• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Doytch said:
White people problems, indeed.

I'm Brown.

It is probably not a big deal to the new comers but for somebody who has got used to the older charger like me, it bugs me. It is just that the older mechanism seems to be better and why would you want to spoil it or complicate it...

Recon

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
I had the old Macbook from 2006 which I used for 5 years and recently got rid of it for the MacBook Air 2011.

I loved the charger for the Macbook, it was smart and convenient.

1309687675_125152719_1-Macbook-Pro-Laptop-Adapter-Power-Charger-60-watt-from-50-with-coreWest-Orlando-West-Orlando.jpg

But for the 2011 MacBook Air, this charger is a piece of shit. I hate it when I am plugging it in because it doesn't sit right if you just want to stick it in. When my laptop doesn't charge, I keep thinking I haven't plugged my connection properly to the outlet but in fact it is the charger that is not sitting right in the laptop's port.

apple-macbook-air-charger-60w-magsafe-4214-p.jpg

SMH.

Ill never get rid of my 2009 charger. I fucking hate the new ones. Sometimes when im home, i use my moms 2010 charger, and its just not the same. When i upgrade my macbook pro eventually, ill just keep the old charger and sell the new one with the old laptop. It doesnt seem like a huge deal, but no one i know likes the new chargers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone speak to the heat of the 13-inch MBA? The heat given off by my 3.5 year old MBP is quite uncomfortable.
It's fine. The fans do go on and it isn't ever cool to the touch after using it for a little bit. It's not burning hot but I can't say it's perfectly cool.

I have both an 11" and a 13". The 13" runs cooler, obviously, but it is also a crappy 13" instead of the awesome 11".

Jasoco

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
I had the old Macbook from 2006 which I used for 5 years and recently got rid of it for the MacBook Air 2011.

I loved the charger for the Macbook, it was smart and convenient.

1309687675_125152719_1-Macbook-Pro-Laptop-Adapter-Power-Charger-60-watt-from-50-with-coreWest-Orlando-West-Orlando.jpg

But for the 2011 MacBook Air, this charger is a piece of shit. I hate it when I am plugging it in because it doesn't sit right if you just want to stick it in. When my laptop doesn't charge, I keep thinking I haven't plugged my connection properly to the outlet but in fact it is the charger that is not sitting right in the laptop's port.

apple-macbook-air-charger-60w-magsafe-4214-p.jpg

SMH.
I agree. Apple has really screwed things up with all their cables lately. All my cables from 2009 and before are great. My power adapter from my old 2007 MacBook works perfect if it doesn't heat up a bit too much, and my iPod cable is fine.

But my iPad cable and my 2010 MacBook Pro AC adapter are screwed up beyond all hell. The rubber cover expanded about a half an inch longer than the wire, bunched all up at the end and split in multiple places because Apple refuses to use rubber wire reinforcers at the ends of their cables because they think they "look ugly". So I had to clip off the excess rubber covering and wrap the wire with electrical tape to because I can't be arsed to buy and deal with shrink wire wrap.

The wire cover is literally shredding in multiple places from stress. And the MacOutfitters won't cover it because it's "normal wear". NO IT FUCKING ISN'T NORMAL WEAR! THIS IS NOT HOW A ONE YEAR OLD WIRE SHOULD LOOK!

My 2007 MB AC adapter is awesome. I still use it.

Bboy AJ said:
It's fine. The fans do go on and it isn't ever cool to the touch after using it for a little bit. It's not burning hot but I can't say it's perfectly cool.

I have both an 11" and a 13". The 13" runs cooler, obviously, but it is also a crappy 13" instead of the awesome 11".

I just want to make sure it isn't uncomfortable. The heat would discourage me from ever using the thing on my lap.

Jasoco

Banned
My C2D MBP gets hot as hell on my lap. If the Air is even the least bit cooler, it'll make me happy when I get it.

Lee N

Membre
My Mid-2011 13" Macbook Air is running very cool, it does get slightly warm when I play Torchlight but it's not bad.

Guys, I really just need a final push to get the 13-inch Macbook Air. As with any big purchase, as much as it may be entirely justified, there comes a a certain degree of hesitation. My MBP is now four years old, and hasn't been used as a laptop in nearly two. It remains tethered to a monitor, so I've purchased a netbook to allow for bed typing and note taking.

