some advice from anyone with similar setups.

bionic77

eravulgaris said:

Thanks in advance.
If you can swing it get a Apple supported SSD. Otherwise I am rocking a 115 GB OWC and I am loving it so far. Supposedly can get by without TRIM over time as well but it is too new to test that claim.

Top Bottom