• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

njean777 said:
If only they had at least one hdmi port on the cinema display I would so buy it, but I like having one screen to do all the work for my xbox, and computers. It sucks they only have one input on the back which is thunderbolt.

I wonder if the monoprice adapters for Thunderbolt are bidirectional? Can't seen to find any info on it. They have plenty of T->HDMI but yeah, it would need the other way around in this case.

Question: my iMac is hooked up to my router via wired ethernet, wifi turned off. But I need wifi turned on for things like AirDrop and overnight wifi iPhone syncing with iOS5. So if I turn wifi on, will my iMac stop using the wired ethernet? Or does it use both simultaneously?

Gary Whitta said:
Question: my iMac is hooked up to my router via wired ethernet, wifi turned off. But I need wifi turned on for things like AirDrop and overnight wifi iPhone syncing with iOS5. So if I turn wifi on, will my iMac stop using the wired ethernet? Or does it use both simultaneously?

Shouldn't the iPhone just find the iMac on the network, since the router is on wifi? Or do you mean turn on the wifi on the router and not the imac? Because I have plenty of things hardwired to my router (TV, Xbox), but wifi on so my iMac and other things can connect.

PhoncipleBone said:
Shouldn't the iPhone just find the iMac on the network, since the router is on wifi? Or do you mean turn on the wifi on the router and not the imac? Because I have plenty of things hardwired to my router (TV, Xbox), but wifi on so my iMac and other things can connect.
My Mac is connected to the wifi router via an ethernet cable but I need to turn wifi on on the iMac if I want to use AirDrop.

Gary Whitta said:
My Mac is connected to the wifi router via an ethernet cable but I need to turn wifi on on the iMac if I want to use AirDrop.

You do? Weird. I would think it would work fine since it is on the network anyways.

But airdrop is device to device wifi right? So it would make sense to have both on.

I did have both on for a bit last year, but only for internet sharing. Had the iMac hardwired (since router died), and broadcasting a wifi signal. Dont see how that was any different.

Gary, I'm not speaking from any sort of OSX experience lately, but there used to be a "System Preferences -> Network -> Set Service Order" setting that let you confirm whether your Mac uses LAN or wifi first. As long as you check that, OSX should be smart enough to use the LAN until it runs into a problem, at which point it seamlessly switches to wifi...which should be enough for what you need to do?

njean777 said:
If only they had at least one hdmi port on the cinema display I would so buy it, but I like having one screen to do all the work for my xbox, and computers. It sucks they only have one input on the back which is thunderbolt.

having one cable to power both the laptop and the monitor is nice. the fact that it handles audio is really nice too.

i'm also going to try out the dell U2711. it has the exact same LG screen the Thunderbolt display uses. the big difference is it is matte and not glossy (unless you are in, literally, a totally dark room the glare is apparent).

some other differences: the dell has a shit ton of inputs: dvi, hdmi, displayport...it also has a faster MS response. and you can tilt and raise the dam thing. it's also about $50 cheaper at Amazon. for all intents and purposes, it's the better display. I'll report back in 2 weeks or so.

PhoncipleBone said:
You do? Weird. I would think it would work fine since it is on the network anyways.

But airdrop is device to device wifi right? So it would make sense to have both on.

I did have both on for a bit last year, but only for internet sharing. Had the iMac hardwired (since router died), and broadcasting a wifi signal. Dont see how that was any different.
I turned on wifi and checked network preferences and it says both wifi and ethernet are connected so I guess it's all good?

Jasoco

Banned
Prologue said:
Anyone install a ssd in their macbook pro? Recommendations for brand?
I did. I got a Kingston. They have a 3 year warranty which is good because my first one had a problem within a month. But after getting it replaced quickly it works perfectly. Can't ever go back to HDD. Even using my Mac mini, which is the same exact specs as my MBP is stock, is slower than moles asses in winter in comparison.

Some people recommend the Intel ones though. I bought last December. SSD's have changed even more since then.

railGUN

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I turned on wifi and checked network preferences and it says both wifi and ethernet are connected so I guess it's all good?

Good? You just doubled your internet speed!

Jasoco said:
I don't think it works that way... does it?
The Mac network stack is pretty neat. I don't know if it will gang Ethernet and wifi (can test later, though), but if you have a dual band wifi router, recent Macs will do both G and N at the same time for ~160Mb/s (108+54).

