• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

The properly-sized MBP has never had a discrete GPU and I support any initiative that rids the world of the shameful notebook-gamer.

Sometimes you have to game on the rig you have. My 3,1 MBP was decent enough to play Valve's games and Starcraft (until they boosted the system reqs for HotS) since I maxed my RAM to 6GB and went with the best card option (8600GT I think.) It still holds its own, but for the three and a half years I was in college I didn't have the money or even the premises to consider upgrading to a dedicated desktop.

That was quick, praise be to Bobby Mansfield (SAW) for saving another soul.

Years ago I planned on building my own gaming rig when I had the coin, but now that I do I really can't see the advantages for me. Console gaming is a lot less headaches than dealing with Windows on another rig or Boot Camp. I am going to buy myself an old Classic machine at some point just so I can be sure I'll have my old 90's Mac games forever. I get a kick of thinking about having my kids play them and what they'll think.

Long live Spectre

Tigel

Anybody have any tips on how to calibrate my new Macbook air screen?
It's an LG screen. I have tried the MacRumors color profile (CustomMacRumors), but I find it a bit too contrasty as the blacks seam to be crushed a little.

Fuchsdh

It's an LG screen. I have tried the MacRumors color profile (CustomMacRumors), but I find it a bit too contrasty as the blacks seam to be crushed a little.

Just calibrate it yourself using the advanced options?

Aside from getting a color monitor that's probably your best bet (although I've never calibrated a laptop screen, I figured the viewing angles would probably screw up any attempt to be accurate without extra hardware).

Mobius 1

To be honest with you, the factory calibration is quite good and it's unlikely you will get better results without a hardware calibration device.

That doesn't mean you can't adjust it to your own taste using the advanced options. :)

Deku Tree

Can someone direct me to the cheapest, good HDMI solution for both video and audio for Macbook 2012? A friend ordered one off Amazon and it doesn't support sound so I would like to be sure.

EDIT: This should work, right? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025V2VO0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Read the customer reviews. If you can find a few people saying it works, then it might work.

EDIT: You are almost always better off buying monoprice stuff directly from monoprice.

Guess I'll have to give one a go, I'd hate for it to be like permanently using a laptop trackpad. Functional, but frequently frustrating due to lack of precision.

This is going to sound like hyperbole, but it's not: Apple's trackpad is the single best trackpad ever made. The desktop one is just as good as the one on my MacBook Air.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Guess I'll have to give one a go, I'd hate for it to be like permanently using a laptop trackpad. Functional, but frequently frustrating due to lack of precision.
This ain't no "laptop trackpad". The man above me is right. They are amazing. And I use them exclusively. What's a mouse? I dunno. I haven't used one in years. I play FPS games with this damn thing. FPS games. First person period.

Seriously, Apple invented the perfect input system for a non-touchscreen computer. It has the benefits of a touchscreen and the benefits of a computer input device and takes it to 11. I won't even touch a mouse anymore. My Magic Trackpads can do more than my 10 button Logitech ever could.

This ain't no "laptop trackpad". The man above me is right. They are amazing. And I use them exclusively. What's a mouse? I dunno. I haven't used one in years. I play FPS games with this damn thing. FPS games. First person period.

Seriously, Apple invented the perfect input system for a non-touchscreen computer. It has the benefits of a touchscreen and the benefits of a computer input device and takes it to 11. I won't even touch a mouse anymore. My Magic Trackpads can do more than my 10 button Logitech ever could.
The windows drivers for it suck though. I can't stop it from being in tap to click mode and the movement isn't quite right.

But in OSX? Hell yes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The windows drivers for it suck though. I can't stop it from being in tap to click mode and the movement isn't quite right.

But in OSX? Hell yes.
The ones Apple supplies? Yeah. Apple doesn't know how to make Windows software well at all.

The MT works great in Parallels though.

My girlfriends Macbook pro is having some issues with batteri life. it is stuck at 35% and you cant charge it... it dies after 15 minutes once you pull the power cord out. doesnt matter how long it has been plugged in for. its a 2010 model. any advice?

muddream

Banned

That's the Magic Mouse, except for the functional part. Get a traditional mouse & Magic Trackpad. 95% of the time the trackpad is the most comfortable way to use OS X. The Magic Mouse is the type of shameful frankendevice you typically get when Android/Windows manufacturers are trying to one-up each other.

