• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

LCfiner

Greyface said:
I've given up hope that there will be a retina display iPad this year and now have to make a choice:

• Keep 11" Air (1.4 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 64GB ssd) and add the new cheapest Mac Mini
  • Sell 11" Air, get the new 13" Air with the best specs
  • Sell 11" Air, get new Mac Mini with best specs and an iPad 2
I'd like some advice from anyone with similar setups.

I went to iMac and iPad and ditched the laptop as soon as I got the first iPad. I didn’t have to compromise storage space, screen size and speed for the desktop and I didn’t have to compromise weight, battery life and ergonomics for the mobile device (and it cost less than a grand).

but, my mobile needs are very simple. I don’t work from the ipad (though I could to a certain extent). I just wanted battery life, the form factor and the light weight.

If your mobile needs are light, I’d go for mac mini (or iMac, to be honest) and ipad.

If you need a laptop for work or for some very specific, advanced needs (work that requires more than just email and a browser) then I would get the 13” air.

Greyface said:
I've given up hope that there will be a retina display iPad this year and now have to make a choice:

• Keep 11" Air (1.4 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 64GB ssd) and add the new cheapest Mac Mini
  • Sell 11" Air, get the new 13" Air with the best specs
  • Sell 11" Air, get new Mac Mini with best specs and an iPad 2
I'd like some advice from anyone with similar setups.

Well you'll get the best range of use out of the third option. The iPad 2 really is great to use, and you still get a working Mac out of the deal. Getting a new Air is cool (hell, I'm close to doing that myself) but it won't supplant my iPad.

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks for the advice. I'm going for the Mac mini with the GPU. I'd get the cpu, memory and hard drive upgrades if those were available at the retail locations but they aren't, right? I plan to replace the memory and put in a SSD later. I'm hoping that the 4GB and 5400 hard drive is still an improvement over this:

PFjwD.png

Jasoco

Banned
I'm planning on getting a cheap small SSD and 8GB RAM for my mini server to speed it up. It's the same exact machine as my MBP stock but is so slow now that I upgraded the hell out of the Pro.

I've asked this a number of times before in other threads, but I figure I should ask one last time because I want to get it right--which mouse should I buy? The one I've had is at least 7 years old (with only two buttons and a scroll wheel), so I really have no idea what to look for. I prefer wired, and it doesn't need to be a high-end gaming mouse--just something functional and reliable.

LCfiner

Jimmy Stav said:
I've asked this a number of times before in other threads, but I figure I should ask one last time because I want to get it right--which mouse should I buy? The one I've had is at least 7 years old (with only two buttons and a scroll wheel), so I really have no idea what to look for. I prefer wired, and it doesn't need to be a high-end gaming mouse--just something functional and reliable.

logitech mx518. used it for years at work. it's sweet.

(but I wouldn't install the logitech drivers as they have a history of crappy mac drivers)

Lee N

Membre
Oh yeah, I forgot to post in this thread. I picked up my 13" Macbook Air today. 256GB i5 model. It's awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, so yesterday I finally got around to installing Windows into Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro's SSD. (The trouble I go through for Windows only games like Super Meat Boy.) But of course eventually I will be getting an Air. So I have a couple questions...

1) The obvious one, how do I get Windows onto the machine? Can Windows 7's install DVD be burned to a Flash drive? I don't own one big enough, but I could buy one to temporarily install Windows if I have to. Can it alternatively be placed on a hard drive partition instead like Lion can? I am not familiar with Windows and what it can boot from, though I know the Mac can boot from all this stuff.

2) Can I just simply somehow backup/clone my existing W7 partition to the Air's drive directly? I know it is probably impossible from the OS X side since NTFS is unwritable. Is there software (FREE please) on the Windows side that can clone my files to be restored? I am so used to Carbon Copy Cloner and OS X's freedom to boot from anything without requiring any sort of re-activation. This isn't as important since I don't really have that much in Windows, but it was a pain to install all the BootCamp drivers and then the Parallels drivers on the Parallels side and all my browsers and apps and stuff.

3) Seems Parallels and BootCamp like to handle things differently. I notice that when booted into Windows directly, BC's drivers will mount all my Mac drives as HFS and read-only, which is cool since I never really want to change anything from Windows and I wouldn't want any potential virii or rogue programs erasing my Mac drives. But when I boot into Windows from Parallels, it mounts my drives as network drives. Which would be fine, but it means that if say I am in BC and set my desktop pictures (Wallpaper) folder in Windows to the folder I have full of desktop pictures, it works great.... but as soon as I boot into Parallels, it can no longer find the OS X drive at the right path since it is now a network drive. Is there any way at all to get Parallels to mount my Mac drives as actual local drives in Windows instead of network drives? It would be super awesome. I miss my desktop pictures collection when I'm in Windows and hate that Parallels does it differently. I would hope running Windows from the BC partition it would switch to using BC's drivers to do the same thing from inside of it. (I'd rather not have to make a copy of all my desktop pictures on the local Windows drive if I can avoid it.)