But as many of you know, netbooks are pretty terrible. The screen's resolution is incredibly low which limits the amount of usable space, and the shitty pixel density is a strain on my eyes. With an Air I'd be able to phase out my MBP (the netbook will stay for notes), and I'd be getting a student discount with a $100 dollar iTunes credit (if I decide before the 20th). Is there anything I'm not considering that should hold me back?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just buy it already. If you don't like it, return it. Done.

Jasoco

Banned
Just remember. The Air's are awesome. But if you need the Pro-ness, either buy a current Pro or wait for the inevitable update that may or may not drop the optical drive and/or make it lighter and thinner. Since no one knows.

Personally, I'm going all out. I decided to get the highest end Air so it can last me as long as possible. I just wish I could buy a 13" Air with an i7 that didn't charge me $300 more for 128GB SSD I don't really need. But I can't buy a 128GB model and get the i7. That's stupid. So I have to decide, i7 and 256 I don't need. Or i5. And yes, I've seen the benchmarks and know the i7 is not a huge amount faster. But still. I want everything I can get.

Question though, serious. What is the current status on the SSD's? Are they still selling models with the older slower SSD? Or have they all sold out already? Since I can't tell by the box, I'm super afraid of getting a slower model.

Bboy AJ

I have the poorer screen and the slower SSD in my 11". Haven't checked the 13". I don't care. It works great. I don't think springing for the i7 over the i5 is worth it but that's your call. I'd rather get a stock configuration and resell. Ultimate models don't have their value as well.

Jasoco said:
Just remember. The Air's are awesome. But if you need the Pro-ness, either buy a current Pro or wait for the inevitable update that may or may not drop the optical drive and/or make it lighter and thinner. Since no one knows.

Personally, I'm going all out. I decided to get the highest end Air so it can last me as long as possible. I just wish I could buy a 13" Air with an i7 that didn't charge me $300 more for 128GB SSD I don't really need. But I can't buy a 128GB model and get the i7. That's stupid. So I have to decide, i7 and 256 I don't need. Or i5. And yes, I've seen the benchmarks and know the i7 is not a huge amount faster. But still. I want everything I can get.

Question though, serious. What is the current status on the SSD's? Are they still selling models with the older slower SSD? Or have they all sold out already? Since I can't tell by the box, I'm super afraid of getting a slower model.

I honestly can't imagine why I'd need a pro. I primarily need this thing for word processing and web browsing, though I will be plugging this thing into a 27-inch monitor. Should that be a problem? I may play the occasional indie game, but none of that is essential.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, for me the i7 would be a $400 extra purchase because I'd be paying for the SSD that I probably won't even use. I'll probably go with the i5 since I'll be able to just walk in and buy it instead of having to wait for it to be built. But if I could spend just $100 more, I'd definitely get the i7. I also wish they had 8GB RAM, but that's not as big a deal for me.

My dad just bought an iPhone to replace his "really crappy" DROID. I said that iPad he got in December was a gateway drug that leads to harder things like iPhones and MacBook's. He's buying my MBP to replace his also "really crappy" Gateway laptop when I get my Air.

So I can't wait to buy my Air. I just hope they filtered out the SSD problem. I wish I could walk into the Apple Store and tell them I'd only buy it if I was guaranteed the better SSD and display. It's literally my big fear.

Bboy AJ

Jasoco said:
I'd only buy it if I was guaranteed the better SSD and display. It's literally my big fear.
Why

dmshaposv

I'm planning to upgrade my ram from 4 GB to 8GB on my 2011 MBP. Would standard kingston laptop ram work? I'm getting it for a good price and the corsair and other mac specific brands are expensive where I live (hurray for limited choice outside U.S!)

Doytch said:
White people problems, indeed.

I'm Brown! D:

But in seriousness the vertical magsafe is truly shit. Doesn't properly sit into the port, feels weak and fiddly and some of my friends have already messed theirs up in some way or form.

Bboy AJ

Jasoco said:
Because I don't want to pay for something I'm not getting. It's like getting 5 dead pixels.
Apple really is a crappy company for doing it, but what are you going to do

You can buy a car with an advertised 300 HP but some cars will put down more HP than others.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No way, magsafe cables have been shit from day one. I have had no less than 3 of the old T models burn out and spark on me. The most recent replacement I got in January is the new L shape and so far I've had no problems. Although, it doesn't stay attached to my computer as well as the T ones did so I have a piece of tape holding it on, lol.

