• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

kidko

Alright, I need some help here guys. I just bought a Western Digital 2TB My Passport hard drive. I had a Macbook Air which I got rid of a while ago and I am waiting for the Haswell Retina updates.

I want this hard drive to be read/write on both Windows and Mac because my work laptop is Windows.

NTFS - Not writable on Mac
FAT 32 - Has its limits

How about exFAT32/FAT64? Is this a solution to make my hard drive compatible for both Windows and OSX?

I want to copy my data from my older hard drive to this new one but I want to format the hard drive first before I move data around.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like exFAT is exactly what you need. Just keep in mind some systems don't support it, such as TVs that stream video from PCs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This "Ultrabook" I'm using is using a 1366x768 screen with dreadful viewing angles...so no.
The 11" Air has that resolution. I personally think the 1440x900 on the 13" is too small. Which is why I eagerly await a Retina Pro 13" so I can use 1680x1050 finally. Coincidentally the same resolution I have on my 2005 20" ACD which still works great today.

Laekon

If I back up a Mac using 10.8 can I restore it to another Mac with 10.8 to get all the same settings, programs, and files? It looks like the Migration Assistant was created specifically for this but most articles refer to using it over USB/firewire and not from a back up.

Anyone find that 4gb ram is enough for Office, web, and light graphic use? I've been trying to use the build in system monitor to find out but it almost always shows 1gb or more free.

Deku Tree

If I back up a Mac using 10.8 can I restore it to another Mac with 10.8 to get all the same settings, programs, and files? It looks like the Migration Assistant was created specifically for this but most articles refer to using it over USB/firewire and not from a back up.

Anyone find that 4gb ram is enough for Office, web, and light graphic use? I've been trying to use the build in system monitor to find out but it almost always shows 1gb or more free.

I always Max out the ram for future proofing with new Mac computers that do not have user upgradable RAM.

And yes you can use Migration Assistant to do that over USB/firewire/thunderbolt or whatever... I did it yesterday over WiFi too with my new 11" MBA.

mrkgoo

You should be able to use Migration assistant to move over stuff from a Time Machine backup.

In other news, I have an external Seagate 1TB USB 3 drive. I had it on my old MAcbook pro, adn one tim eI woke myMac, and it popped up with "Drive not ejected properly" warning. whoops. I thought I had bumped the cord. Oh well, no harm done I think. It checked its own journal and fixed itself, presumably.

But jsut recently, on my new iMac, it did the same thing. Of course, no bumping was involved. I noticed it was at the same time, waking from sleep.

On some research, it is a more common issue than I had thought. In some cases, it's because the drive itself powers down when the computer is asleep, and when the computer wakes, it looks for the drive before it can wake, thus thinking it was disconnected.

Does anyone else get this? What can I do about it that doesn't require installing a script to auto eject when sleep etc.?

Maybe I should jsut get in the habit of unmounting my drive if I'm going to leave it.

Vaguely remember there being a piece of software I installed that unmounts drives on sleep and then remounts on wake up. Needed it because otherwise the minidrive adapter would prevent my macbook from sleeping.

FAKE EDIT: ah, it's called "Jettison". 1.99 on the app store. Not mandatory but streamlines things.

Vaguely remember there being a piece of software I installed that unmounts drives on sleep and then remounts on wake up. Needed it because otherwise the minidrive adapter would prevent my macbook from sleeping.

FAKE EDIT: ah, it's called "Jettison". 1.99 on the app store. Not mandatory but streamlines things.

I tried it when I got my minidrive and promptly got an App Store refund because it didn't work correctly in ML on my rMBP. It would unmount the drive fine, but it wouldn't remount it at all basically defeating the purpose for which I bought it.

I tried it when I got my minidrive and promptly got an App Store refund because it didn't work correctly in ML on my rMBP. It would unmount the drive fine, but it wouldn't remount it at all basically defeating the purpose for which I bought it.

Interesting...I'll take a closer look at it. I haven't had a problem with remounting yet but maybe there's something I didn't config right.

Now I'm wondering if I didn't have something configured right if it is working for you.

Looking through my notes, I think I didn't use it right when I bought it. Didn't know that it has to have an icon on the system bar (the top bar). So I opened the app manually, it asked if Jettison should start whenever I login, and now it's always there.