If this is the wrong place, please link me to a Windows thread with some people willing to help. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
K, so I'm finally finalizing my upgrade plans.

How crazy can AirPlay get? I'm really looking to take this opportunity to set up a much nicer media solution than I currently have.

My current plans are to use my current MBP as a home server. Now, obviously I can stream whatever content I put on it over an Apple TV. But I don't want to use a remote. At all. I'm going to have all this stuff hidden away and just use my new Macbook Air to control everything.

I know that if I'm streaming music from my MBA I can control everything from iTunes. But what about if I'm streaming media from my Server/MBP? How does that work?

Can I trigger a movie to play from the server with the MBA? What would that look like? Would I just select the server from the devices list on iTunes and then click send to ATV?

I'm getting confused trying to figure out how all of this is going to work, and there don't seem to be many Airplay tutorials out there. I'm gonna put a SERIOUS amount of content on my server when I get a new computer, and I really want to be able to access the content on all my devices.

I mean, could I stream videos from the server to the MBA if I wanted to.. and throw it on the tv part way through with no fuss? It seems like I can do pretty much everything I want if I was storing the media on the new MBA, but I'm talking like terabytes of data here.

shira

Jasoco said:
1) The obvious one, how do I get Windows onto the machine? Can Windows 7's install DVD be burned to a Flash drive? I don't own one big enough, but I could buy one to temporarily install Windows if I have to. Can it alternatively be placed on a hard drive partition instead like Lion can? I am not familiar with Windows and what it can boot from, though I know the Mac can boot from all this stuff.
You are required to have W7 on a flash drive

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I can help you get a bootable Windows image onto that flashdrive.

only catch is you have to use Windows to create it, but since you already do its easy as pie!

You're gonna need to use an elevated command prompt, so go to accessories and right click command prompt and select run as administrator!!!!!!!! Its important you act very commanding during this process.

So then we're going to need to fire up diskpart.

type diskpart and hit ENNNNNNTTTEERRRRR
they type list or list disk and identify which disk your USB key is from the list
Then type select disk X
X is the disk you just identified in step 2
type clean (you can do clean all or cleanall to completely 0 out the disk if you prefer) oh yeah, this could take a minute or two, the command prompt will tell you when its done
type create partition primary

then you select partition 1
heres where you activate it, you type active
and finally type assign

Alright, hardparts over.
Now headover to my computer, make sure you have your Win7disk inserted or your .iso mounted. Right click the Windows disc and select "open"

Then you're going to drag the entire contents of the disk over to the USB drive you just created.

And thats pretty much it. just created one yesterday.

Oh yeah, this is the part where I throw a wrench in your plans, lol. So apparently there are problems with EFI booting windows from a USB drive. I've scoured the internet to hell and back and nearly everyone says it wont work. Except for one dude who was probably lying.

Now, you should try anyway because maybe the new macs are different. But you're most likely going to need REFIT. On my MBP when I use REFIT, it can at least see the disc alongside my OSX and Bootcamp partitions. But when I try to boot from it into the Windows installer I get a 'LEGACY USB NOT SUPPORTED' error.

So, try your luck. At worst you'll have a nice fresh bootable USB of Win7 that just won't work on Macs.

Jasoco

Banned
Geeze. In OS X I can create a bootable disk from anything by opening Disk Utility and performing one step. What the fuck, Microsoft?

I can't just use Disk Utility to create the USB stick the same way I make the OS X disk? is Windows really so picky about such a stupid thing?

Alternatively, could I put my Windows install disc in my mini and use DVD sharing? I mean, isn't that what Apple created it for? Or can it not boot from one even with an Apple helper assistant? There must be an official Apple way to install Windows onto a MacBook Air.

strata8

Jasoco said:
Geeze. In OS X I can create a bootable disk from anything by opening Disk Utility and performing one step. What the fuck, Microsoft?

I can't just use Disk Utility to create the USB stick the same way I make the OS X disk? is Windows really so picky about such a stupid thing?

Alternatively, could I put my Windows install disc in my mini and use DVD sharing? I mean, isn't that what Apple created it for? Or can it not boot from one even with an Apple helper assistant? There must be an official Apple way to install Windows onto a MacBook Air.
http://wudt.codeplex.com/

(Microsoft's tool for creating bootable Windows 7 USBs)

Sorry if this isn't helpful, didn't really read through all the posts.