Jasoco said:
Because I don't want to pay for something I'm not getting. It's like getting 5 dead pixels.

How can one tell if they got the lower quality SSD or screen?

And would the MBA be able to play 1080p video on a 27-inch monitor without any issues?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You know, this is just a guess but I'm gonna say yes. Though obviously it depends on the codec.

My C2D w/ 2gigs of ram can play 1080p everything except when playing through flash. At least from what I've encountered. .mkv or h264 I'm sure you're golden.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
So I've just bought and am awaiting hte arrival of my new 13" Macbook Pro and have a couple of questions - if I want to up the RAM from 4 to 8GB, what is a good brand to use, what should I be looking for and how much is decent?( I am UK-based) Also, I'm assuming any old external hard drive is adequate for backing up?

dmshaposv

Yeah ppl some good ram advice. And something that isn't US centric or costs half a liver to ship across the globe (so no newegg.com stuff, good deals but they don't ship int)

I just got back from the Apple store to test out the 13 and 11-inch MBAs, and I was floored by how fast these things are. This probably has more to do with the fact that my laptop is now so old, but I was able to open every app back-to-back and each still loaded almost instantaneously. I'll probably bite the bullet before the end of the week; if this wasn't going to be my primary computer, I'd probably get the 11-inch.

Jasoco

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Apple really is a crappy company for doing it, but what are you going to do

You can buy a car with an advertised 300 HP but some cars will put down more HP than others.
Well I use a Mac for the OS. And I drive a Mercury Mountaineer because it gets me places.
Jimmy Stav said:
How can one tell if they got the lower quality SSD or screen?

And would the MBA be able to play 1080p video on a 27-inch monitor without any issues?
Not sure about the display, but the SSD can be tested with a benchmark which will give a much lower score if you have the slower one. Like super low. Like as good as an off the shelf low-end SSD. i.e. the same score I get on my MBP with a third-party SSD I bought from Kingston. I'm buying an Air for the speed. If I'm not getting that speed, what's the point?

Also, I imagine the Air will play 1080p fine.

Not sure how the display quality can be determined though.

Good to know (regarding HD video). I probably won't even check to see which HD I had been given so I don't worry about it.

Is there any good reason why I should wait for the next round of MBAs? I can't think of any, but maybe there's something I'm not considering. I suppose I'm a bit paranoid because i want to get as many years out of it as possible, as my old, base model 15-inch MBP lasted me nearly four years.

Edit: Should I maybe pay extra for the processor speed bump? I wouldn't necessarily mind because I'm already getting a slight discount.

Edit 2: Can I not get the faster processor without getting a 256gb SSD?

Bboy AJ

Jasoco said:
I'm buying an Air for the speed. If I'm not getting that speed, what's the point?
You are getting that speed. You can talk about benchmarks all you want but there's no real world difference between the two. Have you used the new MBAs?

As for how you can find out which you have:

SSD Identification

-Applications > Utilities > System Profiler /click on the apple to the top left > about this mac > more info
-Find Serial-Ata on the left bar about 15 items down
-Post what's written on your device tree to the right under intel 6

example: 11" - TS128C

Display Identification

-open terminal
-paste 'ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6' (without quotes)
-the first line is your display model

I figure I'll say something since y'all aren't. It's looking like if I get the Macbook Air I may end up actively using 3 different laptops, which I'm not looking forward to.

1. Netbook for lecture notes. I prefer this to taking something more expensive because I don't have to care about what happens to it. I ride my bike to campus, so you never know.

2. Macbook Air as my primary computer for doing work.

3. Old MBP that I'll leave plugged into an external hard drive and monitor for music and video playback. I wish I could phase this thing out completely, but this would mean that I can't listen to music when I'm not sitting at my desk (if I were to only use the MBA). I wish there was a better way of doing this, as I really don't want to keep this thing around.

Hopefully I'll be able to work out a more ideal combination.

(and seriously, should I get an i7? See my previous post for more details)

Blackhead

Redarse
Jimmy Stav said:
I figure I'll say something since y'all aren't. It's looking like if I get the Macbook Air I may end up actively using 3 different laptops, which I'm not looking forward to.

1. Netbook for lecture notes. I prefer this to taking something more expensive because I don't have to care about what happens to it. I ride my bike to campus, so you never know.