As best I can tell it is working; if I leave an app or window open that needs the miniDrive (ie: a finder window in a minidrive folder, or iTunes since I'm using the miniDrive as the itunes folder) the drive is not ejected and next time I open up there's a message telling me it couldn't eject because something needed it. But close those apps or windows and no complaint.

Anyway I'm using latest Mountain Lion. Jettison web site says you need 1.2.3 of the app for it to work in ML but I don't recall ever seeing a Jettison app update since I bought it. Never had a problem with it remounting...not very helpful to you but perhaps just a sign that it can work?

Looking through my notes, I think I didn't use it right when I bought it. Didn't know that it has to have an icon on the system bar (the top bar). So I opened the app manually, it asked if Jettison should start whenever I login, and now it's always there.

As best I can tell it is working; if I leave an app or window open that needs the miniDrive (ie: a finder window in a minidrive folder, or iTunes since I'm using the miniDrive as the itunes folder) the drive is not ejected and next time I open up there's a message telling me it couldn't eject because something needed it. But close those apps or windows and no complaint.

Anyway I'm using latest Mountain Lion. Jettison web site says you need 1.2.3 of the app for it to work in ML but I don't recall ever seeing a Jettison app update since I bought it. Never had a problem with it remounting...not very helpful to you but perhaps just a sign that it can work?

They have a free 15 day trial of 1.2.4 on their website, I'll download it and see if it works correctly. Reading through the reviews on the App Store page, it seems as though I'm not the only one have problem with getting drives (specifically a minidrive in the SD card slot) to remount.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does a device exist for OS X that will let me plug a console in via Component and play on my computer while also optionally recording the video?

It would connect to the computer via either USB2 or 3 and would have Component input and HDMI, but Component is important.

Just curious.

mrkgoo

Do Component ones exist? I want to capture/play Wii games through it but I only have Component. Although when I get a Wii U with HDMI it would work, right? How does the Wii U output its 480p picture through HDMI when playing a Wii game? Scaled up to 720p or actual 480p?

No idea. My WiiU is still unopened, and I don't even have a TV.

Deku Tree

Do Component ones exist? I want to capture/play Wii games through it but I only have Component. Although when I get a Wii U with HDMI it would work, right? How does the Wii U output its 480p picture through HDMI when playing a Wii game? Scaled up to 720p or actual 480p?

Wii U in Wii mode outputs a 1080p signal through HDMI.

TUSR

Banned
Does a device exist for OS X that will let me plug a console in via Component and play on my computer while also optionally recording the video?

It would connect to the computer via either USB2 or 3 and would have Component input and HDMI, but Component is important.

Just curious.

Black magic products

Intensity Extreme is their flagship device.

The Elgato Game Capture HD comes with a Component adapter.

What's Included
  • Elgato Game Capture HD
  • Quick Start Guide
  • USB cable
  • HDMI cable
  • PlayStation 3 cable
  • Component adapter

jts

...hate me...
Guise, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the new MBA purchase. Running weary of my 2010" MBP. Too hot. Too short lasting battery. Too low res. Too heavy. Too slow...ish.

I want a 13", already decided to max out the RAM and CPU, the thing is... I'm going mad over deciding about the storage.

Price difference between 128 and 512 is a staggering EUR 500, USD 650 if you will.

Of course, there's the compromise 256GB, actually looking really good right now.

But I am using more than 500GB on my MBP right now :( Mostly crap and non-essencial stuff.

I can go leaner. Nah, can't go 128GB. My laptop is my main computer.

So maybe 256GB + one of these puppies?

20120404001617-final_inside.png

Paired with an inexpensive 64GB micro SDXC card. Or a couple of them as I go along.

Still, do you think that, say a year goes by, will it be likely to find a PCIe SSD like the MBA has, available on the market for a perhaps more interesting price than Apple usually charges?

I'm spoiled by the vast storage I currently have available :( Download anything, rip, duplicate, install, don't care.

I've always wondered when will we finally get the point that the storage will not be an issue anymore. Damn iitttttttt.

Please share thoughts and recommendations. How do you juggle storage and whatnot. (For example, can I just delete my whole damn iTunes library and just run it from iCloud?).

TUSR

Banned
Do either of these do video input with no lag for playing Ames on a computer display? I'm mainly interested in playing on my Mac screen. Recording would be a bonus.

Not to be a dick, but why not ask them about the specifics?