CrudeDiatribe said:
The Mac network stack is pretty neat. I don't know if it will gang Ethernet and wifi (can test later, though), but if you have a dual band wifi router, recent Macs will do both G and N at the same time for ~160Mb/s (108+54).

Really? That is damn cool.

CrudeDiatribe said:
Yeah-- by dual band, I really meant dual antenna, one that can do separate G and N networks.

I know. :) I dont have a dual band router, but if I ever do get one that is a neat trick to try.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish I had an N router. We have Verizon FiOS and it requires us to use the router they gave us. We can add another if we want, but it's too much trouble to call Verizon and ask them to activate it. I'd love to get an Airport.

Anyone with Verizon FiOS use an Airport? Or another N capable router? What did you have to do to get it to work?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
All right, question for video editors and 3D modelers: my company is looking to buy 3 new computers. It's a toss up between:

2011 iMac

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

and

2008 Mac Pro

Model: Z0EM1
Two 3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 1.6 GHz per processor bus
2 GB RAM expandable up to 16 GB, 320 GB hard drive, 16x Double-Layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)
Two FireWire 800 ports, two FireWire 400 ports, five USB 2.0 ports, and two USB 1.1 (on keyboard)

We use 3DS Max and Cinema4D for modeling. We're a very young company, which is why we don't yet have these computers.

njean777

Alfarif said:
All right, question for video editors and 3D modelers: my company is looking to buy 3 new computers. It's a toss up between:

2011 iMac

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

and

2008 Mac Pro

Model: Z0EM1
Two 3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 1.6 GHz per processor bus
2 GB RAM expandable up to 16 GB, 320 GB hard drive, 16x Double-Layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)
Two FireWire 800 ports, two FireWire 400 ports, five USB 2.0 ports, and two USB 1.1 (on keyboard)

We use 3DS Max and Cinema4D for modeling. We're a very young company, which is why we don't yet have these computers.

Hmm I would personally go with the iMac since it has the newer video card. That is my 2 cents.

Quick

Banned
I'm on my last year for AppleCare protection. I haven't had any major problems with my Macbook Pro in my almost three years of ownership, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth renewing it.

Also, I feel like my battery's not been lasting as long as it used to, which I do understand is normal. I used to be able to get around 7 hours of battery life, and I'm down to 4-5 hours. I calibrate monthly, and I don't do anything resource intensive. I had an Apple store employee check it a few months ago, and he said it was fine. I wanted to get it replaced, but he said there was no need to do so. To get it replaced, could I simply ask to them to do it regardless of the state of my battery, or would it have to have anything wrong with it?

Quick said:
I wanted to get it replaced, but he said there was no need to do so. To get it replaced, could I simply ask to them to do it regardless of the state of my battery, or would it have to have anything wrong with it?

I'd be surprised if you could get it swapped unless there was some sort of technical defect, like it was nowhere near its rated charge cycles or something. Losing capacity is just a fact of life with rechargeables...

alterno69

Banned
Ok, huge WTF here, as of this morning my iMac is freaking out every time y play an HD video, the videos look as if a strobe effect was added to them, only happens with HD videos be it local or online :S . This is a new iMac too so could this be hardware or software related? is my computer fucked?

Seeing as i bought this for video editing you could say i'm pretty pissed right now.

Anybody out there with an iMac using a Magic Trackpad? I've never owned a notebook so I've never used a trackpad for an extended period of time, but I'm tempted to pick up one to fidget around with.

AbsoluteZero said:
Anybody out there with an iMac using a Magic Trackpad? I've never owned a notebook so I've never used a trackpad for an extended period of time, but I'm tempted to pick up one to fidget around with.

I really quite like it. Still have a 5-button MS mouse plugged into my Mac Pro, I use them for different things. Use the Magic Trackpad about 80% of the time when I'm not playing a game, though.

Crazymoogle said:
I wonder if the monoprice adapters for Thunderbolt are bidirectional? Can't seen to find any info on it. They have plenty of T->HDMI but yeah, it would need the other way around in this case.

My iMac requires a $150 adapter to plug my Xbox 360 into it, so I'm sure some sort of box with hardware in it to adapt the signal would be required rather than a simple adapter.

CrudeDiatribe said:
I really quite like it. Still have a 5-button MS mouse plugged into my Mac Pro, I use them for different things. Use the Magic Trackpad about 80% of the time when I'm not playing a game, though.

