• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Tedesco!

Squire Felix said:
Note: Im not saying its bad one bit. Things an absolute beast.

Do you know any programs that run dual hex processors? Does Final Cut X support that much power?

It's all good!

I am still in the process of installing other software and tweaking the system to my liking. I'll give an update once everything is finished.

After using a new 2011 Macbook Air today at a friends house, i must say i am impressed. The thing is dead silent. Could such silence be achieved by putting a SSD inside a Macbook Pro? The constant fan noise is what annoys me the most out of my 2011 iMac.

TUSR

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
After using a new 2011 Macbook Air today at a friends house, i must say i am impressed. The thing is dead silent. Could such silence be achieved by putting a SSD inside a Macbook Pro? The constant fan noise is what annoys me the most out of my 2011 iMac.
I think the new MBPs have dual exhaust fans that can spin at 6200 RPM. The normal hard drive in a MBP should be making that much noise.

Blackhead

Redarse
Benjamin1981 said:
Fan noise is almost always due to the cpu/gpu. Try smFanControl

smcFanControl only sets the minimum speed, not the maximum. It's useful if you value coolness more than quietness (Apple typically favours the latter).

alterno69

Banned
Silly question.

Do i have to turn off my keyboard and mouse when i turn off the iMac? Or is it ok to leave them on at all times?

JTran2003

Tedesco! said:
It all depends on what you plan to do with your computer.....

Definitely not doing anything heavy like you are (older iMac with intel core 2 duo at 2.4 GHz and 2 gb ram). Mostly just writing up documents, emails, spreadsheets, etc. Really just testing it out since I still have the PC as well to do most of the work... Just got it and am pretty excited to mess with something I am not familiar with.

LCfiner

alterno69 said:
Silly question.

Do i have to turn off my keyboard and mouse when i turn off the iMac? Or is it ok to leave them on at all times?

leave them on. they barely use any battery at all while in standby.

only turn them off if you plan to be away for, like, a week.

Chris R

Best Buy FINALLY got the 13" MBA 128GB in stock. Of course mine has the slower TS SSD. Wondering if I should take it back now or take it to an Apple store to get the better SSD. No sense getting slower performance on a brand new product.

Also need to see if I can get the function keys changed, I don't need screen brightness/backlight brightness on function keys, but I would like my f9-f12 keys acting like they do on my old mac :<

rhfb said:
Best Buy FINALLY got the 13" MBA 128GB in stock. Of course mine has the slower TS SSD. Wondering if I should take it back now or take it to an Apple store to get the better SSD. No sense getting slower performance on a brand new product.

Also need to see if I can get the function keys changed, I don't need screen brightness/backlight brightness on function keys, but I would like my f9-f12 keys acting like they do on my old mac :<
I had to exchange my 11-inch Air because I spilled mango juice on it and made the keys all sticky (shout out to Apple Store CS, who didn't even hesitate to exchange it for free despite me being way outside even the 14-day return window). The first one had the Samsung SSD and the one I have now uses the Toshiba one. I don't notice any difference in real world use, so I'd stick with the one you have as long as you don't have any other problems like dead pixels or a wacky hinge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
rhfb said:

The only people who want to trade out the laptop for the SSD are people who have never even used the laptop. Literally no real world difference between the two drives.

I am looking to get a nice laptop to do some video editing on when I am away from home.

Currently I would like to check out the higher end 13" MBP 2.7ghz i7 model.

Would that be sufficient to export a 720p mp4 from Adobe premiere 5.5? Say in the range of a 15 minute clip within 30 minutes?

How much does the dedicated video matter for Adobe Premiere on the Mac?

thanks!

MThanded said:
I decided to hold off on getting the mbp. There are rumors of a refresh coming at the end of the month.

Is there? I'm looking to get one after a long hiatus from Apple laptops, but maybe I'll just wait...Though I really need one for school at this point.

noah111

Still Alive
Pringler said:
I just came here to praise my Macbook Air. The best Mac hardware I've ever owned. Love it so much.

Regular 13,3" Model. SSD is so awesome. Only gripe is that 128GB is a little bit on the low end. But I'll make it work :)

Also I just got my Synology NAS to work as a Wireless Time Machine. So cool.

Now I'm just waiting for the iPhone 5.

mba.jpg
Dude, I just noticed your keyboard.. What's going on there? Eject=Off, control=ctrl, command=cmd, tap=arrow, return/enter= arrow, plus the keys are all weirdly spaced and width'd...

Where is this from?

Sentry said:
Dude, I just noticed your keyboard.. What's going on there? Eject=Off, control=ctrl, command=cmd, tap=arrow, return/enter= arrow, plus the keys are all weirdly spaced and width'd...

Where is this from?
It's not an English language keyboard, which might explain some of the changes, but all the MacBook Airs have power buttons instead of eject-- it's not like there's an optical drive.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sentry said:
Shit, I totally forgot about that. Do all of them also have that weird enter key as well?
Nope.