3. Old MBP that I'll leave plugged into an external hard drive and monitor for music and video playback. I wish I could phase this thing out completely, but this would mean that I can't listen to music when I'm not sitting at my desk (if I were to only use the MBA). I wish there was a better way of doing this, as I really don't want to keep this thing around.

1. Why do you need a netbook for notes?

3 Can't you replace that with an appletv or boxee box?

Greyface said:
1. Why do you need a netbook for notes?

3 Can't you replace that with an appletv or boxee box?

I don't want to risk hauling my primary computer to and from school. With Dropbox, it doesn't really matter what I use. The size of the netbook is also better for the unusably small desk space we're given.

And the AppleTV option wasn't something I had ever considered, but it doesn't look like it'll do everything I need it to. Will I be able to plug in an external HD into it and play music/movies from there?

Blackhead

Redarse
Jimmy Stav said:
I don't want to risk hauling my primary computer to and from school. With Dropbox, it doesn't really matter what I use. The size of the netbook is also better for the unusably small desk space we're given.
I didn't make myself clear the first time — why do you need a laptop/netbook for notes? Could you take those notes on smartphone or cheap tablet (with a keyboard accessory if needed) or perhaps even one of those recording pens I see mentioned on engadget every so often.

Jimmy Stav said:
And the AppleTV option wasn't something I had ever considered, but it doesn't look like it'll do everything I need it to. Will I be able to plug in an external HD into it and play music/movies from there?
You can plug in an external hd to the boxee box and play music and movies from there.

Greyface said:
I didn't make myself clear the first time — why do you need a laptop/netbook for notes? Could you take those notes on smartphone or cheap tablet (with a keyboard accessory if needed) or perhaps even one of those recording pens I see mentioned on engadget every so often.

You can plug in an external hd to the boxee box and play music and movies from there.

Keeping the netbook around isn't the problem for me, but rather the presence of the MBP (which isn't such a huge problem in itself, just clumsy).

The Boxee Box seems pretty functional, but not entirely worth paying nearly $200 for when the only thing I'd be using it for is playing music when I'm not at my desk.

This is some First World shit right here.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jimmy Stav said:
Keeping the netbook around isn't the problem for me, but rather the presence of the MBP (which isn't such a huge problem in itself, just clumsy).

The Boxee Box seems pretty functional, but not entirely worth paying nearly $200 for when the only thing I'd be using it for is playing music when I'm not at my desk.

This is some First World shit right here.
Hey just trying to help. I'd assume the MBP would easily fetch $200, if not more, needed to Boxee Box and the AppleTV is only a $100. erm, why won't you use the netbook for music and movies?

Bboy AJ

It's a laptop that's cheap. Who cares about taking it to class. It's not a Ferrari.

Greyface said:
Hey just trying to help. I'd assume the MBP would easily fetch $200, if not more, needed to Boxee Box and the AppleTV is only a $100. erm, why won't you use the netbook for music and movies?

Err, the First World comment was directed at myself, not you. Since my data is "Mac Formatted," doesn't that rule out the netbook?

What this will probably end up coming down to is just making a few compromises in terms of convenience because I don't think there's any hassle-free combination that won't involve me spending an unreasonable amount of extra money. Your advice is appreciated.

Bboy AJ said:
It's a laptop that's cheap. Who cares about taking it to class. It's not a Ferrari.

$1300 is not cheap for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jimmy Stav said:
Err, the First World comment was directed at myself, not you. Since my data is "Mac Formatted," doesn't that rule out the netbook?

What this will probably end up coming down to is just making a few compromises in terms of convenience because I don't think there's any hassle-free combination that won't involve me spending an unreasonable amount of extra money. Your advice is appreciated.

$1300 is not cheap for me.
music and movies are "mac formatted"!? They don't play in iTunes on Windows? Now, I'm confused.

Greyface said:
music and movies are "mac formatted"!? They don't play in iTunes on Windows? Now, I'm confused.

My external hard drive is. I've tried plugging it into the netbook before and it wouldn't recognize it.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Just got my iMac 27 and this thing is a beast .. My first Mac and I am more than thrilled... Sucks that my traveling season is starting and I can't bring it with me for two months

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Greyface said:
i imagine he means the disk is formatted for HFS+?

scorcho said:
i imagine he means the disk is formatted for HFS+?

All I know is that PCs don't recognize this thing.