Neat, think I might pick one up sometime this week and give it a whirl. If I like it I'll pass my Magic along down to the girlfriend like I did the mighty mouse before it.

I definitely need a new gaming mouse. The scroll wheel on my sidewinder mouse has been sticky for as long as I remember.

Any decent bluetooth gaming mice?

btkadams

hey guys, you know how the new apple monitors have all the ports on it so you only need to plug your laptop into a thunderbolt connected to it? i currently use all of my sideports and it's annoying to have to unplug/plug all those cables in every time. is there plans of any company releasing a sort of thunderbolt hub that could do the same kind of daisy chaining? there's no way i can afford a 1000 dollar monitor right now haha. i also already have a big screen i use as a second monitor.

btkadams said:
hey guys, you know how the new apple monitors have all the ports on it so you only need to plug your laptop into a thunderbolt connected to it? i currently use all of my sideports and it's annoying to have to unplug/plug all those cables in every time. is there plans of any company releasing a sort of thunderbolt hub that could do the same kind of daisy chaining? there's no way i can afford a 1000 dollar monitor right now haha. i also already have a big screen i use as a second monitor.

Something like this?

21856_large_21816_large_belkin_hub.jpg

http://www.dailytech.com/IDF+2011+Belkin+Shows+Off+Thunderbolt+Express+Dock+/article22715.htm

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've definitely seen some thunderbolt hub prototypes floating aaround. I *think* they're supposed to be out by spring along with tons of other weird thunderbolt stuff like external gpu slots.

btkadams

AbsoluteZero said:
Something like this?

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/21856_large_21816_large_belkin_hub.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.dailytech.com/IDF+2011+Belkin+Shows+Off+Thunderbolt+Express+Dock+/article22715.htm[/url][/QUOTE]
omgomgomgomgomgomg yes

[QUOTE=Jtwo]Yeah I've definitely seen some thunderbolt hub prototypes floating aaround. I *think* they're supposed to be out by spring along with tons of other weird thunderbolt stuff like external gpu slots.[/QUOTE]
sounds awesome. this is exactly what i need.

Why is the fuck is something as simple as a thunderbolt hub taking so long to come out? The port has been on macs for what, almost a year now? Really, next spring? WTF?

AbsoluteZero said:
My iMac requires a $150 adapter to plug my Xbox 360 into it, so I'm sure some sort of box with hardware in it to adapt the signal would be required rather than a simple adapter.

What sort of adapter? I have a feeling I've seen someone mention this one before but it escapes me right this minute...

AbsoluteZero said:
Lion and magic trackpad are SEX.

Seems that my G4 PowerBook is telling me to upgrade soon.

It stopped registering the battery so the moment I pull the plug, it shuts off immediately. Prior to that, if I seemed to move while it was on my lap, it went right into sleep mode. The 12-inch form-factor is awesome but I'll probably be getting a new 13-inch MBP though I wish the MBP came in the 11.7-inch Air factor.

Please Apple, refresh the MBP line for Christmas and I'll be very happy.

Yeah, It's getting a bit ridiculous now, where are all the thunderbolt products? They need to ship a thunderbolt drive enclosure suitable for SSD's...

I just can't believe the iPhone 4S isn't Thunderbolt compatible. Seemed like a no-brainer since the whole Mac line will be by year's end. If anything, Apple would've made a bundle since they certainly wouldn't have included the Thunderbolt cable for free.

LCfiner

Leona Lewis said:
I just can't believe the iPhone 4S isn't Thunderbolt compatible. Seemed like a no-brainer since the whole Mac line will be by year's end. If anything, Apple would've made a bundle since they certainly wouldn't have included the Thunderbolt cable for free.

don’t thunderbolt accessories need big chips in them? or is that just needed on the motherboard?

I can see next year’s model possibly getting the I/O speed increase. (although, really, with wifi sync, iCloud and iTunes match, Apple is making a play to downplay wired connections altogether)

Jasoco

Banned
I'm still currently leaning towards the MacBook Air as my next machine since the Pro 13" still has that dinky resolution. But I'm also thinking that if they did update the Pro's before I buy my machine, I might still end up going down the Pro route again. I mean it would be faster in processor, and I would be moving over my SSD and 8GB RAM. The RAM would end up being twice what I'd be getting on the Air, but the SSD would be half of what I was aiming for with the Air (Top of the line i7 Air with 256GB SSD.) Either way my dad is buying my old Pro. Whether he gets a HDD and 4GB RAM or my 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM depends on Apple.