Jasoco

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Is there? I'm looking to get one after a long hiatus from Apple laptops, but maybe I'll just wait...Though I really need one for school at this point.
It's a rumor. But it'll probably just be a speed bump. If you can hold off, do, but if not, there's probably no fear in getting one now as the chances of a total redesign are slim until new Intel processors are out.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth going for an iPhone 3GS now? A carrier just unveiled a plan for free 3GS for $30 (USD) Monty fee, which is just about double for my current dumb-phone plan.

Bboy AJ

Lonely1 said:
Is it worth going for an iPhone 3GS now? A carrier just unveiled a plan for free 3GS for $30 (USD) Monty fee, which is just about double for my current dumb-phone plan.
No. I'm sure you can get that cheap monthly fee with the iPhone 5.

LCfiner

Lonely1 said:

you’re asking us? I can’t imagine anyone here would say yes. 3GS will likely be discontinued in 2 weeks and will be the first phone model to be unsupported with OS updates in a year or two.

at least wait a couple weeks to see what Apple has planned for the low-ish end market. you may be able to get an iPhone 4 with that same deal relatively soon.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Bboy AJ said:
No. I'm sure you can get that cheap monthly fee with the iPhone 5.

Well, the current, cheaper, iPhone 4 plan here is $40 USD for two years, with a upfront pay of $250 for the phone. But yes, I can wait a couple of weeks to see if the iPhine 4 drops in price.

alterno69

Banned
Am i the only one here that loves everything Apple but is indiferent to the iPhone? I have a macbook, imac and an ipad but i couldn't care less about iphones. My wife has a 3gs and i have a Defy from Motorola, i don't like the idea of owning a "fragile" phone, the defy is water and shock resistant and that's why i went for it, the iphone is a good looking phone but i'm not a fan of the OS really.

noah111

Still Alive
alterno69 said:
Am i the only one here that loves everything Apple but is indiferent to the iPhone? I have a macbook, imac and an ipad but i couldn't care less about iphones. My wife has a 3gs and i have a Defy from Motorola, i don't like the idea of owning a "fragile" phone, the defy is water and shock resistant and that's why i went for it, the iphone is a good looking phone but i'm not a fan of the OS really.
Yet you have and enjoy an iPad?..

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apple gods please refresh the MBP hardware this week. Even if its only small speed bump. I should have just ordered that mbp last week.

My 5 year old MBP is on its last leg. Cant believe I have had this thing for 5 years.

I've had my MacBook since 07 and it's still great. The cord sucks, though, I've been wiggling it around to make it work for years. Today, I think said cord died completely.

It's an old 60W magsafe, the old kind. after googling it today, I see that they were replacing them for free in 2008 for exactly the kind of behavior mine has always exhibited. I just didn't get the memo. I plan to go to a retail Apple store after work to buy a new one, but now I wonder if they'll just replace it. I mean, it's four years old, clearly out of warranty. But hey, you never know, right?

I thought I posted this already, but I ran through the thread and didn't find it, so I guess not. Anyway...

I got a new MBA about three weeks or a month ago. I freakin' love this thing, but I have one gripe about it. The bottom quarter inch or so of the screen is dimmer than the rest of the screen. I only ever really notice it when I have a white window open close to the bottom edge of the monitor (I'm a side-docker). Anyone else see this issue with the new model MBA? Is it the norm? I've been thinking about calling Apple Care just to see what they think, but wanted to check with gaffers first.

thechristoph said:
I got a new MBA about three weeks or a month ago. I freakin' love this thing, but I have one gripe about it. The bottom quarter inch or so of the screen is dimmer than the rest of the screen. I only ever really notice it when I have a white window open close to the bottom edge of the monitor (I'm a side-docker). Anyone else see this issue with the new model MBA? Is it the norm? I've been thinking about calling Apple Care just to see what they think, but wanted to check with gaffers first.

Hard to say. It could be you being picky, or it could be a legitimate problem with the backlighting. It depends how much dimmer it is. (pics?)

Jasoco said:
It's a rumor. But it'll probably just be a speed bump. If you can hold off, do, but if not, there's probably no fear in getting one now as the chances of a total redesign are slim until new Intel processors are out.

Yea, I went ahead and bought the 13 inch. Really loving it. Haven't had an Apple laptop since the original Macbooks, feels good to be back and man, Lion is really slick. The slight increase in processor speed won't be an issue if that's what it comes down to, I needed a new laptop for school.

Need your guys' opinions on my situation.

I just bought a 13" i7 MBP for video editing (edit about 4-5 hours of video each week).

Now I am thinking I should return it and get a 15" with a quad core i7 and a 13" Macbook Air for when I am away from home (will be doing minimal video editing on the road). I also don't want to get a desktop as it looks like I am moving to Japan early next year and will need to bring a computer to edit with.