Intensity Extreme runs on Thunderbolt to your computer then you can save to practically any external from there.

Its ridiculously fast.

Guise, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the new MBA purchase. Running weary of my 2010" MBP. Too hot. Too short lasting battery. Too low res. Too heavy. Too slow...ish.

I want a 13", already decided to max out the RAM and CPU, the thing is... I'm going mad over deciding about the storage.

Price difference between 128 and 512 is a staggering EUR 500, USD 650 if you will.

Of course, there's the compromise 256GB, actually looking really good right now.

But I am using more than 500GB on my MBP right now :( Mostly crap and non-essencial stuff.

I can go leaner. Nah, can't go 128GB. My laptop is my main computer.

So maybe 256GB + one of these puppies?

20120404001617-final_inside.png

Paired with an inexpensive 64GB micro SDXC card. Or a couple of them as I go along.

Still, do you think that, say a year goes by, will it be likely to find a PCIe SSD like the MBA has, available on the market for a perhaps more interesting price than Apple usually charges?

I'm spoiled by the vast storage I currently have available :( Download anything, rip, duplicate, install, don't care.

I've always wondered when will we finally get the point that the storage will not be an issue anymore. Damn iitttttttt.

Please share thoughts and recommendations. How do you juggle storage and whatnot. (For example, can I just delete my whole damn iTunes library and just run it from iCloud?).

Have you considered a NAS server for the majority of your large files that don't need every day access? The solution I've adopted for my notebook and desktop computers is the biggest SSD you can afford or need for local storage, then a bunch of 2TB (large disks because my housemates use the NAS as well) disks in a NAS for large files that don't need to be accessed regularly.

I've been fine with a 13" MBA with 256GB + Nifty Minidrive. I don't even need to move files back and forth from the NAS that often. With a fast network that doesn't take much time or effort anyway. Obviously it will depend on your usage, but you might find you don't need all the local storage you have right now if you're honest about what you use regularly.

jts

...hate me...
Have you considered a NAS server for the majority of your large files that don't need every day access? The solution I've adopted for my notebook and desktop computers is the biggest SSD you can afford or need for local storage, then a bunch of 2TB (large disks because my housemates use the NAS as well) disks in a NAS for large files that don't need to be accessed regularly.

I've been fine with a 13" MBA with 256GB + Nifty Minidrive. I don't even need to move files back and forth from the NAS that often. With a fast network that doesn't take much time or effort anyway. Obviously it will depend on your usage, but you might find you don't need all the local storage you have right now if you're honest about what you use regularly.
I used to have a repurposed x86 machine with FreeNAS installed, but eventually I got a bit tired of the big noisy machine and intricate setup and migrated to a Mac mini (with external HDDs) that also doubles as a Media Center.

However the biggest chunks of data I have are my iTunes Library, iPhoto/Aperture Library and apps, and those are really harder to manage externally.

Although I guess that I could migrate my whole iTunes Library to the Mac mini and use iCloud to stream and selectively download tracks to the Macbook. It just feels a bit like micro-managing and I hate that, but if I don't want to churn out hundreds of monies for a 512GB SSD, I guess I have to suck it up.

Mothman91

Anyone know any solutions to fix the bluetooth/disconnecting issues with the magic mouse? I have barely used my magic mouse as I've always used a wired one. Now my wired one has gone to the graveyard, I've started using my magic mouse that came with my iMac a few years ago. It disconnects several times, don't know the issue with it. Can't even play games with it, any help?

TUSR

Banned
Anyone know any solutions to fix the bluetooth/disconnecting issues with the magic mouse? I have barely used my magic mouse as I've always used a wired one. Now my wired one has gone to the graveyard, I've started using my magic mouse that came with my iMac a few years ago. It disconnects several times, don't know the issue with it. Can't even play games with it, any help?

How old is the iMac and how new is the mouse?

Do either of these do video input with no lag for playing Ames on a computer display? I'm mainly interested in playing on my Mac screen. Recording would be a bonus.

I don't have personal experience with either of those, but I would expect probably not. Every capture device I've used converts the raw signal into h.264, which takes a little time, meaning the image on screen will usually be a second or 2 behind. I'm not sure if a product exists that could take a component input and give a real time display on a Mac screen.

asdad123

So I can get a used 13 inch Retina MBP (base with 128gb ssd) with apple care until 2016 for $1100, maybe $1000 if the guy agrees.