I'd either be spending $1499 for a Pro with a 2.2GHz i7 and reusing my 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM. But I'd also be getting a useless optical drive which I don't really need or want. Though it would also have the iSight HD camera which the Air does not have. Not that I ever use the one I have, and it's probably the same exact camera that my iPod touch and iPad 2 have if I ever need to record anything.

Or $1699 for an Air with a 1.8GHz i7, 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM. I don't need the 256GB SSD, but I do want the i7. (It was all down to cheap 11" or high-end 13" and the 13" wins on screen resolution alone. Else I'd just get the 11", and still would if it had the resolution as the 13".)

If only the Pro could be updated with the higher screen but with a lighter build and no optical drive but the same RAM limit and iSight.

Either way, as soon as I save up to the price of the high-end Air ($1801 after tax) I'm buying whichever machine floats my boat at the time. If there's no update to the Pro by then, it's an Air for me.

Are there any other limitations to the Air I overlooked? I mean aside from the missing IR sensor that I never use and the missing sleep LED which is a shame. (I love its pulsing) Oh, and the silver bezel which will make me miss my black one maybe a little.

It's a long wait.

Milhouse

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
I'm still currently leaning towards the MacBook Air as my next machine since the Pro 13" still has that dinky resolution. But I'm also thinking that if they did update the Pro's before I buy my machine, I might still end up going down the Pro route again. I mean it would be faster in processor, and I would be moving over my SSD and 8GB RAM. The RAM would end up being twice what I'd be getting on the Air, but the SSD would be half of what I was aiming for with the Air (Top of the line i7 Air with 256GB SSD.) Either way my dad is buying my old Pro. Whether he gets a HDD and 4GB RAM or my 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM depends on Apple.

I'd either be spending $1499 for a Pro with a 2.2GHz i7 and reusing my 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM. But I'd also be getting a useless optical drive which I don't really need or want. Though it would also have the iSight HD camera which the Air does not have. Not that I ever use the one I have, and it's probably the same exact camera that my iPod touch and iPad 2 have if I ever need to record anything.

Or $1699 for an Air with a 1.8GHz i7, 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM. I don't need the 256GB SSD, but I do want the i7. (It was all down to cheap 11" or high-end 13" and the 13" wins on screen resolution alone. Else I'd just get the 11", and still would if it had the resolution as the 13".)

If only the Pro could be updated with the higher screen but with a lighter build and no optical drive but the same RAM limit and iSight.

Either way, as soon as I save up to the price of the high-end Air ($1801 after tax) I'm buying whichever machine floats my boat at the time. If there's no update to the Pro by then, it's an Air for me.

Are there any other limitations to the Air I overlooked? I mean aside from the missing IR sensor that I never use and the missing sleep LED which is a shame. (I love its pulsing) Oh, and the silver bezel which will make me miss my black one maybe a little.

It's a long wait.
Sounds like the low-end 13" sounds just fine for you from the info you gave, is the i7 that big of a difference for you? I have the low-end, and if I could afford to buy anything more I probably wouldn't have. It seems like a huge price difference for someone who considers price a major factor and you could probably get a price-cut if you don't buy it from Apple.

Also, are you willing to wait for a major 2012 update for either the Pro or Air or do you need a new one now?

My impression of my low-end Air experience: SSD makes small tasks faster (as you know) but it slows down or freezes for a short after sleep for me, unlike my 15" Pro (maybe a Lion issue). Also, my fan speeds up a lot.

LCfiner said:
don’t thunderbolt accessories need big chips in them? or is that just needed on the motherboard?

Thunderbolt is an extension of PCI-Express so the 4S would need an interface controller chip, space for the port (lulz) and to be ok'd for the kind of power consumption Thunderbolt currently requires.

So...it's not happening.

More theoretically possible would be standard iDevice sync cable where the Computer end has both the controller and port. Clunky but size-wise not a lot different than some of the other peripherals that work that way. The problem at that point would be expense and usefulness - just what the heck would it be able to do aside from photo transfers as the current photo kit does?

I just can't see Apple bothering until they have a really compelling reason for it. Maybe when the tech is so small it can be trivially included, we could possibly see a replacement sync cable.

Top Bottom