Am I crazy to spend $3000 on two laptops?

Pringler

Sentry said:

Where is this from?

HAHA. Thats the German keyboard layout.

CoachKevin said:
Need your guys' opinions on my situation.

I just bought a 13" i7 MBP for video editing (edit about 4-5 hours of video each week).

Now I am thinking I should return it and get a 15" with a quad core i7 and a 13" Macbook Air for when I am away from home (will be doing minimal video editing on the road). I also don't want to get a desktop as it looks like I am moving to Japan early next year and will need to bring a computer to edit with.

Am I crazy to spend $3000 on two laptops?

Probably. How badly do you need the performance difference of desktop? I could understand if there is some crazy CUDA action you need that the MBP ain't supplying, but otherwise that's a pretty good laptop.

(That being said...13" MBP?! uh...how well does video work do at that that small res?)

Jasoco

Banned
Bah. My Optical drive just literally disappeared on my Mac mini.

I was ripping a DVD and halfway through MDRP got stuck and continued to the end, but it wasn't ripping correctly. When it finished it showed an error saying there were lots of bad sectors and the DVD was probably scratched, but when I went over to eject it, the disc was not on the desktop. Disk Utility doesn't have it in its list anymore. And Hardware Profiler (System Information) acts like it doesn't exist. The Serial-ATA list has my hard drive and an "unknown". The disc is still in the drive.

Is there a way to mechanically eject it? I will probably have to take it to the store to have it replaced, but who knows if I'll get the disc back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jasoco said:
Bah. My Optical drive just literally disappeared on my Mac mini.

I was ripping a DVD and halfway through MDRP got stuck and continued to the end, but it wasn't ripping correctly. When it finished it showed an error saying there were lots of bad sectors and the DVD was probably scratched, but when I went over to eject it, the disc was not on the desktop. Disk Utility doesn't have it in its list anymore. And Hardware Profiler (System Information) acts like it doesn't exist. The Serial-ATA list has my hard drive and an "unknown". The disc is still in the drive.

Is there a way to mechanically eject it? I will probably have to take it to the store to have it replaced, but who knows if I'll get the disc back.

Did you try fishing it out? Pipe cleaner or unfurled coat hanger if the metal is thin enough.

Jasoco

Banned
Don't have any pipe cleaner and we really don't have any wire hangers. They're all plastic. Isn't it pretty tightly grabbed in there? There used to be a tiny switch right inside that I could stick a paperclip in to push in the olden days. Did they really get rid of that?

lawblob said:
Question. I want to buy this monitor, how would I hook it up to my 2011 Macbook Pro?

If it has thunderbolt, you need to go Thunderbolt to DVI.
If it has mini displayport, you need to go Mini Displayport to DVI.

Keep in mind with these solutions that you still need a DVI-DVI cable (which you can also get at that site, but which sometimes come with the monitor itself.)

Apple also sells one of these things (DP-DVI) but doesn't seem to sell thunderbolt converters, likely because they want people to upgrade to Thunderbolt displays...

Jasoco said:
Don't have any pipe cleaner and we really don't have any wire hangers. They're all plastic. Isn't it pretty tightly grabbed in there? There used to be a tiny switch right inside that I could stick a paperclip in to push in the olden days. Did they really get rid of that?
As far as I know the button is still there. You can also boot the Mac with the mouse button clicked to make the ODD eject.

Barkley's Justice said:
Just got a 27" Thunderbolt display. It is glarrrrrrrrrrrrre-y! Very distracting.

I...am more interested. I really wish it didn't cost a grand because it would probably be an automatic purchase for me...

Jasoco

Banned
CrudeDiatribe said:
As far as I know the button is still there. You can also boot the Mac with the mouse button clicked to make the ODD eject.
That's the thing. Since the computer doesn't know the drive is there, the eject button and holding the mouse don't work because the hardware doesn't believe the drive exists at all. Something happened with it. It broke halfway through ripping a DVD. Fucking had to be "20 First Dates", didn't it. Damn you Adam Sandler. And damn me for having to rip it just because I happen to own it.

My 2011 Macbook Air is pretty much the best fucking computer I've ever owned. SSD makes a massive difference, seems 2 generations ahead of my 2010 MBP. Hook it up to a 25' screen to do real work.

Beyond that, I own:

iPhone 4
AppleTV 2
iPad 2

Jasoco

Banned
25 feet? Wow, that's a huge display. How far back do you need to sit? That must be a long cable.

I keed! I keed!

njean777

Crazymoogle said:
I...am more interested. I really wish it didn't cost a grand because it would probably be an automatic purchase for me...

If only they had at least one hdmi port on the cinema display I would so buy it, but I like having one screen to do all the work for my xbox, and computers. It sucks they only have one input on the back which is thunderbolt.

Top Bottom