My girlfriends Macbook pro is having some issues with batteri life. it is stuck at 35% and you cant charge it... it dies after 15 minutes once you pull the power cord out. doesnt matter how long it has been plugged in for. its a 2010 model. any advice?

Check the number of battery cycles...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's the Magic Mouse, except for the functional part. Get a traditional mouse & Magic Trackpad. 95% of the time the trackpad is the most comfortable way to use OS X. The Magic Mouse is the type of shameful frankendevice you typically get when Android/Windows manufacturers are trying to one-up each other.
If you have to, the best decision is to get both a Magic Trackpad and a normal mouse. Then you have the best of both worlds. The trackpad is amazing, but you could still have your mouse for other stuff. For instance, while I play FPS games with my trackpad and can't and never could use a mouse for that, my brother NEEDS a mouse. So he keeps a cheap mouse just for Minecraft and other first-person games. Everyone has their own usage habits though. I still highly recommend the trackpad. It will change your opinion and view of "shitty built-in laptop input devices".

Chris R

is there a way of buying a new Batteri?

na she never did that I think. maybe ones or twice over the years.

You can get it replaced at an Apple store for $150 I believe. Thinking about doing it for my MBA since the battery life is only good for maybe two hours now.

kennah

IMG_7804.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this without destroying the screen? Doesn't need to be pretty, just straight.

Deku Tree

I would still pay to let apple fix it, but that is just what I would do.

Alternatively if you are currently still able to use it no problem,
then actually I might personally just use it and let it hang out all dented like that without messing with it.

kennah

I would still pay to let apple fix it, but that is just what I would do.

Alternatively if you are currently still able to use it no problem,
then actually I might personally just use it and let it hang out all dented like that without messing with it.

Sometimes it springs open in my bag, so it is kinda in the way. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what the Apple Store would charge to fix it.

TUSR

Banned
It will never return to its original shape. RIP MacBook corner.

Drop it with the screen open to deform it back.

kakashi08

I know they might come out with a mac air with retina and all that.
I'm really interested in the 15' rMBP. I don't like any laptop under 15'. Should I get it now, or is there a new version of it coming out soon?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this without destroying the screen? Doesn't need to be pretty, just straight.
My Air is dented like that. There's no electronics in the edge of the screen so unless it's making it hard to open the screen it's only a cosmetic problem. Maybe you can straighten it with pliers or something. I haven't attempted it.

kennah

My Air is dented like that. There's no electronics in the edge of the screen so unless it's making it hard to open the screen it's only a cosmetic problem. Maybe you can straighten it with pliers or something. I haven't attempted it.

Yeah, it doesn't stay closed now. I'm not worried about how it looks. I closed the hinge on a pair of chopsticks and that seemed to help, I'll go at it with some clamps tonight.

Fuchsdh

I'm pretty amazed you can warp the aluminum like that. Looking back on the laptops that were pre-unibody it's kind of amazing how much better laptops have gotten even recently.

My Early 2008 MBP has worn off paint where my palms sit and missing corners where the plastic ring broke off. The edge has been separated slightly due to some tabs being broken off, wasn't worth possibly frying every other component to get at it by disassembling. Still performing like a champ though since I maxed the RAM and did a clean install of 10.8.

Yeah I had one of the white MacBooks way back when and that thing was horrendously built. A low end Acer today is probably built better than that thing.

mrkgoo

I'm pretty amazed you can warp the aluminum like that. Looking back on the laptops that were pre-unibody it's kind of amazing how much better laptops have gotten even recently.

My Early 2008 MBP has worn off paint where my palms sit and missing corners where the plastic ring broke off. The edge has been separated slightly due to some tabs being broken off, wasn't worth possibly frying every other component to get at it by disassembling. Still performing like a champ though since I maxed the RAM and did a clean install of 10.8.

I've seen images of the aluminium on old MBP having been eaten away, and it gives me a creepy vibe (there's a word for when you see little holes and get disgusted by it).

It can't be paint though, because the aluminium isn't painted, as far as I know. It's metal corrosion from the chemicals or pH in the sweat, I guess. It never happened to me.

TUSR

Banned

Are you talking about the forming of the unibody or the plastic deformation of the aluminium from the drop? If its the latter, Al isn't the best for impact loads since it has a finite life cycle.

I've seen images of the aluminium on old MBP having been eaten away, and it gives me a creepy vibe (there's a word for when you see little holes and get disgusted by it).