No_Style

Talk about going through the long way.

Here, follow these instructions.

Essentially, you make an ISO out of Windows 7 and use that utility to transfer the files onto a USB stick. This tool will make it bootable as well.

Edit: Similar if not the same tool as the one NotTarts posted.

Crateman

Hey everyone! Just a quick question.

I bought a 2011 13'' MacBook Pro last May and I'm quite worried regarding the reported battery health. According to Coconut Battery and iStat Menu, my battery has only 74 cycles and the battery health is already at 89%!!! My old 2006 MacBook is under its second battery with 324 cycles and is at 98% capacity. I've tried recalibrating the battery, reseting SMC and PRAM and so far it keeps going down.

Anybody else having similar issues?

noah111

Still Alive
Wow, try using another program and see its results? According to iStat Pro mine is at 454 cycles with 92% health. I also wonder though, how good is that? When will I start to see a real difference?

Also, what can I do to prolongue this effect? Always charge it to full, keep it in the charger, deplete it fully then begin charging? What, exactly? It would be nice to know.

Blackhead

Redarse
argh. i'm really frustrated with Apple's Magic Trackpad design. Has any third party made a portable base so the trackpad can be clicked when it's not on a hard surface?

Lee N

Membre
Greyface said:
argh. i'm really frustrated with Apple's Magic Trackpad design. Has any third party made a portable base so the trackpad can be clicked when it's not on a hard surface?
Have you tried enabling "Tap to click" in the trackpad settings?

bbagwell

The magic wand is a plastic part that keeps the touchpad and keyboard together but it does not provide any surface under the touchpad to help with the clicking issue.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jill Sandwich said:
I have that already. It doesn't work for what the scenarios I need. I can't place the trackpad on a 'soft' surface and click.

LyleLanley said:
I considered that but I didn't want to wait for it to ship and decided to test the magicwand first. I'm leaning towards the bullettrain express but want to see if they'll really make a third version.

What I really want though is a standalone like the mobee magic charger
LzTXw.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
I would need to put the trackpad on the left. Not the right. So I'd need an ambidextrous model.
It's ambidextrous.
Twelve South said:
It’s a snap (literally) to set up, and you can position the trackpad on either side of your keyboard (lefty’s rejoice).

Jimmy Stav said:

So I ended up getting the Logitech g400, and I couldn't adapt to it. Not only is it bigger and heavier than my last mouse, but the third-party drivers required to make it work right weren't something I felt like messing with. Any other recommendations?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm planning to get a Mac Mini this fall for my parents. I've watched a few videos of the newest 2011 model and it seems a lot of people are using the mini-HDMI to DVI cable as opposed to just an HDMI cable. This machine is going to be used as a desktop, so assuming the LED monitor I get supports HDMI, which connection is better?

Topher said:
I'm planning to get a Mac Mini this fall for my parents. I've watched a few videos of the newest 2011 model and it seems a lot of people are using the mini-HDMI to DVI cable as opposed to just an HDMI cable. This machine is going to be used as a desktop, so assuming the LED monitor I get supports HDMI, which connection is better?
They are identical except HDMI can also support audio.

bbagwell

lawblob said:
Would I see an appreciable difference installing 8gb ram into my 2011 13" MacBook Pro? It currently has 4gb.

I did that with my 15" 2011 MBP and have definitely seen a nice improvement in general activities.

alterno69

Banned
I need to get a Mac for video editing, i currently own a 2009 Macbook and it can get pretty slow with some of the large files i use, would an iMac be enough or would a workstation be required. I want to spend as little as possible cause i'm also getting a new video camera and lighting equipment. I already have a PC which i use for 3ds Max modelling to compliment my video editing projects but i fell in love with my Macbook and final cut/motion.

alterno69 said:
I need to get a Mac for video editing, [...] would an iMac be enough or would a workstation be required. [...]

Given that you can get Thunderbolt enclosures for fast storage, I think the iMac would be good enough. May want to compare the price of an iMac with the storage you need versus a Mac Pro, though, since the latter has four internal bays. Don't buy drives from Apple.

FYI, new Mac Pros likely due this fall sometime.

Tedesco!

alterno69 said:
I need to get a Mac for video editing, i currently own a 2009 Macbook and it can get pretty slow with some of the large files i use, would an iMac be enough or would a workstation be required. I want to spend as little as possible cause i'm also getting a new video camera and lighting equipment. I already have a PC which i use for 3ds Max modelling to compliment my video editing projects but i fell in love with my Macbook and final cut/motion.