I was originally going to get one of the new airs, but this seems like a better deal to me due to the regular processor instead of the ULV. Would it be a wise choice getting the retina rather than the new air?

Ill be mainly doing word/excel/ and maybe a tiny bit of autocad on it.

kennah

So I can get a used 13 inch Retina MBP (base with 128gb ssd) with apple care until 2016 for $1100, maybe $1000 if the guy agrees.

I was originally going to get one of the new airs, but this seems like a better deal to me due to the regular processor instead of the ULV. Would it be a wise choice getting the retina rather than the new air?

Ill be mainly doing word/excel/ and maybe a tiny bit of autocad on it.

I wouldn't want to run Autocad on that machine. Between the extreme resolution and the integrated graphics I can't see it running well at all, especially if you do any 3D. Hell, my boss had trouble running his stuff on his 15" Pro with only 8 gig of ram, had to upgrade it to 16. (Which got me a sweet deal on the 8 for my Pro).

asdad123

I wouldn't want to run Autocad on that machine. Between the extreme resolution and the integrated graphics I can't see it running well at all, especially if you do any 3D. Hell, my boss had trouble running his stuff on his 15" Pro with only 8 gig of ram, had to upgrade it to 16. (Which got me a sweet deal on the 8 for my Pro).

I'm not planning on running it a lot, just maybe if I need to pull something up real quick to edit, not to do full on drawings. I have a desktop at home so that's my main machine, I'd just like something portable. But like I said, it would be mainly for word and excel. Autocad only maybe like once every couple months lol.

Gorgon

I'm not planning on running it a lot, just maybe if I need to pull something up real quick to edit, not to do full on drawings. I have a desktop at home so that's my main machine, I'd just like something portable. But like I said, it would be mainly for word and excel. Autocad only maybe like once every couple months lol.

If you like the aesthetics of the Air and can live without a retina display, then one of the new Airs is by far the best choice. You can put 8 gigs of ram in it, it has a better GPU, a faster SSD (thanks to the PCI-e connection), substantially better batery life, and you can put a processor in it as good as the one on a basic 13'' Pro, all of this for a lower price than the basic Pro. And it will run CAD better because of the lower scree rez.

The only reason why I'm personaly on the fence is that I really hate the aesthetics of the Air and I would really like a retina display, simply because It will be my main computer for the next 4 or 5 years. Otherwise, the new Airs, pumped up and still lower priced, are the obvious choice. Of course, unless you need to make a choice right now (I need to decide in August), you better wait or you may regret it.

Does anyone have a rough idea when the new Macbook Pro will be announced?

I'm pretty much 90% close to just getting the new Air, but if the new pro will be shortly announced I might just wait.

I'm pretty much 90% close to just getting the new Air, but if the new pro will be shortly announced I might just wait.

I hate to say this, though thank Tim Cook and his doubling down on internal leaks. Are you looking at a 13" retina? If so, one of the following three processors make the most sense.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75990 <--- i5-4258U
http://ark.intel.com/products/75991 <--- i5-4288U
http://ark.intel.com/products/75992 <--- i7-4558U

All three are built with the Iris 5100 graphics. The Iris Pro is the 5200.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I'm placing my money on a year after last year's models. Which is to say October.

The Air's are great machines though. If you don't absolutely need the Retina display of a RPro or the optical drive and slight speed bumps and RAM max of a normal 13" Pro, get one. But Pro updates probably won't be until October.

TUSR

Banned

You know unless hes running 4 different instances of AutoCAD he should run into problems with 8GB of RAM.

I'm placing my money on a year after last year's models. Which is to say October.

The Air's are great machines though. If you don't absolutely need the Retina display of a RPro or the optical drive and slight speed bumps and RAM max of a normal 13" Pro, get one. But Pro updates probably won't be until October.

It seems the only way to get the 8GB RAM model is to buy it directly from Apple or I guess by the RAM yourself?

Is this pretty much my only option?

I wish Amazon had it since I'd get the free 12 months financing as well.

Fuchsdh

It seems the only way to get the 8GB RAM model is to buy it directly from Apple or I guess by the RAM yourself?

Is this pretty much my only option?

I wish Amazon had it since I'd get the free 12 months financing as well.

For the Macbook Airs? Yeah, since the RAM is soldered you need to max it out online.

Top Bottom