Fuck, maybe I should just get an 11-inch? Or maybe I shouldn't bother at all and endure the old MBP/Netbook combo? I am an indecisive asshole.

Jasoco

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:

Keep the Netbook but put Dropbox on it to save documents in. And only save documents there.

Then get the 13" Air as your primary laptop.

As for the third, I don't see why you count it if it just sits around playing video and music on your TV. I used my old white MacBook the same way until I replaced it with a Mac mini. I't say keep it until you replace it with something else. Whether it's an AppleTV (Which can play music from iTunes and video from iTunes via AirPlay) or a Boxee Box or a Mac mini or a cheapo mini-style PC. Personally, I use my Mac mini for playing videos directly from a connected drive via Plex, or use AirFoil to play iTunes from my MacBook via AirPlay. (The latest update to AirFoil removed the requirement for a secondary app on the machine sending the audio because they implemented AirPlay into the playback app side.) But then again, the mini can do a lot more than a Boxee Box or an AppleTV or even a Roku which is able to play Plex stuff. Just remember the AppleTV or the Roku can't connect a HDD.

coldvein

Banned
need a new laptop and was thinking about trying out my first mac. thinking about one of these macbook pros.. 13 inches is fine.. not sure if i should go with "low end" or "high end" though. i don't want to feel like i purchased some inferior garbage.;

Jasoco said:
Keep the Netbook but put Dropbox on it to save documents in. And only save documents there.

Then get the 13" Air as your primary laptop.

As for the third, I don't see why you count it if it just sits around playing video and music on your TV. I used my old white MacBook the same way until I replaced it with a Mac mini. I't say keep it until you replace it with something else. Whether it's an AppleTV (Which can play music from iTunes and video from iTunes via AirPlay) or a Boxee Box or a Mac mini or a cheapo mini-style PC. Personally, I use my Mac mini for playing videos directly from a connected drive via Plex, or use AirFoil to play iTunes from my MacBook via AirPlay. (The latest update to AirFoil removed the requirement for a secondary app on the machine sending the audio because they implemented AirPlay into the playback app side.) But then again, the mini can do a lot more than a Boxee Box or an AppleTV or even a Roku which is able to play Plex stuff. Just remember the AppleTV or the Roku can't connect a HDD.

That's what I'm currently doing with the netbook.

The problem is that if I have my old MBP always hooked up to my desk monitor/TV, then the temptation will be there to use it over the MBA due to its mouse and keyboard (unless I'm blown away by the MBA's trackpad and gesture support), and that I'm frequently at my desk to browse/eat meals anyway.

I want an MBA for bed computing (which seems to be in the only place I can write) and for having a functional computer when I visit my parents/need to get actual work done on campus (the netbook doesn't cut it). I just feel like if I'm adding a third computer into the rotation it'll feel like an added convenience, but not something I needed to drop $1300 on. I need it to be more substantial than that. I want this to replace the MBP.

If only the 13-inch Air came standard with 256GB then I could store my music locally play it over an Apple TV when I'm not at my desk. Decisions, decisions!

EDIT: I find it interesting that you tended to use your laptop over what was plugged into a larger monitor. You didn't feel like you were missing out?

Jasoco

Banned
I used my old white MacBook as my server until I was able to buy a mini. Because I replaced it with a MacBook Pro. That white MacBook is resting in pieces in a box now.

Does the Apple Store clean or replace keyboards on a MacBook? Some of my keys are all mushy when I click them, and I doubt that's grounds to exchange it although I'm within warranty.

Kong Fisso said:
i think you can install a driver that let's windows read apple file systems

I deal with this shit every semester. Mac at school, PC and Mac at home.

I make two partitions on my external drive using the Macintosh. One is HSF+ and the other is FAT32. HSF+ is simply for files that are larger than 4GB in size such as Video files. (Which makes sense because Final Cut Pro doesn't work on the PC)

This way the Mac can read both partitions and Windows can at least read the FAT32 partition.
If, for whatever reason, I need to send files from my Mac to my PC I just use the Mac's Drop Box folder then log in from my Windows PC and grab the files.

There is a program called HFSExplorer for windows that can read HFS+ but, I don't think it can write to the drive from windows. There is a program called MacDrive that can read and write from the windows environment but it costs money.

And just to rant... No clue why they decided to go with Radeon cards for Macs. Bad move if you ask me.. No CUDA plus Viewport issues in Maya.

Top Bottom