It can't be paint though, because the aluminium isn't painted, as far as I know. It's metal corrosion from the chemicals or pH in the sweat, I guess. It never happened to me.

Trypophobia :lol

Aluminium is typically anodized.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I had one of the white MacBooks way back when and that thing was horrendously built. A low end Acer today is probably built better than that thing.
My 2007 white MacBook is currently in a box in pieces after it fell apart one electronic part at a time less than 3 years after purchase (Last time I decided to not get AppleCare) and I just don't have the heart to throw it away, nor do I know where to recycle it since Apple would probably prefer it be in one piece. Started out as a Crackbook problem, ended with the fan not being able to keep it cool enough to not shut off as well as not being able to not make a loud annoying sound.

Pachimari

Would it be okay, if I use a MagSafe 60W or 85W charger for my MacBook Air which normally uses a 45W?

Will charging become faster or will the battery die out faster?

Fuchsdh

My 2007 white MacBook is currently in a box in pieces after it fell apart one electronic part at a time less than 3 years after purchase (Last time I decided to not get AppleCare) and I just don't have the heart to throw it away, nor do I know where to recycle it since Apple would probably prefer it be in one piece. Started out as a Crackbook problem, ended with the fan not being able to keep it cool enough to not shut off as well as not being able to not make a loud annoying sound.

Laptops are the reason AppleCare is worth getting. I've had a PowerMac 7600, beige G3, Sawtooth G4, Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 and now a refurbed 2008 8-core Mac Pro. All those desktops have never had a hardware issue aside from bad RAM on some third party installs.

My MacBook had its screen start to separate, logic board failure, the old latch break, a battery fail 15 cycles in, and a damaged graphics card. Would have cost me more than I originally paid for the computer to fix, AppleCare made it free. The laptops just take more wear and tear, and I think miniaturized components are more prone to failure, hence why I decided to wait on the Rev B Mac Pros in a year or two to see how they shake out.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 2011 Macbook Air. Can I hook it up to two of these monitors, and if so, how do I do it? (and what extra equipment would I need to buy?)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310/

It's fine if the MBA screen has to be off, as long as I can power the two monitors. Oh, and what resolution would they max out at?

I have a 2011 Macbook Air. Can I hook it up to two of these monitors, and if so, how do I do it? (and what extra equipment would I need to buy?)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310/

It's fine if the MBA screen has to be off, as long as I can power the two monitors. Oh, and what resolution would they max out at?

I don't think so. I think you can daisychain using Thunderbolt, but here you would need some sort of external adaptor that could tell OSX there are two monitors attached. Maybe Matrox sells something, though...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. I think you can daisychain using Thunderbolt, but here you would need some sort of external adaptor that could tell OSX there are two monitors attached. Maybe Matrox sells something, though...

That's what I was afraid of. That's so annoying -- it basically means that you have to buy 2 Apple Thunderbolt displays at $1000 each in order to have dual monitors. I guess with the MBP you have Thunderbolt AND HDMI so it's easier?

You could use a USB-DVI device like this thing, but it's really not an idea setup.

Damn that's expensive. Full 1920x1200 resolution support though. I'm guessing it's slow or something (input lag) since it's over USB?

That's what I was afraid of. That's so annoying -- it basically means that you have to buy 2 Apple Thunderbolt displays at $1000 each in order to have dual monitors. I guess with the MBP you have Thunderbolt AND HDMI so it's easier?

Yeah. Especially the Retina which has dual thunderbolt and one HDMI.

Damn that's expensive. Full 1920x1200 resolution support though. I'm guessing it's slow or something (input lag) since it's over USB?

It seems you have two options

a) USB-DVI. Plenty of lag, don't run fullscreen video on it. Here's one youtube.
b) Matrox Dualhead2go. Still some lag, might be better in some ways than USB-DVI but more expensive as it basically installs as if it's a seperate video card/display interface.

gokieks

Due to it being USB you're going to see pretty high CPU utilization whenever you're doing anything intensive (like playing a video) on it, which is a little problematic when you're using a machine that's already on the under-powered side, so you might well see dropped frames and other performance issues.

I also don't know how well they work under Mac OS X - most of the reviews/tests I've seen are on Windows, and the general consensus is that it's serviceable if you really need an extra monitor, but it's far from ideal.

Targus makes a USB 3.0 one which seems to work better than the old USB 2.0 ones (at least on Windows), but on a 2011 MBA you won't be able to take advantage of that.

Top Bottom