I've been editing video on an '05 iMac. It's slow, but I'm surprised at the fact that it still holds up. What kind of video equipment and lighting are you looking at purchasing?

alterno69

Banned
I'm gettin the Canon XA10, i've read nothing but praise for the little fucker, also have to get lamps and screens cause i'm building a little studio, nothing fancy, just basic chroma keying. I've had an awesome summer almost by accident making videos for a big company and i'm going to start making wedding videos and the like as well as keep working for such company.

Also, i'm leaning towards a desktop cause my Macbook is still in very good shape but some extra muscle will come in handy for sure.

Ryck

I have a buddy selling a Apple PowerMac G5 Dual Processor PowerPC G5 2.0GHz. Is this a decent computer for basic things? I guess what I am asking is if I buy this computer will it run ok? and what kind of use life will I get from it ( assuming of course it runs perfectly and all that)?

LCfiner

Ryck said:
I have a buddy selling a Apple PowerMac G5 Dual Processor PowerPC G5 2.0GHz. Is this a decent computer for basic things? I guess what I am asking is if I buy this computer will it run ok? and what kind of use life will I get from it ( assuming of course it runs perfectly and all that)?

it will run OK (not great) but the Power PC chip is not supported and most new software requires the Intel chips that came out around 6 years ago. the new OS update, for example, is Intel only

I don’t know what the guy is charging but if it’s more than 400 bucks, don’t bother because of the lack of new software you can use. a new core i5 Mac mini is 600, will be supported for many more years and will run faster than any older PPC chip.

alterno69

Banned
Which iMac model would you guys recommend considering what i said? Again, video editing, 3d rendering, graphics design. Considering my Macbook barely makes the job i'm guessing i could work with the cheapest or the next model?

LCfiner

alterno69 said:
Which iMac model would you guys recommend considering what i said? Again, video editing, 3d rendering, graphics design. Considering my Macbook barely makes the job i'm guessing i could work with the cheapest or the next model?

base 27” model. I say skip the 21” version and go for the extra screen real estate of the 27” screen based on the things you’ll be doing on it - they all need lots of pixels.

the higher end 27” model has a significantly better GPU but that won’t make or break performance for you.

Ryck

LCfiner said:
it will run OK (not great) but the Power PC chip is not supported and most new software requires the Intel chips that came out around 6 years ago. the new OS update, for example, is Intel only

I don’t know what the guy is charging but if it’s more than 400 bucks, don’t bother because of the lack of new software you can use. a new core i5 Mac mini is 600, will be supported for many more years and will run faster than any older PPC chip.
Ok thanks for the info he is selling it for $250.00 but I think I will pass and get a another Mac Mini for my office. ( I have a c2d version thats about 4 years old at home) I currently have a Hackintosh here at work but I wanted to upgrade to Lion and that is a pain on it.

alterno69

Banned
LCfiner said:
base 27” model. I say skip the 21” version and go for the extra screen real estate of the 27” screen based on the things you’ll be doing on it - they all need lots of pixels.

the higher end 27” model has a significantly better GPU but that won’t make or break performance for you.

FWIW i have a LED 24" Monitor that i plan to use as a secondary monitor, would you still recommend the 27" version? Is there much of a difference performance wise?

LCfiner

alterno69 said:
FWIW i have a LED 24" Monitor that i plan to use as a secondary monitor, would you still recommend the 27" version? Is there much of a difference performance wise?

well at that point I think it’s way more about personal preference and how you like using dual monitors. you could probably just get the 21” model and spread stuff around on the screens if you’re cool working like that (some people like two screens. some don’t) and save a bit over the 27” model. or just get the one 27” screen and maybe sell the 24” screen.

buuut…. all the iMacs except the pricey top end model only have 512 MB of VRAM. so that’s gonna be a little strained running the two screens at once and might cause some slight hitches and delays if you use mission control and expose.

oh, and I’ll repeat my advice from all old Apple threads of getting a refurb model if you can online from apple’s refurb store. they are “like new” and you can save several hundred bucks.

I had the old Macbook from 2006 which I used for 5 years and recently got rid of it for the MacBook Air 2011.

I loved the charger for the Macbook, it was smart and convenient.

1309687675_125152719_1-Macbook-Pro-Laptop-Adapter-Power-Charger-60-watt-from-50-with-coreWest-Orlando-West-Orlando.jpg

But for the 2011 MacBook Air, this charger is a piece of shit. I hate it when I am plugging it in because it doesn't sit right if you just want to stick it in. When my laptop doesn't charge, I keep thinking I haven't plugged my connection properly to the outlet but in fact it is the charger that is not sitting right in the laptop's port.

apple-macbook-air-charger-60w-magsafe-4214-p.jpg

SMH.

Top Bottom